Onkyo TX NR609 THX Select 2 Networking HDMI V1.4 Owner's Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 390 Old 05-03-2011, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The 609 I bought HDMI output went out. I am sending it back to Newegg today. They did comp shipping.

One thing I cannot find how to change is my Samsung tv is telling the receiver to switch to TV input when I turn everything on. I don't want it to switch to anything unless I tell it to.

Also, will it automatically detect the correct sound mode depending on the source? (not sure if I explained that well) If I'm watching the NBA Playoffs on TNT (Go Mavs), and the channel is putting out DTS surround sound. Will the receiver pick that up and change to DTS?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 390 Old 05-03-2011, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
If you leave the 609 set to "surround" - I believe, it will decode the audio as its fed. This is what I do - works great.

As far as the switching, I believe there is a section under HDMI RHID control or something - turn that off and the onkyo will ignore the TV. -at least that is what I remember from reading the manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_tiger View Post

The 609 I bought HDMI output went out. I am sending it back to Newegg today. They did comp shipping.

One thing I cannot find how to change is my Samsung tv is telling the receiver to switch to TV input when I turn everything on. I don't want it to switch to anything unless I tell it to.

Also, will it automatically detect the correct sound mode depending on the source? (not sure if I explained that well) If I'm watching the NBA Playoffs on TNT (Go Mavs), and the channel is putting out DTS surround sound. Will the receiver pick that up and change to DTS?

post #63 of 390 Old 05-03-2011, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:

Hi big_tiger, this is cause by the Samsung HDMI-CEC feature (AnyNet+) being set to on.
post #64 of 390 Old 05-03-2011, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

See page 55 of the manual. Since this is TNT, do you mean DolbyD 5.1?

“A great thunderstorm of sound gushed from the walls. Music bombarded him at such an immense volume that his bones were almost shaken from their tendons; he felt his jaw vibrate, his eyes wobble in his head. He was a victim of concussion.” ― Fahrenheit 451
post #65 of 390 Old 05-05-2011, 06:11 AM

Did you get your jitter problem resolved, I think I have the same problem.
post #66 of 390 Old 05-05-2011, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleWriter View Post

Have had my 609 for about 10 days and loving it, but over the weekend something came to light that has me disturbed. I have a Windows Media PC connnected via Linksys DMA2200 extender and a Western Digital Live Hub. All are connected to the 609 via HDMI cables and all network connections are via cat6 cabling. The PC also has a 3tb NAS where I store BD movies converted to MKV files. Saturday night I was watching one of these movies stored locally on the Live Hub and I noticed a little bit of jitter in the picture. It is almost imperceptible, but on slow panning shots it is not quite smooth and appears to drop a frame or two ever so slightly at random. Thought it might have had something to do with the conversion, so I shrugged it off. Yesterday I was watching some recorded TV on the extender (CSI) and again noticed this same jitter. Again, I thought since it was recorded that it might have to do with the source material, so I disconnected the HDMI from the 609 and connected it directly from the extender to the TV. No more jitter.

Now I'm freaking out that the 609 is doing something to the HDMI signal that's causing this jitter. I can't live with this. Since it has happened on 2 different input sources I'm almost sure it has nothing to do with the source material. With the extender the source is stored on a PC and carried over the network, but with the Live Hub the source is stored directly on its 1tb hard drive. I have about a week left to return this unit to the store. Any ideas? Anyone else seeing anything like this? Could it be a setting I need to change?

did you get your problem fixed, I think I have the same issue.
post #67 of 390 Old 05-05-2011, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphnora View Post

Did you get your jitter problem resolved, I think I have the same problem.

I think I may have noticed it with my 609 as well. I am not certain though - it's not repeatable and I caught a lot of flak last year for bringing it up with the 608.

I wonder if Onkyo uses a proprietary chip to handle part of the video processing and the qdeo for another - might explain why the problem might persist with the 609 despite the changing of vp from farjouda to qdeo.
post #68 of 390 Old 05-05-2011, 09:05 AM

Has anybody had any luck setting this up for their receiver? (I have the free version available from the Android Market)

I have become very frustrated because it seems as though I have the IP address and Port assignments and it should be working (or at least connecting). Had anybody had similar problems and can provide suggestions.

Aside - does anybody know if Onkyo is coming out with an "official" app for Android phones?
Thanks,
Ridgely

P. S. Note to Onkyo - if you haven't already, you should start developing an Android Compatible Remote.

- Ridgely
post #69 of 390 Old 05-05-2011, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

I am running it... works fairly well - at least for my purposes. - here is my post from the other thread - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post20391649

Does your "NET" stuff work on the onkyo - if so then you should try to enter the ip address of the onkyo into a web browser from your network - it should take you to a web set up menu. If that works, then you know your onkyo is good to go on the network. Next go into the setup menu on the onkyo itself and make sure network control is enabled and your port is listed as the same you have onkytroller set to. Mine is the default - 60128. You can also try to telnet in from a windows command prompt - "telnet 192.168.0.9 60128" in my case. After I do that I get a response like this - "iscp> @!1NSLCP" - then a whole bunch of stuff if I send it a command.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgelyiv View Post

Has anybody had any luck setting this up for their receiver? (I have the free version available from the Android Market)

I have become very frustrated because it seems as though I have the IP address and Port assignments and it should be working (or at least connecting). Had anybody had similar problems and can provide suggestions.

Aside - does anybody know if Onkyo is coming out with an "official" app for Android phones?
Thanks,
Ridgely

P. S. Note to Onkyo - if you haven't already, you should start developing an Android Compatible Remote.

post #70 of 390 Old 05-05-2011, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

How to display temperature - I have not tried this yet, so I dont know if it works. Will try later tonight.
========================
From High Def Digest
Please note, all of the commands below are applied by using the buttons on the front panel of your receiver and NOT on your remote. In addition, the "secret" menu screens will only appear on the front display panel of your receiver, they will NOT show up on your TV.

How do I see the Temperature readout on this receiver?
1) Turn on Receiver
2) HOLD down the "Display" button and press "Standby" button once.
3) Release the "Display" button.
4) Now press the "Tone" button once
5) The temperature in Celsius and Fahrenheit will be displayed. These temperatures are being displayed in real time so you can leave this info on display for as long as you want to monitor the receivers temp.
post #71 of 390 Old 05-05-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim tressler View Post
How to display temperature
Thanks. I'll have to try that.

“A great thunderstorm of sound gushed from the walls. Music bombarded him at such an immense volume that his bones were almost shaken from their tendons; he felt his jaw vibrate, his eyes wobble in his head. He was a victim of concussion.” ― Fahrenheit 451
post #72 of 390 Old 05-12-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:

Thanks,
Ridgely

Did you get any success connecting OnkyTroller to you Onkyo Receiver?

Which receiver do you have?

Please let me know and I'll help you out!
post #73 of 390 Old 05-12-2011, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm having a pass-through issue with my receiver. At one point, when the receiver was off, it would pass the audio/video to the PC input and I could watch/listen to TV with the stereo off. Now for some reason when it's off it's going to the Net input, even though when I turn the receiver on and go to setup it set to PC for power off. Any ideas what I'm missing?
post #74 of 390 Old 05-12-2011, 04:25 PM

We have been discussing the issue in another thread & a few of us have been having the same problem. Try the following to fix it

1. Perform a factory reset by holding down the VCR / DVR button & the on/standby button on the receiver simultaneously (you will lose all your custom settings)
2. Go into the setup menu & select Hardware Setup, then HDMI
3. Turn on HDMI Control (RIHD)
4. Hit the return button to edit out of the menu.

This should enable HDMI Through, but some people have had the issue pop back up again. In that case, you might need to perform steps 1-4 again.... Might need to also add some sort of voodoo ritual with a dead chicken for good measure.

In all seriousness, there seems to be a firmware bug. Maybe it will get addressed in a future update, but that's the way it goes with new electronics anymore. Good luck!
post #75 of 390 Old 05-13-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onkytroller View Post

Did you get any success connecting OnkyTroller to you Onkyo Receiver?

Which receiver do you have?

Please let me know and I'll help you out!

Yeah, jimtressel helped out. The problem had to do with my wifi network connecting after Onkytroller had started. Once I got it connected to the receiver (609) I got the pro version so I could use Zone 2. Works like a charm now, although the program itself has a long way to go before it is a "full function" remote.

Couple of suggestions:
1) Volume control (if it has this I can't figure out how it works)
2) Radio Station tuner
3) Customized input buttons (taken from the Receiver)
4) give the option to not see the startup message.

Thanks and keep the updates coming!

- Ridgely
post #76 of 390 Old 05-13-2011, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Volume control - On my droid x it is the volume rockers on the side.. lol took me 3 days to figure that out

Radio Station tuner was just added - only played with it a few minutes.. works well

Customized input buttons - if you long press the source button on onkytroller you can rename it. You can also reassign buttons based on how the onkyo is set at that time

Quote:

Yeah, jimtressel helped out. The problem had to do with my wifi network connecting after Onkytroller had started. Once I got it connected to the receiver (609) I got the pro version so I could use Zone 2. Works like a charm now, although the program itself has a long way to go before it is a "full function" remote.

Couple of suggestions:
1) Volume control (if it has this I can't figure out how it works)
2) Radio Station tuner
3) Customized input buttons (taken from the Receiver)
4) give the option to not see the startup message.

Thanks and keep the updates coming!

post #77 of 390 Old 05-13-2011, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleWriter View Post

Have had my 609 for about 10 days and loving it, but over the weekend something came to light that has me disturbed. I have a Windows Media PC connnected via Linksys DMA2200 extender and a Western Digital Live Hub. All are connected to the 609 via HDMI cables and all network connections are via cat6 cabling. The PC also has a 3tb NAS where I store BD movies converted to MKV files. Saturday night I was watching one of these movies stored locally on the Live Hub and I noticed a little bit of jitter in the picture. It is almost imperceptible, but on slow panning shots it is not quite smooth and appears to drop a frame or two ever so slightly at random. Thought it might have had something to do with the conversion, so I shrugged it off. Yesterday I was watching some recorded TV on the extender (CSI) and again noticed this same jitter. Again, I thought since it was recorded that it might have to do with the source material, so I disconnected the HDMI from the 609 and connected it directly from the extender to the TV. No more jitter.

Now I'm freaking out that the 609 is doing something to the HDMI signal that's causing this jitter. I can't live with this. Since it has happened on 2 different input sources I'm almost sure it has nothing to do with the source material. With the extender the source is stored on a PC and carried over the network, but with the Live Hub the source is stored directly on its 1tb hard drive. I have about a week left to return this unit to the store. Any ideas? Anyone else seeing anything like this? Could it be a setting I need to change?

Sounds like this bugged got carried over even with the switch to the Qdeo VP. I thought the bug was related to Faroudja, but now it sounds like it is something else related to Onkyo's hardware implementation. I had a similar issue with the 1007 w/Faroudja VP. When viewing 1080p24, roughly every 40s a frame was dropped. It is very noticeable on slow moving pans and scrolling credits. The only work around was to turn off the VP which essentially kills the use of the on-screen display of the receiver functions. I just upgraded to 3008 w/ a HQV VP and so far I have not noticed this issue. Many of us speculated it was something in Faroudja, but it must be something else in the chain in the models w/o HQV.

post #78 of 390 Old 05-13-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim tressler View Post

Volume control - On my droid x it is the volume rockers on the side.. lol took me 3 days to figure that out

Radio Station tuner was just added - only played with it a few minutes.. works well

Customized input buttons - if you long press the source button on onkytroller you can rename it. You can also reassign buttons based on how the onkyo is set at that time

4) Startup message only shows the first time after install.

Thanks Jim, you could be my helpdesk
post #79 of 390 Old 05-13-2011, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

now if we could just get onkyo to send info to zone2 for the net input we would be flyin!
post #80 of 390 Old 05-14-2011, 08:27 AM

I just bought the TX-NR609. Everything works great, except I cannot get the Audyssey2Eq autosetup to work correctly. I have 5.1 speaker setup. It detected my all 6 of my speakers okay, except it gave me a "speaker error" on my left front speaker and would not let me finish the setup. I tried it many times and still the same thing to the left speaker. I tried the reset option to factory default and that did not help. I swapped my left speaker with my right speaker just to see if maybe the right speaker now will show error. However, it is now giving me errors on both my left and right speaker. Not at all what I expected. I don't want to return this receiver unless I cannot get this to work. Can someone help? I can hear all the speakers clearly. When it generated the sound, I can hear both the left and right sound tones coming from both speakers. Is the test tone trying to hit some type of special frequencies or something? This is really baffling because it is frusting to actually hear the speaker test tones sound okay, but I'm still getting speaker errors from the detection process. Help!!!

Yamaha RX-V795a (main amp)
HSU VTF-3
2 PSB 5Ts
1 PSB 9C
2 PSB 2Bs
post #81 of 390 Old 05-14-2011, 08:35 AM

By the way, I did download the new firmware and this did not resolve the Audyssey2Eq autosetup not detecting my left speaker correctly.

HSU VTF-3
2 PSB 5Ts
1 PSB 9C
2 PSB 2Bs
post #82 of 390 Old 05-14-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski2Sea2 View Post
By the way, I did download the new firmware and this did not resolve the Audyssey2Eq autosetup not detecting my left speaker correctly.
Have you re-checked the basic setup? Correct polarity with the speaker cable, no wire strands shorting at the contacts at either end, bad cable, etc.? If all of that is good, are you sure the one speaker doesn't have an issue (aside from the cable itself), as it is giving you an error on another channel?

If things check out okay with the speakers and cables then maybe it's a defective unit.

post #83 of 390 Old 05-15-2011, 12:37 PM

I think if the connections were bad, I would not hear anything at all from the speakers (left or right). I'm just not sure why it picked up all the other speakers. very strange as the speakers sound great. thanks

HSU VTF-3
2 PSB 5Ts
1 PSB 9C
2 PSB 2Bs
post #84 of 390 Old 05-15-2011, 02:24 PM

Liked: 22
Hello,
I have the 709, but this is the closest forum I could find.
1) Does any one know how to program in a code in the remote control set up menu. It has 2 numbers preprogrammed into the menu for the device I'm trying to control but neither of those work and I can't figure out how to stick a different number in.
2) Does any one know what the remote control number is for the 709 so that I can program the 709 into a universal remote? I've emailed Onkyo but they have not responded so I figured some one here might know. So far I've tried: 0135. 0182, 0782, 0842, 0882 & 0890 and none of those work????
Thanks.........

Doug

TV Room Upgrade Completed

post #85 of 390 Old 05-16-2011, 05:11 AM

If you turn off the video processing....will you loose all the osd and menus?

Interested in the ht rc360.
post #86 of 390 Old 05-16-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcmkx2000 View Post

If you turn off the video processing....will you loose all the osd and menus?

Not with the 609.

post #87 of 390 Old 05-17-2011, 06:10 AM

Liked: 12
Hello,

I still not an NR609 owner, but I intend to acquire one unit next month.

I have noticed that there is a new firmware update available for NR609.

The 05/12/2011 update addresses the following:
1. Improves the noise with Picture Mode (Edge Enhancement, Custom, Cinema)
2. Improves the picture quality
3. Improves [NET/USB] playback
4. Enhances the display on the screen (OSD)

Firmware update available from Onkyo US Website.

[]'s
post #88 of 390 Old 05-17-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy-2 View Post

Yes....I finally got the HDMI Through to work. Although, I as "tinkering" with several options, so I am not sure which one did the trick. Listed below is a quick summary of what I did.....

Under Input/Output Assign
- Verified HDMI Inputs --> removed any HDMI inputs not used
- Verified Digital Audio Input --> OPTICAL 1 was also set on my HDMI input so I fixed that.

Under Hardware Setup, HDMI
- HDMI Through set to Auto
- Audio TV Out set to Off

Like I said, it is working just fine now, but not 100% sure which setting did the trick. Good Luck!

This fixed it for about a week, then out of the blue it stopped working again. Just for the h3ll of it I tried to update the FW, not knowing they just released a new version on 5/11 and its working again for now...
post #89 of 390 Old 05-20-2011, 11:29 AM

I really really want to buy the NR609, I am watching and seeing if the price goes down any. I hope so!
post #90 of 390 Old 05-21-2011, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motta View Post

I have noticed that there is a new firmware update available for NR609.

The 05/12/2011 update addresses the following:

Firmware update available from Onkyo US Website.

[]'s

I don't see that firmware on their site. The latest I see is 04/01/11

EDIT: Their site is confusing. It's hard to determine if the firmware is 5/12/11 or if their instructions were updated. I'm downloading the zip file now. I haven't had any luck with wired updates.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page