Onkyo HT-RC360/370 - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #451 of 739 Old 12-30-2011, 10:33 PM
EJ
AVS Special Member
 
EJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Minot, ND
Posts: 2,779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

TOFTT and post the results? If you're ordering something from monoprice anyways, why not?

I'll give it a try, but it will be a couple weeks until my theater is up and running. I'll report back.

Former USSB uplink operator.
EJ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #452 of 739 Old 01-01-2012, 08:02 AM
Senior Member
 
bretski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post

I know I'm probably crazy for asking, but I'm wondering if a genetic USB wireless LAN adapter, like the one in the link below, would work if placed in the 360's front USB port.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Won't work. You need to use an adapter with the same chipset as the Onkyo-branded one.

The chipset you need is the Atheros AR9271. Popular, and inexpensive choices are the TP-Link TL-WN721N and TL-WN722N.
bretski is offline  
post #453 of 739 Old 01-01-2012, 11:06 AM
Member
 
djbarry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have just received my Onkyo 709 and my TL-WN722N adapter. I can connect to the router, but never full connectivity, usually around 60%. I have yet to connect with any internet radio. I can connect via ethernet, and the adapter is working perfectly, giving me a perfect signal to my laptop right by the receiver, so it's not a question of positioning. The usb port is working perfectly otherwise. I'm getting pretty irritated. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

DJB
djbarry is offline  
post #454 of 739 Old 01-02-2012, 04:13 PM
Member
 
phantoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need some cabling advise. My TV doesn't have HDMI, only component, composite, and Svideo. My BluRay outouts component, Svideo, HDMI with RCA and coaxial audio. I use to have the Bluray hooked to the TV with the component and RCA audio.

How should I hook the Bluray through the RC360 for Audio? Component and RCA, Component and Coaxial. I don't think HDMI will down-convert to the component out, but can HDMI carry the audio while using the component for video? Am I giving up anything if I just stick with the RCA connection?
phantoms is offline  
post #455 of 739 Old 01-02-2012, 11:51 PM
Newbie
 
OmegaOuter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just recived my RC360 and I couldnt be happier, so far it works flawlessly and ill probably get a 12mm fan to keep fresh air comming to it...
OmegaOuter is offline  
post #456 of 739 Old 01-03-2012, 01:59 PM
Senior Member
 
carageuw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Miami
Posts: 386
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a RC-370 hooked up to my PC via HDMI (GTX 560 Ti), settings set to THX Cinema Audyssey DTS Neo:6, I used to be able to get everything upmixed to 5.1 regardless of the source (I even have Pandora One upmixing to 5.1), but I recently noticed that the upmixing ability disappeared.
I am not sure which to blame though, nVidia drivers (290.53 beta) or the recent firmware update (December 20th, 2011)
carageuw is offline  
post #457 of 739 Old 01-05-2012, 09:00 PM
Newbie
 
2root4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased my Onkyo 360 right before Christmas, and so far it has worked out great. My setup include multiple sources -- Verizon FIOS, Samsung Blu-Ray, XBox -- connected through the Onkyo to a Samsung PN64D7000.

I've seen numerous folks mention disabling the HDMI-CEC due to input switching issues, but I found that the Samsung and Onkyo can play nice together. The primary issue is that the Samsung will tell the Onkyo to switch to the TV/CD input. If you don't have your inputs properly assigned, this will cause frustration. For me, I want the TV to default to Verizon FIOS thus making the entire setup simple. So I assigned the HDMI input of my FIOS to the TV/CD setting. Don't fight the input...just switch your default input to TV/CD even if renamed.

Now, I can turn on the TV which turns on the Onkyo and then switches to TV/CD (FIOS) automatically. This means the wife/babysitter/whoever can turn on the tv with any remote or by hand, and the entire system will work with no Harmony remote. Turning the TV off will also turn the receiver off.

Keys to get this working properly is to:
1) HDMI-CEC enabled on the Onkyo
2) HDMI-CEC enabled on the Samsung (AnyNet)
3) AnyNet Receiver option set to "on" on the Samsung
4) AnyNet Auto-Off set to "on" on the Samsung

Next if you program the Onkyo remote with your inputs, switching to Blu-Ray or others inputs is as simple as selecting the Source and hitting Source Power. That's a simple enough process to justify ditching my previous Harmony setup.

One headache I did have with the Samsung Blu-Ray was getting anything to display. That problem was solved by disabling AnyNet on the Blu-Ray player. After that, all was good.

If you're looking to enhance your family room and keep it wife/family friendly and want to keep things simple, I recommend this setup.

I helped my father setup a Yamaha with its HDMI-CEC implementation. We found that the Samsung TV and Yamaha did not play well together for 2 reasons. 1) The Samsung TV would "lose" the AnyNet Receiver "on" setting after every power off. 2) The biggest problem was that the Samsung would turn the Yamaha to a Component/Composite input automatically. Unlike the Onkyo where inputs can be flexibly assigned to physical ports, the Yamaha has fixed inputs. Thus the TV forced you to use a non-HDMI source by default when using HDMI-CEC. As a result, we returned his Yamaha and purchased the Onkyo 360 for his Samsung TV as well. Everything is working well together.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the system. I do have a few small issues though:

1) Heat. I was worried about the blazing heat on top of my system. My system typically shows 42C during normal TV watching and the cabinet is enclosed but has 18" of headroom above the receiver. Nonetheless, I installed a cabinet cooling system from ebay with two 80mm fan and a progammable thermostat.

This has helped and I feel better about the Onkyo not cooking itself. I found it interesting that my father's Onkyo only ran at 34C during TV watching but in an enclosed cabinet with 1" of headroom. But he's using tiny Bose Accoustimass speakers and I'm pushing Canton Ergo tower and center speakers.

2) Zone 2. A small gripe since this system is a steal for $300, but the zone 2 not fully functional being that it only supports analog output (no HDMI audio signals). I found that it also supports any output from the Net input (Pandora, Rhapsody, etc). The Net output is my main use case, and I intend to output the sound to a wireless speaker in my kitchen.

In the end, I think I'll be going with Sonos for my wireless speaker in the kitchen, and I'll use a Sonos Connect with the Onkyo. As a result, I'll probably quit using the Onkyo apps and start using the Sonos iPhone app which looks much better. The Sonos playing both the Onkyo and the kitchen speakers should do a better job managing what is playing, volume, and keeping the audio in sync.

3) Net control via iPhone apps. While this does work with the Onkyo app, it's not all that great. A bit unresponsive at times, the directional pad doesn't work on some screens, some displays will say "See TV", and you often have to wait until the next song to see what is currently playing. I also purchased the oRemote app. It's better from a capability standpoint but the interface is clunky. At least the Onkyo app tried to be iPhone friendly and touch screen friendly. The oRemote has a boatload of buttons crammed onto the screen with a tiny display.

My fix for this control issue is simply to use Sonos instead. All my remote control needs are for playing Pandora and Rhapsody while in the kitchen. Sonos should work out much better here.

That's all I have for now. Hope this feedback might help someone else.
2root4u is offline  
post #458 of 739 Old 01-05-2012, 09:18 PM
Member
 
TedBPhx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well written informative post.
Thank you.
TedBPhx is offline  
post #459 of 739 Old 01-05-2012, 10:37 PM
Member
 
britbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2root4u View Post

I purchased my Onkyo 360 right before Christmas, and so far it has worked out great. My setup include multiple sources -- Verizon FIOS, Samsung Blu-Ray, XBox -- connected through the Onkyo to a Samsung PN64D7000.

I've seen numerous folks mention disabling the HDMI-CEC due to input switching issues, but I found that the Samsung and Onkyo can play nice together. The primary issue is that the Samsung will tell the Onkyo to switch to the TV/CD input. If you don't have your inputs properly assigned, this will cause frustration. For me, I want the TV to default to Verizon FIOS thus making the entire setup simple. So I assigned the HDMI input of my FIOS to the TV/CD setting. Don't fight the input...just switch your default input to TV/CD even if renamed.

Now, I can turn on the TV which turns on the Onkyo and then switches to TV/CD (FIOS) automatically. This means the wife/babysitter/whoever can turn on the tv with any remote or by hand, and the entire system will work with no Harmony remote. Turning the TV off will also turn the receiver off.

Keys to get this working properly is to:
1) HDMI-CEC enabled on the Onkyo
2) HDMI-CEC enabled on the Samsung (AnyNet)
3) AnyNet Receiver option set to "on" on the Samsung
4) AnyNet Auto-Off set to "on" on the Samsung

Next if you program the Onkyo remote with your inputs, switching to Blu-Ray or others inputs is as simple as selecting the Source and hitting Source Power. That's a simple enough process to justify ditching my previous Harmony setup.

One headache I did have with the Samsung Blu-Ray was getting anything to display. That problem was solved by disabling AnyNet on the Blu-Ray player. After that, all was good.

If you're looking to enhance your family room and keep it wife/family friendly and want to keep things simple, I recommend this setup.

I helped my father setup a Yamaha with its HDMI-CEC implementation. We found that the Samsung TV and Yamaha did not play well together for 2 reasons. 1) The Samsung TV would "lose" the AnyNet Receiver "on" setting after every power off. 2) The biggest problem was that the Samsung would turn the Yamaha to a Component/Composite input automatically. Unlike the Onkyo where inputs can be flexibly assigned to physical ports, the Yamaha has fixed inputs. Thus the TV forced you to use a non-HDMI source by default when using HDMI-CEC. As a result, we returned his Yamaha and purchased the Onkyo 360 for his Samsung TV as well. Everything is working well together.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the system. I do have a few small issues though:

1) Heat. I was worried about the blazing heat on top of my system. My system typically shows 42C during normal TV watching and the cabinet is enclosed but has 18" of headroom above the receiver. Nonetheless, I installed a cabinet cooling system from ebay with two 80mm fan and a progammable thermostat.

This has helped and I feel better about the Onkyo not cooking itself. I found it interesting that my father's Onkyo only ran at 34C during TV watching but in an enclosed cabinet with 1" of headroom. But he's using tiny Bose Accoustimass speakers and I'm pushing Canton Ergo tower and center speakers.

2) Zone 2. A small gripe since this system is a steal for $300, but the zone 2 not fully functional being that it only supports analog output (no HDMI audio signals). I found that it also supports any output from the Net input (Pandora, Rhapsody, etc). The Net output is my main use case, and I intend to output the sound to a wireless speaker in my kitchen.

In the end, I think I'll be going with Sonos for my wireless speaker in the kitchen, and I'll use a Sonos Connect with the Onkyo. As a result, I'll probably quit using the Onkyo apps and start using the Sonos iPhone app which looks much better. The Sonos playing both the Onkyo and the kitchen speakers should do a better job managing what is playing, volume, and keeping the audio in sync.

3) Net control via iPhone apps. While this does work with the Onkyo app, it's not all that great. A bit unresponsive at times, the directional pad doesn't work on some screens, some displays will say "See TV", and you often have to wait until the next song to see what is currently playing. I also purchased the oRemote app. It's better from a capability standpoint but the interface is clunky. At least the Onkyo app tried to be iPhone friendly and touch screen friendly. The oRemote has a boatload of buttons crammed onto the screen with a tiny display.

My fix for this control issue is simply to use Sonos instead. All my remote control needs are for playing Pandora and Rhapsody while in the kitchen. Sonos should work out much better here.

That's all I have for now. Hope this feedback might help someone else.

Are you also able to get ARC from Smarthub with your Fios set to TV/CD?
britbill is offline  
post #460 of 739 Old 01-06-2012, 06:25 AM
Newbie
 
2root4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by britbill View Post

Are you also able to get ARC from Smarthub with your Fios set to TV/CD?

I didn't try that unfortunately. My D7000 doesn't have ARC, so I used an optical cable and connected it to the Port input. I did have ARC working on my father's D8000, but that was with the Yamaha. By the time we swapped for the Onkyo, he decided he didn't need the Samsung apps due to the Onkyo apps and his Apple TV.
2root4u is offline  
post #461 of 739 Old 01-06-2012, 07:09 PM
Member
 
IndyStreetRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is the price at Fry's for the Onkyo HT-RC360 $288.00 a good price ?
IndyStreetRacer is offline  
post #462 of 739 Old 01-06-2012, 09:21 PM
V42
Member
 
V42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyStreetRacer View Post

Is the price at Fry's for the Onkyo HT-RC360 $288.00 a good price ?

Yes, just not as good as their past lowest price
V42 is offline  
post #463 of 739 Old 01-06-2012, 09:50 PM
Member
 
britbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2root4u View Post


I didn't try that unfortunately. My D7000 doesn't have ARC, so I used an optical cable and connected it to the Port input. I did have ARC working on my father's D8000, but that was with the Yamaha. By the time we swapped for the Onkyo, he decided he didn't need the Samsung apps due to the Onkyo apps and his Apple TV.

Ok thanks. I'll have to play around with it. I've got everything working with my D8000 and 370 but have so far been resigned to it switching to TV/CD by default. I had it not doing it for a while but I guess I'll need to try hooking the PVR to TV/CD now and see if I can get everything else to keep working.
britbill is offline  
post #464 of 739 Old 01-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Member
 
phantoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyStreetRacer View Post

Is the price at Fry's for the Onkyo HT-RC360 $288.00 a good price ?

PCRichard.com has it for about $10 more with free shipping, but no sales tax (GA has Frys but no PC Richard, you may be different) for me. Worked out to a little less than if I would have paid sales tax through Frys.
phantoms is offline  
post #465 of 739 Old 01-07-2012, 01:14 PM
Newbie
 
wps52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just picked up one on Amazon for $311 and free shipping.

WPS
wps52 is offline  
post #466 of 739 Old 01-07-2012, 03:29 PM
Member
 
xxrockmanxneoxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need some help who has the rc360 receiver. I just hooked it up with monoprice speakers and the volume seems quite low. I did the simple quick audio setup. To have a decent amount of sound it is at 40 volume. Please pm me if you have an idea maybe im setting the speakers up wrong. Its a 5.1 setup and i chose i have a subwoofer.
xxrockmanxneoxx is offline  
post #467 of 739 Old 01-08-2012, 10:40 PM
Newbie
 
Kimmyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I have a quick question to a small problem I'm having with my RC360 and PN51D8000. It's not a problem, more of an annoyance really. I have the two devices linked with Anynet+(HDMI-CEC) and when changing the voluming the Anynet+'s display and the receiver's display are not in sync with in each other. For example, the Anynet+ will display 23 while the receiver's display shows 19. Both devices are updated with the latest firmware and I am using a 1.4 HDMI cable to connect the two.

Is anyone also having this problem and is there a solution? Thanks!
Kimmyc is offline  
post #468 of 739 Old 01-09-2012, 07:20 PM
Member
 
phantoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxrockmanxneoxx View Post

I need some help who has the rc360 receiver. I just hooked it up with monoprice speakers and the volume seems quite low. I did the simple quick audio setup. To have a decent amount of sound it is at 40 volume. Please pm me if you have an idea maybe im setting the speakers up wrong. Its a 5.1 setup and i chose i have a subwoofer.

Mine is the same way, about 40 to have decent volume. From 45-up goes up pretty rapidly. I think it's the way this receiver is designed. Something to get use to the same as having max at 80 instead of 100.
phantoms is offline  
post #469 of 739 Old 01-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Member
 
trickydisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxrockmanxneoxx View Post

I need some help who has the rc360 receiver. I just hooked it up with monoprice speakers and the volume seems quite low. I did the simple quick audio setup. To have a decent amount of sound it is at 40 volume. Please pm me if you have an idea maybe im setting the speakers up wrong. Its a 5.1 setup and i chose i have a subwoofer.

Try running audyssey setup and assigning dynamic volume to light. It gives a full sound at lower volumes. With it on my setup sounds great around 24
trickydisco is offline  
post #470 of 739 Old 01-09-2012, 08:09 PM
Newbie
 
Wampa3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone, I am new to this site and have a question (or probably a few) regarding a home theater system I just purchaced. Instead of starting a new thread, I figured I'd start here. While I do not own this exact receiver, I am going to assume that my question should still generally apply.

I just purchased a basic Onkyo HT-S3400 (HTB) which has a HT-R390 receiver. I have set everything up, including my PS3, and was looking forward to finally being able to view my Blurays in HD sound. However, after getting all of the sound settings set up in PS3 and Onkyo receiver, I am not sure if the sound I am hearing is in fact Dolby TruHD or DTS-HD as the display just shows Multichannel PCM and the "Listening Mode" I have selected is "Direct". Since the receiver does not display that the signal is Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD, I am thinking that it is not outputting that kind of signal. If I go through the myriad of "Listening Mode" options, these Dolby or DTS signals do not show up as options. Could anybody here shed some light as to what I have set up incorrectly or need to do in order to get this to work?

The following are details regarding my current set up to help provide some clarity.

PS3
- PS3 is connected directly to receiver through HDMI
- Sound settings in PS3 have Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, Linear PCM, and all of the standard HDMI sound settings enabled
- The source material I have tested was the Star Wars Bluray which has DTS-HD 6.1 surround sound

Onkyo Receiver

In the Onkyo receiver setup, the following settings for the PS3 HDMI channel which I believe are pertinent are:
-Source Setup>Audio Selector>HDMI
-HDMI Setup>HDMI Ctrl>Off
-HDMI Setup>HDMI Through>Off
-HDMI Setup>Audio TV Out>Off
-Listening Mode - Direct (there are no other seemingly appropriate options to choose from)
-Display shows the content is MCH PCM

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if you think getting answers for this question would be easier in a new thread.

Thanks,
Stephen
Wampa3 is offline  
post #471 of 739 Old 01-09-2012, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JChin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mesquite Tx
Posts: 8,501
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampa3 View Post

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if you think getting answers for this question would be easier in a new thread.

Thanks,
Stephen

Hi Wampa3, do you have a fat or slim PS3?

If you have a fat PS3 (which can't Bitstream) set it to LPCM.
If you have the new slim PS3, it can be set to either LPCM or Bitstream.

In the PS3 XMB, set "BD/DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI)" to Bitstream which is found under Video Settings.
Also make sure to set "Audio Multi-Output" to Off which is found under Sound Settings.

And also note sometimes a Blu Ray disc will default to the standard DD/DTS track, so you might have to manually select the TrueHD/DTSHD-MA soundtrack. Normally this will be found under Audio or Language Setting.
JChin is offline  
post #472 of 739 Old 01-10-2012, 05:07 AM
Newbie
 
Wampa3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi Wampa3, do you have a fat or slim PS3?

If you have a fat PS3 (which can't Bitstream) set it to LPCM.
If you have the new slim PS3, it can be set to either LPCM or Bitstream.

In the PS3 XMB, set "BD/DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI)" to Bitstream which is found under Video Settings.
Also make sure to set "Audio Multi-Output" to Off which is found under Sound Settings.

And also note sometimes a Blu Ray disc will default to the standard DD/DTS track, so you might have to manually select the TrueHD/DTSHD-MA soundtrack. Normally this will be found under Audio or Language Setting.

Eureka Sir!!! I have a slim PS3 and I changed the BD Audio Output to "Bitstream". Worked like a charm.

Thank you so much, I've been racking my brain over all of these different settings and was starting to lose hope.

There is one more remaining issue that I would like to solve, but it is a bit more uncertain and I'm not sure I'll be able to find any answers in this thread. I throw it out there though in the event that anybody has any ideas.

The issue is similar to my previous one in that I believe I am not receiving 5.1 surround sound from my cable box. I spoke with a tech support person from my cable provider and he informed me that the box is capable of 5.1 surround, however, he suggested that I hook it up to my receiver using a digital optical cable. I currently have the cable box hooked up through HDMI and I feel like that should work. I tried using a digital optical cable and but I did not receive any dolby 5.1 surround listening mode options while listening to shows that apparently had that feature.

I wasn't sure if there was something obvious I was missing here, but its not that big of a deal to me if this doesn't get resolved.

Thanks again, you were a great help!

EDIT: Actually, I may have figured out this issue, but I'm not sure just yet. May just be a setting that I had to change in the cable box that I didn't realize I had control over.
Wampa3 is offline  
post #473 of 739 Old 01-10-2012, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JChin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mesquite Tx
Posts: 8,501
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampa3 View Post

The issue is similar to my previous one in that I believe I am not receiving 5.1 surround sound from my cable box. I spoke with a tech support person from my cable provider and he informed me that the box is capable of 5.1 surround, however, he suggested that I hook it up to my receiver using a digital optical cable. I currently have the cable box hooked up through HDMI and I feel like that should work. I tried using a digital optical cable and but I did not receive any dolby 5.1 surround listening mode options while listening to shows that apparently had that feature.

I wasn't sure if there was something obvious I was missing here, but its not that big of a deal to me if this doesn't get resolved.

Thanks again, you were a great help!

EDIT: Actually, I may have figured out this issue, but I'm not sure just yet. May just be a setting that I had to change in the cable box that I didn't realize I had control over.

Yep, there should be an audio menu in the cable box (sometimes to get into the menu, the box needs to be off/standby). Just note that HD channels broadcast in Dolby 5.1 and that some HD channels only broadcast in 2.0. Also note that even thought when a show indicates it's in Dolby 5.1, the local station may only broadcast in 2.0.
JChin is offline  
post #474 of 739 Old 01-10-2012, 09:00 AM
Member
 
wazzul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Oregon
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantoms View Post


Mine is the same way, about 40 to have decent volume. From 45-up goes up pretty rapidly. I think it's the way this receiver is designed. Something to get use to the same as having max at 80 instead of 100.

I noticed this on mine too hooked up to 7.1 using mirage speakers. A buddy and I went into the settings and turned up the output to about +7 to +10 for each speaker depending on placement. Then I have it connected to my home network and when on the computer you can access a Web based settings menu. Just go to my network places, the receiver should show up there. From this menu you can increase the max volume level.
Now it goes so loud I can't turn it up all the way without upsetting the neighbors, not to mention I get great sound around 20-30 which is where I normally listen.
wazzul is offline  
post #475 of 739 Old 01-11-2012, 01:31 AM
EJ
AVS Special Member
 
EJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Minot, ND
Posts: 2,779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I plan on using 2 front high speakers with my 2 extra channels. I notice DSX Audyssey and Dolby IIz seem to do the same thing.

Can they be used in concert? If not, is one considered superior?

Former USSB uplink operator.
EJ is offline  
post #476 of 739 Old 01-15-2012, 04:20 AM
EJ
AVS Special Member
 
EJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Minot, ND
Posts: 2,779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The only thing that really bums me out when I setup my new system this week is the lack of subwoofer calibration with Audyssey 2eq. Especially since I'll be using 2 HSU VTF2 MK3 subs. I realize I would need to upgrade to the Onkyo 370 to get the advanced Audyssey feature, but the $280 price tag was too good to pass up.

What is the recommendation? Do I set everything up as if I were using 2 subs? Set the mains as small, and try something like a 80Hz crossover point, then manually fine tune the subs later?

If anyone has better ideas, I'm all ears.
Thanks

Former USSB uplink operator.
EJ is offline  
post #477 of 739 Old 01-15-2012, 10:12 PM
Newbie
 
c57d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I'm slowly working my to upgrading my equipment to work with HDMI but I still have a working Pioneer SD 532-HD5 that only has component input/output.

I was thinking of adding a HDFury III to convert HDKI output from a Blu-ray player but for as much as they cost I can almost get another receiver so I started looking around.

Can I hook up a Blu-ray player to the HT-RC360 and then have that hooked up to my TV with component cables and be able to display 1080i (the max my TV will do) on the TV? Or am I out of luck as the TV is not HDCP compliant? Should I just stick with my old Onkyo receiver and get teh HDFury III instead? Or another option?

Thanks.
c57d is offline  
post #478 of 739 Old 01-15-2012, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
undecided's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,473
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzul View Post

I noticed this on mine too hooked up to 7.1 using mirage speakers. A buddy and I went into the settings and turned up the output to about +7 to +10 for each speaker depending on placement. Then I have it connected to my home network and when on the computer you can access a Web based settings menu. Just go to my network places, the receiver should show up there. From this menu you can increase the max volume level.
Now it goes so loud I can't turn it up all the way without upsetting the neighbors, not to mention I get great sound around 20-30 which is where I normally listen.

Not sure I understand - why do you care if you are listening at 25-30 or 40? Especially if you are changing the speaker level (so maybe losing any speaker level adjustment from the Audyssey set up).

I would run the Audyssey set up and then decide if you want Audyssey dynamic volume (I like it set at light - but understand some may prefer it off).

For normal TV viewing in our set up this means listening at 40+ - but it also sounds great at lower volumes.
undecided is offline  
post #479 of 739 Old 01-15-2012, 11:25 PM
Member
 
RS250 Chester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just purchased the HT-RC360 from Fry's 3 days ago, after my trusty Sony DA555ES went out. Currently running a Uverse and Samsung Bluray via HDMI. I also updated the firmware as of 1/13/12. Everything looked and sounded good.

I've had it running for 3 days now, but didn't get the speakers adjusted until today. During the pre-adjustment time, all seemed well and I didn't notice a sound problem I am having now. But that is not to say it wasn't occuring.

Basically I'm having a stutter, skip, drop problem on HD channels with 2.0 sound from Uverse. I know of the sound problems with Uverse, but from what I've read, this problem seems to happen on 5.1 audio channels. Mine is not happening on 5.1 channels, those sound nice and crisp. But on HD channels with 2.0 sound, I'm getting constant skip/stutter/drop. If I switch to the analog equivalent channel, the skip/stutter/drop goes away. I've tried changing listening modes, turned off Audyssey, but continue to have the same problem. I've also routed the audio via toslink cable, still the same problem.

Any ideas on what is happening. I didn't have this problem with my Sony receiver and uverse, but for some reason its happening with the new Onkyo.
RS250 Chester is offline  
post #480 of 739 Old 01-16-2012, 07:52 AM
Member
 
kodaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Hoover,Al.
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the same problem with Uverse and my Onkyo 370. I have heard that the problem is because of the Uverse receiver and that newer receivers might not cause it, but I haven't any proof. It's got to be a compatibility problem with Uverse and Onkyo, I would think, because I didn't have the problem with my previous Yamaha receiver. I contacted Onkyo support and worked with them for a time, but they had no fix. I don't watch much 2 channel stuff so it hasn't bothered me enough to get involved with Uverse yet. That's usually a waste of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS250 Chester View Post

Just purchased the HT-RC360 from Fry's 3 days ago, after my trusty Sony DA555ES went out. Currently running a Uverse and Samsung Bluray via HDMI. I also updated the firmware as of 1/13/12. Everything looked and sounded good.

I've had it running for 3 days now, but didn't get the speakers adjusted until today. During the pre-adjustment time, all seemed well and I didn't notice a sound problem I am having now. But that is not to say it wasn't occuring.

Basically I'm having a stutter, skip, drop problem on HD channels with 2.0 sound from Uverse. I know of the sound problems with Uverse, but from what I've read, this problem seems to happen on 5.1 audio channels. Mine is not happening on 5.1 channels, those sound nice and crisp. But on HD channels with 2.0 sound, I'm getting constant skip/stutter/drop. If I switch to the analog equivalent channel, the skip/stutter/drop goes away. I've tried changing listening modes, turned off Audyssey, but continue to have the same problem. I've also routed the audio via toslink cable, still the same problem.

Any ideas on what is happening. I didn't have this problem with my Sony receiver and uverse, but for some reason its happening with the new Onkyo.

kodaker is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off