Onkyo TX-NR609, TX-NR509, TX-SR309 Thread - Page 90 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-12-2012, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i ahve my zone 2 setup but cant seem to change the audio modes , movie/tv music, game or thx modes

i ahve zone 2 set to tv/cd and also tried usb

i press zone 2 then one of the listening modes , but it wont change at all

off zone 2 i am running 2 speakers off the back of reciever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme View Post

i ahve my zone 2 setup but cant seem to change the audio modes , movie/tv music, game or thx modes

I believe that is by design. There's no way to do that via any command that I know of either.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:30 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2116 Post(s)
Liked: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme View Post

Surround modes don't apply to Zone 2 ... simply STEREO.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 03-12-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddikop View Post

Hey thanks so much for quick reply. I'm currently toying around with different listening modes but I see what you mean about THX! Now I'm not worried. This unit was actually a gift given to me last summer, was an in-store display model that I've only just now been able to set up, so I was worried that something might be wrong with it. It actually sounds great, and the separation I am getting on my speakers is far beyond any other receiver I've ever owned....very pleased so far but haven't even begun to think about updating the firmware or connecting to net. That sounds like a nightmare.

I solved a major problem of not having enough HDMI outputs by buying an HDMI splitter from monoprice. On my old 606, the HDMI output was having trouble passing the signal. I needed two outputs (one for projector, one for tv), and the delays in switching to HDMI were getting very frustrating. Once I bought the splitter/switcher thing, suddenly I had NO MORE delays. For some reason, that little $20 item solved those problems. So now, if the HDMI channel starts to go out on the 609, hopefully I can fix it again with that little gadget. Hope this helps someone else. Thanks again.

Hi There,
Glad i could help.......i received so much help on this forum i am glad i can try and give some back.

To the Net issue, i have had no real problems with updates and streaming my music or Pandora. The only problem i had was the initial first firmware update i had to call Onkyo (which went fine) and ask what to do after it said "complete" for about 25 minutes and did nothing else. The guy on the phone told me to unplug it and wait 30 seconds and plug it back in and Boom good to go. It rebooted and was fine. After that update it has downloaded all updates and restarted on its own with no problems.

James

Vizio E601i-A3
Onkyo TX-NR609
Polk TSx 330t for L/R
Polk TSx 150C
Polk RM 6751 surrounds x 4
BIC F-12 Sub
Old 03-14-2012, 02:02 AM

Liked: 14
Can I have 4 standing tower speakers connected? I'm very new to this, and i asked because every setup picture I see has two standing towers and four small plus a center.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:33 AM
585-645-1006

^^
If you're asking if you can use 2 towers as side surrounds, sure. Most folks generally don't put much into their surrounds, but there's certainly no reason you can't use better quality tower speakers.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
Old 03-14-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
If you're asking if you can use 2 towers as side surrounds, sure. Most folks generally don't put much into their surrounds, but there's certainly no reason you can't use better quality tower speakers.

okay thanks, but I a have question where does my current tower speaker go? What section on the back? Is it suppose to be front high?

Also is there a section I can view gameroom surround setup?
Old 03-14-2012, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by killa2009 View Post

okay thanks, but I a have question where does my current tower speaker go? What section on the back? Is it suppose to be front high?

Also is there a section I can view gameroom surround setup?

Fronts would connect to front, not front high. And, if you are only using a 5.1 setup, the back speakers will connect to surround side. The surround back connection is for the rear speakers in a 7.1 setup.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:41 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by killa2009 View Post

The front height speakers are generally small bookshelf sized speakers as they are mounted in the ceiling above the front main speakers. Although the 609 offers DSX (front wide, front height), only the front height speaker capability is offered, while on the 709, both front height and front wide are implemented. With 4 tower speakers, if you don't want to use towers as "side" surrounds, the 709 would be the better option so you could use all 4 towers up front (on the floor).

Old 03-14-2012, 12:03 PM

what are the speakers connected to your system?
Old 03-14-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilreddyv99 View Post

what are the speakers connected to your system?

yes its connected to onkyo 609, just wanted know if it was smart to have four towers? I ask because I see a set of towers on sale.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:10 PM
585-645-1006

^^
If you get them, I'd also sell the 609 and upgrade to the 709.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

The front height speakers are generally small bookshelf sized speakers as they are mounted in the ceiling above the front main speakers. Although the 609 offers DSX (front wide, front height), only the front height speaker capability is offered, while on the 709, both front height and front wide are implemented. With 4 tower speakers, if you don't want to use towers as "side" surrounds, the 709 would be the better option so you could use all 4 towers up front (on the floor).

Hey jd. Am i misreading? I can use height or wide, just not simultaneously. It is 7.2? ( the 609) Is the 709 9.2? Or am I confusing surround back with dsx wide?
Old 03-14-2012, 12:57 PM
585-645-1006

^^
No. Normally when DSX is offered on an AVR, both front height and front wide are implemented features ... on a 7.1 AVR (eg. 709) only one or the other can be used, while on a 9.1 AVR both can generally be used at the same time. However, on the 609, the use of Front Wide speakers is not an option at all, rather only Front Height.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:

^^
No. Normally when DSX is offered on an AVR, both front height and front wide are implemented features ... on a 7.1 AVR (eg. 709) only one or the other can be used, while on a 9.1 AVR both can generally be used at the same time. However, on the 609, the use of Front Wide speakers is not an option at all, rather only Front Height.

After I thought about it I answered my own confusion. ( the 709 is only 7.1 not 7.2? which is the new model equivalent??) The 609 can do surround back or front height just not both. You can do surround back and front high or dsx wide simultaneously with a 9.2 or.1 amp. ( I think that is what you are saying in your post).I was confusing the the application of dsx as a listening mode to my front high when they are engaged and not the actual dsx wide channels. Am i making any sense? I might start confusing myself again if I keep thinking
Old 03-14-2012, 02:08 PM
585-645-1006

^^
The 709 is actually "marketed" as a 7.2 AVR, and is the model above the 609 from last year's models which is also "marketed" as a 7.2 AVR; however, this has nothing to do with our discussion of DSX. On both models, the Front Height speaker signal can be generated either by using DD PLIIz or by using DSX (Front Height) whereas Front Wide can only be generated by DSX and then only on the 709 and higher models.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:24 AM

Hello all... new to the forum!

just bought all this AV equipment, upgrading from a 3 yr old lcd.

I'm going round and round with itunes stupid HDCP stuff!!

I'm trying to use HDMI to bring surround sound and video from Itunes on my macbook air into my NR609, and then to a samsung un60d6000 sfxza LED flatscreen. If I connect the HDMI directly to the TV, no problem (but no surround), if I connect HDMI to "BD/DVD" HDMI input on NR609, then output to TV, I get the dreaded "HDCP" error when I try and play itunes on that screen.

I see online and in the manual that the NR609 is HCDP compliant... what's the problem?

With my other macbook I can use a minitoslink cable, but not the macbook air.

Suggestions/links helpful.
Sorry if this is a lame question, but I'm a newb!

thanks

Ben
Old 03-17-2012, 12:14 PM

Can TX-NR609 display information about codec, bitrate and sampling rate of internet radio stream while playing it?
I cannot find a way to make the receiver to do it. NR509 (which I sold in order to buy NR609) did.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:36 PM

I was looking to pick onkyo tx nr609 mostly because I am pretty happy with my 605 which is going strong. However, with the current deal on pioneer vsx 1121 k I am wandering if I should get the pioneer. Besides room correction, how do the two compare? If I go with the pioneer, what will I lose? (i know 4k upscaling is out) and what will I gain. Simply put, is pioneer better or should I get the 609?
Old 03-17-2012, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Update on 24p problem

AVR went back to ONKYO who changed the whole HDMI board but problem of dropped frames still there so unfortunately i have returned it for a refund as i consider it unfit for purpose

i now own a Denon 2312 which can be had for the same money at the moment and has no such issues with messing up the video signal like the 609 does. also has the benefit of sounding better especially for 2ch stereo

my first and probably last ONKYO i am afraid
Old 03-19-2012, 01:22 AM
Advanced Member

Woo hoo! I just installed the new March 16 firmware, and at first look it appears the 24p frame-drop issue is fixed (for me, anyway). I watched 15 minutes of the same scrolling credits (oh what fun) I could always see it on before in 3-6 minutes. I didn't see any skips.

But, seeing the problem, I knew it was there. Not seeing the problem doesn't necessarily mean it's gone, it could mean I just didn't notice it. But based on the rate I could see it before, I'm fairly confident it is no more (or at least not every 2 min 47 seconds like it was for me before). I'll keep on the lookout, but I'm a pretty happy camper now.

pacemaker, it looks like you just barely missed the boat (or had already been on the boat and fed up far too long, depending on how you look at it)
Old 03-19-2012, 01:26 AM
Advanced Member

BTW, the release notes only say one thing:

Quote:

Stabilizes video output when using HDMI/CAT5 Extender on HDMI OUT MAIN terminal;

I wonder if the skip was causing much more severe problems if used with some CAT5 extender or something. I can't imagine why if they knew about this issue they wouldn't put something more specific about it in the release notes.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobearQSI View Post

Woo hoo! I just installed the new March 16 firmware, and at first look it appears the 24p frame-drop issue is fixed (for me, anyway). I watched 15 minutes of the same scrolling credits (oh what fun) I could always see it on before in 3-6 minutes. I didn't see any skips.

But, seeing the problem, I knew it was there. Not seeing the problem doesn't necessarily mean it's gone, it could mean I just didn't notice it. But based on the rate I could see it before, I'm fairly confident it is no more (or at least not every 2 min 47 seconds like it was for me before). I'll keep on the lookout, but I'm a pretty happy camper now.

pacemaker, it looks like you just barely missed the boat (or had already been on the boat and fed up far too long, depending on how you look at it)

I dont see this update on the Onkyousa website? Latest is 12/20/2011.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:46 PM

Help? Probably a simple issue.... but a big deal to not be able to use HDMI input from the NR609.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnydoc View Post

I'm trying to use HDMI to bring surround sound and video from Itunes on my macbook air into my NR609, and then to a samsung un60d6000 sfxza LED flatscreen. If I connect the HDMI directly to the TV, no problem (but no surround), if I connect HDMI to "BD/DVD" HDMI input on NR609, then output to TV, I get the dreaded "HDCP" error when I try and play itunes on that screen.

I see online and in the manual that the NR609 is HCDP compliant... what's the problem?

With my other macbook I can use a minitoslink cable, but not the macbook air.

Suggestions/links helpful.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:55 PM
585-645-1006

^^
This issue is common with all brands of AVRs and some HTPC video cards and is a result of the TV EDID information not getting back to the HTPC properly. A work around that generally works is to add an HDMI switch between the HTPC and AVR. First connect the HTPC-->HDMI switch--> TV to pass the EDID info to the switch and then place the switch between the HTPC and the AVR.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david0406 View Post

I dont see this update on the Onkyousa website? Latest is 12/20/2011.

Hmmmm, I don't know about that. I've always googled "Onkyo NR609 Firmware" and used the first link that came up, which is the one I linked in my post.

Regardless, I just went into my receiver and did the net firmware update from there. I live in and purchased my receiver in the US.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

And, I just went to the Onkyousa website, and its listed there.

http://www.onkyousa.com/download/software.cfm
Old 03-19-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:

^^
This issue is common with all brands of AVRs and some HTPC video cards and is a result of the TV EDID information not getting back to the HTPC properly. A work around that generally works is to add an HDMI switch between the HTPC and AVR. First connect the HTPC-->HDMI switch--> TV to pass the EDID info to the switch and then place the switch between the HTPC and the AVR.

thanks Jd...

so to clarify... HTPC is the video card in the laptop? So I would have the switch between the laptop and TV/AVR, and first would switch it to connect the laptop and TV directly (avoiding HDCP), then throw the switch to the AVR? Wouldnt the laptop/HTPC detect that changover and the error would come back?

Maybe I dont know what a HDMI switch is, literally just a switch between output A/B? Not sure how something gets 'passed' to it then.

Also, the HDMI inputs are separate, ie HDMI3 is direct to laptop, and HDMI4 comes from the AVR 'out' port, so essentially I would have to switch inputs on the tv as well.

Maybe I'm missing something in what you said. Thanks for any comments/corrections

Ben
Old 03-19-2012, 02:25 PM
585-645-1006

^^
In some instances, you simply need to place the HDMI switch between the HTPC (Home Theater PC) and the AVR and you're good to go. If not, then placing it between the HTPC and the TV initially should get it to work once it's returned to being placed between the HTPC and the AVR.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobearQSI View Post

Typical of my luck
I sent it back on the 12th after it had returned still faulty from Onkyo with the OLD firmware
If I had payed the full price of £799 for the Denon i would be really pi55ed but at £430 its OK

having had both i feel qualified to comment on them (24p problem asside). sound wise the Denon is way above the Onkyo for 2ch sound but for movies it only just edges it. The Denon is also more customisable. At simular price levels the Denon wins hands down but not at the retail prices where it is £300 more

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr609 7 2 Channel Network Thx Certified A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr509 5 1 Channel Network A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Sr309 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver