post #331 of 347 Old 03-26-2011, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post

All I need is my charm, although the glow given off by the four 6L6GCs and 5AR4 do have a certain allure.

Back in the early 60s I had my first "high fidelity" system. My amplifier was an Eico monophonic unit that had a huge square transformer housing and four output tubes including two really large ones; it didn't cost me big bucks, but it looked just like the big buck units today. I do remember how much I enjoyed turning off the lights, listening to music and watching those big tubes glow and "pump"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 347 Old 03-26-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

Yep I am, its an 876 and the last AVR that Onkyo made that didn't come with a boatload of problems. Everything since then every model they have put out is loaded with some problem or another and I wouldn't recommend one to an enemy. Thats from the lowest model to their highest. Just think of only the very small percentage of members here who complain about them and then multiply by a thousand or so of the people who have them and don't know any better. At this stage a Sony ES is a better value. At least their CSR's will try to help you with any problem. JMHO. Like it or not.

Thats what you get when you buy a refurb.
post #333 of 347 Old 03-26-2011, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
thanks for the replies guys. today I ordered Onkyo 3008 to replace my $150 Sony DG510 receiver I bought in 2008. yes, it was $150 NEW and it can't get any more entry than that.
I thought about getting the Musical Fidelity V-DAC ($300) and some separates but it looks like 3008 will fulfill my needs. it weighs 55 lbs and has plenty of power, uses PCM1796 DAC chips that are used in $5000 receivers, and it's THX Ultra 2 certified for low impedance capability.
and most of all, nearly 50% off is a hell of a deal. newegg has them for that price for Saturdays only I think.
I'm sure there are better power amp/preamp and external DACs out there but all-in-one 3008 seems to be good enough for me especially at $1149 instead of $2099. I heard even last year's 3007 never went down that low.
post #334 of 347 Old 03-26-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mengu7 View Post

thanks for the replies guys. today I ordered Onkyo 3008 to replace my $150 Sony DG510 receiver I bought in 2008. yes, it was $150 NEW and it can't get any more entry than that.
I thought about getting the Musical Fidelity V-DAC ($300) and some separates but it looks like 3008 will fulfill my needs. it weighs 55 lbs and has plenty of power, uses PCM1796 DAC chips that are used in $5000 receivers, and it's THX Ultra 2 certified for low impedance capability.
and most of all, nearly 50% off is a hell of a deal. newegg has them for that price for Saturdays only I think.
I'm sure there are better power amp/preamp and external DACs out there but all-in-one 3008 seems to be good enough for me especially at $1149 instead of $2099. I heard even last year's 3007 never went down that low.

If you got full range mains that can handle the power, use the BTL mode. In that mode it makes everyother AVR sound wimpy by compare.
post #335 of 347 Old 03-26-2011, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mengu7 View Post

Hey! I just got on this thread; and now you are going to abandon it after only four days? BTW, you can get the Denon 1911 for only $350; and with those efficient speakers, it will give you all the power you really need. Now let's get this thing going again!
post #336 of 347 Old 03-26-2011, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketcash View Post

Thats what you get when you buy a refurb.

Mine was a brand new unit bought from one call,as usual you have no idea what you are talking about. I his Onkyo bought this Onkyo to replace a Yamaha 2600. Are they in they in the same class as for as build quality and reliability? No where even close. The Onkyo is a POS when you compare the two. I've purchased my last Onkyo product. From now own its either Yamaha or Denon. Keep spouting your crap about the virtues of Onkyo products and no one one will believe a word you post. Your'e already half way there. You spout more B.S then anyone I've ever read here in the short time you've been here. as a matter of fact I don't believe you have any idea what you are writing.Why don't you do every one a big favor and go back to the other forum you were no doubt kicked out of.
post #337 of 347 Old 03-27-2011, 04:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Mine was a brand new unit bought from one call,as usual you have no idea what you are talking about. I his Onkyo bought this Onkyo to replace a Yamaha 2600. Are they in they in the same class as for as build quality and reliability? No where even close. The Onkyo is a POS when you compare the two. I've purchased my last Onkyo product. From now own its either Yamaha or Denon. Keep spouting your crap about the virtues of Onkyo products and no one one will believe a word you post. Your'e already half way there. You spout more B.S then anyone I've ever read here in the short time you've been here. as a matter of fact I don't believe you have any idea what you are writing.Why don't you do every one a big favor and go back to the other forum you were no doubt kicked out of.

I have had 3 Onkyos over the last 20yrs, all have been superb. What was your issue?
post #338 of 347 Old 03-27-2011, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmalter0 View Post
I have had 3 Onkyos over the last 20yrs, all have been superb. What was your issue?
Right now none. But then again if I were to pull the fans off it to help in cooling I believe I would experience the same problems that others are having in the Onkyo 876 thread. This is my second Onkyo AVR, the first being the 696 from 2002 IIRC. It is still working as a piece in the bedroom, although it gets very little use. My feelings at this time is that Onkyo's build quality is no where close to the others I've mentioned. I feel that after using the Yamaha 2600 that the 876 is no where near the AVR's made from either Yamaha or Denon. Of course this is with models in the same price range. Read all the threads here and in other forums about what seems to be too many people having problems with newer models from Onkyo. From their least expensive to their higher end models. Just not something I would expect from a CE that has been around a very long time. IMO there are too many other brands available to have to take the chance in purchasing an Onkyo and maybe also dealing with those same problems. I'm happy for you that you have had no problems with your Onkyos. But the list is long with those that have had problems. Too long really.
post #339 of 347 Old 03-27-2011, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketcash View Post
If you got full range mains that can handle the power, use the BTL mode. In that mode it makes everyother AVR sound wimpy by compare.
I wonder, do the clicks sound powerful too?
post #340 of 347 Old 03-27-2011, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 View Post
I wonder, do the clicks sound powerful too?
Yes they do loud and clear. Nothing sounds so good as switching from THX mode to DTS HD or True Dolby. You can hear things from your speakers that was just never there before. You know, I hear things I've never heard before, this thing makes my speakers "sing".
post #341 of 347 Old 03-27-2011, 07:57 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Yes they do loud and clear. Nothing sounds so good as switching from THX mode to DTS HD or True Dolby. You can hear things from your speakers that was just never there before. You know, I hear things I've never heard before, this thing makes my speakers "sing".

it's beautiful aint it?

but there are more advances when talking about 'i hear things i've never heard before'

the industry is supposed to be making the first level of advancement easy to obtain.
not $50 or $100 of powered computer speakers easy, but hardware dedicated to home theater.

getting the room calm by removing the echoes helps.
but improvements in the sonic signature also helps.
you get more realism.
i mean, the sound gets so realistic that you can start to tell how hot it is (or how cold) outside.

when your sonic signature is accurate enough to help inform you what season it was when recorded.. you stop worrying about removing room modes from the room the voice acting took place.
the sound will automatically transfer to the home viewer and will make you think you are actually in the room.

you start to KNOW that the floors are old wood.
you start to realize that the kitchen chairs are plush enough to absorb audio.
the fridge doesnt hold cold air very well.
and there is probably a window on a wall you cant see.

resolution applies to all walks of life.
its definition that becomes the threshold.
once the audio industry gets that high, your speakers might be capable of definition.. but its important how accurate the definition is.

most everybody is still working their way to owning a system that can be classified as having definition.

some people have higher resolution speakers, but they sound like tin and require lots of fabric in the room (carpet, plush couch, high ceilings, preferably no chance for the audio to hit the wall)
other speakers have higher resolution, but are too beefy (rich)

i would suppose, eventually, these speakers will start to become combined to make a speaker with less obvious complaints.

my system is a meat pile with a bump in details.
i think the bump in details are actually what was introduced to the car audio industry in the 1990's.
most home theater improvements simply reduced the beef in the sound and gave a bump in resolution.
then they gave a huge bump in resolution, but the speakers sound bright and 'tin' like.

nowadays.. low budget speakers are starting to resemble the reduced beef and bump in resolution.
there's no choice but to increase the resolution if you want to continue promoting 'upgrades' in the audio industry.
i'm thinking the speakers are gonna have various amounts of beefy sound.
and as long as the bump in resolution is there, i think people are free to select the amount of beef in their sound.
neutral is best, but sometimes people want something different and you just gotta let it go.
sometimes they keep the sound away from neutral so that it doesnt feel like they are listening to people as normal.
turning on the television and having the speakers sound different, its like wearing clothes to get dirty.. or wearing clothes to get wet.
it helps detach oneself from busy society.
and that can speak a large amount when you use the speakers to help yourself relax.

i prefer to sit down and watch television without thinking somebody is gonna knock on the door.
and if i was going to pop in a movie, i would expect that i am responsible enough to organize an hour of alone time.
if that means hanging a 'move time.. do not disturb' sign on the door.. that should block anybody that i havent already talked to and said that i would be relaxing and becoming detached to really get into the movie.

who continues to pay attention to their animals while getting detached to watch a movie?
when i watch a movie.. i resign from the neighborhood watch team
post #342 of 347 Old 03-28-2011, 08:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
i'm begininning to believe that the "ibm testing watson" theory is correct...

geez... what a waste of bandwidth...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #343 of 347 Old 03-28-2011, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

i'm begininning to believe that the "ibm testing watson" theory is correct...

geez... what a waste of bandwidth...

+1. Biggest issue for me is it takes several swipes at my scroll wheel to get past . . .
post #344 of 347 Old 03-28-2011, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHAz View Post

+1. Biggest issue for me is it takes several swipes at my scroll wheel to get past . . .

LMFAO!!!!!

Awesome!
post #345 of 347 Old 03-28-2011, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 91
No offense intended, anway, but do you occasionally partake of recreational pharmaceuticals?

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #346 of 347 Old 03-28-2011, 10:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:

What a beautiful setup. Rated at what about 15 to 20 watts max. Nothing sounds like the tubes especially for our trusty turntables. AH, the good old days when the dynamics were there.

here here
post #347 of 347 Old 03-28-2011, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHAz View Post

That member already made it onto my ignore list. No scroll wheel issues for me.

An audiophile likes to talk about how much they spent and how good it sounds.

A DIY'er likes to talk about how little they spent and how good it sounds.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page