Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 747 Old 02-03-2014, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBCookin View Post

Just got my 360 out of storage after 2 years. The unit worked fine for three months before I packed it away.

Now when I select Net as the source the TV screen flickers.

Is this a common problem?

Called Onkyo and they might consider fixing it for free even though it's out of warranty. I have to email in a copy of the receipt, but I can't seem to find it (yet). Any chance that they'll fix it without proof of purchase?

Denon AVR-X4000 ($622)
Gallo Strada 2 fronts, with Mapleshade stands ($600)
HSU VTF-2 ($215)
Harmony 650 remote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 747 Old 02-06-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunnoAV View Post

So my Onkyo 360 HDMI audio output died. I noticed this after I had a new direct tv box put in. I don't know if that was the cause or the 2 year failure that lots of people are complaining about. http://forums.onkyousa.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3035

When's the last time the power to the unit has been cut? If it's been some time, try unplugging the unit from the wall for a minute and see if it fixes the problem. I've found that every 3 or 4 months mine will start acting up, unplug it and plug it back up and everything’s fine for another few months. Don't worry, it won't lose all your settings and presets.
post #723 of 747 Old 02-06-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantoms View Post

Sent one, but from other replies regarding Onkyo I'm not too optimistic about them giving me a Roku code. That's why I asked here hoping there was a chance a user actually found a code that works.

Reply came back today:

Good Afternoon,

Unfortunately we do not have remote codes that support the Roku as of this moment.

The search continues.
post #724 of 747 Old 02-08-2014, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
^ Sorry to hear that! One would think that the Roku has enough of an installed base for them to support it.

Based on your original question, I guess you don't have a learning remote...
post #725 of 747 Old 02-09-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretski View Post

Based on your original question, I guess you don't have a learning remote...

The Onkyo Remote for the HT-RC360 is not a learning remote, but you can enter the code for many devices to control them with it. Right now, it controls my
Sony BluRay, Insignia TV, Pioneer CD Changer, Pioneer Tape Deck in addition to the Onkyo receiver.
post #726 of 747 Old 02-10-2014, 06:45 AM

I know. I own a HT-RC360. :-)

My comment was in reference to an IR learning remote (I use a Harmony One, and my Onkyo remote lives in the drawer). Anyway, I sent a message to Onkyo support to ask for Roku codes to be released, to try to help...one more voice.
post #727 of 747 Old 02-19-2014, 07:20 AM

My Onkyo is housed in a cabinet with a couple of inches of airspace above the receiver, open to the front, but enclosed in the back. It gets pretty warm to the touch, but not super hot. Given the problems with HDMI boards going out, I decided to add a fan to the system.

Here's the one I got:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G05A2MU/

The fan is USB powered, and comes with an power plug adapter and rubber mounting feet. I plugged it in to the master control plug on my UPS, so it is only on when the Onkyo is on. I have the fan sitting on top of the vents, blowing upward. This has developed a nice convection flow in the cabinet, and the receiver now stays very close to ambient temperature. The fan is very quiet. Power draw is negligible; it pulls a little over a watt.

post #728 of 747 Old 02-27-2014, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am pleasantly surprised that Onkyo is still providing firmware updates for the RC370 even though I am no longer using it.
http://www.onkyousa.com/Downloads/firmware.php?source=globalnav
post #729 of 747 Old 02-27-2014, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by carageuw View Post

I am pleasantly surprised that Onkyo is still providing firmware updates for the RC370 even though I am no longer using it.
http://www.onkyousa.com/Downloads/firmware.php?source=globalnav

Thanks for the info. Since none of the following is going to be of any benefit to me, I won't bother....

The 02/19/14
update addresse
s the following
(all above listed models):
AVAILABLE ONLY VIA USB
Corrects lock up failure when using Telstra T Box or MiCasaVerde Vera Lite controller on the same
network
The 09/11/13
update addresse
s the following
(all above listed models):
AVAILABLE ONLY VIA USB
Improves
picture output of 4K up-scaling
The 06/13/2013
update addresses the following:
AVAILABLE ONLY VIA USB
Corrects the problem that the OSD menu does not appear when certain source components connected via HDMI are in standby mode
The 04/20/2011 update addresses the following:
Enhances video output
Improves update functionality
Supports hexadecimal WEP keys in manual setting of UWF
-

post #730 of 747 Old 03-31-2014, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I was finding my way through the Setup Menu to do a firmware update. In the process I must have hit a button on my Onkyo Remote and/or on the 370 that has caused strange hings to occur. I was in the Setup Menu but had not selected Firmware Update when things went awry. I am now unable to get either my Harmony One or the 370 Remote to perform properly. I may have accidentally hit the "memory clear" button on the 370, not sure. No control of volume on either remote. On the Harmony One all other basic functions seem to be fine. Nothing on the Onkyo Remote works. The remote indicates it is sending a signal. I put in new batteries just in case the signal was too weak but still nothing works. On the front panel of the 370 I can bring up the Setup Menu but can't figure out how you navigate up and down the menu on the front panel. The remote is useless.

Any ideas as to what is going on?
Thanks--
post #731 of 747 Old 03-31-2014, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Did you go into remote ID and do something? Try a system reset?

post #732 of 747 Old 04-01-2014, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Did you go into remote ID and do something? Try a system reset?[/quote

[]I'm searching for the Onkyo manual. In the meantime, how does one reset the unit and/or go into remote ID? Can either be done or accessed from the front of the receiver?
[/]
post #733 of 747 Old 04-02-2014, 02:41 AM
AVS Special Member

You can only do the reset from the receiver. Keep in mind you'll lose saved data and go back to original settings as when you bought it. You might try a soft reset first (i.e. unplugging it for a minute or so). To do the full system reset you need to turn the receiver on, then on the front panel of the receiver press and hold the "VCR/DVR" button while doing that press the "STANDBY/ON" button. You will see the word "Clear" in the display screen and the receiver will go into standby mode. Once the receiver goes into standby mode turn it back on and go thru the setup menu for all custom settings.

The remote selection is on the same menu as the firmware updates i.e. on the hardware setup menu (#7 from the main setup menu)

post #734 of 747 Old 05-06-2014, 04:05 PM

I'm not sure if this was posted elsewhere,or this is old news, but these models no loner support Rhapsody anymore. Luckily I have a Chromecast, but I still think it's kind of crappy to stop supporting a receiver that I've had for less than three years. I called Onkyo aboutit, and their customer service pretty much said I'm SOL. It kind of defeats the purpose of having my receiver connected to the internet. I wonder what else it will be dropped. And it's annoying to still see Napster on the Net home screen. Just delete it already.
post #735 of 747 Old 05-15-2014, 12:18 PM

Posted this in videogames and haven't seen a response but since I think it might be receiver related I'm trying again here...

I've been experimenting with my home theater setup and noticed lately that my PS3 sounds significantly better with the same material than my Xbox One does (never used the 360 for media, and can't compare bluray with it). Does anyone have a similar experience or suggestions to bring them closer together? Does the PS4 have pretty much the same hdmi audio as the PS3? Right now I'm experimenting the NIN Beside You In Time but I've switched while watching movies because it is noticeably different. I normally set my receiver to multichannel instead of direct, right now I have the PS3 on Dolby TrueHD.

Onkyo Rc360
Pioneer SP-FS52-LR and SP-C22 for fronts, Onkyo rears and sub
post #736 of 747 Old 08-03-2014, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Which of these are/or are not ARC Ready/Capable/Compatible:

DirecTV DVR Model HR34-700 w/Genie/slave
Onkyo HT-RC 370 Receiver
Samsung TV Model UN75ES9000FXZA

Does anyone know which of these are/or are not ARC Ready/Capable/Compatible?:
Onkyo HT-RC 370 Receiver
Also I would like to know the best place to post this. I can't seem to locate
a DLP Display section or an Official Samsung 9000 thread.
A good explanation of ARC would be helpful. The more I read the more confusing it gets. Just purchased the new 9000 above. I found a list stating that it has ARC and the HDMI connection on back says ARC but I also found a list and this model manufactured in 2012 does not list it.
Does ARC eliminate the need for an HDMI cable. I read all you need if components are ARC compatible are the power cords, but I also read that the HDMI cables need to be ARC capable. Need help. Thanks!
post #737 of 747 Old 08-03-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James A. McGahee View Post
Which of these are/or are not ARC Ready/Capable/Compatible:

Onkyo HT-RC 370 Receiver

Does anyone know which of these are/or are not ARC Ready/Capable/Compatible?:
Onkyo HT-RC 370 Receiver
Also I would like to know the best place to post this. I can't seem to locate
a DLP Display section or an Official Samsung 9000 thread.
A good explanation of ARC would be helpful. The more I read the more confusing it gets. Just purchased the new 9000 above. I found a list stating that it has ARC and the HDMI connection on back says ARC but I also found a list and this model manufactured in 2012 does not list it.
Does ARC eliminate the need for an HDMI cable. I read all you need if components are ARC compatible are the power cords, but I also read that the HDMI cables need to be ARC capable. Need help. Thanks!
The tv and avr are ARC compatible, the Directv box isn't part of the equation (assuming you plug the Directv box into your avr). Its often not worth it, as it requires use of the HDMI-CEC feature in your tv and avr and will do funky things like switch the source on the avr to the tv input even if you are directing it to the cbl/sat input, for example. http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/arc.aspx

post #738 of 747 Old 08-03-2014, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Exclamation Trying to Understand ARC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
The tv and avr are ARC compatible, the Directv box isn't part of the equation (assuming you plug the Directv box into your avr). Its often not worth it, as it requires use of the HDMI-CEC feature in your tv and avr and will do funky things like switch the source on the avr to the tv input even if you are directing it to the cbl/sat input, for example. http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/arc.aspx
Thanks for your reply!
I need a little more clarification to make sure I'm following you correctly.
Do mean by "Its often not worth it"...that it is not worth it to use ARC at all, even with the DirecTV box plugged into the receiver, or that it is not worth it to plug the DirecTV directly into the TV? Hope I'm making sense.
So, if I hook my DirecTV into my receiver then hook the receiver to the TV via. the ARC HDMI ports, what have I accomplished? Does this process still result in funky functioning?
Thanks, again!
post #739 of 747 Old 08-03-2014, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James A. McGahee View Post
Thanks for your reply!
I need a little more clarification to make sure I'm following you correctly.
Do mean by "Its often not worth it"...that it is not worth it to use ARC at all, even with the DirecTV box plugged into the receiver, or that it is not worth it to plug the DirecTV directly into the TV? Hope I'm making sense.
So, if I hook my DirecTV into my receiver then hook the receiver to the TV via. the ARC HDMI ports, what have I accomplished? Does this process still result in funky functioning?
Thanks, again!
The funk comes from the HDMI-CEC protocol implemented differently from brand to brand (I have the 370 and a Samsung tv so pretty sure what you're going to get when you enable the HDMI-CEC in each unit which is required for ARC). When powering up the tv will switch the avr input to tv even if you don't want that. Only advantage is one hdmi cable connecting the avr to the tv but is often limited to 2ch so I find it useless but then I source no audio from my tv such as apps or OTA (OTA broadcasts are often the exception to the 2ch rule as well but not familiar with your particular tv). So I don't bother with ARC at all. I wouldn't plug my Directv to the tv directly in any case, only thing I plug into the tv is the hdmi for video, all audio I use my avr for; I was just indicating the Directv unit doesn't come into play in the ARC discussion. Hope that's clearer...

post #740 of 747 Old 09-29-2014, 01:16 PM

Liked: 0
I have an Onkyo RC370 that I purchased back in November 2011. For speakers, I have the Klipsch HD 500. Used banana plugs to connect the speakers. I had it set up in a 5.1 speaker setup, when about a month ago, I noticed the front-left speaker was no longer putting out any sound. I decided to let it slide and left it as a low priority. Well, a little while later, I started getting Check Sp Wire error messages with the receiver turning itself off. It had turned itself off due to high volume in the past, but this was at volume levels that had not cut out before. I turned the receiver back on and it came back on okay (but I still had the front left speaker plugged in).

More recently, I started experiencing a quicker interval of these protection shutoffs and decided to troubleshoot it. I unplugged the front left speaker only and attempted to turn the receiver back on and I got a Check Sp Wire that would flash on the display for 1/4 second before the clicking sound of the protect circuit activated again. I thought this was kind of strange. At this point, I then unplugged all the speaker and HDMI connections and attempted to power on the receiver with no connections and I get the Check Sp Wire message for 1/4 second followed by the protection circuit click.

At this point, I figured something went wrong and looked at the manual to try to determine if there was anything else to try. I saw a section where one should leave the receiver unconnected for an hour and try to repower the receiver and set the volume back to low. After an hour however, the issue remained. I made one last ditch attempt to try a reset of the receiver by pressing the VCR/DVR button while powering the receiver. I did get a Clear message on the display followed by a flicker of Check Sp Wire and the protection circuit kicking back on. So no luck!

At this point, I contacted Onkyo who said the warranty has expired so their only option is to contact an authorized service center to pursue a repair to the device. Since there isn't a low cost repair or replacement option as far as I know, I'm unsure what the best course of action is.

I haven't yet opened the receiver yet to look around, but it's possible that the control board that connects to the front left speaker was faulty or damaged. The other speakers operated fine up to the final Check Sp Wire shutdown. I haven't opened the receiver yet to look for damage to the boards, so there may be a blown component on a board that I can identify.

I don't know if there is anyone here who has looked at the internals of a RC370 for troubleshooting. If anyone has had a similar experience, is there a recommendation on what to look for for possible causes? I can certain use a multimeter to check around, but do not have any background other than checking for shorts, and not inside a receiver (this is my first receiver). I don't know if it's possible to disconnect or exchange one of the control boards for the perceived faulty speaker connection (front-left) from an unused speaker connection (since I'm 5.1, not 7.2) or at least see if I can isolate what component is damaged and get the receiver to power on without constantly tripping the protection circuit.

Otherwise, the options that I'm looking at are the following:

1. Find a comparable replacement to the HT-RC370. I really liked this receiver while it was operating, even though the protect circuit is acting up. I also had issues with the protect circuit acting up at reference volume when I first bought the device so maybe there was a problem to begin with. Are there any receivers with the same kind of audio setup that one would recommend? Hope to stay around $500 for a new receiver. Looking for a comparable Onkyo or other vendor if you feel they have more reliable equipment. The multieq calibration was quite nice for setup.

2. Send the unit in for repair. In this scenario, I would pay for shipping both locations, a fixed labor rate (which is nice!) and parts. The quoted price for labor is $110 and shipping would probably be $50-75 round trip depending on location and I have no idea what the part replacement would be. Warranty is 90 days for parts. Seems like a moderate amount of risk for the money for repair, but it is cheaper than a new receiver.

3. Use the Onkyo refurbish exchange program where one sends in their receiver and purchases a refurbished one with 1 year parts/service at a discounted price. (Still need to determine availability and price on this option).

I also have some other questions from the more experienced home theater users.

Did I do something foolish that put my receiver at unnecessary risk that I could have prevented? How important is it to disconnect all the speaker wires if I get protection circuit faults like Check Sp Wire in the future? Should I have done a full diagnostic of all the speakers and wires at that time?

Do most people have two receivers that they swap in case there is a component failure? Is 2.75 years an good/average/poor lifespan for receivers in this price range? Since the warranty is set up for 2 years, I wonder what the life-expectancy is for receivers in this price range.

Is there any measurement one can do with a multimeter to indicate speaker failure? Is it dangerous to plug in a blown speaker into a receiver? I have a old cd-player boom-box device that I will test the speaker to see if it's faulty tonight.

Is repair a worthwhile option for these kinds of receivers? If it was a budget receiver around $300 lasted for 3 years, I'd probably just get a replacement straight up, but the $500 price range is cause for some thought at least for me. At least enough to consider an alternate vendor with better reliability.

Unless I hear that it's a bad idea, I'm thinking of at least opening the receiver up and see if I can see anything like a blown capacitor or something noticeable. If anyone has suggestions on what to look for in this scenario, I'd appreciate it. I would at least like to know that it's the receiver and not my speaker/wiring damaging the receiver when I plug in a replacement.

Thanks for any advice,
John
post #741 of 747 Old 09-29-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry to hear about your 370. Hope it doesn't happen to mine....

Can't help you with your technical questions altho I doubt you did anything to further the problem; that displayed info obviously is of limited use if your wiring was in proper form (you did go thru it?). How did you have the unit setup in terms of a cabinet/rack? How was ventilation?

Just a thought, that you could use an outboard amp for your mains assuming the pre-outs are still working (and I'd check that if you have a way of doing so); I've used outboard amps for my mains for most of the life of my unit.

I think there's a pretty good deal on the Denon X4000 now, more than your budget but has XT32 and all the other bells and whistles these days. I think generally you just take a chance with consumer electronics for the mass market in terms of reliability of assembled units or even some critical components. I had a similarly priced Pioneer avr fail (after I got my 370 and had moved the Pioneer down to bedroom duties).

post #742 of 747 Old 09-29-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your 370. Hope it doesn't happen to mine....

Can't help you with your technical questions altho I doubt you did anything to further the problem; that displayed info obviously is of limited use if your wiring was in proper form (you did go thru it?). How did you have the unit setup in terms of a cabinet/rack? How was ventilation?

Just a thought, that you could use an outboard amp for your mains assuming the pre-outs are still working (and I'd check that if you have a way of doing so); I've used outboard amps for my mains for most of the life of my unit.

I think there's a pretty good deal on the Denon X4000 now, more than your budget but has XT32 and all the other bells and whistles these days. I think generally you just take a chance with consumer electronics for the mass market in terms of reliability of assembled units or even some critical components. I had a similarly priced Pioneer avr fail (after I got my 370 and had moved the Pioneer down to bedroom duties).
I had my receiver on a shelf in an entertainment center under a tv with 1-2 inches of vertical space and an open front and 4 inch slot in back that all the cables had to squeeze through. Plenty of extra horizontal space. The one thing I do remember was moving the receiver around a bit trying to figure out how to allow my wife to watch a old VCR tape and that's pretty much when the front left speaker went out. I un-did the banana plugs and the cable was still fine. Haven't checked the wiring in the wall yet, but I see little reason for that to be a problem. Maybe the receiver is sensitive to being moved around. I probably should cut out the wood panel on the back of the shelf so all the banana plug connections to the receiver are easily accessible without needing to rotate the receiver to access the back to change the wiring configuration.

My cheapo multimeter is busted so I ordered a replacement last week. Hope to see it in the next couple of days and hopefully I'll know a little more.
post #743 of 747 Old 09-29-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpalerCore View Post
I had my receiver on a shelf in an entertainment center under a tv with 1-2 inches of vertical space and an open front and 4 inch slot in back that all the cables had to squeeze through. Plenty of extra horizontal space. The one thing I do remember was moving the receiver around a bit trying to figure out how to allow my wife to watch a old VCR tape and that's pretty much when the front left speaker went out. I un-did the banana plugs and the cable was still fine. Haven't checked the wiring in the wall yet, but I see little reason for that to be a problem. Maybe the receiver is sensitive to being moved around. I probably should cut out the wood panel on the back of the shelf so all the banana plug connections to the receiver are easily accessible without needing to rotate the receiver to access the back to change the wiring configuration.

My cheapo multimeter is busted so I ordered a replacement last week. Hope to see it in the next couple of days and hopefully I'll know a little more.
Moving an avr around like that could have had consequences, hopefully it was powered off at the time? Having easy, no-strain accessbility is a good thing....

That isn't much space, less than recommeded. Did you have an auxiliary fan?

post #744 of 747 Old Yesterday, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Moving an avr around like that could have had consequences, hopefully it was powered off at the time? Having easy, no-strain accessbility is a good thing....

That isn't much space, less than recommeded. Did you have an auxiliary fan?
It was powered off at the time when I moved it, but not unplugged from the power strip. I plan to cut out a square panel to access the receiver connections in the back to reduce the amount of times I need to move it. Maybe I'll stop dusting underneath a receiver it by lifting it up. I don't remember ever hitting it hard or giving it a hard knock though.

I didn't have a fan since the front was open to the air. What kind of fan/airflow am I looking for? Is there a reference in the manual that discussed space requirements (I must have missed that)? Are you saying that ambient heat release reduces the lifespan of these receivers?

I don't have a dedicated entertainment room and rack, just a living room 16x12' with a couch and entertainment center with 4 speakers mounted in the ceiling, and one on the top shelf of the entertainment center just underneath the TV. Subwoofer was to the right of the entertainment center, but I don't know how much impact it's vibration would have on the avr. I'm not an audio professional, so there's probably things that could improve the life expectancy of my setup.
post #745 of 747 Old Yesterday, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

From the manual page 2:
18. If you install the apparatus in a built-in installation,
such as a bookcase or rack, ensure that there is
adequate ventilation.
Leave 20 cm (8") of free space at the top and sides and
10 cm (4") at the rear. The rear edge of the shelf or
board above the apparatus shall be set 10 cm (4")
away from the rear panel or wall, creating a flue-like
gap for warm air to escape.

Some use additional fans, to that in the unit, for additional help in cooling.

Have you actually checked the speaker wire connections, though? It only takes a stray strand to cause issues....which could have happened as you moved the unit if you do not have adequate slack in your cables.

post #746 of 747 Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM

Quote:
From the manual page 2:
18. If you install the apparatus in a built-in installation,
such as a bookcase or rack, ensure that there is
adequate ventilation.
Leave 20 cm (8") of free space at the top and sides and
10 cm (4") at the rear. The rear edge of the shelf or
board above the apparatus shall be set 10 cm (4")
away from the rear panel or wall, creating a flue-like
gap for warm air to escape.

Some use additional fans, to that in the unit, for additional help in cooling.

Have you actually checked the speaker wire connections, though? It only takes a stray strand to cause issues....which could have happened as you moved the unit if you do not have adequate slack in your cables.
The speaker wires are terminated with banana plugs, so I did not consider that an issue since the plugs seemed pretty snug inside the terminals on the receiver, and the speaker wire itself is well insulated. Still, I would figure that disconnecting all the speaker wires would allow the receiver to come on normally if everything was working properly.

I definitely do not have the 8 inches of vertical space, but pretty close to those limits in the other directions. Probably the best thing I could do without new furniture is to cut a hole similar to computer desks for air to vent out through the top shelf of the tv stand, and add a fan to push air out.

If I have time tonight, I'll try to reconnect the receiver to the speakers after checking the connections and see if it kicks out of it's protect mode.
post #747 of 747 Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I was really more interested in how much heat may have played a role, not saying it did in your case particularly, as these things do warm up and some have been known to run very warm, particularly the hdmi boards.

Forgot the banana plug part. Altho I would still confirm that the amp in that channel has no input by connecting it to another speaker wire (and possibly a different speaker depending on how accessible connections are to your ceiling mounts); I'd also test if there's signal from that speaker's pre-out. Just to eliminate possibilities....

You have seen this thread I hope even though your issue may not apply...worth a look Onkyo acknowledges failed units and extending warrranties until 2018

ps as far as the bananas I'd still inspect them (even to make sure the wire is properly installed in the banana still since pulling on some styles can pull the wire out easily enough).

Last edited by lovinthehd; Yesterday at 02:06 PM.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page