Onkyo HT-RC360/370 - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 735 Old 11-11-2011, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Seems to be about a year. So the new machines are too new to show the problem. Seems that many many Onkyo's develop the problem and have the same kind of fix. I'll give it a shot this weekend, and if it fails, I'll go to Plan B with a RC360.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 735 Old 11-12-2011, 03:20 PM

So, the DIY Capacitor Replacement project was a success, and the TX-SR-606 works perfectly again. So no need to buy the RC-360. Yay! But I was kind of looking forward to getting the new one, with the extra HDMI ports and the network connection. Oh well!
post #363 of 735 Old 11-12-2011, 10:58 PM

Hello everyone. I just purchased the RC360 unit from newegg for the 280 dollar offer and splurged on the entire setup . I got the monitor 70's, a pair of 40's for the back and to finish the deal, the CS2 center. I didn't get a sub as this was for a bedroom and the wall rattling bass was not needed lol. Although I may end up moving out in a few months and will most likely add a sub and throw the entire system into my living room.

I read about this whole bi-amping thing and saw that the RC360 support turning the rear surround plugs of the 7 channels and redirects them to the front left and right. Since I'm only using the 5 channels, I assume that means I'd use the wasted rear channels to push even more power to my Monitor 70's? Easy to do? Noticeable sound quality difference even on the monitor 70's? I will have the extra cable left over to do it most likely.
post #364 of 735 Old 11-13-2011, 09:03 AM

I have the Onkyo HT-RC370 connected to an LG 47 inch 3D TV and Uverse provider. I have an audio problem that I have been working with Onkyo support on and they don't have an answer. Any channel that the Onkyo shows as PLIIx has bad audio dropouts, and they are very bad when there is voice and music together. Any channel that shows as Dolby D is perfectly fine. I am coming directly from the Uverse box into the Onkyo. I have tried HDMI and digital optical inputs. I have tried several different cables and inputs and many settings and nothing helps. Anyone with an idea?
post #365 of 735 Old 11-13-2011, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by rswelter View Post

do you have the 360 or 370?

Sorry I have the 360.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #366 of 735 Old 11-13-2011, 07:40 PM

think I am buying one tonight, the 360 that is..
post #367 of 735 Old 11-14-2011, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I bought a 370 to replace my paralyzed 1008 while it is being repaired.
It is connected to my PC via HDMI, and while I am glad it doesn't have the strange clicking noises of last year's model (say 608), but it occasionally outputs some hissing/static noises (very briefly like a couple seconds).
I am not sure whether this is caused by my PC or by the receiver.
Does anyone have similar issues when connected to a PC?
post #368 of 735 Old 11-15-2011, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayfordb View Post

So, the DIY Capacitor Replacement project was a success, and the TX-SR-606 works perfectly again. So no need to buy the RC-360. Yay! But I was kind of looking forward to getting the new one, with the extra HDMI ports and the network connection. Oh well!

Glad it worked out! The $250+ you saved yourself by not having to purchase a new receiver can go towards an automatic HDMI switch and the media streamer of your choice and you'll still have plenty left over to go towards another new gadget purchase.
post #369 of 735 Old 11-15-2011, 09:29 PM

Hey all,
I am new to the Onkyo world. Have been in audio for a long time now and am just getting used to the terms and setups that the Onkyo uses. I just picked up the RC-370 today for a great deal and have a question about the multi-channel inputs.
I am using an OPPO BDP-95 for the analog DACs and am using the 7.2 inputs on the Onkyo. How do I make sure that the Onkyo is "not" processing the signal and just doing a straight analog passthrough (I am using an external amp via the pre-outs).
Essentially for my BluRay watching the Onkyo should be only acting as a volume control, no internal amps are being used and the HDMI is connected straight to the television for video, I am just concerned about the audio as the OPPO has superior DACs. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Tyron
post #370 of 735 Old 11-15-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by underling View Post

Hey all,
I am new to the Onkyo world. Have been in audio for a long time now and am just getting used to the terms and setups that the Onkyo uses. I just picked up the RC-370 today for a great deal and have a question about the multi-channel inputs.
I am using an OPPO BDP-95 for the analog DACs and am using the 7.2 inputs on the Onkyo. How do I make sure that the Onkyo is "not" processing the signal and just doing a straight analog passthrough (I am using an external amp via the pre-outs).
Essentially for my BluRay watching the Onkyo should be only acting as a volume control, no internal amps are being used and the HDMI is connected straight to the television for video, I am just concerned about the audio as the OPPO has superior DACs. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Tyron

If your BD-player costs more than your AVR, I think that's a problem in itself.
Otherwise, try setting the Listening Mode to Direct seems to be your best bet.
post #371 of 735 Old 11-16-2011, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carageuw View Post

If your BD-player costs more than your AVR, I think that's a problem in itself.
Otherwise, try setting the Listening Mode to Direct seems to be your best bet.

At MSRP the 2 are nearly the same cost, and my question wasn't about my purchasing habits. The Onkyo is a temporary measure and considering I got it at half of MSRP is was a very cost effective way of getting by for a while...

Back to my question: in setting the mode to direct the active speakers (I believe, as shown on the front of the AVR when activated) are only the front left/right stereo pair, same going for the PURE audio mode. This is also the way that the direct function has operated in past receivers that I have owned. On my other receivers though the Multi in is usually called EXT in and bypasses the audio processing.
post #372 of 735 Old 11-17-2011, 01:36 AM

Liked: 14
A friend just purchased the 360. I helped him set it up. I'm having a problem connecting the UWF-1 to his wireless internet. It's asking for an 8 digit code yet I don't see the receiver displaying it. If someone could help out on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott
post #373 of 735 Old 11-17-2011, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawater View Post

A friend just purchased the 360. I helped him set it up. I'm having a problem connecting the UWF-1 to his wireless internet. It's asking for an 8 digit code yet I don't see the receiver displaying it. If someone could help out on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

it's been awhile since i first set mine up but i dont remember inputting any 8 digit code except for my wep/wpa key from my modem. Maybe thats the code it's looking for. after you plug in the dongle, press the usb button on the remote. that should bring up the connection status screen. select back from the screen. when you do that it should bring the wireless setup screen. Select manual setup and go from there.
post #374 of 735 Old 11-17-2011, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by underling View Post

At MSRP the 2 are nearly the same cost, and my question wasn't about my purchasing habits. The Onkyo is a temporary measure and considering I got it at half of MSRP is was a very cost effective way of getting by for a while...

Back to my question: in setting the mode to direct the active speakers (I believe, as shown on the front of the AVR when activated) are only the front left/right stereo pair, same going for the PURE audio mode. This is also the way that the direct function has operated in past receivers that I have owned. On my other receivers though the Multi in is usually called EXT in and bypasses the audio processing.

Just in case anyone else comes through looking for it, I did manage to find the setting for the 7.1 analog pass-through buried in the options in setup.
Source Setup --> Audio Selector --> Multich
This activates a Multichannel Direct mode on the receiver which should be passing through an unprocessed signal from the Multichannel Inputs.

Thanks,
Tyron
post #375 of 735 Old 11-19-2011, 02:19 PM

Hi everyone. I just picked up the 360 from Newegg and am busy setting it up and learning all the different functions it has. I am upgrading from an older Onkyo 6.1 receiver (5+yrs old). There is one question I have. Is it possible to play internet radio while watching tv or even playing PS3? Previously I used to run the satellite radio into the front rca jacks and switch the audio to that specific input.
post #376 of 735 Old 11-19-2011, 02:56 PM

I replaced a 5 year old Yamaha R2600 with a 370 this week because I'm getting a 3D TV and the 2600 won't pass 1080P or 3D. I have previous gen Onkyo in my other room and love them.

Anyway, due to poor planning my 5.1 speaker setup in the new room has 2 speakers in the "rear" - behind the listening area, not to the sides. Should I still treat these as "surround" speakers or is there a way to configure them as "rear surround" and then using some signal processing jiggery-pokery have it emulate the "surround" speakers virtually from them?

I was planning on doing the auto setup with the mic but really wasn't sure what the best way to tackle this scenario is. I've reserved the other two channels for zone 2 outdoor speakers.

As an aside, I've always been confused by all the audio options (my PS3, which I use for movies, has tons of them too). Do I need to bother with anything other than DD/DTS?
post #377 of 735 Old 11-19-2011, 03:21 PM

@jamur87
I've had the 360 since June and I'll be darned if I can figure out how to do it.
The 360 replaced my ancient TX806 onkyo and it had features that I sorely miss. Like the ability to route anything anywhere. Of course I paid 4 times as much for it as I did for the 360, 15 years ago. Plus it could tap the pre-amp outs.

I guess giving up all that routing is how Onkyo got the 360 down so cheap. But I do love the box. It does what it does beautifully. And I now have HDMI and DTS and Net radio

I moved my PC box over to the home theatre pile of black and gray boxes and plugged it in to the Onkyo via HDMI (yay! nVidia). So I, you, could go into receiver->source setup->audio selector for the PS3 and select analog and plug the pc sound card's out into the 360's analog in.

Set up Win 7 to use that sound output and then use media player or your browser to listen to the desired Net radio. 0r Spotify -free! on the PC 10/month on the Onkyo, switch to the PS3 and enjoy

Haven't actually tried the analog input yet to swap the sound for the cable box but it should work - if the PC souund card has coax out then use that

I use the pc->HDMI->Onkyo for ESPN3 out of area college football.
post #378 of 735 Old 11-19-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stele View Post

I replaced a 5 year old Yamaha R2600 with a 370 this week because I'm getting a 3D TV and the 2600 won't pass 1080P or 3D. I have previous gen Onkyo in my other room and love them.

Anyway, due to poor planning my 5.1 speaker setup in the new room has 2 speakers in the "rear" - behind the listening area, not to the sides. Should I still treat these as "surround" speakers or is there a way to configure them as "rear surround" and then using some signal processing jiggery-pokery have it emulate the "surround" speakers virtually from them?

I was planning on doing the auto setup with the mic but really wasn't sure what the best way to tackle this scenario is. I've reserved the other two channels for zone 2 outdoor speakers.

As an aside, I've always been confused by all the audio options (my PS3, which I use for movies, has tons of them too). Do I need to bother with anything other than DD/DTS?

I have the 360 and also have rear rather than side surround speakers. I set them to surround and ran the mic/Audessy setup. Works great.
post #379 of 735 Old 11-20-2011, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedBPhx View Post

I have the 360 and also have rear rather than side surround speakers. I set them to surround and ran the mic/Audessy setup. Works great.

Great - I was hoping it would be that easy.
post #380 of 735 Old 11-20-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedBPhx View Post

@jamur87
I've had the 360 since June and I'll be darned if I can figure out how to do it.
The 360 replaced my ancient TX806 onkyo and it had features that I sorely miss. Like the ability to route anything anywhere. Of course I paid 4 times as much for it as I did for the 360, 15 years ago. Plus it could tap the pre-amp outs.

I guess giving up all that routing is how Onkyo got the 360 down so cheap. But I do love the box. It does what it does beautifully. And I now have HDMI and DTS and Net radio

I moved my PC box over to the home theatre pile of black and gray boxes and plugged it in to the Onkyo via HDMI (yay! nVidia). So I, you, could go into receiver->source setup->audio selector for the PS3 and select analog and plug the pc sound card's out into the 360's analog in.

Set up Win 7 to use that sound output and then use media player or your browser to listen to the desired Net radio. 0r Spotify -free! on the PC 10/month on the Onkyo, switch to the PS3 and enjoy

Haven't actually tried the analog input yet to swap the sound for the cable box but it should work - if the PC souund card has coax out then use that

I use the pc->HDMI->Onkyo for ESPN3 out of area college football.

Thanks TedBPhxI will try that. Another solution if anyone is interested is to use Zone2. I have an extra set of speakers laying around so i plugged one into the Zone outputs and Voila. Of course the sound quality is lacking but it works until I can get piece together a HTPC. Now I can hear Redskins radio (now if we can only score some points and not turn the ball over)!!!!
post #381 of 735 Old 11-21-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamur87 View Post

Thanks TedBPhxI will try that. Another solution if anyone is interested is to use Zone2. I have an extra set of speakers laying around so i plugged one into the Zone outputs and Voila. Of course the sound quality is lacking but it works until I can get piece together a HTPC. Now I can hear Redskins radio (now if we can only score some points and not turn the ball over)!!!!

Hmm... Zone2..
I wonder if jumpering the pre-amp outs of Zone2 (the rca jacks) over to the analog in jacks of the PS3 would work.

In receiver->setup->1. In/out assign->4 Digital Audio setup set the Game input to ----. This should select the analog (pg 42 of the manual)
Then startup Zone 2 on NET

You may have to go into setup->4. Source->6 Audio selector and set it to Analog.

Let us know if you try it.

I "think" the output levels of the zone2 rca jacks are low enough that the analog in jacks should have no issues

Ted
post #382 of 735 Old 11-25-2011, 06:51 PM

Hello All! I ordered a 360 today to replace a three year old SR605. Mainly because the 605 doesn't seem to pass 3D correctly. Specifically, when connecting my PS3 to the 605 with the HDMI out going to a Mitsubishi 3DA-1 adapter, 3D mode is not recognized. However, when I hook the PS3 directly to the adapter, it recognizes the 3D signal just fine. Have I wasted my time and just not played with the PS3 settings enough or have I made a good choice? I also snagged up a 360 because it provides enough HDMI inputs for my PS3, Panny 310 BluRay 3D, XBOX360 and Dish Receiver. (One too many for the 605 to handle.) Has anyone tested the "Bitstream" output on PS3 to light up the TrueHD, etc. lights? I'm sure my Panny will support the correct output but sometimes I just want to drop a BluRay in my PS3!

post #383 of 735 Old 11-25-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevlshOne View Post

Has anyone tested the "Bitstream" output on PS3 to light up the TrueHD, etc. lights? I'm sure my Panny will support the correct output but sometimes I just want to drop a BluRay in my PS3!

I spent a lot of time online and tinkering with the settings of both the Onkyo and the PS3. As it turns out the PS3 decodes the audio track itself and passes it to the receiver as LPCM. In which case you will not see the True HD light up on your receiver, even though if you hit the display button on you're PS3 it will say TrueHD and if you look at the bitrate for the audio track it's every bit as much data as a trueHD stream would be from a standalone Blu Ray player.
if you ever do find a way to get the receiver to decode the signal please let me know. I would have to think it would do a much better job than the PS3!
post #384 of 735 Old 11-25-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzul View Post

if you ever do find a way to get the receiver to decode the signal please let me know. I would have to think it would do a much better job than the PS3!

I actually discovered the secret tonight! In your BluRay settings on the PS3 (must be a slim to avoid internal decoding), make sure all of your Dolby options are set to Bitstream. On the 605, go into the Source Listening mode for the input (has to be HDMI) for your PS3 and scroll all the way to the bottom. Set both the DTS-HD and TrueHD modes to match the name of the signal type. Mine lit up as soon as I started up Star Trek and I had a big on my face.

post #385 of 735 Old 11-25-2011, 09:53 PM

Guess I'm going to need to upgrade to a slim! I wonder how I can convince the wife it's worth it?
I wonder why Sony can't release a firmware update to get the older models to do bitstream...
post #386 of 735 Old 11-27-2011, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 137
That would be nice if they released a firmware to adress that but is it worth it to buy a slim ps3 so you can see the DTS-HD and Dolby True HD light up on the receiver? You still get the HD sound it just lights up as MultiChannel PCM. But I do get it, I would love to visibly see the DTS-HD light come on. You need permission from your wife to buy electronics Wazzul? Lol, I get it I'm married too, just wine her and dine her and buy it, don't ask her just do it!

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #387 of 735 Old 11-27-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzul View Post

Guess I'm going to need to upgrade to a slim! I wonder how I can convince the wife it's worth it?
I wonder why Sony can't release a firmware update to get the older models to do bitstream...

From everything I've read it requires an HDMI hardware upgrade, so a firmware update isn't gonna do it.
post #388 of 735 Old 11-27-2011, 07:26 PM
EJ
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPark View Post

From everything I've read it requires an HDMI hardware upgrade, so a firmware update isn't gonna do it.

You're right, it's a hardware limitation.

Former USSB uplink operator.
post #389 of 735 Old 11-28-2011, 12:00 PM

Take a trip with me back to 1984, if you will...

Just got the 360, everything is hooked up fine; waiting to get a better pre-amp before hooking up the old turntable. My question is--there is only one line out (TV/VCR OUT). [Zone 2 is a line out as well, but I am not sure about using that for this purpose.] I want to "tape" my records as I play them. Obviously, the recorder must be connected to TV/VCR OUT. What would be the best input to use as phono? Obviously, any of them would work, but I would like something that makes sense, remote-wise. I have nothing as yet in the RCA inputs. Using both OPTICAL in for CD player and TV sound; everything else in is from HDMI.

Any input (pun intended) would be appreciated.
post #390 of 735 Old 11-28-2011, 12:58 PM

I have my phono pre connected to the TV/CD analog ins. CDs are played from the Blue Ray player through its HDMI connection

I suppose you could use the vcr/dvr ins for the phono

From the manual, pp 18 and 39, it looks as if you should use the vcr/dvr out analog (RCA) jacks to record. No digital inputs can be recorded.

I just use a cheap $50 BBE pre-amp I got from guitar center a couple of years ago to convert my LPs to digital. Used a presonus da/ad box and a wave editor to clean it up.

I'm afraid to listen to a high dollar pre-amp as I may be no longer as happy with the one I have.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page