Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-26-2011, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello

was not sure where to start this thread, so please move if necessary

few days ago i had an opportunity to purchase razer barracuda and fatality headphones for only 100 usd (both brand new, unopened) originally my plan was to buy something better, but due to price i decided to give it a try and i must admit i am quite silly that i did not switch to dedicated soundcard earlier

BUT, i am absolutely not satisfied with volume level for my headphones, so is there any solution like external headphones amp (good quality,but max in region of 50 usd) if its more expensive then i just replace a soundcard with the one that has integrated amp for headset.

so here comes my second question, maybe i need to replace it anyway? coz i am going to buy AV receiver and 5.1 speakers set, so can my card function as a main audio source for my movie collection ? (mainly DTS, DD, AC3 and some DTS HD) if not then which card would you advise? but it should also have analog connectivity possibility so i can still use my pc surround speakers
creative inspire t6100 when sitting in front of pc lcd and not watching movies on main tv

thanx in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-27-2011, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter

anyone?
post #3 of 4 Old 03-27-2011, 02:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
That's a fairly old soundcard, but if memory serves its a CMI8788 clone, so I wouldn't sell it for love nor money - it's got one of the best DSPs ever designed for computer audio (short of the X-Fi and some of the ritizier stuff from pro audio companies).

You won't get the HD codecs from a PC; period. You can pass DTS and Dolby via anything with a S/PDIF output, and analog via appropriate jacks; DD is the same thing as AC3. The card you have also does DDL and a mess of other encoding programs, meaning you can connect it via S/PDIF to whatever receiver you can come up with, and it will play nice. Stereo, 5.1, whatever you can find to hook it into.

There is no point in buying a new card, you'd be replacing what you have, with what you have - headphone amplifiers may run you more than $50 though. Honestly though, you should be able to get those headphones loud enough to take your head off; so at the expense of sounding like your mother: turn the damn thing down, your hearing is important.

Plug your headphones into something else, like the Creative speaker system, and see what they do - it may just be that the headphones themselves are damaged (or just plain suck).
post #4 of 4 Old 03-27-2011, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walbert View Post

That's a fairly old soundcard, but if memory serves its a CMI8788 clone, so I wouldn't sell it for love nor money - it's got one of the best DSPs ever designed for computer audio (short of the X-Fi and some of the ritizier stuff from pro audio companies).

You won't get the HD codecs from a PC; period. You can pass DTS and Dolby via anything with a S/PDIF output, and analog via appropriate jacks; DD is the same thing as AC3. The card you have also does DDL and a mess of other encoding programs, meaning you can connect it via S/PDIF to whatever receiver you can come up with, and it will play nice. Stereo, 5.1, whatever you can find to hook it into.

There is no point in buying a new card, you'd be replacing what you have, with what you have - headphone amplifiers may run you more than $50 though. Honestly though, you should be able to get those headphones loud enough to take your head off; so at the expense of sounding like your mother: turn the damn thing down, your hearing is important.

Plug your headphones into something else, like the Creative speaker system, and see what they do - it may just be that the headphones themselves are damaged (or just plain suck).

thanks Walbert got your point

btw played today crysis 2 via my setup and it was so enjoyable, so maybe this headset is not good for music, but anyway i prefer to listen to music via speakers, so will be looking forward to build home theater thing
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page