Onkyo HT-RC360/370 - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 735 Old 05-27-2011, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How do I completely turn off the video processing? Isn't there a combination of buttons you have to push on the receiver itself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 735 Old 05-27-2011, 08:12 AM

Can anyone tell me what was in there Onkyo box i.e. I know the remote and operations manual, Mic., antenna but was there any cables? Reason I ask is I'm thinking of taking this back and I bought a TV, B.R., Speakers and this Rec. and hooked everything up and all my boxes an manuals are in a stack. I have 3 cables and I'm not sure if it came with this rec.

Thanks
post #63 of 735 Old 05-27-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunnoAV View Post

Can anyone tell me what was in there Onkyo box i.e. I know the remote and operations manual, Mic., antenna but was there any cables? Reason I ask is I'm thinking of taking this back and I bought a TV, B.R., Speakers and this Rec. and hooked everything up and all my boxes an manuals are in a stack. I have 3 cables and I'm not sure if it came with this rec.

Thanks

No cables, just the items you mentioned.
post #64 of 735 Old 05-27-2011, 07:15 PM

Thank you, I'm going to play with this rec. this weekend and if it doesn't work out, I'm going to get a different one.
post #65 of 735 Old 05-28-2011, 02:23 PM

Here is a pic of my 360 in my stand (temp display while listening to music through NET was up to 57C then began to drop to 43...volume at 27).

[IMG][/IMG]

Here are the fans I am considering:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HTPC-Cable-box-C...item588b555d9a

Which do you think would work best:

1) Cut hole in the back of the cabinet where the receiver is located, mount 1 fan in the hole pulling air out, then have the other fan sitting on top of the receiver pulling hot air out of the receiver

2) Cut hole in the back of the cabinet where the receiver is located, Mount 1 fan on the back panel of the cabinet blowing forward over the top of the receiver, then have the other fan sitting on top of the receiver pulling hot air out of the receiver

Any other ideas?
post #66 of 735 Old 05-29-2011, 11:12 AM

Well here is my update, the rec. is warn, but not hot like it was the first time I turned it on. My family and I watched a movie and a 1hr. t.v. show. No jitter/stutter didn't get hot at all. Is this an intermitten issue, I can't say. I'll say the heating up issue was the first time I hooked it up and put my blu ray on top. I know this is a no no, but it had rubber pegs and was out in the open and was just a 15min. to 1 hr. trial. I have the rec. out in the open sitting on my floor with no issues. The big issue for me was the jitter, which I couldn't see last night and trust me I was looking for it. The settings on the rec. are still out of the box and I haven't moved/switched or changed anything. I might have some time tomorrow to deal with that if not next weekend. If I don't run into any issues I'll be keeping this rec. Just posting what I'm expierencing if anyone has any suggestion to settings please chime in. I didn't even know the rec. could display temp.....
post #67 of 735 Old 05-30-2011, 06:16 PM

Hey guys...just picked up this receiver on the 299 deal at Fry's...they were out at the one close to me so I had to drive to a part of town where they wern't as in demand

I had targeted the TX-NR609 but this deal popped up and was too good to pass up. I am building a theater from scratch in a dedicated room and I have to strech my dollar as far as it would go. I really wanted the THX cert but as some of you said I probably won't notice. I had an old kenwood 5.1 receiver that died years ago and I have been out of the home theater realm for several years. Now I am back to feeding my addiction of home audio...

Anyway I am early in my stage of setup...but I will report back on how it's working for me....thanks for the posts...
post #68 of 735 Old 05-30-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT_Dean View Post

Hey guys...just picked up this receiver on the 299 deal at Fry's...they were out at the one close to me so I had to drive to a part of town where they wern't as in demand

I had targeted the TX-NR609 but this deal popped up and was too good to pass up. I am building a theater from scratch in a dedicated room and I have to strech my dollar as far as it would go. I really wanted the THX cert but as some of you said I probably won't notice. I had an old kenwood 5.1 receiver that died years ago and I have been out of the home theater realm for several years. Now I am back to feeding my addiction of home audio...

Anyway I am early in my stage of setup...but I will report back on how it's working for me....thanks for the posts...

I just picked up this unit... waiting on speaker wire! Do you guys recommend the FRY'S WARRANTY? Thanks!
post #69 of 735 Old 05-31-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scdiamond View Post

I just picked up this unit... waiting on speaker wire! Do you guys recommend the FRY'S WARRANTY? Thanks!

diamond...I didn't go for the warranty. Not sure what the manufacturer's warranty is on this unit though...I haven't opened it up yet but will tonight...

Hopefully this receiver will last...it's my first onkyo.....
post #70 of 735 Old 05-31-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcmkx2000 View Post

Here is a pic of my 360 in my stand (temp display while listening to music through NET was up to 57C then began to drop to 43...volume at 27).

[IMG][/IMG]

Here are the fans I am considering:

Which do you think would work best:

1) Cut hole in the back of the cabinet where the receiver is located, mount 1 fan in the hole pulling air out, then have the other fan sitting on top of the receiver pulling hot air out of the receiver

2) Cut hole in the back of the cabinet where the receiver is located, Mount 1 fan on the back panel of the cabinet blowing forward over the top of the receiver, then have the other fan sitting on top of the receiver pulling hot air out of the receiver

Any other ideas?

nice fans...so you are just going to power them off of the usb on the unit? Doesn't it have only one usb input? If so not sure I would tie it up with fans unless you don't plan on using that port...

The options you listed would probably work...another suggestion I would consider would be to mount both on the receiver pulling out air and then making a couple of slits in the back of your cabinet that allows for air to flow out the back....
post #71 of 735 Old 05-31-2011, 12:54 PM

I just picked up the 360 at Fry's for their sale special.
Luckily I saw this in the forum as today is the last day of the sale.

Setup was a breeze, currently I am waiting for it to finish the firmware update.
post #72 of 735 Old 05-31-2011, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wish I had a frys close by Someone buy me one!!!
post #73 of 735 Old 05-31-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timf79 View Post

I just picked up the 360 at Fry's for their sale special.
Luckily I saw this in the forum as today is the last day of the sale.

Setup was a breeze, currently I am waiting for it to finish the firmware update.

Did you upgrade the firmware already? Not at the last revision ?

How did you upgrade, USB or Net? How long was it?
post #74 of 735 Old 05-31-2011, 10:13 PM

I just watched a movie and three front left speaker "pops" from time to time.
I checked that connections and tested a different speaker.
That was no fix.
could the cable be too long? Though it is the same as I used before with the sr803
Any ideas? or is the 360 I got broken?
post #75 of 735 Old 06-01-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:

I just watched a movie and three front left speaker "pops" from time to time.
I checked that connections and tested a different speaker.
That was no fix.
could the cable be too long? Though it is the same as I used before with the sr803
Any ideas? or is the 360 I got broken?

try some other speaker wire just to make sure...i just hooked mine up last night...only front two speakers...going to get the center channel and subwoofer setup today...i will let you know if i have similar issues...
post #76 of 735 Old 06-01-2011, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent8 View Post

Wish I had a frys close by Someone buy me one!!!

Last time around they sold this receiver online for the same $299 price. Not on Memorial day unfortunately. Its been on sale for $299 twice in the last month. It'll be on sale again, probably around july 4.

Afro GT
post #77 of 735 Old 06-01-2011, 11:42 AM

I will have to keep my eyes open for that! Thanks! Hopefully by then, they get some of the kinks work out with firmware and what-not. What are they going to call the new series now that they are up to the 9s? 609> 610? and RC460? LOL
post #78 of 735 Old 06-01-2011, 01:09 PM

It gets hot, and I feel like it jitters once and awhile. I feel there is also some extra motion blur. But it sounds amazing and all the network features work flawlessly for me.

I am thinking about returning it and getting a yamaha.
post #79 of 735 Old 06-01-2011, 01:42 PM

I exchanged mine today after I tried another speaker wire.
The new unit works perfect, though I am doing the FW update currently.

What wonders me though is, it semmed as that Fry's just put an open box sticker on the unit I returned. I hope they test it or return it to Onkyo before it goes in the sale room again.
post #80 of 735 Old 06-01-2011, 08:13 PM

I was curious about the power utilization & thermal regime of my new HT-RC360, purchased at Fry's last week (excellent price!). 'Twas weird - running at ambient 65'F, unrestricted air flow, speakers muted, the receiver came up pulling 65W - then ramped up to 150W over the next 15minutes. Draw remained at 150W until the internal fan kicked in (at 50'C), and then dropped to about 135W.

Turning the speakers on at relatively high volume only added ~30W to the total... my Klipsch gear is pretty efficient.

So - the receiver likes to run hot, except... a couple of times, when playing with my TV (another recent Fry's purchase - an LG 55LW5600), the base draw dropped to 45W & stayed there - even after I went back to watching Blu-rays w/DTS-HD sound tracks.

Any words of wisdom? I've heard that Onkyo receivers are supposed to run hot, but am unsure as to what constitutes normal behaviour.
post #81 of 735 Old 06-01-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:

What wonders me though is, it semmed as that Fry's just put an open box sticker on the unit I returned. I hope they test it or return it to Onkyo before it goes in the sale room again.

They sell Open box for a reason... most expensive to ship it and get it "refurb." Just sell crap at 10% off.. haha
post #82 of 735 Old 06-02-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:

Guess you just got a bad one initially. Glad it worked out for you as I am liking this receiver. I finally hooked up speakers (minus surround) and I didn't have any pops. In fact once I figured out how to engage all the listening modes on this thing it really started to make my meager setup to sound good. It's nice to finally put a few of my speakers through the paces(velodyne sub and polk center channel). Can't wait until I get new fronts and surrounds... I just love that I can play my Western Digital Live media player up in my media room now. Will probably finish out with polks as I like how they sound and prefer them.
post #83 of 735 Old 06-02-2011, 05:56 PM

still uncertain as to the difference between this and the 609. onkyo site says 360 doesn't have wifi ability with optional part but amazon shows it has it. i've seen some folks noted no pc input on the 360 but it does appear to have it. if these aren't truly differences then the only difference is thx certification, correct?
post #84 of 735 Old 06-02-2011, 06:00 PM

If you look on the back, the RC360 has no PC input where the 609 does. Not sure about the wi fi thing. As far as I know, it's just the THX certification, THX cinema mode (which every one seems to dislike and the pc inputs. As far as the pc input goes, you can buy an adapter that converts the vga to hdmi for 9 bucks and just use one of the hdmi inputs, problem solved.
post #85 of 735 Old 06-03-2011, 09:04 AM

thanks just ordered one. hope it sounds as good or better than my lightning damaged yamaha 5760. gotta believe it'll do a better job processing component video to my projector. will be changing to hdmi when i move my home theater downstairs so i'm interested in the solutions to some of the bugs you guys have encountered.
post #86 of 735 Old 06-03-2011, 02:51 PM

Has anyone tried the new firmware yet? Per the onkyousa site:

The 06/1/2011 update addresses the following (all above listed models):
1. Improves audio/video output in HDMI Through mode
2. Stabilizes setting of a static IP address in Network Settings
post #87 of 735 Old 06-03-2011, 04:13 PM

Sounds like many of you bought this in-store at frys. To those of you that bought it online and had to return it, do they charge you for shipping? I am thinking that for just a little more than the price to ship it, I could buy an 3 year warranty that covers all shipping and will fix or replace it no matter what from B@H. Anyone ever used their Sagemax protection thing? Seems like a coin flip of getting one that works and I think it would be pretty heavy to ship.
post #88 of 735 Old 06-04-2011, 03:40 PM

A family member bought a 360 on my recommendation, after setting it up for them today a couple of issues arose. First, if any cable was unhooked, HDMI, speaker, the sound would go off, the only remedy was to turn the unit off and back on again, is this normal on this unit?

Also, I couldn't get any video through the blu-ray thru HDMI, I got audio though. I double and triple checked to make all cables were hooked up properly and that the correct inputs were selected. When I turned on the player(oppo)the Oppo screen was onscreen. I was able to play a cd thru it and here the audio of a blu, but no picture, any ideas? Bad unit?
post #89 of 735 Old 06-06-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mal01 View Post

A family member bought a 360 on my recommendation, after setting it up for them today a couple of issues arose. First, if any cable was unhooked, HDMI, speaker, the sound would go off, the only remedy was to turn the unit off and back on again, is this normal on this unit?

Also, I couldn't get any video through the blu-ray thru HDMI, I got audio though. I double and triple checked to make all cables were hooked up properly and that the correct inputs were selected. When I turned on the player(oppo)the Oppo screen was onscreen. I was able to play a cd thru it and here the audio of a blu, but no picture, any ideas? Bad unit?

I think you choose the 4k upscaling mode instead 1080p mode. th actual TV's doesn't support this future resolution.
post #90 of 735 Old 06-09-2011, 02:23 AM

As far as I can tell the only differences are THX and the PC Input.

Also, from the TX-NR609 manual, the PC Input has the following note:

Available resolutions: [640 × 480 60 Hz], [800 × 600 60 Hz], [1024 × 768 60 Hz], [1280 × 1024 60 Hz]

So, IMHO, it's worthless as a "PC Input". I guess it could be useful to hook up a laptop that lacked HDMI for a temporary input. But, with those resolution restrictions, it certainly isn't something you'd want to use everyday. HDMI is clearly the better way to do a PC Input. However, the real value in having the PC input is that it gives you another assignable input that you can use for HDMI.

There's also some talk about the TX-NR609 supporting wireless. It appears to use a little dongle called a UWF-1. However, since the TX-NR609 only has the same front panel USB as the RC360, you'd have to plug it in the front. So, if you wanted to plug a USB device (USB drive or iThing) into this unit, you'd have to unplug the dongle (and lose networking). Or, maybe you could hang a hub off the front. So, if I needed wireless, I'd probably be looking at going with a wireless bridge with either model.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page