Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 747 Old 05-17-2011, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by integroid View Post

I just purchased the 360 today at Fry's for $299. It is identical to the 609 minus the THX certification and the front USB port. I purchased the TXNR509 last week that I am going to be returning. I havent unboxed the 360 yet but I am sure it is better than the 509 I have currently but probably not as good as the 1008 I have as well. I will post up more later in the weekend once I get it unboxed. I think it is a steal at $299. The 509 really impressed me for the price and I am sure the 360 will be equally as impressive. I dont think you will find anything better at $299.

Great deal on the 360 @ Frys. I saw it too but I had some credits available on Amazon so I ended up getting for lower than that!

I'm in the same boat as you with regards to the THX cert. Not a big deal for me either as my ears can't tell the difference. I just got mine today and I'll be installing it in the next 2-3 weeks. It'll be replacing an ANCIENT Pioneer from that is over 12 yrs old!

Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 747 Old 05-17-2011, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Well, I figured out why I didn't get that "pop" I expected, for some reason my FL and FR speakers weren't giving any high frequencies, NONE.

I'm really blown away by that, but it seems they both have no sound coming from the tweeters.

I put my surrounds in the Front positions, and their tweeters work fine.

So I guess, somehow, both my front speakers fried their tweeters somehow when I switched receivers.

So apparently, on Thursday with my old Denon receiver hooked up, my front left and right speakers were fine. Then I hooked up my new Onkyo RC360 and suddenly the tweeters on my front speakers went out.

Talk about a coincidence!!!! Unless I'm doing something wrong I can't figure out.

My next step, tonight, is to take my old Denon out of the garage and hook it all back up, and see if my front speakers start working again..magically.

If they do, I don't know what to think.
post #33 of 747 Old 05-18-2011, 10:56 AM

I'll be trying to tweak the settings as repower suggested over the weekend and report back. One would think Audyssey setup with that much technology behind it would suffice to get it right!
post #34 of 747 Old 05-18-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_mir View Post

I'll be trying to tweak the settings as repower suggested over the weekend and report back. One would think Audyssey setup with that much technology behind it would suffice to get it right!

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. You can always re-run Audyssey setup to return to default Audyssey settings. Depending on what type of speakers you have, running full band for tower speakers seems to improve sound, but play with crossover settings as well.

Enjoy tweaking!

Cheers,
post #35 of 747 Old 05-18-2011, 07:00 PM

Just picked up the 360 from Fry's - all they had was an open box left, but it looks brand new. I'm hoping this one works out.
post #36 of 747 Old 05-20-2011, 11:18 AM

I just decided to update the to the latest firmware via USB. It took about 35 minutes but at the end keep getting error 5-53 & 5- 2! And now the setup menu does not show up on TV screen. I ran the update 3 times and ended up with the same error.
Anyone else had this issue?
post #37 of 747 Old 05-20-2011, 03:16 PM

I plugged in my nano into the usb port and don't get the "connected" indication. Blue screen on TV with no ability to go to set up or menu. When I disconnected the iPod and tried to go back to net radio, all I got was a blue sceen again on TV and "net" is blinking. Any words of advise?
post #38 of 747 Old 05-23-2011, 12:48 PM

I returned the unit since the firmware could not be updated and I could not reverse the situation either. I guess I'll be looking at Pioneer line at this point. Good luck to rest of you.
post #39 of 747 Old 05-23-2011, 12:57 PM

Questions to all.

I got this at Frys when onsale $299 + tax. It's still sitting in my garage since I can't decide if I should keep it.

My current setup is Pioneer 912K (5 yrs old) with Klipsch KSB 3.1, Klipsch SCC1, KSW 10 and a pair of ceiling speakers as surround. I have PS3, Asus Oplay and HTPC connected through it. I also used a HDMI 3 to 1 switch to connect this to my Panasonic 8100. The wiring is pretty complicated and I hated it and it's not wife friendly.

If I upgrade, I am planning to keep it at least for 5 years. Should I keep the Onkyo or get the Denon 891 for $60 more (no tax from 6Ave)? I don't care about the Onkyo networking features since I can get it through my media player or htpc or ps3.

All thoughts/comments are welcome.

Note: I hate myself for missing the egg deal some time ago - $1200 (yamaha 667 + Klipsch RF surround set)
post #40 of 747 Old 05-23-2011, 03:28 PM

I have bought a HT-RC360 last week. I have been testing everything since saturday night.

I noted some things wich I will list below:
1. I could NOT play files 192khz files
2. I could NOT play FLAC files from the network (checking it yet...)
3. Volume a little bit low
post #41 of 747 Old 05-24-2011, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateusfig View Post

I have bought a HT-RC360 last week. I have been testing everything since saturday night.

I noted some things wich I will list below:
1. I could NOT play files 192khz files
2. I could NOT play FLAC files from the network (checking it yet...)
3. Volume a little bit low

1. As specified on page 73 of the manual it only supports up to 96 Khz. It does support 24-bit FLAC though and I have successfully played 24-bit/96khz FLAC from USB.
2. I don't have it hooked to the network yet, so I can't say.
3. Volume knob? What are your level calibrations set to?
post #42 of 747 Old 05-24-2011, 12:15 AM

So I was reading page 73 of the HT-RC360 manual a bit more and noticed a little note. The Onkyo HT-RC360 and I presume others such as the TX-NR709 does not support FLAC or Ogg Vorbis for remote playback which I presume means over the network, err...or maybe not. There's apparently server playback and remote playback as far as the Onkyo is concerned on page 72. I'm not going to bother figuring it out right now.
post #43 of 747 Old 05-24-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormUP View Post

So I was reading page 73 of the HT-RC360 manual a bit more and noticed a little note. The Onkyo HT-RC360 and I presume others such as the TX-NR709 does not support FLAC or Ogg Vorbis for remote playback which I presume means over the network, err...or maybe not. There's apparently server playback and remote playback as far as the Onkyo is concerned on page 72. I'm not going to bother figuring it out right now.

It does support playback FLAC through network! I tested this yestarday. I didn't test OGG because I don't use this format.
post #44 of 747 Old 05-24-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormUP View Post

1. As specified on page 73 of the manual it only supports up to 96 Khz. It does support 24-bit FLAC though and I have successfully played 24-bit/96khz FLAC from USB.
2. I don't have it hooked to the network yet, so I can't say.
3. Volume knob? What are your level calibrations set to?

Sorry, I didn't note this on the manual. But yes, I tested and it supports FLAC, WAV 24-bit/96khz from the network or USB

3. I only set treble to +6 and bass to +6 (because I'm using only 2 cheap front speakers and no subwoofer at the moment). And +4db for each front channel. I don't use audssey automatic calibration settings. I like almost pure sound possible.
post #45 of 747 Old 05-25-2011, 06:41 PM

Just got everything hooked up. I like everything but the temps! man this thing gets hot! I have it in a cabinet with 3 inches above, 6 inches in back, and a couple on the sides. The back of the cabinet is closed. I noticed a stick on the top that say the unit get hot and that it is normal. The fan runs on my unit, I would have never known unless I looked for it, the fan is pretty quiet. I'm trying to find an audio tower that isn't a billion dollars that I can live with.
post #46 of 747 Old 05-25-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcmkx2000 View Post

Just got everything hooked up. I like everything but the temps! man this thing gets hot! I have it in a cabinet with 3 inches above, 6 inches in back, and a couple on the sides. The back of the cabinet is closed. I noticed a stick on the top that say the unit get hot and that it is normal. The fan runs on my unit, I would have never known unless I looked for it, the fan is pretty quiet. I'm trying to find an audio tower that isn't a billion dollars that I can live with.

Yes, It gets very hot, mainly when playing video. The fan is quite quiet. But this high temperature is common on Onkyo receivers. My S5200 got very hot also (although not that too much).
post #47 of 747 Old 05-26-2011, 10:14 AM

Hopefully I'm in the right place to post this. I just bought a new system including this HT-RC360 and have a couple of questions. I've only tried this set up for the first time last night.

1. I plugged in the unit and played music thru direct tv for maybe 15-20 mins. and this unit was so hot it would burn my hand if I touch the unit. I did touch it and wow.... I had it out in the open as I don't have my rack yet.

2. I have to put the volume at 40-50 just to get music to play low. I have not set up anything on this, but out of the box it seems pretty low. Maybe after changing the settings and running audyssey this will change.

3. Lip sync issues. I was watching news, they would talk and there lips were moving, but the sound was a few milliseconds off. I turned everything off then back on and it solved the issue, but don't know why? This happened 2X

4. Here is my main issue. I'm assuming it's this Rec. but I'm not sure. While watching t.v. NCIS last night the screen I'll call it jitters or stutters for maybe a second. This is very annoying. My wife didn't notice it, but urgh aweful. I just bought a new LG LW 5600 and this this Rec. I googled issues with this rec., but nothing came up. I googled issues with Onkyo rec. and people have complained about this on the Onkyo 608 and other rec. They say the fix is to turn off the video processing or GUI overlay. What???? Why would I do that? I think that's not a fix that would be a defect. Anyone having this issue?

I was going to watch a DVD or another show tonight and see if it does it again, then plug the tv directly to my direct tv box and see if it does it or not.

Thanks for any input..... Oh and I'm not an audiophile by any means......
post #48 of 747 Old 05-26-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunnoAV View Post

Hopefully I'm in the right place to post this. I just bought a new system including this HT-RC360 and have a couple of questions. I've only tried this set up for the first time last night.

1. I plugged in the unit and played music thru direct tv for maybe 15-20 mins. and this unit was so hot it would burn my hand if I touch it the unit. I did touch it and wow.... I had it out in the open as I don't have my rack yet.

2. I have to put the volume at 40-50 just to get music to play low. I have not set up anything on this, but out of the box it seems pretty low. Maybe after changing the settings and running audyssey this will change.

3. Lip sync issues. I was watching news, they would talk and there lips were moving, but the sound was a few milliseconds off. I turned everything off then back on and it solved the issue, but don't know why? This happened 2X

4. Here is my main issue. I'm assuming it's this Rec. but I'm not sure. While watching t.v. NCIS last night the screen I'll call it jitters or stutters for maybe a second. This is very annoying. My wife didn't notice it, but urgh aweful. I just bought a new LG LW 5600 and this this Rec. I googled issues with this rec., but nothing came up. I googled issues with Onkyo rec. and people have complained about this on the Onkyo 608 and other rec. They say the fix is to turn off the video processing or GUI overlay. What???? Why would I do that? I think that's not a fix that would be a defect. Anyone having this issue?

I was going to watch a DVD or another show tonight and see if it does it again, then plug the tv directly to my direct tv box and see if it does it or not.

1. Yes, It gets VERY hot and it have a big fan in the front right top.

2. Yes. I watched this issue also. I use almost no modification to the sound except adjusts in treble/bass settings. No EQ.

3. I didn't note this yet.

4. I watched this issue aslo. But i think this is not so uncommon thing. I agree you said against the solutions you found googling.
post #49 of 747 Old 05-26-2011, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

They say the fix is to turn off the video processing or GUI overlay.

I was hoping the qdeo processor would have fixed this issue. The more I watch the prices fall, the more I am seeing bad reviews.
Looks like I am steering clear of Onkyo.
post #50 of 747 Old 05-26-2011, 11:43 AM

We'll I'm glad it's not just me. The lip sync wasn't a big issue, happened and like I said I turned everything off then back on and everything was fine. But the picture jitter/stutter is unacceptable to me. I'd rather return this unit and get a Denon or something else if this is Onkyo's issue.....
post #51 of 747 Old 05-26-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:

It appears the unit gets hot (enough to turn the fan on) when placed in an enclosed cabinet. I now have the 360 on an open stand and the temp is now negligible.
post #52 of 747 Old 05-26-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:

1. I plugged in the unit and played music thru direct tv for maybe 15-20 mins. and this unit was so hot it would burn my hand if I touch the unit. I did touch it and wow.... I had it out in the open as I don't have my rack yet.

1. I had it both enclosed and open, noticed hot temps inside the cab, but non-issue in the open stand environment.

2. Same behavior at first, tweaked the speaker level settings and I get the same 40-50 sound output at the 20-25 mark.

3. Have not noticed the issue. I'm at least at 75 hr usage.

4. Have noticed only at night during peak hours. My cable service may have something to do with this. It's perfectly fine in the daytime hours.

I have all equipment behind an APC power filter.
post #53 of 747 Old 05-26-2011, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Has anyone ever seen #4 problem with jittering/stuttering while watching dvd/br or streaming netflix? I want to hate this receiver but there really isn't anything else with all the features in it's price range.
post #54 of 747 Old 05-26-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent8 View Post
Has anyone ever seen #4 problem with jittering/stuttering while watching dvd/br or streaming netflix? I want to hate this receiver but there really isn't anything else with all the features in it's price range.
I agree. And it makes a good job with great sound quality despite these problemas. Not that bad but surely many problems.
post #55 of 747 Old 05-26-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
We'll I'm glad it's not just me. The lip sync wasn't a big issue, happened and like I said I turned everything off then back on and everything was fine. But the picture jitter/stutter is unacceptable to me. I'd rather return this unit and get a Denon or something else if this is Onkyo's issue.....
Denon? do you make sure? I'm think about same. But, anyway, I like Onkyo.
post #56 of 747 Old 05-26-2011, 02:05 PM

Hey All,

A very happy owner of the 370 here. A couple of minor issues which are now resolved.

1) White lines/noise when cinema or edge enhancement turned on - Resolved by upgrading firmware.

2) Not enough room at the top of unit for proper ventilation in my open stand - Resolved by removing the feet off the receiver.

I went demod so many recivers last year and in the end decided to wait. The 370 had all the specs I was looking for. So far the wait has paid off. No complaints here with Audio/Video/GUI etc. It's an awesome receiver. My only negative about it is that the remote doesn't have codes for PS2/3. HK remotes do so if you have a IR2BT converter you can also use the receiver remote. Anyway, I'm just nitpicking..it's not really a negative as I use a Harmony but that's the only thing I could think of.
post #57 of 747 Old 05-26-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateusfig View Post

Denon? do you make sure? I'm think about same. But, anyway, I like Onkyo.

Make sure what that they don't have the same issues? From my understanding they don't..... I'll check out the Denon threads and get back to you on this.
post #58 of 747 Old 05-26-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent8 View Post

I will play a dvd and check.
post #59 of 747 Old 05-27-2011, 05:17 AM

HT RC-360

I think I am noticing some slowing of the video and tv, not dropping of frames or stuttering, but almost like more motion blur with fast scenes or pans of the camera. I noticed it really on movies through my blu-ray player. I can't tell if I am just chasing ghosts after reading all these posts.

I have the monitor out set to "through" for my video. Does that turn off ALL video processing? I know I read somewhere on here it can be done, but I can't find it.

Can someone post a link to the directions how, or explain them for me please?

P.S.
I tried the "temp" reading thing that appears on the front display and it worked.
post #60 of 747 Old 05-27-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:

HT RC-360

I think I am noticing some slowing of the video and tv, not dropping of frames or stuttering, but almost like more motion blur with fast scenes or pans of the camera. I noticed it really on movies through my blu-ray player. I can't tell if I am just chasing ghosts after reading all these posts.

I have the monitor out set to "through" for my video. Does that turn off ALL video processing? I know I read somewhere on here it can be done, but I can't find it.

Can someone post a link to the directions how, or explain them for me please?

P.S.
I tried the "temp" reading thing that appears on the front display and it worked.

Ahh..this I've noticed watching the Bulls/Heat game last night. Although not frequent or disturbing enough, can be seen at times during free throws. You really have to look for it to see it.

Same here, monitor out is set to "through".
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page