Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 747 Old 07-04-2011, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-JTL View Post

Do you have the dynamic range control on?

Edit...it's called dynamic volume.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 747 Old 07-04-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-JTL View Post

Edit...it's called dynamic volume.

I have dynamic Audyssey
post #153 of 747 Old 07-04-2011, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey thanks for all of your help kcgr, i figured it out.
post #154 of 747 Old 07-04-2011, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 View Post

Just got my 360 @ Fry's yesterday, an early b-day present. I finally got my ARC to work with my LG55LW5600, "Simplink" was the key. My other LGs i had in the past had a link under the menu, osd, but this one only has it on the remote.

I'm having problems connecting it to my Fios Router, everything else, like my TV automatically detected the settings and locked them in. The 360 does not do it?!? I have it connected directly to the router.

I downloaded the latest FW, and used a USB to upload it to the AVR. It would be nice, or maybe i overlooked, if they listed the fixes on their site, from prev fw to new 1.

If i turn off RIHD, will my vudu streaming still come through the ARC into the AVR?

Under 4-5, picture adjust, if you have it at "Through" it will take whatever input signal and change it to the resolution you selected from prev. menu item right? and "Direct" will just do a 'native-pass thru' right?

when i have it set to either 1080/60/24p, shouldn't it clean up the jaggies & other artifacts? from time to time still see some jaggies here & there on my Fios STB/DirecT STB hd/sd programming. Or does this upscaler only clean non-digital, like component sources, it doesn't clean the HDMI sources, just changes the rez?

I have 4 hdmis input, fios stb, satellite stb, Blu-Ray player, pc, but i can only access menu while AVR mode is set to my Fios STB. Sometimes, the OSD, on other sources I can get rid of the bar, which displays volume level & other things. It always stays on the screen, so i had to toggle off the OSD in the menu. any thoughts on this?

Currently, i am w/out a 'center' speaker(1 on the way), is there anyway to hear dialogue, without setting it to 'All Channel Stereo'? When we have it on Dolby Digital, most times we can't hear folks talking, just the other things in the background.

Thanks.................

Just picked my 360 up Friday, too. Got it for 250 at Fry's...helluva deal for the features.

If you go to the update page for the receiver on the Onkyo site, there is a link for a pdf that shows all the firmware revisions.

I've been really happy w/ mine so far. I purchased the HT-S5300 back in October and was dissappointed w/ the receiver (r580) that came with the system. I know the speakers need some work, but I have to say that I'm pretty happy w/ the improvements the Audessy auto-calibrate made. It definitely sounds better than before. Awesome receiver and it leaves me room to grow as I start upgrading my speakers.
post #155 of 747 Old 07-05-2011, 04:43 AM

Does anyone have a problem with not having a display on the receiver itself? I have no problem with the OSD but my HT-RC360 is just completely blank on the front display.
post #156 of 747 Old 07-05-2011, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspfunk View Post

Just picked my 360 up Friday, too. Got it for 250 at Fry's...helluva deal for the features.

If you go to the update page for the receiver on the Onkyo site, there is a link for a pdf that shows all the firmware revisions.

I've been really happy w/ mine so far. I purchased the HT-S5300 back in October and was dissappointed w/ the receiver (r580) that came with the system. I know the speakers need some work, but I have to say that I'm pretty happy w/ the improvements the Audessy auto-calibrate made. It definitely sounds better than before. Awesome receiver and it leaves me room to grow as I start upgrading my speakers.

As a general rule, invest at least two-thirds of your purchase on the speakers and only one third to one quarter on your receiver. Speakers play a much more significant role in determining sound quality than the receiver itself.
post #157 of 747 Old 07-05-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post
As a general rule, invest at least two-thirds of your purchase on the speakers and only one third to one quarter on your receiver. Speakers play a much more significant role in determining sound quality than the receiver itself.
I completely agree. In my case, I didn't have a budget at all considering I wasn't really planning on upgrading. I came across the deal on the receiver and was interested b/c I can sell my R580 for a little less than what I paid for the 360 and not be out much $$. The extra features are worth way more than that to me right now...I hated that the R580 didn't have the auto-calibration option....

I'm in the last year of paying off some student loans, so hopefully I will be able to upgrade the speakers next year when some extra money is freed up.
post #158 of 747 Old 07-05-2011, 09:54 AM

I've seen a few people asking about dB levels and having to turn the volume way up, so I thought I'd add my $.02.

I'm am in no way an audiophile or pro, just an enthusiast.

Let me first say that I have had no issues, as of yet, like some have mentioned in the posts prior to mine. I purchased my 360 on July 1, 2011, so it likely has one of the newer firmware revisions (but I haven't checked yet). I have my slim PS3 and DTV HR-22 DVR hooked up to it and have had no problems. I also have the iPhone dock and it works w/o issue. In fact, the on-screen navigation is awesome!!

As far as the volume goes, I ran the auto calibration w/ the mic when I finished setting everything up. I did the longer test so it would do the different listening positions since we have a sectional in our living room.

Speaker Distance: They were pretty close overall, but I went thru and evened them up since I know that each pair (fronts, front highs, surrounds) is basically going to have the same distance.

dB Levels: I noticed the same thing that a lot of others have mentioned: the speakers were all set somewhere from -12dB to -7dB. I kept the difference in levels the same, but increased the overall dB levels so that the highest one was at 0. So if the center channel was the highest at -7, I made it 0 and raised the others up 7dB.

Dynamic Volume: I found this to be an issue on my previous Onkyo receiver as well... After finishing the above calibrations, I turned on the dynamic volume, but kept it on Light. This makes the biggest difference, from my observations.

Before I made my own adjustments, the volume was in the mid-50's for regular TV and was loud, but not obnoxious. Now, it is at the same level when the volume is in the low-mid 30's.

Like I mentioned before, I'm no expert. I'll keep updating as I have more time to play w/ this receiver. So far though, I love it!
post #159 of 747 Old 07-05-2011, 02:02 PM

Amazon has the Onkyo HT-RC360 on sale today for $345.

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-RC360...d=GNR38ZYI7MYB
post #160 of 747 Old 07-05-2011, 02:29 PM

Well I am happy to say I placed my order for one of these bad boys yesterday from Newegg for 350. I had an Onkyo HT-S6100 from 2 years ago but I decided to try my hand at assembling my own HT system, and will now use the HTIB system as a 5.1 in my bedroom. Along with the Onkyo receiver I purchased the following.

Left/Right: Polk Monitor 50s
Center: Polk CS2
Back Left/Right: Polk Monitor 30s
Bass: Bic America F12

It seems like it is a great receiver that offered so many more options in my price range compared to everyone else so I had to go with it. My only major concern is the heating issue since I am going to have the receiver in kind of a confined space because the only shelf it will fit in is the bottom of my tv stand so it will only have an inch or 2 clearance from the shelf above it. Its not really enclosed since the universal stand is open on all sides. When I finally get moved in my new place next month for the first few days I was going to play close attention to the heating issue to see if it would be fine or if I needed to try to figure out a fix. My question what is a normal temp range for this device?
post #161 of 747 Old 07-05-2011, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwpt03 View Post

Does anyone have a problem with not having a display on the receiver itself? I have no problem with the OSD but my HT-RC360 is just completely blank on the front display.

sounds like a bad unit
post #162 of 747 Old 07-06-2011, 08:10 AM

Looking at this a/v and the nr609. On amazon they are priced 100 dollars apart. Is the 609 worth the extra 100 to get the thx certification?
post #163 of 747 Old 07-06-2011, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilik64 View Post

Looking at this a/v and the nr609. On amazon they are priced 100 dollars apart. Is the 609 worth the extra 100 to get the thx certification?

In my opinion, No. The next upgrade would be the 370 as it adds Audyssey MultiEQ XT with better filters, more positions, and EQ for subs.
post #164 of 747 Old 07-06-2011, 09:06 PM

At first I thought it was due to shaky cable (comcast) signal, but the picture jitters on every input (have WDTV and PS3). I've turned the processing off and such but makes no difference. it's hooked up to a samsung D8000. Anyone else with this issue?

too bad newegg doesn't do refunds, only an exchange but gotta pay $43 shipping !?
post #165 of 747 Old 07-06-2011, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd2005 View Post

At first I thought it was due to shaky cable (comcast) signal, but the picture jitters on every input (have WDTV and PS3). I've turned the processing off and such but makes no difference. it's hooked up to a samsung D8000. Anyone else with this issue?

too bad newegg doesn't do refunds, only an exchange but gotta pay $43 shipping !?

Newegg will malfunctioning units. This is the kind of gremlin that will be hard to diagnose. best advice is to exchange it.
post #166 of 747 Old 07-07-2011, 01:42 PM

I got mine last week from amazon, set it up with polk in-wall speakers. Hooked up media center thru hdmi1 and use projector for display. upgraded to latest firmware via net. Played a dvd stored in my home server and all was well. Played Blue-Ray over the network from my home server with volume around 50 and heard loud pops every couple of mins... the pop's existed even at lower volumes.... i dont know what might be the problem, please help. Is it speaker issue or receiver issue? sound goes thru hdmi. I have not tried optical yet to see if popping exists in optical.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
post #167 of 747 Old 07-07-2011, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumallik View Post

I got mine last week from amazon, set it up with polk in-wall speakers. Hooked up media center thru hdmi1 and use projector for display. upgraded to latest firmware via net. Played a dvd stored in my home server and all was well. Played Blue-Ray over the network from my home server with volume around 50 and heard loud pops every couple of mins... the pop's existed even at lower volumes.... i dont know what might be the problem, please help. Is it speaker issue or receiver issue? sound goes thru hdmi. I have not tried optical yet to see if popping exists in optical.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Probably source related if the pops do not appear from other sources (ie directly from blu ray player or cable box).
post #168 of 747 Old 07-07-2011, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I just picked up the 360 and am having a weird HDMI issue with it and my Samsung SP-H710ae projector.

The projector's DVI port will work (with an adapter) when connected directly with my Samsung BD-P1600 Blu-Ray player however when I run the signal through the RC360 (with the output set to "Monitor" and "Through") the projector just displays the "format not supported" error on screen.

The RC360 will work as an HDMI switch for my HD DVD player, HD Tivo and HD DISH box without issue but no matter which port I run things through the Samsung Blu-Ray player just will not get a good signal to the projector.

I've swapped cables and ports all around to no avail.

Any ideas as to where the problem lies?
post #169 of 747 Old 07-08-2011, 09:14 AM

Hey guys... long time since I've been here.

I got an RC360 a couple weeks ago. Here's how I have it hooked up:

Time Warner HD DVR hdmi out to RC360 hdmi input
Xbox 360 hdmi out to RC360 hdmi input
Sony BluRay hdmi out to RC360 input
and RC360 output via hdmi to Samsung 50" 720p DLP.

Problem I'm having now is at some point (and I'm not sure if it was me fiddling with settings on the RC360 or not) the audio output from the TV speakers is now bad when the receiver is turned off. With the receiver on the audio coming from the receiver speakers is fine. With the receiver off the audio is set to come from the TV and its bad.

I'd like to reserve the receiver for movies or special TV viewing and watch TV normally without having to use the receiver but with the audio like this thats not going to work.

Can't really describe how the audio is, its almost like some of the higher frequencies are gone. At first I thought I somehow messed up the tv speakers but I've tested them by connecting things directly and the audio is fine then.

Any clues as to what to look for?

It's not the cable box as the BluRay and Xbox have the same issue.

Thanks!
post #170 of 747 Old 07-11-2011, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luclin999 View Post

I just picked up the 360 and am having a weird HDMI issue with it and my Samsung SP-H710ae projector.

The projector's DVI port will work (with an adapter) when connected directly with my Samsung BD-P1600 Blu-Ray player however when I run the signal through the RC360 (with the output set to "Monitor" and "Through") the projector just displays the "format not supported" error on screen.

The RC360 will work as an HDMI switch for my HD DVD player, HD Tivo and HD DISH box without issue but no matter which port I run things through the Samsung Blu-Ray player just will not get a good signal to the projector.

Thinking the adapter is creating handshake issues samsung going through the onkyo. Hopefully onkyo can create a patch around that. Are you on the latest firmware? See if there is one for the samsung.

You may have to hook up the blu ray via component to the projector. And digital it out to the 360.

Or maybe you can buy a different adapter. That's something to research.

Edit:
Did some research the blu ray player doesnt have a repeater and is causing the the issues. It's not slowing the handshake through the avr. Aka. Not onkyos fault. You will see this problem through any avr.
post #171 of 747 Old 07-11-2011, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luclin999 View Post

Did some research. Its the blu ray player. It doesn't have a repeater to allow handshaking through the avr. Not onkyos fault. You will have the same problem with any avr. Sorry dude. Guess it's straight to the projector with the blu ray. Hopefully it has optical audio out. No video processing with the onkyo, but I don't think your loosing much.
post #172 of 747 Old 07-21-2011, 03:30 PM

On the Onkyo website comparison for the two models, the 360 is shown it can be wirelessly connected to internet radio via the USB port and optional Onkyo UFW-1. The more expensive 370 does not. Is this an error?
post #173 of 747 Old 07-21-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard G. Krebs View Post

On the Onkyo website comparison for the two models, the 360 is shown it can be wirelessly connected to internet radio via the USB port and optional Onkyo UFW-1. The more expensive 370 does not. Is this an error?

Yes. The 370 can. I have both and would highly recommend the 370. MultEQ XT is worth the price difference alone.
post #174 of 747 Old 07-21-2011, 06:51 PM

Thanks bb. I was about to pull the trigger on the 370 today but stopped short when I saw the discrepancy on Onkyo's site. Being able to access wireless internet radio is a "must have".
post #175 of 747 Old 07-21-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard G. Krebs View Post

Thanks bb. I was about to pull the trigger on the 370 today but stopped short when I saw the discrepancy on Onkyo's site. Being able to access wireless internet radio is a "must have".

No Problem. Congrats on your future 370. I didn't buy it for the Internet radio but I do find myself using it quite a bit now . I've been listening to quite a few British Radio stations I had completely forgot about. They also just added Spootify capability as well with the latest firmware.
post #176 of 747 Old 07-21-2011, 10:57 PM

Hello All,

I am hoping someone might have experienced similar...

First, my setup:

My home was pre-wired for 3 pairs of speakers (Kitchen, Family Room, and Deck). They set it up such that the built-in cabinet in the family room has 1 wire, that runs to a 'structured wiring' box in the wash room.
In that same 'structured wiring' box is where the other 3 pairs of speaker wiring begin.
Each of those wires goes to a 'volume control' spot and from there to the speaker locations.

Onkyo HT-RC360
Speaker wire is ONLY connected to LF and RF (though tommorrow a sub woofer is arriving to be hooked up). Receiver is in a built-into-the-wall cabinet below the television. The shelf it is on currently, allows it about 5-8 inches of space above it. We leave the cabinet door open when the unit is turned on.

Speaker Sets:
Family Room: Polk Audio rc85i in-wall speakers (8 ohm)
Kitchen: Polk Audio rc80i in-ceiling speakers (8 ohm)
Deck: Cheap brand (Element) outdoor speakers (rated 4-6 ohms) (got several years ago when Circuit City was going out of business)

In Structured Wiring box: all sets of wires are 'color-matched' and connected directly with a wire nut (so 4 wire nuts: Red, White, Black, Green wires). Was recommended by builder's current lo-volt contractor (in lieu of spending money on a on-q audio splitter module).

Between each wire run (between wiring box and speakers): an impedance matching volume control has been installed (based on the instructions, all 3 were configured to a '4x' setting which compensates for 2 paris of 8 ohm and 1 pair between 4-6 ohm).

Now, the audio coming out from the Polk's and the Onkyo is amazing! I also got this particular model for the networking and video upscaling capabilities... for now, no home theater configuration is in the plans, but we will use it to watch television in a 2.1 configuration in the Family room and while listening to music in the kitchen.

The issue:
issue occurrence 1: We were streaming the World Cup final match from a laptop (via HDMI) through the receiver to the television. The volume was turned up between 50-60 to help everyone here (my wife invited a group of friends over for the game). My wife said that it cut off a little after half-time. The receiver literally shut-down. After a minute or so, they were able to get it started again, but the volume did not return. The volume eventually returned later (i.e. when I got home and tested it). Upon looking over everything, the family room impedance matching volume control was not set at the maximum, which I assumed forced them to crank the volume on the receiver higher. So, I assumed this was a fluke and instructed my wife that we should always turn the impedance matching volume control to its maximum first, then adjust the receiver volume appropriately. I tested it for several hours at lower volumes that night without any re-occurrence of this problem.

issue occurrence 2: tonight, we were playing with a new apple tv that I had purchased and hooked to the unit (main purpose being for airplay)... also like the fact that the Onkyo would up-convert the Apple TV's 720p to 1080p. It played music videos just fine for about an hour, then we put on Tangled to watch. At this point, we had the volume somewhere between 40 and 50. Tangled played for about 1 hour or so when all of a sudden, the unit turned off. After about 30 seconds, I tried to turn it back on... at this point a message appeared that said "Check SP wire" or similar message. I left it off for about 1 minutes, then turned it back on, reduced the volume significantly and it stayed on this time, however the sound was NOT being output. About 1 minute after it had turned off, the sound came back in just fine. I reduced the volume into the 30s and we had no more problems for the night. I did feel on top of the unit and it was quite warm (hot).

questions:
1) Do you think the heat triggered the shutdown?
2) What else could cause it?
3) How does have 3 pairs of speakers wired up to it affect / stress the receiver?
4) Should I purchase some sort of fan to blow air into (or out) of the receiver?
5) Any other thoughts or suggestions?
post #177 of 747 Old 07-23-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silgurdar View Post
Hello all,

I am also one of the lucky ones that managed to grab the 360 from the $299 sale at Fry's. I bought it couple of weeks ago when they had their anniversary sale and I have been very satisfied with it!

I have couple of questions, though. I have read all the posts on this thread and the questions are:

1) How do you enable the temperature display on the front panel like Dcmkx2000 shows in the picture? I tried to find it from the manual but was not able to find it. Mind you, I do not think I have any temperature issues with the receiver, though. When I test the surface temperature, it is not hot at all. The geek in me just would like to know every little feature of the receiver.

2) This might be a tricky one and maybe will not have any good solution. I have Samsung's LCD TV (UN55C8000) and I want to use its NetFlix, Vudu, etc. features so using the Audio Return Channel is very important to me so that I can hear the sound from the TV through my receiver. It works really nicely and I have no problems with it.

I also have Logitech's Harmony One remote control.

The problem is that whenever I use the Harmony One to power everything on and start watching TV (I have TiVo for watching TV), play PS3, watch Blue-ray movie, etc. I see everything is powered on correctly and I see the correct HDMI input is chosen on the receiver. After a second or so, when the TV finally turns on, the receiver detects the TV and automatically switches to 'TV/CD' mode, hence I hear no sound or in the case of PS3 or Blue-ray, I see incorrect picture. I have to either use the Harmony One's 'Help' button which will switch the input back to the correct HDMI input, or use the receiver's remote to switch the input there. Neither one of them is very elegant solution.

I have read both the TV's and receiver's manuals to find out if there was a way to disable this automatic input selection when a device is powered on, but the only way I can do it is by disabling RIHD on the receiver, or by disabling CEC on the TV. Both of these actions will also disable Audio Return Channel so they will not be good options for me.

Does anyone else have a similiar problem? Is there a good solution for it?

I think I should be able to configure the Harmony One to wait for second or two and then do an additional mode switch action to switch the receiver back to the correct input, but that would mean I would have to keep the remote pointed toward the TV for those couple of additional seconds which would not be that convenient.

By the way, this issue only happens when I turn everything on. If I go from watching TV to watching Blue-ray and the TV was already on, everything works just fine.

I did reconfigure the Harmony One to first turn on the TV and last turn on the receiver, but that did not help. They are all turned on quickly enough that the TV is still waking up when the receiver is already on.

Quite frankly, I cannot fathom a scenario where anyone would like to have the receiver switch into 'TV/CD' mode when the TV is turned on. I am sure 99.9% of the people who use a receiver like this will have a cable box / Tivo for watching TV so why would the receiver assume that turning on the TV means someone wants to use the 'TV/CD' mode of the receiver? Or maybe I have misunderstood something completely.

For the record, I have my TiVo configured to use the 'CBL/SAT' mode and the 'TV/CD' is used when I use the TV's own apps, like NetFlix, Vudu, etc. I assume it is the 'RIHD' / 'CEC' features that automatically switch into this mode when I use these apps on the TV (the Audio Return Channel only works when you are in the 'TV/CD' mode).

Sorry about the long winded post. I wanted to explain everything in as much detail as possible to avoid any misunderstandings.

Thanks!
Yea if you use a harmony remote then you don't need the receiver auto switching.

Simply go to setup, 7. Hardware Setup, 3. HDMI, and make sure HDMI Control (RIHD) is off.

That should resolve you issues.

Fotomane
post #178 of 747 Old 07-23-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capezio49er View Post
Hello All,

I am hoping someone might have experienced similar...

First, my setup:

My home was pre-wired for 3 pairs of speakers (Kitchen, Family Room, and Deck). They set it up such that the built-in cabinet in the family room has 1 wire, that runs to a 'structured wiring' box in the wash room.
In that same 'structured wiring' box is where the other 3 pairs of speaker wiring begin.
Each of those wires goes to a 'volume control' spot and from there to the speaker locations.

Onkyo HT-RC360
Speaker wire is ONLY connected to LF and RF (though tommorrow a sub woofer is arriving to be hooked up). Receiver is in a built-into-the-wall cabinet below the television. The shelf it is on currently, allows it about 5-8 inches of space above it. We leave the cabinet door open when the unit is turned on.

Speaker Sets:
Family Room: Polk Audio rc85i in-wall speakers (8 ohm)
Kitchen: Polk Audio rc80i in-ceiling speakers (8 ohm)
Deck: Cheap brand (Element) outdoor speakers (rated 4-6 ohms) (got several years ago when Circuit City was going out of business)

In Structured Wiring box: all sets of wires are 'color-matched' and connected directly with a wire nut (so 4 wire nuts: Red, White, Black, Green wires). Was recommended by builder's current lo-volt contractor (in lieu of spending money on a on-q audio splitter module).

Between each wire run (between wiring box and speakers): an impedance matching volume control has been installed (based on the instructions, all 3 were configured to a '4x' setting which compensates for 2 paris of 8 ohm and 1 pair between 4-6 ohm).

Now, the audio coming out from the Polk's and the Onkyo is amazing! I also got this particular model for the networking and video upscaling capabilities... for now, no home theater configuration is in the plans, but we will use it to watch television in a 2.1 configuration in the Family room and while listening to music in the kitchen.

The issue:
issue occurrence 1: We were streaming the World Cup final match from a laptop (via HDMI) through the receiver to the television. The volume was turned up between 50-60 to help everyone here (my wife invited a group of friends over for the game). My wife said that it cut off a little after half-time. The receiver literally shut-down. After a minute or so, they were able to get it started again, but the volume did not return. The volume eventually returned later (i.e. when I got home and tested it). Upon looking over everything, the family room impedance matching volume control was not set at the maximum, which I assumed forced them to crank the volume on the receiver higher. So, I assumed this was a fluke and instructed my wife that we should always turn the impedance matching volume control to its maximum first, then adjust the receiver volume appropriately. I tested it for several hours at lower volumes that night without any re-occurrence of this problem.

issue occurrence 2: tonight, we were playing with a new apple tv that I had purchased and hooked to the unit (main purpose being for airplay)... also like the fact that the Onkyo would up-convert the Apple TV's 720p to 1080p. It played music videos just fine for about an hour, then we put on Tangled to watch. At this point, we had the volume somewhere between 40 and 50. Tangled played for about 1 hour or so when all of a sudden, the unit turned off. After about 30 seconds, I tried to turn it back on... at this point a message appeared that said "Check SP wire" or similar message. I left it off for about 1 minutes, then turned it back on, reduced the volume significantly and it stayed on this time, however the sound was NOT being output. About 1 minute after it had turned off, the sound came back in just fine. I reduced the volume into the 30s and we had no more problems for the night. I did feel on top of the unit and it was quite warm (hot).

questions:
1) Do you think the heat triggered the shutdown?
2) What else could cause it?
3) How does have 3 pairs of speakers wired up to it affect / stress the receiver?
4) Should I purchase some sort of fan to blow air into (or out) of the receiver?
5) Any other thoughts or suggestions?
Your volume controls may be a problem, Have you measured the impedance? Also make sure your speaker wire isn't too small, I use a good 16 GA for my satellites. Also you need adequate ventilation with this receiver. It is not recommended to have any Onkyo receiver in a cabinet. This is the standard for Onkyo (They Get Hot). The HT-RC360 has a fan in it to balance the temp, but it cannot compensate when placed in a cabinet. You should have at least 3" from the top of the unit to the top shelf.

So with a DVOM check the impedance (Ohms) on your speaker wires at the receiver. Disconnected from receiver but connected to the speaker. You should read between 6.2 and 7.8 for an 8 Ohm speaker. If much higher or lower than you have a problem.
post #179 of 747 Old 07-24-2011, 01:46 PM
c0w

Is it possible to play downloaded DTS albums through a usb drive? I downloaded an album and the file is just one .avi file... I tried playing the file but all i hear is the static. I even changed the sound mode to the DTS Neo: 6 Music and still no music but static. Any suggestions????
post #180 of 747 Old 07-25-2011, 08:43 AM

If you have purchased one of these receivers I'm curious to know if you also paid for an extended warranty? I've always avoided them but I'm a little gun shy after my low-hour but out-of-warranty Yamaha went belly up.

Can I trust the current Onkyos or should I get some insurance? A third party 5 year warranty is offered for $90.00 that includes shipping.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page