Receiver recommendations for 1K budget - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 04-03-2011, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am currently looking at the Anthem MRX-300. Currently I own a Yamaha RXV-661 and am not happy with it or with YPAO. 80% Movies 20% music but if the receiver was more musical I would listen to much more, one thing is most of my music is on HDD's and are VBR .mp3, .flac, or .wav.

Mostly listen to rock, and electro and watch action movies or play ps3 games and xbox360.

Current setup consists of the following:

Revel F12 fronts
NHT SB3 center
NHT Classic Three rears
HSU STF-2
PS3
Vizio VF551XVT
APC H15 power conditioner
latest DirecTV HD DVR

Room dimensions are 17.5 X 25 X 9.5 vaulted

** Other receivers I am looking at include Onkyo TX-NR609, Integra DTR-30.2, Marantz SR6005

ANTHEM4LIFE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-03-2011, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
For under 1K you can get the Integra DTR 40.2. It's the same receiver I just bought a month ago. Check out the blu-ray.com forums. There is an extensive discussion on the Integra line. It's one awesome receiver and has a very clean sound to it.

Jeff
post #3 of 12 Old 04-03-2011, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
When you say that your current Yamaha is not musical. What do you mean? Can you explain this more? Im interested in knowing what you think is missing in the sound, or if it produces sounds in a way that you don't like. Im also wondering about this because it's possible that it's not an issue with the AVR at all. It could be your calibration or your room acoustics causing this.
post #4 of 12 Old 04-03-2011, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pronghorn/az View Post

For under 1K you can get the Integra DTR 40.2. It's the same receiver I just bought a month ago. Check out the blu-ray.com forums. There is an extensive discussion on the Integra line. It's one awesome receiver and has a very clean sound to it.

Jeff

Thanks for the tip Jeff !
I am planning on making a trip tomorrow to check out the Anthem then going through Oklahoma City on the way home and going by Audio Dimensions and checking out the Integra line.

How is the musicality of the DTR-40.2 ? I really love rockin out but this yamaha I have now is kinda crud for music IMHO. I feel spending 1K might get me closer to what I am after which is a nice 3D soundstage.

Thanks again !

ANTHEM4LIFE
post #5 of 12 Old 04-03-2011, 04:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Not sure musical has any meaning, so I also don't know what the issue is.

Yamaha receivers seem fine to me. They measure well. The 661 may not have enough power for you, though.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #6 of 12 Old 04-03-2011, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHT4LIFE View Post

Thanks for the tip Jeff !
I am planning on making a trip tomorrow to check out the Anthem then going through Oklahoma City on the way home and going by Audio Dimensions and checking out the Integra line.

How is the musicality of the DTR-40.2 ? I really love rockin out but this yamaha I have now is kinda crud for music IMHO. I feel spending 1K might get me closer to what I am after which is a nice 3D soundstage.

Thanks again !

Im trying to help you out here because I also listen to heavy music. You might spend $1000 dollars on another receiver and not get anywhere if you first don't figure out what current issues might be present. You may be able to fix those issues and just keep your current Yamaha. So whats lacking? Can you explain?
post #7 of 12 Old 04-03-2011, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post

When you say that your current Yamaha is not musical. What do you mean? Can you explain this more? Im interested in knowing what you think is missing in the sound, or if it produces sounds in a way that you don't like. Im also wondering about this because it's possible that it's not an issue with the AVR at all. It could be your calibration or your room acoustics causing this.

Well here is the deal. I had an Onkyo receiver that I liked but the power kept tripping and I thought that it was the receiver so I replaced it with the yamaha and then ... yup u guessed it, that receiver tripped the fuse as well so I had an electrician come out and $2k later problem was gone. Then I set up the room calibration and it never sounded as good as the Onkyo did when it worked. Now I have recently moved to a much larger home with a bigger room, taller ceiling, etc. and 1 of my 6 kids has lost the mic I had in a coffee table drawer so I cant even set up the Ypao.

Either way, the Yamaha did not match the Yamaha in many areas including the expansiveness of the sound. For instance I was watching Stealth on BR and the Onkyo had sound coming from what seemed beyond the walls whereas the Yamaha was well within the boundaries of the room.

I really am after that 3D deep soundstage in the front and I realize I may have to upgrade my speakers in the near future or go with separates but I am trying to get the most for my hard earned dollars since I do have 6 kids.

ANTHEM4LIFE
post #8 of 12 Old 04-03-2011, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Hk avr7550hd is pretty good too and is on clearance.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-03-2011, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHT4LIFE View Post

Well here is the deal. I had an Onkyo receiver that I liked but the power kept tripping and I thought that it was the receiver so I replaced it with the yamaha and then ... yup u guessed it, that receiver tripped the fuse as well so I had an electrician come out and $2k later problem was gone. Then I set up the room calibration and it never sounded as good as the Onkyo did when it worked. Now I have recently moved to a much larger home with a bigger room, taller ceiling, etc. and 1 of my 6 kids has lost the mic I had in a coffee table drawer so I cant even set up the Ypao.

Either way, the Yamaha did not match the Yamaha in many areas including the expansiveness of the sound. For instance I was watching Stealth on BR and the Onkyo had sound coming from what seemed beyond the walls whereas the Yamaha was well within the boundaries of the room.

I really am after that 3D deep soundstage in the front and I realize I may have to upgrade my speakers in the near future or go with separates but I am trying to get the most for my hard earned dollars since I do have 6 kids.

I guess there could be sound differences between the Onkyo and the Yamaha. Possibly due to differences between Audyssey and YPAO. I wouldn't think it would be that drastic of a difference. Im just listening to what you are explaining to me.

Now that you have moved into another house with a larger room. This can complicate things further. Sound becomes even more difficult the larger the room is. Especially when you are trying for a very dynamic sound with hard hitting bass.

One thing you could do since you are missing your calibration microphone is contact Yamaha and get another microphone and see how the Yamaha sounds in your new location. It will be far cheaper to do that then getting a new receiver. I really don't think that just going out and purchasing a $1000 receiver is going to fix this. Some of these issues could be caused by how well your sub or subs are playing along with the rest of your system.

You could also try doing a manual calibration. Or you could run YPAO and tweak the sound. I have read that YPAO has some tweaking capability.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-03-2011, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post

I guess there could be sound differences between the Onkyo and the Yamaha. Possibly due to differences between Audyssey and YPAO. I wouldn't think it would be that drastic of a difference. Im just listening to what you are explaining to me.

Now that you have moved into another house with a larger room. This can complicate things further. Sound becomes even more difficult the larger the room is. Especially when you are trying for a very dynamic sound with hard hitting bass.

One thing you could do since you are missing your calibration microphone is contact Yamaha and get another microphone and see how the Yamaha sounds in your new location. It will be far cheaper to do that then getting a new receiver. I really don't think that just going out and purchasing a $1000 receiver is going to fix this. Some of these issues could be caused by how well your sub or subs are playing along with the rest of your system.

You could also try doing a manual calibration. Or you could run YPAO and tweak the sound. I have read that YPAO has some tweaking capability.

Believe me, it was a drastic difference. So much so that I really wanted to sell the Yamaha for pennies on the dollar but at that time my wife wouldn't let me sell it for next to nothing and get the Onkyo that I had in the first place.

I am quite sure that the level of performance I am wishing for just cannot be had for the money I have spent on my humble setup or intend to spend in the near future, at least not until I get some better front speakers and a better receiver or go the separates route that will even set me back more.

Basically the sound I am wanting during movies is one that makes you feel like some sounds are coming from outside the boundaries of the room. I have experienced this a few times in shops but never in my own home. Also, like you said it may just be the fact that the receiver isnt setup properly. Sad part is I really just got the upgrade but because my Yamaha doesnt do the DTS-MA or DTS-HD so I feel i am missing what others are getting in their setups.

Are DTS-MA and DTS-HD really game changers or just subtle differences?

ANTHEM4LIFE
post #11 of 12 Old 04-03-2011, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Onkyo TXNR 1008
post #12 of 12 Old 04-03-2011, 06:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 120
No offense, but I just don't believe the entire problem is your receiver. If it was short on power, I could see where it would not sound good when pushed. Solution to that would be a more powerful receiver perhaps. But I am not sure that's your issue.

If Audyssey was much better than YPAO, maybe that's a difference.

But not everyone has had your same experience with Onkyo vs Yamaha. I don't believe there's anything intrinsically wrong with Yamaha receivers, or your model in particular. But I am not sure I have any advice that would address your problem.

"But this one goes up to 11"
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page