Onkyo TX NR609 THX Select 2 Networking HDMI V1.4 Owner's Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-31-2011, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliCool View Post
Also, you guys have Audyssey at On...? And why can't I make the DTS or DOLBY logo appear? I'm using PS3 with Audio set at Linear PCM.
I think that " Audio set at Linear PCM" would be the key to no DTS or Dolby as the are encoded bitstreams, Linear PCM does not be decoded as such.

Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2011, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post

I think that " Audio set at Linear PCM" would be the key to no DTS or Dolby as the are encoded bitstreams, Linear PCM does not be decoded as such.

Thanks!

I set my PS3 to Linear PCM and check the info using the Onkyo remote, it just displays PCM... But checking the info via the controller and it displays Dobby Digital or DTS.

Seems like just the red flag from the receiver's display is not appearing, but it is still playing the said format.

What are the general thoughts regarding 2EQ here? Tried thrice and had three very different results.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Not quite sure exactly where you are checking your results, you say "using the Onkyo remote, it just displays PCM" Do you mean the display on the Onkyo receiver?

Then you say "the info via the controller and it displays Dobby Digital or DTS", what controller and where is this displayed?

I guess the straight forward thing to remember:

1) If you have the AV receiver set to receive an encoded bit stream (DD or DTS) and that is what is coming in from the source then you will see the appropriate "red logo" on AV display.

2) If you have the AV receiver set to receive PCM and that is what is coming in from the source then you will not see any "red logo" on the AV display.

Also a point to remember is that program material could contain both encoded audio and PCM, you may have to make the selection you want to hear at the source...

Al
Old 09-01-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:

Not quite sure exactly where you are checking your results, you say "using the Onkyo remote, it just displays PCM" Do you mean the display on the Onkyo receiver?

Then you say "the info via the controller and it displays Dobby Digital or DTS", what controller and where is this displayed?

I guess the straight forward thing to remember:

1) If you have the AV receiver set to receive an encoded bit stream (DD or DTS) and that is what is coming in from the source then you will see the appropriate "red logo" on AV display.

2) If you have the AV receiver set to receive PCM and that is what is coming in from the source then you will not see any "red logo" on the AV display.

Also a point to remember is that program material could contain both encoded audio and PCM, you may have to make the selection you want to hear at the source...

Sorry, was a little vague... Hasty post.

To clarify, I'm using the PS3 as the Blu-Ray player. I've read a lot of sites and forum regarding this Bitsream vs. Linear PCM thing and all recommended Linear PCM... So I did just that.

Whenever a movie plays I don't get DTS or Dolby indicator on the receiver.
But getting the info via my PS3 controller: it shows I'm playing Dolby or DTS.

In Bitstream I have no problem getting the indicator to show up. But some say it's just normal DTS or DOLBY, not HD... So it's better to set it at Linear.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Ahhhh, yes, the non-compressed PCM is at the top of the food chain when it comes to audio, so I agree that is your best choice.

As for what you get when using bitstream (encoded) audio, that depends on what the movie comes with and what the PS3 can send out, as you say in some cases it is only 'regular' DTS or DD, but some newer releases do have DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 or Dolby TrueHD, not sure if the PS3 can pass these along to the AVR though.

Al
Old 09-01-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:

Ahhhh, yes, the non-compressed PCM is at the top of the food chain when it comes to audio, so I agree that is your best choice.

As for what you get when using bitstream (encoded) audio, that depends on what the movie comes with and what the PS3 can send out, as you say in some cases it is only 'regular' DTS or DD, but some newer releases do have DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 or Dolby TrueHD, not sure if the PS3 can pass these along to the AVR though.

Yup... Anyway, I would need the PS3 slim in order to really pass it...

From what I'm understanding, setting it as Bitstream is as identical as the lossless audio... Correct?

Also Sherwood, can you give me general tips regarding settings? Especially the 2EQ?
Old 09-01-2011, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yup... Anyway, I would need the PS3 slim in order to really pass it...

From what I'm understanding, setting it as Bitstream is as identical as the lossless audio... Correct?

No, Bitstream gives up some of the information for compression, lossless does not.

Quote:

Also Sherwood, can you give me general tips regarding settings? Especially the 2EQ?

Sorry no experience with 2EQ, but I have used MultEQ, using it is straight forward, just follow the process and all should be good.

Al
Old 09-02-2011, 02:00 PM

I just bought NR609 at local Frys (very good deal this long wknd). Before I open the box and go through long ordeal of setting it up, I am hoping you have some insight into my dilemma.

1. I have non-hdmi projector with regular video-in rca cable
2. I have Sony HD tv with HDMI

Would I be able to do video out to both TV, and projector at the same time? This is what I am currently doing with Sony receiver(old STRDE series) I was looking at the backpanel picture on amazon, I see a video-out monitor. I am unsure if this does what I wanted..

This may be very basic question, but I hate to force myself into buying HD projector because of this limitation

Thanks !
Old 09-03-2011, 04:06 AM

Hi all...

Having problems with the unit... First, I notice that there are excessive grain in the picture... But plugging the PS3 straight to the TV yielded positive results. (The results that I am used to getting)

I tried the Skip Video Processing thing... Still Na-da... Any additional tips? I notice that whenever I get a blank input (the blank blue screen) it already shows blue streaks across the screen... Not my problem before. I think this receiver is overprocessing stuff.

How do you restore to factory anyway? Thanks!!!
Old 09-03-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alterity17 View Post
So I am having an issue with this receiver, but it's very small and could be the setup.

When watching TV, the sound will randomly cut out for about 1-2 seconds and then re-establish. The Audio description will disappear on the receiver itself and come back "i.e DTS, Stero, etc).
It is also happening with my HTPC. It's not a huge deal since it will only happen about once a movie, but it's something I would like to get rid of completely.

Any suggestions would be great.

Other than this small issue, which I think is my fault, this receiver is very nice!

Thanks,
Hi all,
Just picked up a TX-NR609. Everything looks/works great except I'm running into the exact same problem that Alterity17 mentions above. My setup is pretty straight forward LG 55LW5600 connected via HDMI using ARC mode so TV audio goes thru my HT speakers. When watching TV audio cuts out and the source icons on the Onkyo display go away randomly (like it's doing an HDMI/source input switch) then it re-established 1-2 seconds later. For me it's happening far more frequently (approx every 10 mins). I've searched and searched and can't find any solution. I suspected some sort of HDMI handshake issue so have tried a new HDMI cable and different randoms things but no luck. Appreciate it if anyone has any suggestions??
thx
Old 09-04-2011, 05:55 PM

Anyone able to get an ipad connected to this receiver via usb ports in the front? Want to watch HBO to go.

I get audio fine no video. Get a press mode button on the receiver to switch to extended mode. I can't figure out which button is the mode this is looking for?
Old 09-05-2011, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorCentral View Post

Anyone with the 609 have any problems running all HDMI components to the 609 and 1 HDMI cable from the 609 to the tv, while using no optical or component audio cables

Handshake issues?
I'm thinking of purchasing, but reading this thread has me rethinking this with all the complaints.

Onkyo 503
LG BD390 BluRay
Panasonic 50px50U plasma
Polk RTi 12's
Polk FXi 3's

Hi guys. I just bought my nr609 and cannot for the love of God find a way for the bluray or WDlive media player to send a signal to the receiver. I have a Panasonic DMP-BD55 bluray, panasonic 50g25 plasma. I unplugged receiver and changed to another outlet on power strip. I switched around inputs(always re-assigning to that input), I tried with hdmi control off and on, hdmi through on and off, I tried turning off all component input assignments, etc. only leaving the 2 hdmi inputs assigned. I even went and bought new hdmi cables. nothing. it says, no signal. When I turn on the bluray player, the screen kinda flickers for a second, but then just turns blue.
I can see the receiver's OSD on the TV..so I don't understand. Both devices work connected directly to tv as well. I tried turning on components in different order as well...nothing. Please help! I don't know what else to do!

Oh, The hdmi ARC DID work with the TV. I did notice something curious that I don't understand. I pressed and HELD the 'Display' button on the receiver(not remote) and something came up that read Input: 0 Output:3. This was with both hdmi inputs connected. However, when I unplugged the 2 inputs, it changed to Input:0 Output:16. Anybody?
Old 09-06-2011, 12:46 PM

I'm about to buy the NR609, but I'm wondering exactly how well it works with standard stereo signals.

For example, if I'm watching my DirecTV and flip over to HBO, I'm sure it the receiver will process the 5.1 DD signal just fine. But if I were to switch over to a show (ex: Travel Channel) that only has a 2.0 stereo signal, will the receiver automatically go into a "faux" surround mode that puts audio in all the speakers, or will it just play audio in the front left and right speakers? I actually would prefer it to play audio from all the speakers without the need for me to press a button everytime I turn on a show with a stereo signal (like I have to on my Pioneer receiver).
Old 09-06-2011, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
It usually remembers your last setting
Old 09-10-2011, 12:25 AM

To all:

Remember to update your firmware. Patch notes looks promising such as better picture quality.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphnora View Post

did you get your problem fixed, I think I have the same issue.

I got my 609 from Amazon about 3 weeks ago. I'm seeing the same problem with the video (jittery, dropped frames). I still have time to return it - I like the Onkyo a lot and want to resolve this. I bought this "Like New" from Amazon and saved a whopping $32 (dumb). Makes me wonder if it was returned for this exact reason.

I just want to resolve this video issue. Any recommendations? Get a brand new 609, get a brand new 360 (don't care about the pc input nor THX).

For a while, the 360 was less than the 609 - now they're the same (both $399 on Amazon).

I might even go to the 370 or the 709. (prefer to keep it around $400).

Please help - I have to get the 609 shipped back by the middle of this week.

Thanks!.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleWriter View Post

Have had my 609 for about 10 days and loving it, but over the weekend something came to light that has me disturbed. I have a Windows Media PC connnected via Linksys DMA2200 extender and a Western Digital Live Hub. All are connected to the 609 via HDMI cables and all network connections are via cat6 cabling. The PC also has a 3tb NAS where I store BD movies converted to MKV files. Saturday night I was watching one of these movies stored locally on the Live Hub and I noticed a little bit of jitter in the picture. It is almost imperceptible, but on slow panning shots it is not quite smooth and appears to drop a frame or two ever so slightly at random. Thought it might have had something to do with the conversion, so I shrugged it off. Yesterday I was watching some recorded TV on the extender (CSI) and again noticed this same jitter. Again, I thought since it was recorded that it might have to do with the source material, so I disconnected the HDMI from the 609 and connected it directly from the extender to the TV. No more jitter.

Now I'm freaking out that the 609 is doing something to the HDMI signal that's causing this jitter. I can't live with this. Since it has happened on 2 different input sources I'm almost sure it has nothing to do with the source material. With the extender the source is stored on a PC and carried over the network, but with the Live Hub the source is stored directly on its 1tb hard drive. I have about a week left to return this unit to the store. Any ideas? Anyone else seeing anything like this? Could it be a setting I need to change?

Hey CycleWriter: I saw from some other post (couldn't find it again) that you turned off video processing in the 609 to resolve this problem. Was that a permanent fix?
I upgraded the 609's firmware and the video looks good so far, but what you said nailed it:
slow-moving pan or graphics (or something like that). That's exactly what I saw on my television.
I have to ship my unit by Thursday (to get the Amazon refund), so I've got a few days left to observer.
So far (since the upgrade), so good. I just want to know what to try in case it happens again.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just purchased the Onkyo 609 to replace my Yamaha RX-663,so far I'm happy with this unit good sound,network funtions and now I can watch my 3D Blurays with sorround sound, only one question what is the best dettings on video I have my cable box conected via HDMI and I wanna take advantage of the QDEO upconversion.

Ubaldo
Old 09-13-2011, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorCentral View Post

Anyone with the 609 have any problems running all HDMI components to the 609 and 1 HDMI cable from the 609 to the tv, while using no optical or component audio cables

Handshake issues?
I'm thinking of purchasing, but reading this thread has me rethinking this with all the complaints.

Onkyo 503
LG BD390 BluRay
Panasonic 50px50U plasma
Polk RTi 12's
Polk FXi 3's

I'm having the same problem. All HDMI into the Onkyo 609. If I turn on the amp BEFORE the Panasonic Plasma, the TV gives me the 10 red blinks from hell and won't turn on. If I turn on the amp AFTER the TV, all is good. I have unplugged everything, waited 30 minutes and continued but it's always the same. Does this sound like your issue, and did you ever resolve it?
Old 09-15-2011, 10:58 AM

I'm having the same problem as mcb1990. My TX-NR609 will not pick up a correct IP from DHCP. Trying to do static IP doesn't work either. It's connected via an ethernet cable (not wireless). Anyone figure this one out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1990 View Post
I cannot get the network feature to work. I have a cable modem bringing the internet into the house to a Linksys WRT100 router. I have that router connected directly to the 609, but can't get anything on the Net option: I can't even update the Firmware. I look through the hardware setup, and DHCP is enabled, but the IP address is 169.254.xxx.xx. Onkyo tells me it is supposed to be 192.168.xxx.xxx, and my router page says it starts IP addresses in that range, but the Onkyo isn't receiving one anywhere close. Any suggestions
Old 09-15-2011, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoesel View Post

I'm having the same problem as mcb1990. My TX-NR609 will not pick up a correct IP from DHCP. Trying to do static IP doesn't work either. It's connected via an ethernet cable (not wireless). Anyone figure this one out?

Based on my experience with the XXX7 series.

So you mention that you set a static IP address in the AVR? Did you check the local network status from the router to see if it appears in the table?

Do you ahve MAC filtering set on in the rounter? If you do did you enter the AVR's MAC address in the filter table?

Can you ping the AVR (with static IP address set) from a PC on the same subnet?

Forgive me but you haven't stated your level of experience with networks, if you know how to do all of this it would be helpful to pass this information along so it is underserstood by those trying to help.

Al
Old 09-15-2011, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

I would ask the same questions as al - also make sure your router has dhcp addresses to hand out - sometimes the routers get set to a max of 1 or 2 dhcp clients
Old 09-15-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
So you mention that you set a static IP address in the AVR?
Yep. But only after DHCP did not work. I prefer DHCP.

Quote:
Do you ahve MAC filtering set on in the rounter?
Nope.

Quote:
Can you ping the AVR (with static IP address set) from a PC on the same subnet?
Didn't try, but it's a good idea. I judged that the static IP was not working because network firmware update failed with network errors and none of the streaming apps worked either.

Quote:
Forgive me but you haven't stated your level of experience with networks
I'm a software engineer, so I have some experience with networking-- but I wouldn't call myself an expert. Honestly, I hadn't gone so far as looking at the tables or logs in my router-- but it seems that will have to be the next step.

The one thing I did not mention-- the network cable is about 50ft. But it is connected to a switch and 3 other devices work fine on that switch-- so I don't think it's that. And if I connect the cable directly to the Onkyo (not through the switch) it still fails.

Thanks for the replies. I'll let you know if the router logs show anything interesting.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I would recommend that you make sure that your network connection is secure before trying any firmware update, an further to that would not recommend doing it over the network but rather by using the USB method. I would never use a network connection for this, get the file down first then do the upgrade, better safe the bricked (sorry).

Nothing wrong with DHCP other then the fact if it has a static IP then a remote control application might have a better time of restoring a connection any time it is used. On the Onkyo AVR did you try setting the IP then choosing DHCP to reset the connection.

As for looking at tables and logs, most routers have a number of very useful screen to determine what is connected, on my Linksys there is a "DHCP Clients table" this will tell you if it has successfully connected to the external device.

The cable length is fine, evidenced by normal operation of the other devices, I have successfully run a connection over 450 feet, not recommending that but just for reference.

Lastly, how about reseting the router?

Al
Old 09-15-2011, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

couple of things - did you try unplugging the onkyo? Sometimes the network stack gets hosed. Another thing I thought of - do the network connectivity lights on the router light up when you plug the network in? just trying to think of things to test.. one more thing.. do you have network control turned on? not sure if that makes a difference..
Old 09-16-2011, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I couldn't do a firmware upgrade a few months ago either via network or via USB, and I had to do a factory reset first, then it went fine via USB. Don't quote me, but I think you have to press the DVD button and the power button at the same time and hold them? You'll have to go through setup again though, which isn't that big of a deal for me.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoesel View Post

The one thing I did not mention-- the network cable is about 50ft. But it is connected to a switch and 3 other devices work fine on that switch-- so I don't think it's that. And if I connect the cable directly to the Onkyo (not through the switch) it still fails.

Thanks for the replies. I'll let you know if the router logs show anything interesting.

I was having a similar problem until I read the manual on my switch. It seems that when you connect it to another switch via the uplink port, it disables port 5 on the switch because only 5 ports can be active. Moved to another port and everything was fine.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone noticed the Audyssey setup anomaly on the 609, where it actually uses the 2nd seating position as the center? I first setup using the manual and the 606 convention of doing the center listening position first, but the distance numbers were WAY off and the cross-overs were off too. After experimenting, I found going left to right or right to left with the center position being second, everything came out fine.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:55 AM

i searched, but havent gotten a conclusive answer... other than the onkyo uwf-1 usb wireless adapter, which other ones will work?? I went to frys and tried a keebox cheap one, and a belkin wireless N usb adapters, and neither worked... The receiver just said "no storage." any help would be appreciated... thanks in advance!
Old 09-17-2011, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawdftw View Post

i searched, but havent gotten a conclusive answer... other than the onkyo uwf-1 usb wireless adapter, which other ones will work?? I went to frys and tried a keebox cheap one, and a belkin wireless N usb adapters, and neither worked... The receiver just said "no storage." any help would be appreciated... thanks in advance!

You can get a Buffalo (what I got) or Linksys wireless bridge for about $70 which will connect to your in-house wireless and provide 4 ethernet ports for connecting devices. Works great and I have the 609, a Wii and a Panny BD player all connected to it.