Low cost up-converting receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 03-31-2011, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone recommend a good low cost video up-converting receiver that preferably isn't to big physically? I tried the Yamaha YMC-500, and it really did a great job, but its remote system and not having direct access to the inputs was a deal breaker. It has to compatible with the Harmony.

Thanks,
Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-31-2011, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Hello Scott... what is your budget? Or what do you concieder low cast?
post #3 of 14 Old 03-31-2011, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

If possible, under$250
post #4 of 14 Old 03-31-2011, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Heres a few to look at as from the reviews they seem to work very well for what you are looking at. I only have knowledge on the Onkyo line as I have the TX-NR808 as it does a fantastic job... but then again thats around $750 on sale so thats not an option. You may have to look around in the AVS forum to ask a few owers of the other lines to see what they may reccomend... but just going off reviees heres a few around that price point as a few may be a tad over $250 thou. Good luck!

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-52...588538&sr=1-14
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-82...589317&sr=1-28
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-92...588538&sr=1-21

Heres one that I would reccomend but it puts you just a tad over so that may not be an option ( just thought I would list it in case
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-RC260...589480&sr=1-26

If you shop around, you may be able to find even better deals!
post #5 of 14 Old 03-31-2011, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, the pioneer 520 is a great start!

Scott
post #6 of 14 Old 03-31-2011, 10:05 AM

Liked: 12
Make sure you know the difference between up-convert and video processing (scaling/deinterlacing). Im not trying to be a smart ashh at all, but I ran into the same issue. Thought upconvert was vid. processing...its not. I suggest you look into receivers w/Anchor Bay Technology (Denon's & some Pioneers and Yamaha I think), Faroudja (older Denons, & most Onkyo's), and Marvell (Pioneer Elites). Do your self a favor and research this stuff before you buy.

Your system is only as good as your weakest component.
post #7 of 14 Old 03-31-2011, 10:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 389
The pioneer 520 doesn't upconvert...

And what do you mean by isn't too big physically?

Afro GT
post #8 of 14 Old 03-31-2011, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

LOL.. your not being a smart "ashh" at all nova, I was just trying to find a receiver in his suggested price is all. See... doesnt hurt to ask around as I am not familier with the Pioneer line as it was just listed as "1080p video conversion and upscaling ensures the highest quality video from any source" on the site.

So as far as getting somewhat down to his "budget" would you reccomend the Onkyo RC260 then?
post #9 of 14 Old 03-31-2011, 10:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 108
If you are looking for a receiver with analog to digital (HDMI) conversion, I can understand that.

If all you want is digital domain dinterlacing, scaling, don't both worrying about it as this price point. IMO, for anything that will actually make much of a difference, I would be looking at stuff with features like noise reduction, and that's 1000$+ range.

I am going to assume you don't have a projector setup, and you are not going to notice minor differences in scaling.

I think the points I made in the AVR FAQ about video processing still hold true.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #10 of 14 Old 03-31-2011, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Gonna be hard pressed to find a decent upconverting reciever at those prices unless you get lucky on a closeout sale.,

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #11 of 14 Old 03-31-2011, 10:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 389
You need the Pioneer VSX-920 or higher if you want upconverting of analog sources to HDMI.

The VSX-520 has no conversion at all. Analog in must be output thru the same type of analog out. Its doesn't convert anything to HDMI.

Afro GT
post #12 of 14 Old 03-31-2011, 11:13 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

If you are looking for a receiver with analog to digital (HDMI) conversion, I can understand that.

If all you want is digital domain dinterlacing, scaling, don't both worrying about it as this price point. IMO, for anything that will actually make much of a difference, I would be looking at stuff with features like noise reduction, and that's 1000$+ range.

I am going to assume you don't have a projector setup, and you are not going to notice minor differences in scaling.

I think the points I made in the AVR FAQ about video processing still hold true.

I strongly disagree. You don't have to drop $1000 + for a noticeable difference. From personal experience. I went from an Onkyo SR605 (with dated Faroudja) to a Denon AVR591 with no vid processing @ all. And I noticed a noticeable difference in the picture. And thats with an old receiver with old tech. That's not theory, or guess that's my personal experience. It should be noted I don't have a brand new expensive plasma (older Pioneer plasma), but all my sources are HD and everything is connected via HDMI. Faroudja > No vid processing chip...from my experience. Not trying to argue or disrespect, like I said this is my personal experience. Yes I'd recommend the Onkyo, if you can afford it I'd go with the Denon 891 (you can find it online for $450ish shipped, I've seen it on amazon for that much, or the 791 which is $400ish shipped give or take). If thats not in your price range go for the $300 onkyo with Faroudja. I'd save up and spend a lil more and know that you wont regret your decision in the future. I went cheap with the 591 (well not cheap but uninformed I should say) and am now trying to sell it to upgrade to one with a video processing chip again.

Your system is only as good as your weakest component.
post #13 of 14 Old 03-31-2011, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input. I am wanting up-conversion so that I will only have to run one hdmi cable from the receiver to the tv. The tv requires you to cycle through the inputs to select one. It is always getting out of sequence with the Harmony, so I am going to let the receiver do the switching so the tv stays on the same input.

Scott
post #14 of 14 Old 03-31-2011, 01:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by nova0002 View Post

I strongly disagree. You don't have to drop $1000 + for a noticeable difference. From personal experience. I went from an Onkyo SR605 (with dated Faroudja) to a Denon AVR591 with no vid processing @ all. And I noticed a noticeable difference in the picture. And thats with an old receiver with old tech. That's not theory, or guess that's my personal experience. It should be noted I don't have a brand new expensive plasma (older Pioneer plasma), but all my sources are HD and everything is connected via HDMI. Faroudja > No vid processing chip...from my experience. Not trying to argue or disrespect, like I said this is my personal experience. Yes I'd recommend the Onkyo, if you can afford it I'd go with the Denon 891 (you can find it online for $450ish shipped, I've seen it on amazon for that much, or the 791 which is $400ish shipped give or take). If thats not in your price range go for the $300 onkyo with Faroudja. I'd save up and spend a lil more and know that you wont regret your decision in the future. I went cheap with the 591 (well not cheap but uninformed I should say) and am now trying to sell it to upgrade to one with a video processing chip again.

Even with the best receiver VP (at the time,) with my Z7, I noticed little to no difference with receiver VP.

However, some TVs may not worse scalers than my TV. But you would have to ensure that your TV was not re-scaling the input, as can happen (see overscan.)

As you say, it may depend. Like you say, I also, can only speak from my own experience.

I believe much of what I said does NOT apply to the OP, who apparently needs analog to digital conversion, not VP. I believe that does differ in quality. I know some people, had issues with conversion from their Wii for example (could have been user error, hard to say.)

"But this one goes up to 11"
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page