Onkyo TX-NR609, TX-NR509, TX-SR309 Thread - Page 99 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Onkyo TX-NR609, TX-NR509, TX-SR309 Thread

Receivers, Amps, and Processors

raistline's Avatar raistline
10:53 AM Liked: 23
post #2941 of 3919
04-27-2012 | Posts: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodbanshee View Post

The cable just runs from the high line pole at the road into my house no cable box. I guess I need to call them and see if they offer one. Are there any coaxial to hdmi adapters?

If you have a Coax cable from your cable company going to your TV you will need to then connect an Optical cable from you TV to your receiver to get the audio to go out to your sound system. (there may be a setting on your TV to force this as well)

Once you have it connected to your receiver you will have to go into the setup and go into Input assign and then Digital Audio input.
From here you can direct the optical input into the Audio Output you desire, e.g.: TV/VCR.

Once this is done, any audio with 5.1 will be 5.1 on your audio system provided no other settings were changed on the receiver to prevent this.
BobearQSI's Avatar BobearQSI
11:28 AM Liked: 26
post #2942 of 3919
04-27-2012 | Posts: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodbanshee View Post

The cable just runs from the high line pole at the road into my house no cable box. I guess I need to call them and see if they offer one. Are there any coaxial to hdmi adapters?

There is no surround sound on an analog cable signal, so if that's what you have, you can't get it. Some of the analog cable companies also broadcast the digital OTA ATSC channels as well. Are any cable channels HD? Or, is it just the local channels that are HD?

With digital cable, there is usually a box, as a lot of the movie channels are requiring encryption nowadays on the digital connections.

Bottom line is you should probably call your cable company and find out what options there are, then post back here if you still need connection help.
hotrodbanshee's Avatar hotrodbanshee
12:01 PM Liked: 10
post #2943 of 3919
04-27-2012 | Posts: 9
We have bout 75 analog and 10 HD local channels from our cable provider.
david0406's Avatar david0406
04:22 AM Liked: 15
post #2944 of 3919
04-28-2012 | Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by david0406 View Post

I seem to have a handshake issue with my Roku2 when it engages a 5.1 stream on Netflix or Amazon. The homescreen of the Roku2 gets blacker when I engage the the HD audio . Then when I try to switch inputs the OSD of the AVR is pink indicating a handshake issue. This only occurs when I when I stream HD audio. Could this be caused by more data being streamed with the audio and the avr is not liking it. The display of the TV is not pink , just the OSD of the AVR. Could this be a cabling issue???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
1. Yes. Cat 1 = Low Speed; Cat 2 = High Speed
2. The Roku to the AVR; however, it could also be a defective Roku as well. Try using another cable as well as connecting to each of the HDMI inputs on the AVR to see if one works better than another.

Well Roku states that one of my devices is probably NOT "fully" HDMI compliant and generally this issue is not the fault of the Roku2. My devices are TX-NR609 and Samsung PN42C450. I have tried every input on the AVR. Changed the inputs on the TV. Tried every resolution including "through" and "direct" . Surely my 609 is "fully" hdmi compliant as for my TV it is a 2009 or 2010 model. The Roku2 works fine except when I engage DD+ on Netflix and then start switching back and forth between inputs. I tried the Cat2 cable I received yesterday to no avail. Now if I stream netflix in 2.0 stereo this issue does NOT occur. Handshakes complete with no problem. Now my TV is ONLY a 720p tv. Whether or not that is any issue or not I dont know. All resolution settings are at 720p. They also state that they encounter many problems with the Onkyo receivers. Bottom line I asked if they thought my Roku was defective. They stated it is generally the other devices. Any thoughts?? I have no handshake problems with either of my other devices . Set top box and Bluray.
mfrey0118's Avatar mfrey0118
06:57 AM Liked: 20
post #2945 of 3919
04-28-2012 | Posts: 692
Well, my new 609 got here from Amazon and I packed up my refurb to ship back to A4L.

Hooked it up and all HDMI communication works. RHiD and ARC. Let's hope it doesn't fail in the next couple of weeks. If it does, I'm officially done with Onkyo. Hello, Denon 1912 or 2112...
04:43 PM Liked: 15
post #2946 of 3919
04-28-2012 | Posts: 305
Quote:

Well Roku states that one of my devices is probably NOT "fully" HDMI compliant and generally this issue is not the fault of the Roku2. My devices are TX-NR609 and Samsung PN42C450. I have tried every input on the AVR. Changed the inputs on the TV. Tried every resolution including "through" and "direct" . Surely my 609 is "fully" hdmi compliant as for my TV it is a 2009 or 2010 model. The Roku2 works fine except when I engage DD+ on Netflix and then start switching back and forth between inputs. I tried the Cat2 cable I received yesterday to no avail. Now if I stream netflix in 2.0 stereo this issue does NOT occur. Handshakes complete with no problem. Now my TV is ONLY a 720p tv. Whether or not that is any issue or not I dont know. All resolution settings are at 720p. They also state that they encounter many problems with the Onkyo receivers. Bottom line I asked if they thought my Roku was defective. They stated it is generally the other devices. Any thoughts?? I have no handshake problems with either of my other devices . Set top box and Bluray.

Well Roku says its the 609 even though the Roku does the same thing on every input and I have no issues with any other device. I am stumped
06:18 AM Liked: 20
post #2947 of 3919
04-29-2012 | Posts: 692
Quote:

Well Roku says its the 609 even though the Roku does the same thing on every input and I have no issues with any other device. I am stumped

One thing I am noticing is that the 2011 Onkyos have very unreliable HDMI connectivity. I had both an R590 receiver (from the HT-S5400 package) and a NR609's HDMI connectivity fail. First it was ARC, then no RHiD. A lot of people said "Hey who cares just use optical" but that restricts you to only 2.0 channel PCM audio via anything but your TV's tuner and you do not get the convenience of RHiD communication, which includes the unit turning off/on with the panel and switching inputs automatically. This is important for those of us who don't have Harmonys.

Both units that exhibited this were refurbished models from Accessories4Less (who actually are authorized Onkyo refurb sellers).

I was about to sware off Onkyo, but I figured it would be prudent to at least try new ones before banning the entire company from my life for good. What really frustrates me is the HDMI issues are the only real gripe I have with these receivers. Otherwise, they rock!

I have a new R590 from Amazon in the bedroom and so far so good. I have had it for a few weeks now. I got a new 609 also from Amazon on Friday. Has been working perfectly except for yesterday I got audio no video for a few minutes but I just turned everything off and waited and then turned it all back on and it was fine for the rest of the night. Of course, I'm reserving judgement because it took weeks for the issues to reveal themselves on the refurbished units.

In other words, your Roku may be right.
andyross63's Avatar andyross63
06:48 AM Liked: 36
post #2948 of 3919
04-29-2012 | Posts: 2,724
Do you have the latest firmware installed on the 609's? There have been several HDMI-related updates.
08:03 AM Liked: 20
post #2949 of 3919
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post

Do you have the latest firmware installed on the 609's? There have been several HDMI-related updates.

*sigh*...I'm getting customer service flashbacks here...yes I always update to the latest firmware. I'm pretty tech savvy when it comes to this stuff so you can save the basic I-just-read-a-manual customer service-type questions for the less technologically inclined masses.
08:50 AM Liked: 15
post #2950 of 3919
04-29-2012 | Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrey0118 View Post

One thing I am noticing is that the 2011 Onkyos have very unreliable HDMI connectivity. I had both an R590 receiver (from the HT-S5400 package) and a NR609's HDMI connectivity fail. First it was ARC, then no RHiD. A lot of people said "Hey who cares just use optical" but that restricts you to only 2.0 channel PCM audio via anything but your TV's tuner and you do not get the convenience of RHiD communication, which includes the unit turning off/on with the panel and switching inputs automatically. This is important for those of us who don't have Harmonys.

Both units that exhibited this were refurbished models from Accessories4Less (who actually are authorized Onkyo refurb sellers).

I was about to sware off Onkyo, but I figured it would be prudent to at least try new ones before banning the entire company from my life for good. What really frustrates me is the HDMI issues are the only real gripe I have with these receivers. Otherwise, they rock!

I have a new R590 from Amazon in the bedroom and so far so good. I have had it for a few weeks now. I got a new 609 also from Amazon on Friday. Has been working perfectly except for yesterday I got audio no video for a few minutes but I just turned everything off and waited and then turned it all back on and it was fine for the rest of the night. Of course, I'm reserving judgement because it took weeks for the issues to reveal themselves on the refurbished units.

In other words, your Roku may be right.

I have the latest firmware also on the 609. I guess I have come to the conclusion that I will just live with the handshake issue. It only occurs with netflix and DD+. I just hate it when I think one of my devices is not performing as it should. Just anal on my part I guess. Simply powering off fixes the problem anyway.
09:55 AM Liked: 20
post #2951 of 3919
Quote:

I have the latest firmware also on the 609. I guess I have come to the conclusion that I will just live with the handshake issue. It only occurs with netflix and DD+. I just hate it when I think one of my devices is not performing as it should. Just anal on my part I guess. Simply powering off fixes the problem anyway.

If anal means holding manufacturers accountable for producing reliable products then count me anal, also.
Lotus00's Avatar Lotus00
12:54 AM Liked: 14
post #2952 of 3919
04-30-2012 | Posts: 263
i have the 609 with all hdmi's in use and havent had any real problems yet. I'm running 2 zones and onq. For the price i think its a great receiver for what you get.
Redbeemer's Avatar Redbeemer
03:33 PM Liked: 16
post #2953 of 3919
04-30-2012 | Posts: 578
Quote:

My dongle works great

His dongle is probably much older than yours!
TheChadd's Avatar TheChadd
03:42 PM Liked: 13
post #2954 of 3919
04-30-2012 | Posts: 49
Anyone else using the "Onkyo Remote2" app on their iPhone/iPad/iWhatever? It's not perfect, but I love it. Especially controlling volume and Zone 2 and getting song info when listening to Pandora. I just wish it had a thumb up/down feature on the phone. Oh well, still pretty awesome.
03:44 PM Liked: 15
post #2955 of 3919
04-30-2012 | Posts: 305
Quote:

Quote:

After hours of frustration and research on forums and switching inputs, cables, settings, harmony remote settings yada yada yada and I mean hours. I think I have finally cured my handshake issue. Roku support wanted me to use the " through" setting and that just pained me to even think about doing that because the video processor in the Onkyo 609 is far superior to that in my STB and TV. Just watching in " through " or " direct" clearly showed it to. So to my solution for the handshake issue between the Roku2 and my Onkyo 609.
#1- 2 new hi-speed 24awg HDMI cables from Monoprice and Blue Jeans cable. ( 1 got here faster so that's why I ordered from two different places). One for Roku2>AVR and one for AVR>TV.
#2- Changed two different settings on the Onkyo 609 as follows....and 1 on Samsung TV...

#1 on AVR- Setup>Source Settings>Picture Adjust>Wide Mode>Full ( NOT AUTO) I dont know what the difference between Auto and Full is. Maybe someone smarter than me in the Onkyo world can tell me.

#2 Setup>Hardware>HDMI>HDMI Through>Off ( NOT ON). Once again I dont know what difference this makes .

#1 On Samsung TV- HDMI Black Level>Normal ( NOT LOW)

I am NOT using "through" or "direct" on the AVR anywhere. I continue to use the AVRs video processor.

So as of now all handshakes during input switching continue to complete with these settings on the Onkyo 609 . I am not so sure which solution actually made the difference. I not so sure that just changing those settings on the 609 would have cured the problem. But anyhow all is WELL again in my little part of my A/V world....for now....
04:09 PM Liked: 20
post #2956 of 3919
04-30-2012 | Posts: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeemer View Post

My wife saw my dongle and said "Aww, it's so tiny!"...
04:18 PM Liked: 15
post #2957 of 3919
^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeemer View Post

You only ASSUME his dongle is older than mine. Maybe my dongle is older than his but in better shape
04:25 PM Liked: 20
post #2958 of 3919
04-30-2012 | Posts: 692
Quote:

After hours of frustration and research on forums and switching inputs, cables, settings, harmony remote settings yada yada yada and I mean hours. I think I have finally cured my handshake issue. Roku support wanted me to use the " through" setting and that just pained me to even think about doing that because the video processor in the Onkyo 609 is far superior to that in my STB and TV. Just watching in " through " or " direct" clearly showed it to. So to my solution for the handshake issue between the Roku2 and my Onkyo 609.
#1- 2 new hi-speed 24awg HDMI cables from Monoprice and Blue Jeans cable. ( 1 got here faster so that's why I ordered from two different places). One for Roku2>AVR and one for AVR>TV.
#2- #1 Changed two different settings on the Onkyo 609 as follows....
Setup>Source Settings>Picture Adjust>Wide Mode>Full ( NOT AUTO) I dont know what the difference between Auto and Full is. Maybe someone smarter than me in the Onkyo world can tell me.
#2 Setup>Hardware>HDMI>HDMI Through>Off ( NOT ON). Once again I dont know what difference this makes .

I am NOT using "through" or "direct" on the AVR anywhere. I continue to use the AVRs video processor.

So as of now all handshakes during input switching continue to complete with these settings on the Onkyo 609 . I am not so sure which solution actually made the difference. I not so sure that just changing those settings on the 609 would have cured the problem. But anyhow all is WELL again in my little part of my A/V world....for now....

Congrats, man...feels good to fix a problem without returns/exchanges doesn't it?
04:35 PM Liked: 15
post #2959 of 3919
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrey0118 View Post

Congrats, man...feels good to fix a problem without returns/exchanges doesn't it?

Ya I almost considered buying another Roku2. Still spent money on cables I am not so sure was necessary. Who knows....
06:24 AM Liked: 20
post #2960 of 3919
05-01-2012 | Posts: 692
I noticed on the Onkyo site that the upper level models have a separate video processing chip for 1080p upscaling. The Qdeo chip is only for the 4k upscaling. Which leads me to wonder what kind of chip is doing the 1080p upscaling on my 609? I'm not complaining, I'd just like to know if anyone has the answer.
The 1080p upscaling with Picture set to Through really helps on my 1080i Comcast xfinity signal to reduce motion judder.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie
06:32 AM Liked: 1775
post #2961 of 3919
05-01-2012 | Posts: 46,811
^^
On the 609 and 709 the Marvell QDeo is used to upscale up to 4k (to include 1080p), while the 809 and higher use a separate HQV Vida chip for enhanced video processing to 1080p.
07:09 AM Liked: 20
post #2962 of 3919
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
On the 609 and 709 the Marvell QDeo is used to upscale up to 4k (to include 1080p), while the 809 and higher use a separate HQV Vida chip for enhanced video processing to 1080p.

Ah, thanks JD...is the HQV Vida considered a great chip?
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie
07:34 AM Liked: 1775
post #2963 of 3919
05-01-2012 | Posts: 46,811
^^
Oh yeh .... generally only found on upper level AVRs.

"The new chip, the IDT HQV Vida processor, takes the current high-end Hollywood Quality Video processing technology to a new level of performance, significantly improving the viewing experience for the consumer."

http://www.audioholics.com/education...ida-processing
ReesVictoria's Avatar ReesVictoria
06:06 PM Liked: 10
post #2964 of 3919
05-01-2012 | Posts: 9
Just recently purchased the 609 which replaced my 606. Whenever I watch a Blu-Ray with a DTS HD-MA track, it always plays in 7.1 even if the track is supposed to be only 5.1. All the other audio formats (TrueHD for example) play normally like they should. I have my receiver set to "Straight Decode". Am I doing something wrong? Changing it to "Direct" seems to work but then my receiver displays "Direct" and not DTS HD-MA" which kind of bugs me even though I know it shouldn't. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!
xcrunner529's Avatar xcrunner529
06:44 PM Liked: 15
post #2965 of 3919
05-01-2012 | Posts: 536
Why am I getting white flashes when using Deep Color with the PS3 and my 609? Ive tried two different brand HDMI cables. Happens to both. That's unacceptable.
WeaponX Alpha's Avatar WeaponX Alpha
06:55 PM Liked: 10
post #2966 of 3919
05-01-2012 | Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrunner529 View Post

Why am I getting white flashes when using Deep Color with the PS3 and my 609? Ive tried two different brand HDMI cables. Happens to both. That's unacceptable.

That is known issue with the Onkyo AVRs. Disable Deep Color and the problem will dissapear. And it won't cause any image degradation, since currently there are no BRs or games that use Deep Color.
freeyayo50's Avatar freeyayo50
09:11 PM Liked: 11
post #2967 of 3919
05-01-2012 | Posts: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericab View Post

after some further testing i can confirm that the 2 subwoofer pre-outs share the same signal source, so power levels are halved when using 2 subs.

what i cant understand is why the subs cant make use of the signal; being powered subs and all.
is there some setting im missing to enable the second subwoofer pre-out ?

anyone have input on this ?

Is this really true that the receiver will send a less powerful signal when both subs are connected? Or is this a case of phase canceling?
09:31 PM Liked: 20
post #2968 of 3919
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaponX Alpha View Post

That is known issue with the Onkyo AVRs. Disable Deep Color and the problem will dissapear. And it won't cause any image degradation, since currently there are no BRs or games that use Deep Color.

I have not had any issues with my 609 as far as deep color. I did, however, with my R590 (the receiver that comes in the HT-S5400 package) and I ended up having to disable it in my BD player but not with the 609...go figure.
Tesla1856's Avatar Tesla1856
10:12 PM Liked: 50
post #2969 of 3919
05-01-2012 | Posts: 1,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeyayo50 View Post

Is this really true that the receiver will send a less powerful signal when both subs are connected? Or is this a case of phase canceling?

Yes, they are shared.

No, it doesn't matter... There is no "power" or volume really ... it's "line level output". The sub does the amplification. Must be some other problem they were having.
05:16 AM Liked: 15
post #2970 of 3919
05-02-2012 | Posts: 305
Does unpluggging the AVR cause it to lose all its settings????
Tags: Onkyo Tx Nr609 7 2 Channel Network Thx Certified A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr509 5 1 Channel Network A V Receiver , Onkyo Tx Sr309 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver

Gear in this thread - Nr609 by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Subscribe to this Thread