How to wire up "smart" TV to AVR? (Samsung Smart Hub/Denon AVR 1910 in particular) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 04-03-2011, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I setup my new wicked smart Samsung D6500 TV yesterday with my existing Denon AVR 1910. One HDMI cable over to the TV lets me watch (and hear) my FIOS DVR and game console. The issues start when I try to use the Smart Hub, I am able to view and browse, but when I play any content I get no sound. I had assumed since the TV is now the media source (and target) that it was sending the audio signal via the HDMI cable back to the AVR, doesn't look like that's true. I do have an TOSLINK output on the TV, I've tried plugging that into my 1910 but no luck. The Smart Hub is essentially an overlay over the current video input, so I can have FIOS video and audio in the corner while browsing Smart Hub content, then when I select an app it's supposed to mute/kill the FIOS content and switch to the app. This works if the AVR is out of the mix.

So how am I supposed to do this? I suspect other smart TV's have similair setup challenge.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-03-2011, 04:59 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 1375
The 1910 is an HDMI 1.3 AVR so it doesn't have the Audio Return Channel (ARC) feature, sending the TV audio back to the AVR over the HDMI cable from the 1910's Monitor Out jack. Rather you'll need to use the optical connection from the TV to the 1910 if you want to connect your input devices to the TV instead of the 1910. The 1910 is likely not playing any audio from the TV due to a setting on your TV not set correctly to send audio to external speakers.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 18 Old 04-03-2011, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowphun View Post

I setup my new wicked smart Samsung D6500 TV yesterday with my existing Denon AVR 1910. One HDMI cable over to the TV lets me watch (and hear) my FIOS DVR and game console. The issues start when I try to use the Smart Hub, I am able to view and browse, but when I play any content I get no sound. I had assumed since the TV is now the media source (and target) that it was sending the audio signal via the HDMI cable back to the AVR, doesn't look like that's true. I do have an TOSLINK output on the TV, I've tried plugging that into my 1910 but no luck. The Smart Hub is essentially an overlay over the current video input, so I can have FIOS video and audio in the corner while browsing Smart Hub content, then when I select an app it's supposed to mute/kill the FIOS content and switch to the app. This works if the AVR is out of the mix.

So how am I supposed to do this? I suspect other smart TV's have similair setup challenge.

Thanks.

What jdsmoothie said but its also probably a setting on you avr. Audio and video are probably set to that hdmi source so your going to have to manually change the audio to optical.

Pioneer Kuro...your time is up...mwahahhahhha
post #4 of 18 Old 04-03-2011, 05:36 PM
585-645-1006

^^
The 1910's Optical 1 input defaults to TV (only input assigned to TV) and therefore should be plug-n-play without having to change any settings.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #5 of 18 Old 04-04-2011, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

I can't see how this is going to work with the AVR doing the switching.

If I run the HDMI cables directly to the TV (bypassing video switching on the AVR), everything works as expected: audio and video being displayed via HDMI from DVR, press the Hub button, DVR gets windowed (still hearing audio), when I run an app or video, DVR audio and video disappear. If I let the AVR handle this, how would the AVR know to stop the DVR audio? The DVR is still sending a signal, it has no idea the TV has switched to a different input.

I supposed having the TV do video switching is a workable solution, but this certainly isn't how I wanted to set things up.
post #6 of 18 Old 04-04-2011, 07:18 AM
585-645-1006

Having the TV do the video switching when cable/sat boxes are concerned is very common with many brands of AVRs as many cable/sat boxes are not HDCP compliant to work with HDMI repeaters (ie. AVRs).

post #7 of 18 Old 04-04-2011, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can't see how this is going to work with the AVR doing the switching.

If I run the HDMI cables directly to the TV (bypassing video switching on the AVR), everything works as expected: audio and video being displayed via HDMI from DVR, press the Hub button, DVR gets windowed (still hearing audio), when I run an app or video, DVR audio and video disappear. If I let the AVR handle this, how would the AVR know to stop the DVR audio? The DVR is still sending a signal, it has no idea the TV has switched to a different input.

I supposed having the TV do video switching is a workable solution, but this certainly isn't how I wanted to set things up.

It will know to stop the audio because you will have an hdmi out from your dvr to your tv and an optical or spdif out from dvr to avr. So the dvr will know to run audio out of the optical. Look thru settings to see if their Is a setting you need to switch. If it dosnt work automatically than you need to change the audio in you dvr to optical out on the same source you have for the.hdmi out to your tv.( I know you don't actually have the hdmi out to your tv from avr but that dosnt matter, just make sure it still on that source, push the "tv" button on your avr then setup the audio out to optical for that source.

post #8 of 18 Old 04-04-2011, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh, if you have all other video sources ran thru your avr to your tv and you have this ran directly to your tv you have to remember to switch inputs on your tv as well.

post #9 of 18 Old 04-04-2011, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Having the TV do the video switching when cable/sat boxes are concerned is very common with many brands of AVRs as many cable/sat boxes are not HDCP compliant to work with HDMI repeaters (ie. AVRs).

Fortunately that's not the case here, I've had no issues with that. And it really defeats the purpose of a AVR if you have to exclude some of your video sources.
post #10 of 18 Old 04-04-2011, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's usually only the case if you have more than one thing down line from the cbl/sat box besides the avr, then it will start having hdcp issues.

post #11 of 18 Old 04-04-2011, 07:19 PM
585-645-1006

Try telling that to the hundreds of posters who have this issue that's the case with just the AVR in the middle ...

post #12 of 18 Old 04-04-2011, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Try telling that to the hundreds of posters who have this issue that's the case with just the AVR in the middle ...

Is this one brand you are talking about? I think the majority of people with cableboxes, sat boxes and dvrs would agree most will work with an avr, at least. That was my point.

post #13 of 18 Old 04-05-2011, 03:59 AM
585-645-1006

You can read about HDMI handshake issues with cable/sat boxes in most any AVR owner's thread, regardless of mfr. I wasn't implying it was the majority of users, rather only that it's a very common issue which is brought up in these threads on a regular basis (granted generally only issues are brought up).

post #14 of 18 Old 07-18-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:

Thanks.

I'm having the exact same issue with my pn64d8000. I contacted samsung and they confirmed it's a 'bug' in the software. They couldn't give me an ETA as to when it would be fixed though. Seems like a pretty big mess up given that a large amount of people are probably using an AVR outputting to TV via HDMI w/ ARC to the HDMI ARC port on TV(AVR as the switch). Have you heard anything else on this issue?
post #15 of 18 Old 11-12-2011, 08:41 AM

I have pn59d8000 with latest firmware and I have the exact same issue.
Has anyone found out a work around?
I'm trying to play an avi file from USB thumb drive but I still hear the cable/dvr audio. This is driving me nuts

Thanks!
post #16 of 18 Old 11-24-2011, 07:46 AM

I added/setup a new source to my denon avr "TV" and then set Anyconnect+ on sammy and HDMI control on avr to "ON"

Observations:
1. When smart hub starts the avr switches from "SAT" to "TV" and audio from cable box stops from AVR.
2. When I play a video on TV, the I can now hear audio from AVR.

One con though, for few videos TV only passes stereo to AVR. But for rest of them I do get DD. Although, I have never seen DTS lit up on the AVR. So, I guess TV can't stream DTS?
post #17 of 18 Old 11-24-2011, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:

Thanks.

Make certain that the Samsung display has the latest firmware..
Samsung products do not have an official HDMI certification and quite frequently have compatibility (handshake, delay) issues with HDMI components of other brands..
If your other HDMI system components are also Samsung such as AVR & Blu-ray then the problems are minimized..

Just my $0.02..
post #18 of 18 Old 11-25-2011, 08:56 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by npcomplete View Post

I added/setup a new source to my denon avr "TV" and then set Anyconnect+ on sammy and HDMI control on avr to "ON"

Observations:
1. When smart hub starts the avr switches from "SAT" to "TV" and audio from cable box stops from AVR.
2. When I play a video on TV, the I can now hear audio from AVR.

One con though, for few videos TV only passes stereo to AVR. But for rest of them I do get DD. Although, I have never seen DTS lit up on the AVR. So, I guess TV can't stream DTS?

1. This occurs because Anynet+ and ARC on the Sammy are set to ON. Set them to OFF when not using the ARC feature.

Correct. DD only for vast majority of TVs on the market today.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page