Onkyo HT-RC360/370 - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 739 Old 07-25-2011, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Onkyos come with a 2 year warranty. I get a 3rd year through my Credit Card. 3 years at no cost is pretty decent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 739 Old 07-25-2011, 11:58 AM
c0w

ok I just burned the DTS avi music album onto a cd and tried playing from my ps3 but still all I get is static. How do you guys play your DTS music? What am I doing wrong here?
post #183 of 739 Old 07-25-2011, 02:07 PM

If I have a 3D TV, is it highly recommended to purchase a 3D capable receiver such as this one? Would it not be advisable to route the signal from Blu-Ray > TV > Receiver for Audio?
post #184 of 739 Old 07-25-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodnarb788 View Post

If I have a 3D TV, is it highly recommended to purchase a 3D capable receiver such as this one? Would it not be advisable to route the signal from Blu-Ray > TV > Receiver for Audio?

Blu ray to tv to receiver will usually just get you 2 channel PCM sound. You have to go through the receiver to get all the surround sound and lossless formats.
post #185 of 739 Old 07-26-2011, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I cannot make up my mind

-The Onkyo rc370 for $530 from amazon
-The Denon 1912 for $550 from amazon
-The Pioneer 1021-K for $497 from amazon

I just upgraded my set to 3d, and now need a new receiver. I have a 606 onkyo right now, went through the headache with the hdmi boards on those things about a year ago, and am pretty skeptical when it comes to going the onkyo route. Can you guys sell me on this one? I like how its THX certified, but to be honest I know a hell of a lot more about video than the audio department. I like the options of airplay on the Pioneer and Denon, but its not a deal breaker, if I want to listen to my iphone I'll just plug it up into the receiver and problem solved.
post #186 of 739 Old 07-26-2011, 04:40 PM

HT-RC360

Did not know this;
In Setup->Hardware->Network
scroll down and enable network control
write down the port number
default is 60128

Get the ip address of your receiver, mine is 192.168.0.179.
open up a telnet prompt
in win7
c>telnet 192.168.0.179 60128

change the volume on the reciever.
see the message appear on the telnet screen.
cool
This means that this sub 300 receiver understands ISCP (Integra Service Control Prototocol)
I've had great eye opening fun googling Onkyo + telnet + iscp in various combinations
found programs written to control much more expensive receivers than this one

How can I use this? Control the receiver/vtuner/dlna playback from my desk I guess.
neat trick though

maybe I'll get more out it as I learn more about iscp. found an old spreadsheet on line that lists many of the commands.
post #187 of 739 Old 07-26-2011, 04:41 PM

1. Onkyo Ht-RC360 $350 at Amazon
2. Onkyo tx-sr309 $200 at Amazon

3. Onkyo TX-NR509 $280 at Amazon

Two important features to me are 3D-Compatible and Audio-Return capable, which all three have. The cheapest (sr309) doesn't have an Ethernet port, but not sure if that's necessary, as other devices will be connected.

Thoughts?
post #188 of 739 Old 07-26-2011, 05:13 PM

The ethernet is what makes the ht-rc360 so fascinating to me. I really like vTuner and DLNA (internet radio 18,000+ stations and playing my digital music from pc on the house speakers and amp)
If you live near a Frye's Electronics watch their sales. I paid 299 for mine in June and have seen them as one day sales even cheaper.

The Blu-Ray and the flat screen both have internet capabilities. All have DLNA but the receiver has more music options vTuner, Mediafly, and the pay services like Napster, Slacker, Spotify. The Blu-Ray does have Pandora as does the Onkyo reciever.
post #189 of 739 Old 07-26-2011, 07:15 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedBPhx View Post

HT-RC360

Did not know this;
In Setup->Hardware->Network
scroll down and enable network control
write down the port number
default is 60128

Get the ip address of your receiver, mine is 192.168.0.179.
open up a telnet prompt
in win7
c>telnet 192.168.0.179 60128

change the volume on the reciever.
see the message appear on the telnet screen.
cool
This means that this sub 300 receiver understands ISCP (Integra Service Control Prototocol)
I've had great eye opening fun googling Onkyo + telnet + iscp in various combinations
found programs written to control much more expensive receivers than this one

How can I use this? Control the receiver/vtuner/dlna playback from my desk I guess.
neat trick though

maybe I'll get more out it as I learn more about iscp. found an old spreadsheet on line that lists many of the commands.

I noted in an earlier post that there is an android app called onkytroller that allows an android device to control the unit. Plus, Onkyo will release their own app in August to do the same. Maybe those would be easier to use depending on what you have laying around.
post #190 of 739 Old 07-26-2011, 10:17 PM

Sorry I missed your earlier post.
I guess using a cell phone would be handy if say zone2 was out to the patio and one wanted to change the station or volume without going in to grab the remote.
post #191 of 739 Old 07-27-2011, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey guys - I have had the RC360 for almost a month, now. Got it at Fry's on July 4th. It's been great for me, although a bit hot in my cabinet. But the past week or so, my TV has started randomly turning on and off. I have a Samsung 46" TV that's a couple of years old, but we've never had this problem. The first time we noticed it was when my kids were playing the wii through the new receiver and upscaled to the tv with the doors on the cabinet closed (so the receiver was probably getting pretty hot). I then moved the wii to go directly into the tv and thought that might have fixed it, but last night the tv did it again when I turned on the satellite receiver (the Onkyo receiver wasn't even on - I have hdmi passive-through on the Onkyo for the satellite receiver). So, now I'm not sure if the problem is the tv or the receiver and since it only happens at random times, I'm not sure exactly how to find out which. Any suggestions?
post #192 of 739 Old 07-27-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnrbradley View Post
Hey guys - I have had the RC360 for almost a month, now. Got it at Fry's on July 4th. It's been great for me, although a bit hot in my cabinet. But the past week or so, my TV has started randomly turning on and off. I have a Samsung 46" TV that's a couple of years old, but we've never had this problem. The first time we noticed it was when my kids were playing the wii through the new receiver and upscaled to the tv with the doors on the cabinet closed (so the receiver was probably getting pretty hot). I then moved the wii to go directly into the tv and thought that might have fixed it, but last night the tv did it again when I turned on the satellite receiver (the Onkyo receiver wasn't even on - I have hdmi passive-through on the Onkyo for the satellite receiver). So, now I'm not sure if the problem is the tv or the receiver and since it only happens at random times, I'm not sure exactly how to find out which. Any suggestions?
Hi, go to receiver setup -> hardware and turn off the option for RFID. IF It's on, the receiver turn the TV on when you turn it on.
post #193 of 739 Old 07-27-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateusfig View Post
Hi, go to receiver setup -> hardware and turn off the option for RFID. IF It's on, the receiver turn the TV on when you turn it on.
Yeah, I thought of that as well and RFID is definitely turned off. Also, the tv is rebooting, in essence. It will be on and then it will turn off and then back on again. This seems to happen when I try to change the source from game to satellite on the tv. I press the source button and it acts like it is frozen and then reboots, but other times it seems like it will restart on it's own (off and then on again) with nobody pressing any remotes. I also made sure that the batteries in all of my remotes were replaced just in case a low battery might be firing false on/off signals to the tv...
post #194 of 739 Old 07-27-2011, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:

Yeah, I thought of that as well and RFID is definitely turned off. Also, the tv is rebooting, in essence. It will be on and then it will turn off and then back on again. This seems to happen when I try to change the source from game to satellite on the tv. I press the source button and it acts like it is frozen and then reboots, but other times it seems like it will restart on it's own (off and then on again) with nobody pressing any remotes. I also made sure that the batteries in all of my remotes were replaced just in case a low battery might be firing false on/off signals to the tv...

Hi mnrbradley, when you say off & on ... does the tv power off and on or the picture reboots off & on but tv power stays on? If the latter, depending on your tv model there's a possible chance it has enter what they call "Store Demo" or "Shop" mode. Check your tv menu settings.
post #195 of 739 Old 07-27-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi mnrbradley, when you say off & on ... does the tv power off and on or the picture reboots off & on but tv power stays on? If the latter, depending on your tv model there's a possible chance it has enter what they call "Store Demo" or "Shop" mode. Check your tv menu settings.

The tv is actually turning off and then on. On my Samsung tv, the light turns red when it is off and then it blinks while the tv is turning on. So, what happens is that the tv will be on and then it will shut off and the light will turn red and then it will start blinking and then the tv will be back on.
post #196 of 739 Old 07-27-2011, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:

The tv is actually turning off and then on. On my Samsung tv, the light turns red when it is off and then it blinks while the tv is turning on. So, what happens is that the tv will be on and then it will shut off and the light will turn red and then it will start blinking and then the tv will be back on.

If you can duplicate this problem without the receiver connected then its a tv issue. Suggest posting the question in the respective tv models' thread.
post #197 of 739 Old 07-28-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

If you can duplicate this problem without the receiver connected then its a tv issue. Suggest posting the question in the respective tv models' thread.

Yeah - I'll keep messing with it. The problem is that I can't duplicate it without the receiver, but I don't know if that's because it's so intermittent or because it's the receiver causing it.

On a side-note, I reset my receiver last night because the 'Net' button wasn't working, either. It was just a blue screen. And a few times when this tv off/on issue happened, the screen looked really garbled right before the tv turned off. I think somehow the receiver got into a bad state. Resetting the receiver fixed the Net button and so far we haven't seen any problems with the tv resetting.
post #198 of 739 Old 07-28-2011, 07:58 AM

I posted this question yesterday on the NX609 thread as the RC360 is a near equal machine, however, I'd like any feedback other 360/370 owners may have.

I purchased an Onkyo HT RC360 at a very good price and installed it last weekend. I’ve downloaded the most recent firmware and all features seem to work as advertised. I am pleased with the machine with only two reservations. First there appears to be a slight lag in the sound (lip sync) when viewed on the monitor using pass-through and second the machine generates a great deal of heat even in stand-by. I’ve heard that Onkyo’s generate more heat than many popular receivers but I wasn’t prepared to see 101 degrees F in stand-by (~120 – 122 F at listening volume in 5.1). The receiver is mounted in the same difficult-to-ventilate home entertainment center as was my 10 year old Sony ES which ran at about the same temperature under load but was near ambient temperature in stand-by.

I have 3” USB powered fan in the cell above the receiver but this does not move much air or lower the temperature on stand-by and I open the door to this cell when using the receiver. This lowers the temperature to approximately 112 degrees F.

My questions are: does this sound typical of Onkyo receivers (in stand-by) and do you think constant exposure to 100 + temperature will be harmful to the receiver? I've read elsewhere that this machine pulls 45W (!) in stand-by and even more with the WiFi bug installed.

The lip sync issue is minor, only present in pass-through and variable to content so I am living with it in hopes future firmware updates will correct the small lag.
post #199 of 739 Old 07-28-2011, 02:43 PM

Mine is not that warm in standby. It seems to be at ambient actually.
For the first couple of weeks it ran hot to the point of putting the smell of burning insulation in the air but that phase is over. It no longer seems so extreme to me. Had it since the middle of June.

In setup there are two places to address lipsynch. One enables an auto correct and the other allows you to adjust it in 10ms increments. I have auto enabled and 40ms set for the LG LCD/LED. HDMI is set to through and I upscale from the 1080i/60 cable to the 1080p/24 processing the HT-RC360 offers. I do not have lipsynch issues
post #200 of 739 Old 07-28-2011, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by derpenguin View Post

I posted this question yesterday on the NX609 thread as the RC360 is a near equal machine, however, I'd like any feedback other 360/370 owners may have.

I purchased an Onkyo HT RC360 at a very good price and installed it last weekend. I've downloaded the most recent firmware and all features seem to work as advertised. I am pleased with the machine with only two reservations. First there appears to be a slight lag in the sound (lip sync) when viewed on the monitor using pass-through and second the machine generates a great deal of heat even in stand-by. I've heard that Onkyo's generate more heat than many popular receivers but I wasn't prepared to see 101 degrees F in stand-by (~120 - 122 F at listening volume in 5.1). The receiver is mounted in the same difficult-to-ventilate home entertainment center as was my 10 year old Sony ES which ran at about the same temperature under load but was near ambient temperature in stand-by.

I have 3 USB powered fan in the cell above the receiver but this does not move much air or lower the temperature on stand-by and I open the door to this cell when using the receiver. This lowers the temperature to approximately 112 degrees F.

My questions are: does this sound typical of Onkyo receivers (in stand-by) and do you think constant exposure to 100 + temperature will be harmful to the receiver? I've read elsewhere that this machine pulls 45W (!) in stand-by and even more with the WiFi bug installed.

The lip sync issue is minor, only present in pass-through and variable to content so I am living with it in hopes future firmware updates will correct the small lag.

I read in another thread that if you turn on HDMI-Through mode then the unit will pull 45 watts in standby rather than the normal 5 watts. Could this account for your heat issue?
post #201 of 739 Old 07-29-2011, 02:24 AM

have any you tried to use a external wireless usb/ethernet card instead of the UWF-1 dongle. I wanted to use the ethernet plug in the back so i can leave the usb port in the front open for ipod/phone or other usb devices. it's the same price as the dongle plus it isn't restricted to just the receiver.
post #202 of 739 Old 07-29-2011, 07:13 AM

Question about Onkyo HT-RC360, Apple TV 2 and AirPlay. The Apple TV is hooked up and works great (movies, tv shows all play great), but AirPlay from an iPad (when trying to stream video) only picks up the audio - no video. Any thoughts?
post #203 of 739 Old 07-30-2011, 01:28 PM

All back hdmi inputs stopped working- could only get the aux on front to work.
post #204 of 739 Old 08-01-2011, 09:58 PM

So I just recently picked up one of the RC-360 amps for $250 on their 4th of July sale.

So far LOVE the receiver! It's taken care of all my video routing needs, the internet radio is great, and for the price can't really beat it IMO!

I finally installed my surround speakers after 2 years of living in my new house. I ran 16 gauge speaker wire behind my baseboards. About 40-45 feet to reach the furthest speaker. I installed a 4 speaker binding post to make the connections in and out of the wall. Pictures below including one of the wire I used. I used some open screw Banana plugs as well.

Banana Plug (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/97/img2409l.jpg)

Wall plate #1 (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/823/img2411z.jpg)

Wall plate #2 (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/706/img2413p.jpg)

Speaker Wire used (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/193/img2415qx.jpg)

So here's the rub.

I've got some distortion that happens only in the surround speakers when the receiver has to decode the 2 channel PLx II or DTS: Neo. The sounds coming from the speakers is best described as 'underwater' or 'tin-ny' like perhaps the reverb is messed up or something, I've honestly got no idea. In regular Dolby Digital or DTS things are fine, and in higher Blu Ray quality like DTS HD Master, it sounds amazing. Just the matrix decoded audio.

Any ideas what could be causing this or how to fix it?

I've run the Audessey setup (The 3 point one not the 'quick' one) and that's how my speaker settings have been calculated.

Help!
post #205 of 739 Old 08-02-2011, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDJ View Post

So here's the rub.

I've got some distortion that happens only in the surround speakers when the receiver has to decode the 2 channel PLx II or DTS: Neo. The sounds coming from the speakers is best described as 'underwater' or 'tin-ny' like perhaps the reverb is messed up or something, I've honestly got no idea. In regular Dolby Digital or DTS things are fine, and in higher Blu Ray quality like DTS HD Master, it sounds amazing. Just the matrix decoded audio.

Any ideas what could be causing this or how to fix it?

I've run the Audessey setup (The 3 point one not the 'quick' one) and that's how my speaker settings have been calculated.

Help!

I have a very simlar setup and noticed the same charasteristic. 5.1 speakers sound great with a 5.1 source. Making up 5.1 from 2 is kind of hit or miss.

It seems to depend on the source. Generally I pick the all channel stereo for 2 channel video sources. For most music the Studio Mix or Un-Plugged settings are often ok. Some, like electronica, actually sounds good with PLII and the DTS:Neo but for a lot of music I use the stereo (+Sub) setting or else the directionality is all goofy - can't close my eyes and point to the individual instruments there's the horn, the guitar is over there etc.

But "underwater" is a good descrjption of what the rear surrounds sound like for many 2 channel sources.

I don't consider this a defect just good ears.
post #206 of 739 Old 08-02-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedBPhx View Post

I have a very similar setup and noticed the same characteristic. 5.1 speakers sound great with a 5.1 source. Making up 5.1 from 2 is kind of hit or miss.

It seems to depend on the source. Generally I pick the all channel stereo for 2 channel video sources. For most music the Studio Mix or Un-Plugged settings are often ok. Some, like electronica, actually sounds good with PLII and the DTS:Neo but for a lot of music I use the stereo (+Sub) setting or else the directionality is all goofy - can't close my eyes and point to the individual instruments there's the horn, the guitar is over there etc.

But "underwater" is a good description of what the rear surrounds sound like for many 2 channel sources.

I don't consider this a defect just good ears.

Yea, agreed. I just want to know what the best way possible to listen to Netflix streaming which comes in 2 channel on my LG 55LW5600 and SD FIOS TV mainly for my daughters children's shows (Sure she might not appreciate the sound quality but it drives me nuts when I watch it with her!). Music I just use as All channels Stereo and problem solved.

Is this normal for decoding of 2 channel sound to 5.1? Or is this specific to only this receiver?
post #207 of 739 Old 08-02-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDJ View Post

Is this normal for decoding of 2 channel sound to 5.1? Or is this specific to only this receiver?

Don't know. My last receiver, 1996 Onkyo TX-SV828THX + RS-232 connected ES-301 processor, did DD 5.1 but did not try to fake it from 2 to 5.1.
post #208 of 739 Old 08-06-2011, 11:08 AM

Hi all -- I'm having a weird issue.

I am having trouble with the onkyo restoring my audio settings. e.g. whenever I change the settings from default (pressing Audio settings -> making the changes on the menu) e.g. subwoofer at +10, treble at +10, bass at +10,

whenever I turn off and on the recevier, my subwoofer is at 0, treble at +10, bass at +8.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening? Thanks in advance.
post #209 of 739 Old 08-10-2011, 08:00 PM

Hi everyone, i have a configuration question for following hardware: RC360, AppleTV2, Sony TV without HDMI input.

I tried to use connection: AppleTV2 - hdmi - rc360 - composit - sony TV

but i am not getting any signal on the TV

any help is appreciated, thanks
post #210 of 739 Old 08-10-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc360noob
Hi everyone, i have a configuration question for following hardware: RC360, AppleTV2, Sony TV without HDMI input.

I tried to use connection: AppleTV2 - hdmi - rc360 - composit - sony TV

but i am not getting any signal on the TV

any help is appreciated, thanks
The 360 won't convert an HDMI to a composite signal. It can take component and HDMI and put those out over the HDMI out, but not composite. Sorry, but you really need a tv upgrade.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page