LFE (subwoofer out) signal issue with Onkyo TX-SR805 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-26-2011, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Onkyo is not sending LFE signal when present to the subwoofer hence no bass. If I disconnect and reconnect the cable from the subwoofer end, LFE signal is detected and I will get bass. I tried several cables and two different subwoofer but the result is the same. Before I drag the Onkyo to a repair shop, is there anything I could try to rule out setting/setup issues ?

BTW, I had the same problem with this receiver 2 years ago, took it to a repair shop under warranty but I made the mistake of not testing it when I got it back and I just stored it since I went separates that same year. Apparently Onkyo didn't fix the problem and just did a factory rest and sent it back. I now need to use it in the family room and it's still under warranty untill 2012 but Circuit City isn't where I bought this unit from. I wonder where I can file my warranty claim now that CC doesn't exist no more or could I still file with the Circuity City which is under new ownership or is CC's warranty handled by a different company ? Thank you all for your input.

I want to hear opinions from people who don't have a dog in the fight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-12-2012, 02:46 PM

Hi

I'm having the same problem, but my receiver is out of warranty.

Did you ever get this sorted out?

russ
post #3 of 8 Old 01-12-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
does your sub have auto sense turn on feature? if so try disabling it so that the receiver sees that the sub is "on".

Strong or weak in the end we are all dead
post #4 of 8 Old 01-12-2012, 08:08 PM

Hi

Thanks for the reply!

I'll give it a shot tonight.

BTW - does it matter f the components are THX-compliant and/or set up as THX components? I did not realize that the receiver checks to see if there is "something there" or not.

In this case, the baby sub (B&W AS2) is not a THX device.

Thanks again

russ
post #5 of 8 Old 01-13-2012, 04:13 AM

Stupid question but are you plugging it into the Sub out or the Sub in? There is an input for a sub too.

post #6 of 8 Old 01-13-2012, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
The receiver cannot check to see if there is anything connected to the preouts, the signal should be there regardless. Devilbones asks a good question...make sure you're connecting the the subwoofer preOUT, NOT the subwoofer jack for the 7.1 channel preamp INputs.

I had an old Onkyo that suffered the same problem (602). The sub out just quit working one day. Went through the trouble of finding and taking it to a local service center. I was pissed when they called me to tell me there was nothing wrong. They got pissed when I insisted that they show me that it was working in the shop. So he hooks it up to the preamp inputs of a tv, cranks the volume on the receiver, and it barely puts out sound. So it seemed highly attenuated. He wouldn't buy the 'it should be louder than that' line from me, so I was forced to take it home. Got it home, and surprisingly, it cal'd fine in my old system, with near original settings. Weird for sure.

bg
post #7 of 8 Old 01-13-2012, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
The point about having a sub with "auto on" is related to the sensing circuit in the sub. The sub turns on based on the audio signal (voltage) from the receiver. If the signal voltage doesn't reach the sub's "auto" threshold, it won't turn on. And these circuits have been known to degrade or fail over time. One can offset a high "auto" threshold if using low MV settings by turning the gain down on the sub itself and raising the sub trim level in the receiver to compensate. Or, set the sub to always on instead of auto...I've seen numerous posters report their plate amps end up drawing essentially the same power when measured in auto/off and idle/on conditions.

-Brent
post #8 of 8 Old 01-14-2012, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Another thing to check is the subwoofer jack on the AVR. Some AVR's have two, some can also have a subwoofer jack for pre-outs. Ensure you're plugged into the correct sub out jack.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page