Advice needed: Marantz SR-7000 center channel not working - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-04-2011, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Marantz SR-7000 (5.1ch) AV receiver, which recently started giving an issue with its center channel output not working. Giving a jolt (picking up the front of the receiver by a few centimeters and dropping it) actually makes it work for a few minutes! (found out by accident, but now is the only way to make it work unfortunately). I opened the receiver but did not find any loose board connections. But even touching any component on the amp board (the vertical board with the five channels marked as such) made the center channel work for a few minutes after which it goes off. All other channels incl. SW work great.

I assume the issue is in the amp board, so I need some advice on fixing it since repair places are charging anywhere 150+ for even a minor repair.

1. Where can I buy the spare part for this model. It seems that there is a newer Marantz SR-7000 with 7.1ch but not sure if its part will work on the older one.

2. Is it easy enough to replace the amp board i.e. does it require soldering?

3. What would be the cost of the amp board. Would it even be worth repairing or should I just consider buying a new AV receiver?

Thanks
Raj
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-08-2013, 06:17 AM

I have the exact problem with my SR-7000.
Were you able to fix the problem???
Thanks,
Bryan
post #3 of 4 Old 06-08-2013, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh.raheja View Post

I have a Marantz SR-7000 (5.1ch) AV receiver, which recently started giving an issue with its center channel output not working. Giving a jolt (picking up the front of the receiver by a few centimeters and dropping it) actually makes it work for a few minutes! (found out by accident, but now is the only way to make it work unfortunately). I opened the receiver but did not find any loose board connections. But even touching any component on the amp board (the vertical board with the five channels marked as such) made the center channel work for a few minutes after which it goes off. All other channels incl. SW work great.

I assume the issue is in the amp board, so I need some advice on fixing it since repair places are charging anywhere 150+ for even a minor repair.

1. Where can I buy the spare part for this model. It seems that there is a newer Marantz SR-7000 with 7.1ch but not sure if its part will work on the older one.

2. Is it easy enough to replace the amp board i.e. does it require soldering?

3. What would be the cost of the amp board. Would it even be worth repairing or should I just consider buying a new AV receiver?

Thanks

Raj

This sounds like a cracked circuit board, which is probably why you cannot see anything obviously wrong. As the amp heats up the board will distort and lose the connection (hence no center sound).

Based upon the receiver, it is probably not worth the repair cost. If you can find the area, which is probably near the amp for the center channel, you may be able to resolder the area. It may be worth the chance to try and repair it. If you can't, then you're just back to looking for a replacement.

Sometimes I have to remind myself that I bought all this "stuff" to enjoy it!
post #4 of 4 Old 06-09-2013, 06:51 AM

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try to find the crack before shopping for a new amp. This amp never gets moved and never gets too hot. Board cracks can just happen over time? I suspected a spider or dust bunny as the culprit; lord knows they caused plenty of damage outside the house.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page