* TrueHD/DTS-HD decoding to support the latest Blu-ray technology

* 4 DSP Gaming Modes: Rock, Sports, Action, and Role Playing

* On-Screen Display via HDMI

* Burr-Brown DACs for improved jitter and clearer sound

Comparison Chart is Shared here.
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/73958065...NR509_TX-SR309

See less See more
#2 ·
I was considering HT-RC270 when I saw the new receivers on the Onkyo site. TX-NR609 looks really attractive. Anyone have any opinion on the new receivers Onkyo has announced? This seems to have the Marvell Qdeo processing now. Any incite on the performance of this video processor?

#7 ·
I was considering a 308 because it has ARC and 3D to go with my Samsung plasma. It is for a bedroom setup, so I did not want anything fancy. I was just waiting for the street price to drop, but apparently it is out of stock, and the price has gone up where it is in stock.

I am disappointed in the 309, because they removed the banana plug connectors (for the front speakers), and the HD radio port, despite adding OSD, it seems like a lesser unit now. Any thoughts?

Darren

#13 ·
Just ordered the NR 609 from Amazon for 499. Should receive it on Apr 1 and will report back.

Funny the receiver was not available at Amazon until this morning. Yesterday I ordered Denon 1911 and am trying to cancel that order now as I am getting the 609.

Denon is great, but the limitations for me (based on reading) were:

- does not support 7.1 + 2 zone connection (not sure if 609 supports that - if anyone knows please let me know, otherwise will try when I receive it)

- only 4 HDMIs (609 has 6)

- no networking (NR 609 does not have airplay???, only windows)

- no Audyssey DSX (only Dolby Pro IIz) - not sure which is better, but I would rather have both

Drawbacks of NR 609 for me:

- no Audyssey MultiEQ (cheap bastards)

- no Airplay support, hopefully they will fix/ upgrade in the future.

#14 ·
I am planning on making this my first legit receiver purchase and I would love to know what you think.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadorp /forum/post/20225725

Just ordered the NR 609 from Amazon for 499. Should receive it on Apr 1 and will report back.

Funny the receiver was not available at Amazon until this morning. Yesterday I ordered Denon 1911 and am trying to cancel that order now as I am getting the 609.

Denon is great, but the limitations for me (based on reading) were:

- does not support 7.1 + 2 zone connection (not sure if 609 supports that - if anyone knows please let me know, otherwise will try when I receive it)

- only 4 HDMIs (609 has 6)

- no networking (NR 609 does not have airplay???, only windows)

- no Audyssey DSX (only Dolby Pro IIz) - not sure which is better, but I would rather have both

Drawbacks of NR 609 for me:

- no Audyssey MultiEQ (cheap bastards)

- no Airplay support, hopefully they will fix/ upgrade in the future.

#15 ·
Received the receiver today - love amazon $4 next day delivery.

I am totally blown away - compared to my 2 year old entry level yamaha that had a power down issue. I suspect I might have setup the Yamaha receiver wrong, this is how good 609 is.

Very quick to setup, love the on-screen menu, my 5.1 yamaha speakers sound incredible, understands Dolby and DTS that comes from my PC from Creative X-FI sound card (for mkv movies), video adjustments are great.

I have a very tall (30 feet) and wide living room - somewhat difficult setup, but the receiver brought my speakers and content to life.

I have not tried internet radio yet.

Onkyo remote app for iPhone is useful.

Playing iPhone 4 through the usb is great, connects quick and easy. It even displays covert art, although after a delay after you start the song, and the quality is not the best as it looks like it is widening the picture a bit.

DLNA from my windows PC also works well. Scrolling through pages is a bit slow, but I have a very very very big library so not surprising.

No complains so far. Except for the absence of Airplay :-((, but I knew that.

I just bought another pair of surround speakers to use as front height speakers for Audyssey DSX and Dolby D Pro IIz. Should arrive over the weekend and will test out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadorp /forum/post/20225725

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadorp /forum/post/20235988

I really hope that's not true on 609. Who uses analog sources these days?

That's generally how Zone 2 works. Not really a big deal as all you need to do is connect a set of stereo cables to the analog input on the receiver from the source. Doesn't affect the main listening area.

#20 ·
Does NR609 support biamp? Seems yes from the mannul but it is not listed in the feature list on Onkyo's website... Anyone here tried? Any comment on the sound quality for music?

Now the price of NR609 is very close to RC207, not sure if the later is still considered a better deal if I don't care pre in/out that much - not usre if multiEQ makes that big a difference...

#22 ·
Time to move my trusty Sansui G-7500 to the garage system and update to a network enabled AVR with 3D HDMI switching. Currently, I have a 2.0 setup with Monitor Audio RS6's connected as the 'A' speakers inside and 2 Boston Acoustic Voyagers connected as the 'B' speakers outside on the patio. This setup is able to play the same source inside and/or outside. I want to replicate this capability with a 5.1 AVR, play the same source inside and/or outside.

Looking at the new Onkyo TX-NR509 for $350, the owner's manual is HERE .

A couple of questions...

1. Confirm this is the correct speaker connection.

Connect the:

* MA RS6's as main speakers

* Voyagers as surrounds

* Set the AVR to output Stereo

2. How can I shut off the Voyagers when I don't want it playing outside?

Thanks.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatmm /forum/post/0

Does NR609 support biamp? Seems yes from the mannul but it is not listed in the feature list on Onkyo's website... Anyone here tried? Any comment on the sound quality for music?

Now the price of NR609 is very close to RC207, not sure if the later is still considered a better deal if I don't care pre in/out that much - not usre if multiEQ makes that big a difference...

I saw biamp in the menu, but have not tested that.

Sound Quality for music is great IMHO playing from iPhone through USB.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/0

That's generally how Zone 2 works. Not really a big deal as all you need to do is connect a set of stereo cables to the analog input on the receiver from the source. Doesn't affect the main listening area.

Thanks, I think I overreacted. Manual says analog only. Really not a big deal.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by defkon /forum/post/0

Yeah I am dissapointed it only has Audyssey 2EQ... I wish the 609 had at least Multi EQ XT...

Is this doing anything else apart from detecting the distance, level, polarity and crossover value? I adjusted that anyway to my liking - you can hear your adjustments as you do them so it is really easy through the on screen display.

I was put off first by absence of Multi EQ, but I do not care now.

Unless I am missing something...

#26 ·
Just got this receiver and just love all the configurations. I am probably doing something wrong, but can not display the 4000k video setting. The best I can do is 1080/24P. My tv is an Bravia XBR 60LX900 3D. Connection is via HDMI out to HDMI into TV. The service manual has so much to read through.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.