Help with Preamp or Reciever buy - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-22-2011, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi members,

I am in need of some expert help /advise. I own the Marantz SR8002 and have it paired up with Parasound HCA 2205 AT. My question is should I buy a true Preamp to pair with a new amp I have not recieved yet, (LEXICON LX7) instead of using my SR8002. I have never used seperates so I have no idea if this is better than what I now am using. I use Klipsch RF7's for my fronts, RC7 Center, RVX54 rear surrounds, no sub at this time. Mine is tore up. I would like to test out to see if I like 7.1 but will do later. I would like the new 1.4 HDMI Spec but is not neccesarily a must since I can use my OPPO 93 with the dual HDMI. Sacd is pretty important to me and I do now enjoy this with SR8002. Again I could PCM this if new Pre does not offer this. Anyway I would like to hear opinions from those who may have used there recievers such as me with a seperate amp and have also used seperates at one time or the other. I would like to know what they feel about this. I will listen from anyone who seems to have some objective advise/critisism to help me figure out the best way to go. I can buy the Marantz AV8003 at a good price since going out to make way for AV7005, but is this a waste given I already have SR8002. Is there better choices out there that I may not be understanding. Hope I am not being silly with all this but I am not a big time audiophile or anything but just happen to love music and movies both and want the best I can afford. I can afford around 1500-2000 for a new processor if need be. Please help with decission.

Thanks,
J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-22-2011, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Go for the Marantz AV7005 if you feel the need to upgrade. It seems to be the bargain at this time and this forum has many users who love them. It does have a better version of Audyssey over the 8002 IIRC. That will be the difference maker. Is it needed? Thats only something you can decide. If the upgrade bug has bitten you already you may as well remedy it by going the total separates route.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-22-2011, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

Go for the Marantz AV7005 if you feel the need to upgrade. It seems to be the bargain at this time and this forum has many users who love them. It does have a better version of Audyssey over the 8002 IIRC. That will be the difference maker. Is it needed? Thats only something you can decide. If the upgrade bug has bitten you already you may as well remedy it by going the total separates route.

It is not so much the upgrade bug is bitting, it's just not wanting to use a redundant setup. Just want to be sure my Marantz SR8002 is giving me what a seperate could give me. Afterall I can sell the SR8002 to someone using it for reciever only and go for seperate if this is better option to get the best musicality and Home Theatre experience. I just have never used seperates so no way I can possibly know. If there is no gain to my ears then no sence in buying the seperate Pre-amp. Also anyone who maybe has heard both the Marantz AV7005 and the AV8003 have an opinion on sound quality between these two, as well as Networking abillity. I kno a big difference in terms of Audysse and the new 1.4 HDMI, but is the AV8003 better overall other than these additions to the AV7005. Only those whom have had both can say for sure I guess. Maybe better options for the money as well. I just have no clue.
post #4 of 5 Old 03-22-2011, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 84
There are those here that have tried the Integras pre-pros and you will get different opinions with one of those as well. Is it possible for your dealer to let you try an AV7005 at home? That would be the best possible way to find out for yourself if the investment is worth it. I'm lucky in that I have two dealers I work with that will let me try anything I want at home. I realize that most do not have this option. If you bought your current setup from a dealer instead of one of the internet dealers that may be something they will let you try out. Other than that someone that used both setups will have to give you the answer and good luck with that as we all hear things differently, let alone speaker types, room size, and how they actually use theirs. Of course the other option is to buy the AV7005 and if you notice the difference you expect return it and then try the 8003. I would still feel though that of the two the AV7005 would be the way to go due to the version of Audyssey as compared to the 8003. Of course there is also another option and that would be to keep what you have and just purchase the AS-EQ1 from SVS and that would give you Audyssey Multi-EQ XT32. A much better version of Audyssey than either the 7005 or 8003. It sells for ~$750. SVS does have a return policy that seems fair.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-22-2011, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

There are those here that have tried the Integras pre-pros and you will get different opinions with one of those as well. Is it possible for your dealer to let you try an AV7005 at home? That would be the best possible way to find out for yourself if the investment is worth it. I'm lucky in that I have two dealers I work with that will let me try anything I want at home. I realize that most do not have this option. If you bought your current setup from a dealer instead of one of the internet dealers that may be something they will let you try out. Other than that someone that used both setups will have to give you the answer and good luck with that as we all hear things differently, let alone speaker types, room size, and how they actually use theirs. Of course the other option is to buy the AV7005 and if you notice the difference you expect return it and then try the 8003. I would still feel though that of the two the AV7005 would be the way to go due to the version of Audyssey as compared to the 8003. Of course there is also another option and that would be to keep what you have and just purchase the AS-EQ1 from SVS and that would give you Audyssey Multi-EQ XT32. A much better version of Audyssey than either the 7005 or 8003. It sells for ~$750. SVS does have a return policy that seems fair.

Thanks for replys so far folks. phantom 52, SVS maybe an option but I probably will just try the AV7005. At worst I will have to pay restock fee but will more than likely be happy as I have always enjoyed Marantz Products and do love the SR8002. Ijust wanted a bit more soundstage from my RF7's even thoe they are very good as they are, can't help but feel I am missing something. Maybe I need tubes. Thanks and I will keep looking in on the thread and maybe get a bite.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page