Forum Jump: 

post #2581 of 3884 Old 02-23-2012, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffyworld View Post

Yes... It does have an s-video output, but the 609 cannot take advantage of it. My main concern is that if there's something wrong with the receiver, I need to act fast to exchange this unit. I just need to be sure before going through the hassle of packing up the whole thing and bring it back to the store.

buy a new one. try it out. if it works return the other one with the new receipt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2582 of 3884 Old 02-23-2012, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I was considering the 509 model. But reading through the last several pages of owners commenting about various issues they are experiencing with receivers (and I have read similar on other threads), am I wrong for being concerned about purchasing one of these AVRs? Some people have told me the issues are not common, and I realize persons tend to post with problems, but still - there seems more than just a few persons having problems.

I am leaning back now towards getting an older model used AVR and connecting to my HTPC via the 6 analog inputs. Either that or buying a new AVR from a place like Wal-Mart that allows 3 months to make sure the darn thing will play nice, lol. Seriously though, I do not consider having to turn components on in certain orders a solution - I am kind of disappointed reading about the various problems people are having particularly with HDMI connectivity.
post #2583 of 3884 Old 02-23-2012, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a 509 in a local B&M store here in Mexico and it was delivered to my home 2 weeks ago. Since then, it has been working without any problems or glitches. I connected all my devices (PS3, Xbox 360, Sony Blu-ray and Sky HD box) with HDMI to the receiver and everything works just fine. I have enabled the HDMI pass-through and the network control features and I can control the receiver with my iPod touch and my iPad, using both the Onkyo and the oRemote apps.

I've seen that most of the people here in the forum report problems with the 609, and only a few report issues with the 509, but that could be just a reflection of the 609 sales, that I think are just higher than the sales of the 509.
post #2584 of 3884 Old 02-23-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I had the same issue with a unit I used and have also seen it reported by others. I think it's simply a feature of the video chip. I would get flickering at the bottom of the image, all over the image, etc. Turning the unit off/on would cure it each time. Although it was a rate occurrence. I'd say a half dozen or less times in a few weeks. The identical equipment has been used with numerous other receivers without issue.

Update: looking at your video mine was a completely different issue. Mine just showed static on the screen. It never lost signal where yours is plainly losing sync and reporting the resolution isn't supported. Couldn't hurt to swap units...

Charles, thanks much for the reply and input. I do think it is a defective unit and I am going to initiate the warranty exchange process with Onkyo tomorrow. I purchased it from an Amazon retailer who directs me to the manufacturer in the event of a defect, so doing a simple exchange with them isn't possible.
post #2585 of 3884 Old 02-24-2012, 02:31 AM

I get an error message from Windows Media Player 12 when trying to select the 509 to stream music. The manual I have doesn't mention Zone 2 but I've seen it mentioned a couple of places. If so, I don't understand what kind of cable fits into the Zone 1 and 2 sockets. Help? Here's the error message, TIA:

TX-NR509
Device cannot be controlled. Your device is currently locked by another user or device. Please try again later.
HRESULT: 0x80040369
UPnP Error 705
post #2586 of 3884 Old 02-24-2012, 09:41 PM

I have a minor problem with my onkyo amp. I setted up the receiver to have "AUTO STAND BY ON" in the Set up Menu. Meaning after no signal is detected it will go into Stand By Mode/OFF. However It can never fully engage in Stand By Mode/OFF and the receiver always runs HOT and its displaying the HDMI pass through logo. All of units, digital CBL, and TV is off. Why wont the receiver enter STAND BY MODE. The amp and the top vents are always running HOT and not chilled. The Onkyo "RIHD" is detecting something on and allowing the HDMI Pass-Through on 24/7, and can never turn off and runs hot all day all night. The only way it turns off fully is when I turn off the RIHD in the onkyo in the menu but sometimes at night I want to watch digital CBL with TV speakers running through the AMP. How do i fix this problem is there something I dont know?? The HDMI pass-through and Auto Stand By Mode use to work till recently.
post #2587 of 3884 Old 02-24-2012, 10:32 PM

All my HDMI inputs are used, including one for my PS3. I also have a Wii. If I plug it into the Game-RGA/component, how do I select that source? I think Game will always just default to the best input. Any suggestions on setting them up as discrete sources?
post #2588 of 3884 Old 02-24-2012, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by danav View Post

All my HDMI inputs are used, including one for my PS3. I also have a Wii. If I plug it into the Game-RGA/component, how do I select that source? I think Game will always just default to the best input. Any suggestions on setting them up as discrete sources?

Hi danav, if both is assigned to the same input name "GAME" (PS3 via HDMI and Wii via Component cables -green,blue,red) and you run one at time, the receiver will automatically picks the one that is on.
post #2589 of 3884 Old 02-25-2012, 05:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaty View Post

I have a minor problem with my onkyo amp. I setted up the receiver to have "AUTO STAND BY ON" in the Set up Menu. Meaning after no signal is detected it will go into Stand By Mode/OFF. However It can never fully engage in Stand By Mode/OFF and the receiver always runs HOT and its displaying the HDMI pass through logo. All of units, digital CBL, and TV is off. Why wont the receiver enter STAND BY MODE. The amp and the top vents are always running HOT and not chilled. The Onkyo "RIHD" is detecting something on and allowing the HDMI Pass-Through on 24/7, and can never turn off and runs hot all day all night. The only way it turns off fully is when I turn off the RIHD in the onkyo in the menu but sometimes at night I want to watch digital CBL with TV speakers running through the AMP. How do i fix this problem is there something I dont know?? The HDMI pass-through and Auto Stand By Mode use to work till recently.

Wait, isn't the HDMI pass throught the yellow light with HDMI Thru marked under it? The HDMI you are pointing at shows the system senses a HDMI source. On my 509 the HDMI & NET stay on even when everything is off.

I would not use the auto stand by function and select an input (in my case CBL/SAT) to pass thru when the amp is off. FYI, the amp uses 40 watts when off in the auto pass thru mode.

I love this HD stuff!
post #2590 of 3884 Old 02-25-2012, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 34
It runs hot because it cannot fully power off when any of the below is true:
HDMI Thru is enabled
Network control is enabled
RIHD is enabled

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2591 of 3884 Old 02-25-2012, 07:22 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by indio22 View Post

I was considering the 509 model. But reading through the last several pages of owners commenting about various issues they are experiencing with receivers (and I have read similar on other threads), am I wrong for being concerned about purchasing one of these AVRs? Some people have told me the issues are not common, and I realize persons tend to post with problems, but still - there seems more than just a few persons having problems.

Hi Indio22--

I purchased and installed a 509 for a friend of mine (who is HT-clueless) based on my own past good experiences with Onkyo. So far she is happy, but if I had known what I know now, I would not have chosen it. The two main issues are: 1) using 40W all the time if HDMI pass-thru is enabled, which is important to her; and 2) the audio drop-out problem (discussed in this thread and elsewhere) with DirectTV. Even though that issue is caused by DirecTV, some other brands handle it much better. As to #1, I have to think that the constant heat being generated also means it might have a shorter lifespan than I would expect. If you can avoid both of these issues, the 509 might be great for you at its street price. But I would consider something else if I were you. My local Fry's had a nice HK in the weekly ad yesterday for $259. Not saying this is THE one you should get, just that there are viable and perhaps better alternatives.
post #2592 of 3884 Old 02-25-2012, 07:27 AM

On second thought, adding another piece of hardware (a digital to analog converter) that needs to plug-in seems less than perfect. I can broadcast from the C. Crane FM Transmitter I already use to send music to other parts of the house. I'm still curious about using a DLNA server. Anyone tried this on a Mac?
post #2593 of 3884 Old 02-25-2012, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

I reckon the last firmware broke some things...

When my 609 is in standby mode, the HDMI pass-thru' facility is only routing video to my TV - not audio
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Did you check to see if the settings are still correct?

UPDATE: After resetting the Onkyo, audio pass-thru' is working again...

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2594 of 3884 Old 02-26-2012, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post

It runs hot because it cannot fully power off when any of the below is true:
HDMI Thru is enabled
Network control is enabled
RIHD is enabled

so this is considered a signal? the thing is all units are off. The receiver should detect no signal from all units running hdmi, and engage stand by mode after 30minutes. Just like the manual and set up menu says. However its allowing hdmi pass thru to stay always on.
post #2595 of 3884 Old 02-26-2012, 03:40 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Liked: 1521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goes to 11 View Post

Hi Indio22--

I purchased and installed a 509 for a friend of mine (who is HT-clueless) based on my own past good experiences with Onkyo. So far she is happy, but if I had known what I know now, I would not have chosen it. The two main issues are: 1) using 40W all the time if HDMI pass-thru is enabled, which is important to her; and 2) the audio drop-out problem (discussed in this thread and elsewhere) with DirectTV. Even though that issue is caused by DirecTV, some other brands handle it much better. As to #1, I have to think that the constant heat being generated also means it might have a shorter lifespan than I would expect. If you can avoid both of these issues, the 509 might be great for you at its street price. But I would consider something else if I were you. My local Fry's had a nice HK in the weekly ad yesterday for $259. Not saying this is THE one you should get, just that there are viable and perhaps better alternatives.

In most cases, the cable/sat box is the primary source that folks want to pass through and if that is the case with your friend as well, both issues #1 and #2 can be avoided simply by connecting the cable/sat box (HDMI) to the TV with cable/sat box (optical) to the AVR for when surround audio is wanted. Otherwise HDMI control adds maybe $2 extra per month on the electrical bill with the small amount of wattage likely being negligible on the lifespan of the unit.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #2596 of 3884 Old 02-26-2012, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

so this is considered a signal? the thing is all units are off why is it not engaging stand by mode and allowing hdmi pass thru to stay always on. It shouldnt detect anything to be on and initiate Stand By Mode, just like the manual and menu says.

I think it's the way the circuitry is set up. The HDMI chips are powered by the same supply as the main CPU, so you cannot shut down the CPU without also shutting down HDMI. It's not a physical switch, but all electronic.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook:
post #2597 of 3884 Old 02-26-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:

In most cases, the cable/sat box is the primary source that folks want to pass through and if that is the case with your friend as well, both issues #1 and #2 can be avoided simply by connecting the cable/sat box (HDMI) to the TV with cable/sat box (optical) to the AVR for when surround audio is wanted. Otherwise HDMI control adds maybe $2 extra per month on the electrical bill with the small amount of wattage likely being negligible on the lifespan of the unit.

Yes, JD, very true. However, one of the great things about HDMI, for the HT-clueless like my friend, is the simplicity of her never having to change the input on her TV. In addition, the "robustness(?)" of the cables. No more calls from her like I would get on her old set-up that she has no sound, only to find she knocked out an optical connection while dusting. (Although I'm sure not looking forward to the first call where I have to tell her how to do a factory re-set, or firmware update, knock on wood.)

My Panasonic uses .7 for pass-through (although it will only pass-through last, and not do any sensing which may account for the power difference.) In addition, there is the DirecTV audio issue. So I think my point is still valid--there are other excellent HT receivers which may be a better design for some people.
post #2598 of 3884 Old 02-26-2012, 08:04 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Audio dropouts are avoided by not using HDMI and the "difficulty" of changing inputs on the TV is greatly simplified with a Harmony remote.

"JD" –
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

post #2599 of 3884 Old 02-26-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:

so this is considered a signal? the thing is all units are off. The receiver should detect no signal from all units running hdmi, and engage stand by mode after 30minutes. Just like the manual and set up menu says. However its allowing hdmi pass thru to stay always on.

also.... I dont know what cable/sat/whatever you have but for mine(ATT Uverse) even with the set top box "off" it still sends a signal. You would have to completely unpower the box.
post #2600 of 3884 Old 02-27-2012, 02:55 AM

I have a strange problem, when I am playing a song from my USB-memory or from my Windows 7 computer DLNA, it's playing the song until I adjusting the volume, either on the remote or on the device, then it just stops. It possible to change input source to ex. CBL/SAT, but when I'm trying to get back to USB/NET then it can't find anything. Turning the device off, and starting all over, the same problem occour. I have tried factory reset. I think this problem came with the latest firmware, before that it did work fine.
Anyone with simular problem, or suggestion what to do?
post #2601 of 3884 Old 02-27-2012, 03:11 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Try uplugging the 609 for a few minutes.

"JD" –

post #2602 of 3884 Old 02-27-2012, 06:27 AM

Quote:

^^
Try uplugging the 609 for a few minutes.

I have already been trying that.
Is there any way to force in an older firmeware?
post #2603 of 3884 Old 02-27-2012, 07:27 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Sorry, but no.

"JD" –

post #2604 of 3884 Old 02-27-2012, 10:06 AM

Wondering if anyone would possibly know a solution to this problem where the right surround speaker slightly pops while playing GT5 menu music. Blu-ray movies play fine, gameplay is fine; only experience pops during menu music playback.The wires are fine, the speakers are fine (checked and re-checked the connection wires/switched surround speakers/switched wires). The other four speakers and sub work fine. I've tried adjusting the speaker level calibration, speaker frequency, equalizing, etc and nothing has helped.

System specs:
TV: Panasonic tc-p65vt30
HTIB: Onkyo HT-S7409 (TX-NR609 receiver, HTP-790 5.1 speaker/sub)
PS3 connected via HDMI to receiver, receiver HMDI out to TV
post #2605 of 3884 Old 02-27-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:

^^
Audio dropouts are avoided by not using HDMI and the "difficulty" of changing inputs on the TV is greatly simplified with a Harmony remote.

I use a Harmony remote and love it, but no way I want to be responsible for programming one for my friend, and being her telephone support when she gets devices out of sync by turning something on or off using its own power button. You don't know my friend. :-)

As for the DirecTV issue, I had read it has something to do with the way DirecTV converts MPEG2 to MPEG4 (see # 1422 in the present thread) and so it seems to me that switching to optical wouldn't fix it. EDIT: this forum member says he experiences the problem using optical: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post18803579

I haven't read that (using optical will fix) anywhere else, either, so if you have more info, please pass it along.
post #2606 of 3884 Old 02-27-2012, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:

I use a Harmony remote and love it, but no way I want to be responsible for programming one for my friend, and being her telephone support when she gets devices out of sync by turning something on or off using its own power button. You don't know my friend. :-)

It's actually pretty idiot-proof. Once its set up, you take all of their old remotes and hide them. Don't let them press power buttons! And, whenever possible, use the discrete on /discrete off commands of the device. That really helps with things that get out of sync.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #2607 of 3884 Old 02-27-2012, 02:13 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

As for the DirecTV issue, I had read it has something to do with the way DirecTV converts MPEG2 to MPEG4 (see # 1422 in the present thread) and so it seems to me that switching to optical wouldn't fix it. EDIT: this forum member says he experiences the problem using optical: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post18803579

I haven't read that (using optical will fix) anywhere else, either, so if you have more info, please pass it along.

If using optical hasn't been tried by her then give it a shot as that post is almost 1.5 years old. Also, seeing as setting the DTV box to PCM avoids the issue, the simulated 5.1 using DD PLII will likely sound fairly similar to the true DD 5.1.

"JD" –

post #2608 of 3884 Old 02-27-2012, 02:16 PM

After reading BATPIGS audyssey guide I set my surround and fronts
from 70, and 40 to 80, center said 150 so i left it.

when playing dvd audio/sacd
the receiver switches to direct and i get nothing from the sub.

is this normal?
i don't see in the 609 where to say speakers small, just the crossovers.

am i missing something, i thought i could get full bass management with setting the cross over so the lows would all be routed to the sub.

switching to multichannel brings back the sub...

any ideas?

thanks.
post #2609 of 3884 Old 02-27-2012, 02:29 PM
585-645-1006

^^
batpig's information applies to Denon AVRs which use as a minimum Audyssey MultEQ which can EQ the sub (whereas 2EQ in the 609 cannot) and the Audyssey Setup Guide linked in my sig is also designed more for MultEQ and higher versions of Audyssey ... so you raise the crossovers to 80hz in order to maximize the sub signal processing as there are far more sub filters than speaker filters as well as take a load off of the AVR. In the case of the 609 you only take the load off of the AVR which may or may not be necessary depending on the volume you use. Onkyo doesn't use LARGE/SMALL ... rather the speaker is either FULL BAND (ie. LARGE) or a crossover is set (ie SMALL). When using DIRECT mode there is no bass management, so the front mains are treated as FULL BAND. Set the "Double Bass" setting to ON.

"JD" –

post #2610 of 3884 Old 02-27-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:

^^
batpig's information applies to Denon AVRs which use as a minimum Audyssey MultEQ which can EQ the sub (whereas 2EQ in the 609 cannot) and the Audyssey Setup Guide linked in my sig is also designed more for MultEQ and higher versions of Audyssey ... so you raise the crossovers to 80hz in order to maximize the sub signal processing as there are far more sub filters than speaker filters as well as take a load off of the AVR. In the case of the 609 you only take the load off of the AVR which may or may not be necessary depending on the volume you use. Onkyo doesn't use LARGE/SMALL ... rather the speaker is either FULL BAND (ie. LARGE) or a crossover is set (ie SMALL). When using DIRECT mode there is no bass management, however, setting the crossovers for the front mains should result in the audio being passed to the sub so not sure why that's not happening for you.

i was just trying out my other speakers before i switch to the 3808 as discussed in the PM last week.

so now you have me thinking that there is something wrong in my receiver.
any ideas how to tell the receiver to use 5.1 for direct? is it something in the oppo dvd player?

thanks.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr609 7 2 Channel Network Thx Certified A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr509 5 1 Channel Network A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Sr309 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread - Nr609 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page