Onkyo TX NR609 THX Select 2 Networking HDMI V1.4 Owner's Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 390 Old 05-22-2011, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4zz4 View Post

Hi All

I'm getting an intermittent crackle out of my right surround speaker of my 5.1 set up. I've checked the cabling, changed the speaker, swapped the HDMI cable from sky box to receiver, swapped the HDMI from receiver to tv and downloaded the firmware (twice). It seems to be more prevalent when watching films/shows that offer HD,AD,DD etc. Furthermore, I seem to get it more on THX settings.
Any help, as ever, is very much appreciated.

I got the same issue. Any luck fixing it? Recommendations will be appreciated.

Note: Crackling noise is only when listening mode is on THX Cinema DTS. Since Im using a PS3 for bluray playback, I wonder if the noise is caused by the way the PS3 deliver DTS HD sound.

Update: After reset to default and test without Audyssey calibration the crackling noise went away. Going to calibrate it and test again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 390 Old 05-22-2011, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
What's the trick to updating the firmware? I've tried numerous times both via the Net and via USB. I think I've followed the directions in the manual and the website, but I can get to the Update part and it just sits there and doesn't proceed. I even left it on while I was gone for a few hours and it doesn't seem to have done anything.
post #93 of 390 Old 05-22-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetual98 View Post

What's the trick to updating the firmware? I've tried numerous times both via the Net and via USB. I think I've followed the directions in the manual and the website, but I can get to the Update part and it just sits there and doesn't proceed. I even left it on while I was gone for a few hours and it doesn't seem to have done anything.

Have you tried net update thru the ODS display? Thas the way I got it to work. BTW the update procces could take up to 1 hour.
post #94 of 390 Old 05-22-2011, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocuk View Post

Have you tried net update thru the ODS display? Thas the way I got it to work. BTW the update procces could take up to 1 hour.

Yeah, I've tried it through the remote and the unit itself. I was under the impression that it would actually tell you that it's doing something (downloading, copying, installing, etc) while it's working. Mine just sits there locked up and I have to power it down. I will try it again for grins.
post #95 of 390 Old 05-22-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:

Yeah, I've tried it through the remote and the unit itself. I was under the impression that it would actually tell you that it's doing something (downloading, copying, installing, etc) while it's working. Mine just sits there locked up and I have to power it down. I will try it again for grins.

In the receiver display you should see the progress. i.e Downloading .....

Note: Once the update progress start you wont be able to see the ODS display.
post #96 of 390 Old 05-22-2011, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, I'm wondering if I got a bum unit. How does one do the factory reset again? Earlier in this thread it said to hold down VCR/DVD and Power, but that doesn't seem to do anything.
post #97 of 390 Old 05-22-2011, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

Hi perpetual98, you may already done this but double check that "HDMI Control" is set to "Off".
post #98 of 390 Old 05-22-2011, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, I've made sure that it's off. I'll try to mess with it more later. My lawn needs to get cut and I hate wasting nice days inside.
post #99 of 390 Old 05-22-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:

I got the same issue. Any luck fixing it? Recommendations will be appreciated.

Note: Crackling noise is only when listening mode is on THX Cinema DTS. Since Im using a PS3 for bluray playback, I wonder if the noise is caused by the way the PS3 deliver DTS HD sound.

Update: After reset to default and test without Audyssey calibration the crackling noise went away. Going to calibrate it and test again.

I found the source of the issue. The crackling noise start after you disable the surround back speakers (7.1). Looks like this only happend when you try to use it as 5.1 only. If you leave them enabled works fine.
post #100 of 390 Old 05-24-2011, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Does this receiver allow you to set a different crossover point for each speaker?
post #101 of 390 Old 05-27-2011, 08:05 AM

HT RC-360...same as 609 minus thx and vga

I think I am noticing some slowing of the video and tv, not dropping of frames or stuttering, but almost like more motion blur with fast scenes or pans of the camera. I noticed it really on movies through my blu-ray player. I can't tell if I am just chasing ghosts after reading all these posts.

I have the monitor out set to "through" for my video. Does that turn off ALL video processing? I know I read somewhere on here it can be done, but I can't find it.

Can someone post a link to the directions how, or explain them for me please?

P.S.
I tried the "temp" reading thing that appears on the front display and it worked.
post #102 of 390 Old 05-27-2011, 03:46 PM

I am returning my second 609 to Amazon. The first did not recognize Dolby true hd or STD-hd and had issues with the audio with the hdmi pass through. Pass through would work for a while, and then lose audio. Reset via VCR/DVD- standy did work, but problem would reappear in a couple of days.

2nd try- lossless audio worked, but same issue with pass through and now experiencing the unable to update firmware as described above.

Any suggestions for a different make /model?
post #103 of 390 Old 05-27-2011, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

I finally was able to install the firmware update after I did the VCR/DVD reset. I haven't run through setup of the speakers yet, but it's at least now passing the PC signal through when the stereo is off. Will keep you guys posted whether or not that stays the case.
post #104 of 390 Old 05-28-2011, 04:17 AM

Quote:

I found the source of the issue. The crackling noise start after you disable the surround back speakers (7.1). Looks like this only happend when you try to use it as 5.1 only. If you leave them enabled works fine.

Hey Ocuk

Thanks for the good advice, will give it a go and let you know. I ended up getting my receiver replaced and when it continued to happen I resigned to living with it, blaming my set up. I'm just putting it through it's paces with the big fight scene from Iron Man 2 !!
post #105 of 390 Old 05-28-2011, 11:03 AM

HT RC-360...same as 609 minus thx and vga

I think I am noticing some slowing of the video and tv, not dropping of frames or stuttering, but almost like more motion blur with fast scenes or pans of the camera. I noticed it really on movies through my blu-ray player. I can't tell if I am just chasing ghosts after reading all these posts.

I have the monitor out set to "through" for my video. Does that turn off ALL video processing? I know I read somewhere on here it can be done, but I can't find it.

Can someone post a link to the directions how, or explain them for me please?
post #106 of 390 Old 05-28-2011, 02:15 PM

Here is a pic of my 360 in my stand (temp display while listening to music through NET was up to 57C then began to drop to 43...volume at 27).

[IMG][/IMG]

Here are the fans I am considering:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HTPC-Cable-box-C...item588b555d9a

Which do you think would work best:

1) Cut hole in the back of the cabinet where the receiver is located, mount 1 fan in the hole pulling air out, then have the other fan sitting on top of the receiver pulling hot air out of the receiver

2) Cut hole in the back of the cabinet where the receiver is located, Mount 1 fan on the back panel of the cabinet blowing forward over the top of the receiver, then have the other fan sitting on top of the receiver pulling hot air out of the receiver

Any other ideas?
post #107 of 390 Old 05-29-2011, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
guys,

Has anyone compared the onkyo AVRs across past to current generations ? Has the Onkyo sound with the 09 Series become much less "Bright & Lean" then the 08,07 and older series...?

Thanks

Thanks,

Rana

a few funny stories from my life ------->http://www.kirtirana.blogspot.com
post #108 of 390 Old 05-29-2011, 07:51 AM

I really need help. I dont know if i have a faulty unit or if i do something wrong.

I cant get auto-calibration to work. I always give me: "SP detect err!" I have 5.1 system and have no speakercables connected to the 7.1-part of the connections on the back. I know the polarity wiring is correct. I have double-checked my Supra speaker cables that are marked with +++. It start checking left fron, center, right front, right surr, right back surr (dont have this), left back surr (dont have this), left surr, subwoofer. I hear normal sound from every speaker including the subwoofer. After subwoofer i get "SP detect err!". What could possibly be wrong? Should i disable right/left back surr?? I dont even have these and there are no cables connected to the ports. If so, how do i disable them?

Another strange thing is that i always have to press "reciver" on the remote to make the middle-part of the remote to work (enter, setup, navigation-keys etc). Very very strange in my opinion. Remote id is correct, new batteries, zone2 i deactivated.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Just did a hardware reset of the reciver and it didnt help. Disconnected subwoofer and tried calibration without it. It always fails after the subwoofer. I have tried changing db-volume and crossover settings at the subwoofer itself. Still no go.
post #109 of 390 Old 05-29-2011, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by rico90 View Post

I really need help. I dont know if i have a faulty unit or if i do something wrong.

I cant get auto-calibration to work. I always give me: "SP detect err!" I have 5.1 system and have no speakercables connected to the 7.1-part of the connections on the back. I know the polarity wiring is correct. I have double-checked my Supra speaker cables that are marked with +++. It start checking left fron, center, right front, right surr, right back surr (dont have this), left back surr (dont have this), left surr, subwoofer. I hear normal sound from every speaker including the subwoofer. After subwoofer i get "SP detect err!". What could possibly be wrong? Should i disable right/left back surr?? I dont even have these and there are no cables connected to the ports. If so, how do i disable them?

I can't help with this part.

Quote:

Another strange thing is that i always have to press "reciver" on the remote to make the middle-part of the remote to work (enter, setup, navigation-keys etc). Very very strange in my opinion. Remote id is correct, new batteries, zone2 i deactivated.

This is normal. These keys have different IR codes depending on whether you are using them for a main receiver function or NET or USB . . .

"Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye." - 2001:ASO
post #110 of 390 Old 05-30-2011, 06:42 PM

Hi Guys...
I am a newbie need your guys help.

I got this NR609 last week. This was my first receiver so too much to know and learn.
I have this small problem.

I connected my samsung TV (ARC) HDMI to receiver HDMI MAIN OUT.
it works fine but when i try to connect the PS3 to Receiver, the connection between the tv and reciever is lost if i disconnect the ps3 it works fine again.

am i missing something here?
post #111 of 390 Old 05-30-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCasualty View Post

I can't help with this part.

This is normal. These keys have different IR codes depending on whether you are using them for a main receiver function or NET or USB . . .

Thanks for the help.
post #112 of 390 Old 05-30-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico90 View Post

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Just did a hardware reset of the reciver and it didnt help. Disconnected subwoofer and tried calibration without it. It always fails after the subwoofer. I have tried changing db-volume and crossover settings at the subwoofer itself. Still no go.

Swapped the unit to a new one. Calibration worked 3 out of 5 tries. I think the reciver is a little pickie about mic-placement but this unit actually managed to complete calibration. Wireless firmware update by using Onkyo wifi-dongel worked without problem on the first try.

Only problem now is that the sub sounds to dark. What setting do i need to change?
post #113 of 390 Old 06-01-2011, 08:37 PM

hi all , i currentlly have the txsr-803 and am thinking of picking up the TX-NR609 i dont use the multiroom function on this reciever , but just wondering what if any features i would loose by getting the 609 over my 803 , i paid alot of $ for this reciever about 3 yrs ago so just wondering if it would give me much more , aside from the network part appreciate any info as am going to hit the store tomorrow night.

thanks !
post #114 of 390 Old 06-03-2011, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alterity17 View Post

When watching TV, the sound will randomly cut out for about 1-2 seconds and then re-establish. The Audio description will disappear on the receiver itself and come back "i.e DTS, Stero, etc).

I am having a similar problem with a new 709 so I don't think it is your setup. It doesn't happen that often but is annoying. Did this ever get resolved for you? Did you contact Onkyo? Thanks.
post #115 of 390 Old 06-03-2011, 06:36 PM

I just set 609 today and tried to play the Green hornet. Get to chapter 2 right after he throws something out of the window and poof I start hearing loud popping out of all of my speakers at all volume levels. Star Trek does not do this anywhere that I am aware of, although I have not played the entire movie. It does this on both the 3d bluray and regular bluray for Green Hornet.

I have told it to go update the firmware and it has. this does not fix the problem though.

I hope someone has some feedback on this. Really disapointed so far :\\
post #116 of 390 Old 06-05-2011, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgelyiv View Post

Has anybody had any luck setting this up for their receiver? (I have the free version available from the Android Market)

I have become very frustrated because it seems as though I have the IP address and Port assignments and it should be working (or at least connecting). Had anybody had similar problems and can provide suggestions.

Aside - does anybody know if Onkyo is coming out with an "official" app for Android phones?
Thanks,
Ridgely

P. S. Note to Onkyo - if you haven't already, you should start developing an Android Compatible Remote.

I have this running on my Android tablet and it works fine, not as sophisticated as I had hoped but it works...

Al
post #117 of 390 Old 06-05-2011, 04:59 PM

i have a samsung led 6000 tv and the nr6000 reciever , when useing the arc (audio return) through hdmi , do you have to have samsungs anynet on ?

this is the only way i can get it to work if i have anynet on and the reciever option off , it works but when you hit the volume it turns on reciever option , i only want to get rid of the anynet banner/icon from the sammy's osd . it gets anoying at times.
post #118 of 390 Old 06-07-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme View Post

i have a samsung led 6000 tv and the nr6000 reciever , when useing the arc (audio return) through hdmi , do you have to have samsungs anynet on ?

this is the only way i can get it to work if i have anynet on and the reciever option off , it works but when you hit the volume it turns on reciever option , i only want to get rid of the anynet banner/icon from the sammy's osd . it gets anoying at times.

from my understanding if you have a samsung anynet+ should be on for ARC, did you disable the speaker for the tv, i have an lg and my setup on tv is simplik on, arc on, speakers off, and i have to hit tv/cd. not sure if this helps
post #119 of 390 Old 06-07-2011, 01:24 PM

hmm even with internal speaker disabled , the lil anynet volume icon still pops up

i have

anynet+ (hdmi-cec) ON
auto turn off OFF
reciever ON <- or off makes no difference

aruggg,
post #120 of 390 Old 06-12-2011, 10:17 PM

Hello

Brand new user here with a brand new 609, and I have (I am sure) a basic problem. I cannot get the network feature to work. I have a cable modem bringing the internet into the house to a Linksys WRT100 router. I have that router connected directly to the 609, but can't get anything on the Net option: I can't even update the Firmware. I look through the hardware setup, and DHCP is enabled, but the IP address is 169.254.xxx.xx. Onkyo tells me it is supposed to be 192.168.xxx.xxx, and my router page says it starts IP addresses in that range, but the Onkyo isn't receiving one anywhere close. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page