Onkyo HT-RC360/370 - Page 5 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Onkyo HT-RC360/370

Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Alameel's Avatar Alameel
10:54 AM Liked: 10
post #121 of 747
06-26-2011 | Posts: 6
Can someone who has one comment on the sound quality of this receiver? Also, does the pandora / internet radio / ipod via usb connection output to zone 2?
Dcmkx2000's Avatar Dcmkx2000
06:18 PM Liked: 10
post #122 of 747
06-27-2011 | Posts: 115
ht rc 360

I just ran the newest firmware update today. Now when streaming music from my pc, when set to random or shuffle, it goes to the next song before the current song is over. It's not doing it at the same point in every song. My receiver is plugged directly into my modem/router.

Anyone else experiencing this?
RocketGuy3's Avatar RocketGuy3
11:43 PM Liked: 10
post #123 of 747
06-27-2011 | Posts: 111
Hey guys, I just picked up this receiver recently and love it so far, but I'm trying to figure something out: What is the difference between "direct" and "straight decode"?

Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alameel View Post

Can someone who has one comment on the sound quality of this receiver? Also, does the pandora / internet radio / ipod via usb connection output to zone 2?

The sound quality has been great for me so far. I'm coming from an old HT-S790, so maybe I'm not used to the highest end amps I guess.

With regards to your second question, I am 90% sure it does, but someone else may want to confirm.
Mmetal's Avatar Mmetal
03:14 PM Liked: 10
post #124 of 747
06-30-2011 | Posts: 21
Hi all-- glad to have found this forum. Just got this 360 , my first receiver.

After all the set up and config is completed, my sub-woofer is not recognised. No sound is coming through sub-woofer. This is an unpowered rca sub that came with it blu-ray dvd HT.
I tried hooking it into Sub-woofer purple colored socket top one.

Can someone please help what am I doing wrong here to get sub-woofer to work?
Kini62's Avatar Kini62
04:12 PM Liked: 430
post #125 of 747
06-30-2011 | Posts: 3,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmetal View Post

Hi all-- glad to have found this forum. Just got this 360 , my first receiver.

After all the set up and config is completed, my sub-woofer is not recognised. No sound is coming through sub-woofer. This is an unpowered rca sub that came with it blu-ray dvd HT.
I tried hooking it into Sub-woofer purple colored socket top one.

Can someone please help what am I doing wrong here to get sub-woofer to work?

Non powered sub will need to use the speaker level input (speaker wire). Or maybe the line level outputs from the AVR (white and red RCA jacks).

Check your manual or better yet get a powered sub.
Mmetal's Avatar Mmetal
04:42 PM Liked: 10
post #126 of 747
06-30-2011 | Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

Non powered sub will need to use the speaker level input (speaker wire). Or maybe the line level outputs from the AVR (white and red RCA jacks).

Check your manual or better yet get a powered sub.

speaker wire -- is it not the normal two pronged wire coming out of speaker? I am connecting this to an jack and plug it into the sub-woofer socket.

Thanks for the info.
Kini62's Avatar Kini62
07:21 PM Liked: 430
post #127 of 747
06-30-2011 | Posts: 3,357
Quote:

speaker wire -- is it not the normal two pronged wire coming out of speaker? I am connecting this to an jack and plug it into the sub-woofer socket.

Thanks for the info.

The "sub" "LFE"/purple RCA plug is only for powered subs. Best thing to do (since you now have a really nice AVR) would be to get a powered sub.

I don't know what sub you have but I'm assuming it's from a HTIB set. If not then there may be other options.

Gene
gsolo's Avatar gsolo
05:18 AM Liked: 10
post #128 of 747
07-01-2011 | Posts: 26
$250 at Fry's until July 7th
Mmetal's Avatar Mmetal
07:19 AM Liked: 10
post #129 of 747
07-01-2011 | Posts: 21
Quote:

The "sub" "LFE"/purple RCA plug is only for powered subs. Best thing to do (since you now have a really nice AVR) would be to get a powered sub.

I don't know what sub you have but I'm assuming it's from a HTIB set. If not then there may be other options.

Gene

obviously a noob here.

any recommendations on what sub-woofer to buy?
Kini62's Avatar Kini62
10:02 AM Liked: 430
post #130 of 747
07-01-2011 | Posts: 3,357
Quote:

obviously a noob here.

any recommendations on what sub-woofer to buy?

How much money do you want to or can spend? How big is your room? How low and loud do you want to go? Home theater use only or music only or both...etc...

Many, many choices.

Check out the subwoofer forum.
Mmetal's Avatar Mmetal
10:33 AM Liked: 10
post #131 of 747
Quote:

How much money do you want to or can spend? How big is your room? How low and loud do you want to go? Home theater use only or music only or both...etc...

Many, many choices.

Check out the subwoofer forum.

thanks. will check the sw forum.
movies, gaming, music
around 100 or less if possible. small appartment living room about 12 x 12.
I'd like to go loud though, no restrictions on that one.
kcgr's Avatar kcgr
05:47 PM Liked: 12
post #132 of 747
07-01-2011 | Posts: 401
Go get your price match if you're within 30 days at Fry's. I just got my $50 back!

back to helping the newbie:

Passive sub (gets signal over speaker wire and the receiver it is hooked to is the amplifier).

Active sub / powered sub (has its own amplifier inside. It gets a LINE-OUT unamplified signal from a receiver over RCA cable. It's internal amp then amplifies the signal). This takes load off the main receiver.

option 1: since it seems like you have a passive sub, here's an option if you have the plugs available. IF you still have the receiver that came with your sub AND it has inputs for audio (red & white plugs say for CD or AUX), you can take a Y RCA plug and hook the single end into the purple output on the Onkyo, and the double end to the input on the old receiver (you may need extenders). Hook the old sub to the old receiver via the speaker outputs, as it originally was hooked up. Then making sure the input on the old receiver is correct, dial in the bass volume to taste. Hopefully it keeps the volume when you turn it off, rather than resetting itself to something else.

option 2: IF you have speaker OUTPUTS on the old sub, it was probably hooked up like this: receiver-->sub-->speakers. You can still do it this way. Option #1 gives you more flexibility and a discrete channel you can dial in to taste. Option 2 is simple, but you may not like the bass levels.

I do option #1 for the bedroom's system as I had an old but nice 15" passive sub and a spare receiver. Works great for me!

good luck! Come back if the above isn't good enough.
Mmetal's Avatar Mmetal
06:19 PM Liked: 10
post #133 of 747
thanks kgcr -- i do not have those plug ins for option # 1.
I am more leaning to buying a powered subwoo, just not sure which one and how much to spend..
kcgr's Avatar kcgr
06:38 PM Liked: 12
post #134 of 747
a small yet decent one is the sony saw2500. It is $100 at Frys and does a good job filling a room with sound for the room size you mentioned. My son has one in a 12x12 room.
Mmetal's Avatar Mmetal
06:49 PM Liked: 10
post #135 of 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcgr View Post

a small yet decent one is the sony saw2500. It is $100 at Frys and does a good job filling a room with sound for the room size you mentioned. My son has one in a 12x12 room.

sweet... available for 83 Free shipping at amazon. no frys in this neck of the woods...will go for this after the weekend...

one more question -- currently in the speaker set up list -- i have subwoofer set to yes.
what are the optimum decibel settings for each of the speakers? I understand it varies depending on the size and shape of the room they are in, but just as a general average, what levels should they be set to?-- in the mean time i am trying to find the manual for the speakers to see if they have any such specs listed....
kcgr's Avatar kcgr
06:57 PM Liked: 12
post #136 of 747
I'd get your speakers hooked up then run the Audyssey application. If you don't like the sound levels, then tweak it from there. Some of mine are -6db, some are -8db. The application sets each channel's output based on where you sit. It really is more of a personal preference thing after the app does its thing. You may like it or tweak a soft channel.
Mmetal's Avatar Mmetal
06:59 PM Liked: 10
post #137 of 747
so if i set those levels to some manual settings after the audyssey set up is ran, do they get re-adjusted to audyssey recommendations by just re-running the set up?

sorry, flooding with my stupidity here, never had an AVR and surround before..my wife already bought some new xbox games to play with full surround effects, only to be disappointed with my ignorance of not planning for subwoo before getting the avr.
kcgr's Avatar kcgr
08:02 PM Liked: 12
post #138 of 747
If I understand you correctly, then yes. Or to rephrase: You run audyssey and it sets up the output levels (write them down if you think you may want to experiment). The next day you think you need more center channel, so you manually boost it by 2db. The next day you decide the original settings were OK, so you can manually change them back OR rerun Audyssey and have it redo the settings from scratch.

I think there is only one sound setting profile ... meaning you can't have audyssey settings and your own custom one and toggle between the two. If there is a way to do that, I guess I haven't used it that way.
Mmetal's Avatar Mmetal
08:14 PM Liked: 10
post #139 of 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcgr View Post
If I understand you correctly, then yes. Or to rephrase: You run audyssey and it sets up the output levels (write them down if you think you may want to experiment). The next day you think you need more center channel, so you manually boost it by 2db. The next day you decide the original settings were OK, so you can manually change them back OR rerun Audyssey and have it redo the settings from scratch.

I think there is only one sound setting profile ... meaning you can't have audyssey settings and your own custom one and toggle between the two. If there is a way to do that, I guess I haven't used it that way.
thanks a lot for all the helpful info.
Dre325's Avatar Dre325
12:34 AM Liked: 10
post #140 of 747
07-02-2011 | Posts: 157
Quote:

sweet... available for 83 Free shipping at amazon. no frys in this neck of the woods...will go for this after the weekend...

I'd be careful with a Sony sub. If you have very low expectations then it may suffice. On the subs forum, there's tons of threads dedicated to cheap subs. BIC, Lava, and Emotiva all have some options, but you might have to raise the budget a little (but a small increase in your budget will get you much more for your money in an Internet direct sub compared to that Sony).
leftyguitar1963's Avatar leftyguitar1963
02:08 PM Liked: 26
post #141 of 747
07-02-2011 | Posts: 889
Just got my 360 @ Fry's yesterday, an early b-day present. I finally got my ARC to work with my LG55LW5600, "Simplink" was the key. My other LGs i had in the past had a link under the menu, osd, but this one only has it on the remote.

I'm having problems connecting it to my Fios Router, everything else, like my TV automatically detected the settings and locked them in. The 360 does not do it?!? I have it connected directly to the router.

I downloaded the latest FW, and used a USB to upload it to the AVR. It would be nice, or maybe i overlooked, if they listed the fixes on their site, from prev fw to new 1.

If i turn off RIHD, will my vudu streaming still come through the ARC into the AVR?

Under 4-5, picture adjust, if you have it at "Through" it will take whatever input signal and change it to the resolution you selected from prev. menu item right? and "Direct" will just do a 'native-pass thru' right?

when i have it set to either 1080/60/24p, shouldn't it clean up the jaggies & other artifacts? from time to time still see some jaggies here & there on my Fios STB/DirecT STB hd/sd programming. Or does this upscaler only clean non-digital, like component sources, it doesn't clean the HDMI sources, just changes the rez?

I have 4 hdmis input, fios stb, satellite stb, Blu-Ray player, pc, but i can only access menu while AVR mode is set to my Fios STB. Sometimes, the OSD, on other sources I can get rid of the bar, which displays volume level & other things. It always stays on the screen, so i had to toggle off the OSD in the menu. any thoughts on this?

Currently, i am w/out a 'center' speaker(1 on the way), is there anyway to hear dialogue, without setting it to 'All Channel Stereo'? When we have it on Dolby Digital, most times we can't hear folks talking, just the other things in the background.

Thanks.................
tracker2208's Avatar tracker2208
01:02 AM Liked: 10
post #142 of 747
07-03-2011 | Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by repower View Post

Ahh..this I've noticed watching the Bulls/Heat game last night. Although not frequent or disturbing enough, can be seen at times during free throws. You really have to look for it to see it.

Same here, monitor out is set to "through".

This reminds me of when I go to a live NBA game if you look for it you'll notice the whole arena flashing intermittently. It's like a few times every minute. You probably won't notice it but if you do you cant stop noticing it. What's happening is these professional photographers have these super bright flashes all over the stadium wired into their camera so when the go to snap a picture
they all go off at the same time (I read an article on ESPN about court side photographers). If you look for it you can notice it on TV too, but it's mostly noticeable when they go to different camera angles, like they when free throws are being attempted. I'm guessing these short bursts of barely noticeable flashes could be causing these glitches.
Mmetal's Avatar Mmetal
08:35 AM Liked: 10
post #143 of 747
07-03-2011 | Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre325 View Post

I'd be careful with a Sony sub. If you have very low expectations then it may suffice. On the subs forum, there's tons of threads dedicated to cheap subs. BIC, Lava, and Emotiva all have some options, but you might have to raise the budget a little (but a small increase in your budget will get you much more for your money in an Internet direct sub compared to that Sony).

what other sub would you recommend if i can raise the budget to say 400?`
Kini62's Avatar Kini62
10:43 AM Liked: 430
post #144 of 747
07-03-2011 | Posts: 3,357
Quote:

what other sub would you recommend if i can raise the budget to say 400?`

Any of these

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfmcompact.html

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=406

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=892

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=407

Rythmik and HSU and Epik all start at over $400.

Cruise the sub forum for other brands that may meet your $$$ requirements.
Gene
rd7723's Avatar rd7723
12:59 PM Liked: 10
post #145 of 747
07-03-2011 | Posts: 122
I searched the entire thread, i cant get any sound from my two rear speakers in a 7.1 one setup. Anyone else had this issue or know how to correct it/ thanks for any reply.
kcgr's Avatar kcgr
05:58 PM Liked: 12
post #146 of 747
07-03-2011 | Posts: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd7723 View Post

I searched the entire thread, i cant get any sound from my two rear speakers in a 7.1 one setup. Anyone else had this issue or know how to correct it/ thanks for any reply.

do you get test tone when you run the speaker setup (audyssey)? I don't recall having to do anything special.
rd7723's Avatar rd7723
06:53 PM Liked: 10
post #147 of 747
07-03-2011 | Posts: 122
thnx kcgr, the speakers show up during the tone test but when i play a movie, game etc it only does 5.1
kcgr's Avatar kcgr
09:17 PM Liked: 12
post #148 of 747
07-03-2011 | Posts: 401
Quote:

Quote:

thnx kcgr, the speakers show up during the tone test but when i play a movie, game etc it only does 5.1

if it is a 5.1 source, you'll prolly only get 5.1, unless you use dolby PLIIx, which will matrix the sound (I guess that is the term) to the rear 2, turning 5.1 into 7.1

I'm not sure if you can bitstream and do it. I have the "phat ps3" which only does pcm, so perhaps it can matrix a pcm signal (decoded on ps3) and not a bitstreamed one (decoded at at onkyo). I haven't checked the manual to verify this tho. If you have a blu-ray player that can pcm and bitstream, try both options.
Mmetal's Avatar Mmetal
09:48 PM Liked: 10
post #149 of 747
07-03-2011 | Posts: 21
I just noticed the sound on most of HD channels is not so uniform.. voice keeps dipping and I could not find the right option to set to..
on the remote, there are buttons for movie/tv...music...game..stereo...
which one to set to what for best sound while watching tv? I understand it is personal preference, but how to avoid voice dipping down?
E-JTL's Avatar E-JTL
07:19 AM Liked: 10
post #150 of 747
07-04-2011 | Posts: 384
Quote:

I just noticed the sound on most of HD channels is not so uniform.. voice keeps dipping and I could not find the right option to set to..
on the remote, there are buttons for movie/tv...music...game..stereo...
which one to set to what for best sound while watching tv? I understand it is personal preference, but how to avoid voice dipping down?

Do you have the dynamic range control on?

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Subscribe to this Thread