onkyo tx-nr708 issues - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 03-27-2011, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, just recently got an Onkyo 708. Crutchfield had it for a great price, $599, so I figured I'd give it a try. I have to say, though, that I am becoming increasingly frustrated with it. The sound quality is great, but the issues are mounting.

First, the well-documented problem with audio cutting out with using AT&T u-verse through HDMI. Well, that sucks, but there's a workaround, right? Either change the u-verse box to stereo output which essentially defeats the purpose of listening to TV through an AV receiver or use component inputs and the optical out. I did the stereo out for a while because I was too lazy to change the output connections for a while, but then I got tired of that and yesterday changed that to component and optical, and the problem is still there! Almost seems worse! Geez! Frustrating. When I first got the receiver, I called Crutchfield about the problem, not realizing yet how it was so widespread and they didn't really seem to know what to do but to switch the u-verse box to stereo.

So, now I have it set up through optical and it's still doing it. It makes me think that this problem is with the receiver, even though it's documented that it's an AT&T problem. The receiver I used to use was a Gateway LN-520 and the optical out from the u-verse box worked fine.

Second, Slacker radio. Ugh. How frustrating. I can't seem to get more than 1-2 songs to play in a row until it gets an error. Pandora seems to work better, but 1.) it still does quit after a while 2.) I think you're limited to 40 hours of play a month and 3.) I use my wife's account on it and I don't want to have to sign in and out to use it all the time since it's so cumbersome.

I've tried setting a static IP, checked that the firmware is up to date and replaced the network cable. I have to say, though, that when it is playing, it sounds great for internet radio. Very impressive.

If anyone has any suggestions on anything I could do to help these situations I would greatly appreciate it. I know there are other threads out there about this receiver and address some of these issues, but some of those go for over 45 pages and there are different topics all mixed in so it's hard to find information that stays on topic.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr708
Gear in this thread - Nr708 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page