Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 739 Old 10-27-2011, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewraven View Post

I just noticed that the hiss is still there.

It doesn't really bother me when watching a movie from any other position in the room. Except that when I am on the PC, I'm sitting very close to the left front speaker. It is reasonably obvious at this location. I am a little disappointed that my 500 dollar receiver has any hiss at all.

Did you try disabling Audyssey and Dynamic Volume?

One thing I just thought of, since I only get the hiss at volumes of 25+, and I don't like to use Dynamic Volume anyway, is to possibly increase the Intelli Volume setting for each input so I don't have to turn the volume as high to get the same amount of sound.

I'll need to try that out when I get home later.

Quote:
I tried to adjust that. But it isn't highlighted to where I can adjust it in the on screen menu.

If you don't have it set up with height channels in a 7.1 setup, I don't think you would have the option to adjust that setting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 739 Old 10-28-2011, 12:26 PM

I just picked up the 360 at Fry's yesterday for my Jamo S426 set (also from Fry's). I'm going to set it up soon, but I need to buy speaker wire. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend which speaker wire I should get. I plan to buy the 14 gauge. Has anyone bought speaker wire from ebay? I checked monoprice and 100ft 14 gauge costs twice as much as what I see on ebay. I am not sure if there is any difference in quality between the 14 gauge wire sold on ebay and monoprice. Any input is appreciated.
post #333 of 739 Old 10-29-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionate View Post

I just picked up the 360 at Fry's yesterday for my Jamo S426 set (also from Fry's). I'm going to set it up soon, but I need to buy speaker wire. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend which speaker wire I should get. I plan to buy the 14 gauge. Has anyone bought speaker wire from ebay? I checked monoprice and 100ft 14 gauge costs twice as much as what I see on ebay. I am not sure if there is any difference in quality between the 14 gauge wire sold on ebay and monoprice. Any input is appreciated.

I got 100' of 14g from Monoprice and it works great. Im not a fan of dealing with eBay. I wouldn't go any larger, personally. I got the banana plugs from monoprice, as well, and the 14 fit. If I had gone 12 or 10, I wouldn't have been able to get them in I think.

The banana plugs are totally worth the Monoprice..um, price. Work great, easy install.
post #334 of 739 Old 10-29-2011, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anybody know the code set # for this receiver?.I am trying to program a remote and in the Pronto data base there are several receivers.
Thanks
post #335 of 739 Old 10-29-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-JTL View Post

I got 100' of 14g from Monoprice and it works great. Im not a fan of dealing with eBay. I wouldn't go any larger, personally. I got the banana plugs from monoprice, as well, and the 14 fit. If I had gone 12 or 10, I wouldn't have been able to get them in I think.

The banana plugs are totally worth the Monoprice..um, price. Work great, easy install.

Thank you for the quick answer, E-JTL. I guess I'll buy it from monoprice to avoid worrying about quality. Since you mentioned banana plugs, how many of those did you buy for each speaker? I suppose that each speaker needs 2 plugs for each end, but I am not sure if it's redundant to have those plugs on the receiver's end.
post #336 of 739 Old 10-29-2011, 04:25 PM

Depending on your speakers, you can also bi-amp them, which the 360 supports.
My speakers support that and sound better with the separated bass.
I buy most parts from monoprice and have been very happy.
Occasionally, I get some things from PartsExpress.
post #337 of 739 Old 10-29-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionate View Post

Thank you for the quick answer, E-JTL. I guess I'll buy it from monoprice to avoid worrying about quality. Since you mentioned banana plugs, how many of those did you buy for each speaker? I suppose that each speaker needs 2 plugs for each end, but I am not sure if it's redundant to have those plugs on the receiver's end.

If anything, I'd get them for the amp side before I got them for the speaker side. Getting the wires in the amp terminals is a PITA. Just remember that the banana plugs will stick out and add about 3 inches to the back of your receiver. For like $2.50 a pair, I just got enough for the whole deal. 5 speakers = 10 individual wires = 20 ends = 20 banana plugs. Totally worth the convenience of just plugging them in.
post #338 of 739 Old 10-29-2011, 08:01 PM

I'm having a problem that I've seen others mention but haven't seen a solution to. I have the RC-360 and have been using it without issue for a few weeks now. I had an XBOX360 (HDMI), cable box (HDMI), and my old DVD player (component) all going to the RC-360 and output to my Epson 8350 projector. All has been good.

However, my kids wanted the Wii hooked up to the project so I took it up there and hooked it up in place of the old DVD player using the Wii's component cables. However, I'm not getting any video out - at least the project keeps saying there isn't any video on the HDMI coming from the RC-360. I updated the RC-360 to the latest FW and there was no change. Through various reboots/power cycles I once saw the Wii screen for a second but then nothing. I got frustrated with that, so I got out the old composite video cables for the Wii and tried that, and that didn't work right either. I was able to see video sorta (all snowy and washed out) but the projector kept trying to sync and the video was going in / out and eventually the projector gave up and said there wasn't a signal.

I know the RC-360 is supposed to upconvert the signals to HDMI, but is there any reason it couldn't output it properly? I keep looking through the menu and the manual and can't find a darn thing that looks right. Could it be the Wii not outputting signals as expected? I could imagine some problem with component video due to a Wii setting (although this Wii was working just fine directly connected to my old Kuros plasma) but not with composite. There can't really be a Wii output setting that would mess up plain old analog signals, could there?

Anyway, I figure if anybody got their Wii working - when it didn't to start - I'd love to hear what you had to change, no matter how simple or unusual. Thanks!
post #339 of 739 Old 11-02-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arex View Post

One thing I just thought of, since I only get the hiss at volumes of 25+, and I don't like to use Dynamic Volume anyway, is to possibly increase the Intelli Volume setting for each input so I don't have to turn the volume as high to get the same amount of sound.

I'll need to try that out when I get home later.

I tried this on my PS3 which is connected via HDMI and it did not work to eliminate the hiss. The hiss only gets louder as I increase the gain on the input. One thing I noticed is that the hiss is not constant, but seems to be somewhat variable.

When I first tried playing with the Intelli Volume while I had the Inception blu-ray menu looping, it seemed like increasing the gain 10dB did the trick. But after a while, the hiss appeared and increasing the Intelli Volume simply increased the hiss.

Sounds like I may have a bad unit.
post #340 of 739 Old 11-04-2011, 01:49 PM

Liked: 14
I am know a owner of this receiver, I only have two Sony tower speakers though.
post #341 of 739 Old 11-04-2011, 10:54 PM

Liked: 22
I am on the second month with this receiver, HT-RC370. See my previous posts for my new dedicated theater. Did the research for days before buying. Ordered from Amazon. Plugged everything in and perfecto right from the start. I have a good quality surge suppressor and quality wiring. The latest 10/04 firmware upgrade made no changes for me. When I see reports of hissing and other problems above, all I can say is that the problems are not with the receiver. I just bought it, plugged it in, did the Audissey setup and presto this thing is awesome. Blu Ray, Dish Network, Xbox 360, wireless music... fantastic! Quality product and fantastic sound production and reliability after 2 months!
post #342 of 739 Old 11-05-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterfram View Post

I am on the second month with this receiver, HT-RC370. See my previous posts for my new dedicated theater. Did the research for days before buying. Ordered from Amazon. Plugged everything in and perfecto right from the start. I have a good quality surge suppressor and quality wiring. The latest 10/04 firmware upgrade made no changes for me. When I see reports of hissing and other problems above, all I can say is that the problems are not with the receiver. I just bought it, plugged it in, did the Audissey setup and presto this thing is awesome. Blu Ray, Dish Network, Xbox 360, wireless music... fantastic! Quality product and fantastic sound production and reliability after 2 months!

+1

My RC370 is great!
post #343 of 739 Old 11-08-2011, 04:13 PM

I have two questions. I picked up a HT-RC360 from Frye's last weekend and I absolutely love the sound and video quality. It's fantastic. There are some issues, however =)

I have not been able to hook this puppy up to my network. I've purchased a wireless bridge and plugged the ethernet cable into the jack on the receiver - no connection, despite fiddling with the Network settings and restarting the receiver (and the bridge) multiple times. The wireless bridge works fine with my TV and laptop, however.

So, I picked up the UWF-1 wireless adapter. Plugged that into the USB slot on the front, pressed the USB button (like the instructions say) and just got a blue screen on the TV, saying USB for like ten seconds, then nothing. No setup screen, nothing. Last night I tried to update the receiver's firmware via USB - same thing. Blue screen, no flashing of the firmware.

Any thoughts? Did I get a brick or do I just suck (entirely possible)? Thanks, in advance.
post #344 of 739 Old 11-08-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdean001 View Post

I have two questions. I picked up a HT-RC360 from Frye's last weekend and I absolutely love the sound and video quality. It's fantastic. There are some issues, however =)

I have not been able to hook this puppy up to my network. I've purchased a wireless bridge and plugged the ethernet cable into the jack on the receiver - no connection, despite fiddling with the Network settings and restarting the receiver (and the bridge) multiple times. The wireless bridge works fine with my TV and laptop, however.

So, I picked up the UWF-1 wireless adapter. Plugged that into the USB slot on the front, pressed the USB button (like the instructions say) and just got a blue screen on the TV, saying USB for like ten seconds, then nothing. No setup screen, nothing. Last night I tried to update the receiver's firmware via USB - same thing. Blue screen, no flashing of the firmware.

Any thoughts? Did I get a brick or do I just suck (entirely possible)? Thanks, in advance.

I had a very similar issue with my 370 after I had alread set it up once. A hard reset fixed it.
post #345 of 739 Old 11-09-2011, 10:22 AM

Britbill,
You nailed it. Thanks for the suggestion - Resetting the receiver fixed the problem. Now, I've got an extra UWF-1. Awesome =) Lesson learned - when in doubt, reset the receiver.
post #346 of 739 Old 11-09-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdean001 View Post

Britbill,
You nailed it. Thanks for the suggestion - Resetting the receiver fixed the problem. Now, I've got an extra UWF-1. Awesome =) Lesson learned - when in doubt, reset the receiver.

Lol..glad it worked out for you. I wish I had known that before I spent 3 hours troubleshooting my router and the receiver and tearing my hair out!
post #347 of 739 Old 11-09-2011, 05:53 PM

Zone 2 questions?

no one has answered if you can output internet radio to Zone 2! anyone with a Zone 2 setup please followup......

thanks
post #348 of 739 Old 11-09-2011, 06:25 PM

If the only feature I care about is good sound for watching movies and upconverting dvd's to 1080, does anyone know of features the 370 has that makes it better than the denon 891?
post #349 of 739 Old 11-09-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswelter View Post

Zone 2 questions?

no one has answered if you can output internet radio to Zone 2! anyone with a Zone 2 setup please followup......

thanks

Yes you can but I've noticed when using the phone app to pick what you want to listen to you sometimes have to turn on zone 1 to have full control and get the readout in your phone. Although once you've got it set you can turn off zone 1 and you have complete control of zone 2.
post #350 of 739 Old 11-09-2011, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 151
I'm totally happy with mine and haven't experienced any problems with hizzzing, hdmi issues or lip sync. I do have a belkin surge protector and have it connected to a satellite hd receiver, PS3, HTPC. The only concern is when selecting picture mode- custom, horizontal lines flicker on and off so I don't use it. I just leave it on through or direct mode. I haven't downloaded any firmware yet either, are there any benefits doing so?

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #351 of 739 Old 11-09-2011, 09:38 PM
EJ
AVS Special Member

I ordered the 360 from newegg. They have an $80 promo code right on the product page that brings the total to $280 (free shipping, no tax). I believe the discount runs through 11/14.

Here's the link.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882120178

Former USSB uplink operator.
post #352 of 739 Old 11-10-2011, 08:56 AM

Is there a product comparison somewhere in this thread, or on this site between the RC260 and the RC360? I am just curious to see what the newer model gained over the older model.
post #353 of 739 Old 11-10-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzul View Post

Yes you can but I've noticed when using the phone app to pick what you want to listen to you sometimes have to turn on zone 1 to have full control and get the readout in your phone. Although once you've got it set you can turn off zone 1 and you have complete control of zone 2.

thanks for the info!!
post #354 of 739 Old 11-10-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

I'm totally happy with mine and haven't experienced any problems with hizzzing, hdmi issues or lip sync. I do have a belkin surge protector and have it connected to a satellite hd receiver, PS3, HTPC. The only concern is when selecting picture mode- custom, horizontal lines flicker on and off so I don't use it. I just leave it on through or direct mode. I haven't downloaded any firmware yet either, are there any benefits doing so?

do you have the 360 or 370?
post #355 of 739 Old 11-11-2011, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsh View Post

I'm having a problem that I've seen others mention but haven't seen a solution to. I have the RC-360 and have been using it without issue for a few weeks now. I had an XBOX360 (HDMI), cable box (HDMI), and my old DVD player (component) all going to the RC-360 and output to my Epson 8350 projector. All has been good.

However, my kids wanted the Wii hooked up to the project so I took it up there and hooked it up in place of the old DVD player using the Wii's component cables. However, I'm not getting any video out - at least the project keeps saying there isn't any video on the HDMI coming from the RC-360. I updated the RC-360 to the latest FW and there was no change. Through various reboots/power cycles I once saw the Wii screen for a second but then nothing. I got frustrated with that, so I got out the old composite video cables for the Wii and tried that, and that didn't work right either. I was able to see video sorta (all snowy and washed out) but the projector kept trying to sync and the video was going in / out and eventually the projector gave up and said there wasn't a signal.

I know the RC-360 is supposed to upconvert the signals to HDMI, but is there any reason it couldn't output it properly? I keep looking through the menu and the manual and can't find a darn thing that looks right. Could it be the Wii not outputting signals as expected? I could imagine some problem with component video due to a Wii setting (although this Wii was working just fine directly connected to my old Kuros plasma) but not with composite. There can't really be a Wii output setting that would mess up plain old analog signals, could there?

Anyway, I figure if anybody got their Wii working - when it didn't to start - I'd love to hear what you had to change, no matter how simple or unusual. Thanks!

the only things I can think of offhand is that another device is sharing the input and it is always putting out a signal even if "off" .... or the unit is bad.

Did you try to use component out of the onkyo to see if that works?
post #356 of 739 Old 11-11-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswelter View Post

Zone 2 questions?

thanks

Yes it does.
post #357 of 739 Old 11-11-2011, 10:50 AM

I have a 2 1/2 year old Onkyo TX-SR606 that has developed the HDMI problem where it has to warm up for 10 minutes before it passes signal from BlueRay to the TV. There are a couple massive threads on this problem here on AVSForum, and nice info on DIY Repairs. Painful that I have the problem on a device that is only a couple years old.

I'm torn between getting out the soldering iron and replacing the capacitors (potentially bricking the whole thing), and just getting a new AVR.

I sure like the features on the RC360, and my remote control will probably work without reprogramming. The prices at newegg are pretty sweet.

BUT, does anyone know if the RC360 is vulnerable to the HDMI problem that plagues the TX-SR606?

Thanks!
post #358 of 739 Old 11-11-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shah993 View Post

Yes it does.

thanks
post #359 of 739 Old 11-11-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayfordb View Post

BUT, does anyone know if the RC360 is vulnerable to the HDMI problem that plagues the TX-SR606?

Thanks!

I sure hope not, but I think we won't know the answer to that until these have been in service for a bit longer. Luckily these things come with 2 year warranties.

Do you know how soon after release the HDMI issues started appearing on the 606s?
post #360 of 739 Old 11-11-2011, 02:27 PM

No idea. There's probably some info on that in the 606 failure thread. I'll have a look.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page