Forum Jump: 

post #2191 of 3874 Old 01-11-2012, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxcd1 View Post

Quick question: I'm thinking on jumping on a sale on the RC360. I see that the only big difference between it and the TX 609 is the THX Cert. Is that any reason to spend $80 bucks more on the 609 or is THX Cert just marketing?

I bought the RC360 for that very reason. No regrets. Go for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2192 of 3874 Old 01-11-2012, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real World View Post

I was just about to post the same question. I'm looking at picking up the Onkyo SKS-HT540 7.1 channel speakers that are on sale online, and am trying to figure out which reveiver I want to pair them with. The Onkyo TX-NR609, or the Onkyo RC360.

I love the NR609 over the Yahama and Pioneer in class options, but people have been telling me to save the $80-90 and opt for the RC360 instead.

Thoughts?

I'm opting for the RC360 myself for 299.00 @pcrichard I'll pocket the money and put it towards some better speakers. I have some old yamaha bookshelf 5.1 and a KLH 10" powered sub. The gimmick thx and vga port hold no value to me on the NR609. I have an older Onkyo 6.1 that is badazz! Cant wait for a new one!
post #2193 of 3874 Old 01-11-2012, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
can somebody explain to me how the sound settings work on my new tx-nr609 please? I "think" sometimes it selects it's own sound mode based on the channel I'm on etc... not sure though. I know sometimes dolby digital is available in the sounds selection and sometimes not. I guess it's based on what the source sound is? I noticed other night on a blu ray movie that I could select trueHD on the bluray discs sound formats in the title screen, so what sound should I have put the reciever on to use truHD? I'm so confused bout this whole sound mode select thing. lol Xbox360, sony bluray player, dish 722k receiver all connected to the 609 through hdmi. hdmi cable going out of 609 to tv. also have an optical digital going from tv to 609 per instruction booklet for 609. thanks for any help
post #2194 of 3874 Old 01-11-2012, 04:43 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked: 1431
^^
The AVR can only play what it receives from the source. For your cable/sat box, set it to Dolby Digital which will play DD 5.1 on the HD channels with DD 5.1 and DD 2.0 on non DD 5.1 HD channels, SD channels, and commercials. When playing a BD, you have to make sure the HD audio track is specifically selected (as sometimes it defaults to the standard DD/DTS) for it to play through to the AVR. What audio are you trying to play from the TV through the optical cable? Do you have an HDMI 1.4/3D TV or older HDMI 1.3 TV?

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #2195 of 3874 Old 01-11-2012, 06:50 PM

thanks jd, i have a new toshiba 65ht2u tv that I bought on black friday. it's not 3D so i assume it's 1.4 hdmi. the book on the onkyo said that if the tv has an optical out, to connect it to the optical input 2 on the avr so i did. I think it's supposed to help with lip sync from what i remember reading somewhere on this forum when i first got the tv and still had my 12 yo avr. I was having bad lip sync probs since it didn't have any delay/lip sync adjustments on it. I have that pretty much sorted out now since getting the 609.

So, basically, as long as I'm getting a dd 5.1 signal to the avr from the sat or bd player, the sound modes are to be set to whatever sounds best to me? I guess I don't really understand what is supposed to be best. seems to me that when the avr says dolby digital it sounds best. When I put it on one of the thx modes it doesn't sound very good to me and the volume is lower. I thought thx was supposed to be the best?
post #2196 of 3874 Old 01-11-2012, 08:12 PM

Exchanged the NR609, got the 2nd one, same video stutter problem.

Conclusion: this is an issue of the NR609!
post #2197 of 3874 Old 01-11-2012, 10:29 PM
wl1
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightman View Post

Or one of the things still common in the setup and the Onkyo responds the same.
post #2198 of 3874 Old 01-12-2012, 03:33 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked: 1431
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevenW View Post

So, basically, as long as I'm getting a dd 5.1 signal to the avr from the sat or bd player, the sound modes are to be set to whatever sounds best to me? I guess I don't really understand what is supposed to be best. seems to me that when the avr says dolby digital it sounds best. When I put it on one of the thx modes it doesn't sound very good to me and the volume is lower. I thought thx was supposed to be the best?

Correct. Whatever sounds best to you is the right answer.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #2199 of 3874 Old 01-12-2012, 04:16 AM

Getting my 509 today. Replacing my 606 for HDMI1.4 support AND so my TiVo Premier will send 1080p to my TV through it.

Looking forward to setting it up.
Sound modes have always been a little confusing to me and I think I may have always just used direct and had audyssey so I could get the sound as the creators wanted it, but apparently by doing this I have not been getting the advantage of audyssey Dynamic EQ and loudness control.

Anyone have experience or words of wisdom regarding these features?

Also,I think the 509 has a way of getting my tv's sound which would be useful since my boys will be hooking up older gaming systems to it.. Anyone have experience-based wisdom on this subject?

Tv is a Samsung UN55D6400

Dwaine
Www.about.me/DwaineStroud

Sing... Worship... Live the Life!
post #2200 of 3874 Old 01-12-2012, 05:32 AM

I wouldn't worry about it. I have Martin Logan Aerius i speakers that can go down to 2ohms (though I doubt they actually ever do). Been running these things flat out for over 6 months with no problems at all.

let 'er rip & enjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbannist View Post

I bought a TX-NR609 a few months ago knowing that I'd also be upgrading some of my speakers, and for the speakers I was expecting to get, it would be a great receiver. And so far it has been great for my needs.

However, my "good problem to have" is that my wife (who is a fan of aesthetics) upgraded my budget pretty significantly and I've ended up with three Totem Tribe 3 speakers as my LCR. They are 4 Ohm speakers (89 dB sensitivity) and I'm reading conflicting reviews about whether it's wise to use this receiver.

On the face of it, Onkyo is pretty clear about not using the receiver with 4 Ohm speakers (for all of the reasons I've seen mentioned on these boards and others). But, I have read a decent number of posts (again here and elsewhere) that say as long as the receiver is decently ventilated (it is) and we aren't planning on turning the volume up to the max (we're not) that it is fine to do this with speakers with good sensitivity (which I think based on those numbers, these speakers would qualify)

That said, I really don't want to bust these speakers, nor do I want to burn out the receiver. I've turned the receiver on with the speakers and watched a bit of TV and listened to some music, and so far so good, but the receiver is running quite hot (whether it's hotter than it was with my old 8 Ohm speakers I can't say) - although not burning hot.

It seems that the simple answer is just to get a better receiver, but wanted to get opinions. If a new receiver is the way to go, does Onkyo make anything good? I like the Onkyo interface so far and if I can keep it, that would definitely be better. Or what are my other options?

Thanks!

post #2201 of 3874 Old 01-12-2012, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

thanks jd, i have a new toshiba 65ht2u tv that I bought on black friday. it's not 3D so i assume it's 1.4 hdmi. the book on the onkyo said that if the tv has an optical out, to connect it to the optical input 2 on the avr so i did. I think it's supposed to help with lip sync from what i remember reading somewhere on this forum when i first got the tv and still had my 12 yo avr. I was having bad lip sync probs since it didn't have any delay/lip sync adjustments on it. I have that pretty much sorted out now since getting the 609.

You will not get any HD audio via optical audio connection. You need HDMI connection for those. Also, make sure your listening mode presets are set up correctly.
post #2202 of 3874 Old 01-12-2012, 07:36 AM
wl1
Advanced Member

Quote:

There are too many Listening Modes. You should start by using the Remote Control buttons Movie, Music Game and THX.

Each of these scroll through the various pre-selected Listening Modes for that particular "activity".

So if you are listening to music, hitting Music constantly scrolls through the most relevant Listening Modes for you for music.

Recommendation from me:-

For 2 Ch. Music
Pure - has NO Audyssey correction, display turned off, video processing turned off - no bass/treble controls
Direct is similar but allows display to be on (ot sure about video processing)
Stereo - allows Audyssey controls, and bass/treble adjustments.
All Channel - very bad IMO - do not use.
Any other "surround" mode - not for me. Might be more relevant for MultiChannel Source ie if DVD-A or SACD etc, so you can then play.

For Movies
If HD track (TrueHD or DTSHD-MA), then I use Straight Decode.
For DVD DTS/DD try Straight Decode too, but you might try THX.

For Games -
Your preference

THX - This is extra processing on top of the decoding - you can try it, but its a preference thing.

For Set Top Box stuff, your original post about adjusting to the source applies, with the guidelines above.
post #2203 of 3874 Old 01-12-2012, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wl1 View Post

There are too many Listening Modes. You should start by using the Remote Control buttons Movie, Music Game and THX.

Each of these scroll through the various pre-selected Listening Modes for that particular "activity".

So if you are listening to music, hitting Music constantly scrolls through the most relevant Listening Modes for you for music.

Recommendation from me:-

For 2 Ch. Music
Pure - has NO Audyssey correction, display turned off, video processing turned off - no bass/treble controls
Direct is similar but allows display to be on (ot sure about video processing)
Stereo - allows Audyssey controls, and bass/treble adjustments.
All Channel - very bad IMO - do not use.
Any other "surround" mode - not for me. Might be more relevant for MultiChannel Source ie if DVD-A or SACD etc, so you can then play.

For Movies
If HD track (TrueHD or DTSHD-MA), then I use Straight Decode.
For DVD DTS/DD try Straight Decode too, but you might try THX.

For Games -
Your preference

THX - This is extra processing on top of the decoding - you can try it, but its a preference thing.

For Set Top Box stuff, your original post about adjusting to the source applies, with the guidelines above.

Too many listening modes? Not really. Matter of opinion, I guess. But, if listening modes are not set correctly, he will get that annoying click when the station changes audio formats between commercials and programs.
post #2204 of 3874 Old 01-12-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpology26 View Post

I'm opting for the RC360 myself for 299.00 @pcrichard I'll pocket the money and put it towards some better speakers. I have some old yamaha bookshelf 5.1 and a KLH 10" powered sub. The gimmick thx and vga port hold no value to me on the NR609. I have an older Onkyo 6.1 that is badazz! Cant wait for a new one!

Just a heads up, I was told elsewhere about the price at PC Richard, as well as the fact that if you sign up for their mailing list, they send you a $15 off promo code. So if you haven't ordered yet, make sure you sign up and save yourself $15.

If you just bought a Samsung LN-T5271f like me, then read the FAQ. It's very, very helpful.

Samsung LN-T5271f FAQ
post #2205 of 3874 Old 01-12-2012, 10:16 AM
wl1
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1 View Post

Too many listening modes? Not really. Matter of opinion, I guess. But, if listening modes are not set correctly, he will get that annoying click when the station changes audio formats between commercials and programs.

There are 65 Listening Mode options within ORemote for my AVR. I am now down to 11. From the posts here and elsewhere, Listening Modes are not very well understood, a cause of confusion/annoyance. And I think will result in many listening to the wrong DSP for the input source.

It is a matter of opinion, its just that some are right ;-)
post #2206 of 3874 Old 01-12-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There are 65 Listening Mode options within ORemote for my AVR. I am now down to 11. From the posts here and elsewhere, Listening Modes are not very well understood, a cause of confusion/annoyance. And I think will result in many listening to the wrong DSP for the input source.

It is a matter of opinion, its just that some are right ;-)

I am referring to the listen mode "presets" within the menu. Not 65 of those. And, no remote button to set them, they have to be set within the menu. Just set the DTS-MA, DTS, TrueHD and Dolby to straight decode, and the other non-stereo formats to the surround setting of your choice.
post #2207 of 3874 Old 01-12-2012, 11:28 AM
wl1
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1 View Post

I am referring to the listen mode "presets" within the menu. Not 65 of those. And, no remote button to set them, they have to be set within the menu. Just set the DTS-MA, DTS, TrueHD and Dolby to straight decode, and the other non-stereo formats to the surround setting of your choice.

That is good advice for presets - I think we were talking different parts of the setup.

I pasted this from these forums elsewhere, might be useful - apologies if it is a repeat.

No. 9 issue - Not setting Listening Modes for 2 channel sources
This is mostly an issue for your cable TV input. If you don't set a listening mode for 2 channel sources, you'll occasionally hear loud relay clicks when a program goes to a commercial or when changing channels. When that happens while switching to a program or commercial with a 2 channel soundtrack, just press the Surr button or THX button on your remote to select a 5.1 or 7.1 surround mode. Your receiver should remember that Listening Mode and the clicks should go away. For cable boxes that always transmit Dolby Digital, you should only have to do this once for DD 2.0. For DirecTV receivers that can send DD 2.0 and also 2 channel PCM, you'll have to do it a couple times.
post #2208 of 3874 Old 01-12-2012, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real World View Post

Just a heads up, I was told elsewhere about the price at PC Richard, as well as the fact that if you sign up for their mailing list, they send you a $15 off promo code. So if you haven't ordered yet, make sure you sign up and save yourself $15.

Thanks! WOW that's an awesome deal!

Is there a stutter problem with these receivers or not? I mean with the whole line that uses QDEO for the vid processing? People have complained here and on amazon's reviews of stuttering(frame dropping)...I truly believe its due to not being setup properly and most guys not bothering to look in their manual. Marvell qdeo is suppose to be good I dont know what the problem is? It's supposedly the same processor in the oppo bd93 right? Hmmm...
post #2209 of 3874 Old 01-12-2012, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightman View Post

I did the 'hidden' command and set the vid processor to skip but i still have a problem
post #2210 of 3874 Old 01-12-2012, 01:55 PM

Edit: oops wrong thread
post #2211 of 3874 Old 01-12-2012, 09:39 PM

good info from you guys. I have alot to learn obviously!! Gonna have to do some playing around with it some more... Pacemaker, what is this "hidden" command you speak of?

What's the deal with the stutter? I haven't noticed anything like that with mine.

I'm gonna mess around with it some tomorrow and post back to see if I get it right!
post #2212 of 3874 Old 01-13-2012, 03:59 AM

Liked: 13
I dont get the video stutter issue either. I have never saw any kind of stutter issue with my 609 either.
post #2213 of 3874 Old 01-13-2012, 06:41 AM
wl1
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacemaker View Post

I did the 'hidden' command and set the vid processor to skip but i still have a problem

You need to list your full equipment, and settings - someone might be able to see the setting which is causing this.

Start with Monitor Input/Output, Resolution setting?

Are you forcing either Bluray/AVR/TV to 1080p/24 anywhere in the chain?

When you get the stutter, what video info is shown on the TV when you press Display? For both input and output.
post #2214 of 3874 Old 01-13-2012, 10:44 AM

Just purchased a Onkyo 609 and Samsung 55" TV [UN55D6900] for my parents. Got it all installed and it worked just fine while I was there.

Just a few minutes after I left though they called and said that all the audio is noticeably out of sync from the video.

I haven't gone back yet to fix it, since this happened last night, and I'm at work today, but I was wondering if the fix is easy and something that I could do very quickly?

I need to go back anyways to tweak the TV picture settings and run odyssey.

I've never had this problem before with any of my HDMI receivers/TV's, so I don't know what it could be.

Thank you for your help!
post #2215 of 3874 Old 01-13-2012, 10:56 AM
wl1
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fdas View Post

Just purchased a Onkyo 609 and Samsung 55" TV [UN55D6900] for my parents. Got it all installed and it worked just fine while I was there.

Just a few minutes after I left though they called and said that all the audio is noticeably out of sync from the video.

I haven't gone back yet to fix it, since this happened last night, and I'm at work today, but I was wondering if the fix is easy and something that I could do very quickly?

I need to go back anyways to tweak the TV picture settings and run odyssey.

I've never had this problem before with any of my HDMI receivers/TV's, so I don't know what it could be.

Thank you for your help!

Turn off lip sync, p57 of manual. Then look at p52 too.

I have had occasional issue when STB is HDMI with Optical, but only on watching recordings from certain channels. Weird.

The above should get you started though.
LL
LL
post #2216 of 3874 Old 01-13-2012, 10:58 AM

wl1, can you explain why you would want the lip sync off? isn't that what it's for?
post #2217 of 3874 Old 01-13-2012, 11:03 AM
wl1
Advanced Member

Quote:

wl1, can you explain why you would want the lip sync off? isn't that what it's for?

It only works if the other devices support this feature over HDMI.
post #2218 of 3874 Old 01-13-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:

Turn off lip sync, p57 of manual. Then look at p52 too.

I have had occasional issue when STB is HDMI with Optical, but only on watching recordings from certain channels. Weird.

The above should get you started though.

Thank you very very much.

Out of curiosity, why would it have worked just fine at the start, and then stopped working when I left?
post #2219 of 3874 Old 01-13-2012, 11:30 AM
wl1
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fdas View Post

Thank you very very much.

Out of curiosity, why would it have worked just fine at the start, and then stopped working when I left?

When you have sorted it, it may be better to answer then. :-)

I included the last part of my post, re playback, in case it ends up relevant.

Is optical a part of this? Is it only one Source? How much testing did you do?
post #2220 of 3874 Old 01-13-2012, 11:43 AM

I haven't done anything yet.

My parents reported it last night, the first night they had it, and they checked again and say it's the same.

PS3 -> receiver under HDMI 1
receiver -> TV HDMI monitor out

One thing I know I need to do is turn the TV speakers off. One thing I can think of is that the TV speakers are at a different sync to the external speakers and they are hearing an echo.

However they very specifically said it was an 'out of sync' sound. So I'm not sure.

I can't believe this TV which just recently came out doesn't support audio sync over HDMI? My Sony SXRD rear projector TV which is about 4 years old or so [when did Sony stop making the SXRD rear projector's? I bought my set on the last year they made it] has no problem with audio sync over HDMI with my Onkyo 806.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr609 7 2 Channel Network Thx Certified A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr509 5 1 Channel Network A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Sr309 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread - Nr609 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page