The "official" Yamaha RX-V671 thread. 7.1-Channel Network AVR - Page 10 - AVS Forum
First ... 8  9  10 11  12  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > The "official" Yamaha RX-V671 thread. 7.1-Channel Network AVR
willybguy's Avatar willybguy 10:07 PM 08-06-2011
I am using an Airport Express (AE) to wirelessly network and stream airtunes to my 671. Before I even turned it on the first time, ran ethernet cable from 671 to AE LAN port + R/L audio cable from AE to 671, works like a charm. Sure it would be great if it were built-in, but letting the 671 connect via WiFi + getting airtunes with the AE I already had - very very nice.

willybguy's Avatar willybguy 10:20 PM 08-06-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micker View Post

Going back and forth between this and the V867. I can get either for about the same price. If the v671 had multiple ypao like the v867, I would go for that. I can also get the V871 for $150 more then the V867 if that is worth the upgrade. Probably never need any pre-outs, only need one hdmi out at the moment. I believe the v671 has a better GUI?? Just can't pull the trigger on one of these, hate to get one and miss a feature the other has.

I agonized over same choices, and upgraded from a 12-year old yammy RV-1105. On a tip from this thread found ridiculously good deal on 671, never looked back. The most important thing is how it sounds - and it sounds awesome, but your observation about the GUI is right on.

Check out the link to a new CNET review just posted. The front panel HDMI connection, charging (!) front panel iPod/iPhone port and the iPhone/iPad app are all outstanding. The reviewer forgot to mention you can also log in to your 671 from virtually web browser. I can turn the 671 on and off, switch inputs to Pandora, and adjust the volume from my laptop. I'm surprised the reviewer left this feature off, because I think it's pretty awesome to be streaming music right now, and I'll turn it off without having to get out of bed.
ffrcoupe's Avatar ffrcoupe 10:23 PM 08-06-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by willybguy View Post

I am using an Airport Express (AE) to wirelessly network and stream airtunes to my 671. Before I even turned it on the first time, ran ethernet cable from 671 to AE LAN port + R/L audio cable from AE to 671, works like a charm. Sure it would be great if it were built-in, but letting the 671 connect via WiFi + getting airtunes with the AE I already had - very very nice.

Humm.... Very cool solution.
cbhpi's Avatar cbhpi 05:52 AM 08-07-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SereyAVS View Post

New question. Does anybody know how to save TV input as scene for easier source switching?

The "input" button on the AVR's remote can be used to toggle between television sources.
SereyAVS's Avatar SereyAVS 10:22 AM 08-07-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbhpi View Post

The "input" button on the AVR's remote can be used to toggle between television sources.

I dont want to toggle between tv sources. I want to toggle between sources connected AVR. I have a plasma with arc to hdmi arc. BD player to hdmi1. Computer one to hdmi2. PC2 to RCA. If i push BD/DVD button on AVR SCENE it toggles over to that. If I push CD, i get pc1 and Radio i get pc2. I want to be able to push TV SCENE and switch over to TV with audio and video. anybody?
rdgrimes's Avatar rdgrimes 11:02 AM 08-07-2011
Quote:

I dont want to toggle between tv sources. I want to toggle between sources connected AVR. I have a plasma with arc to hdmi arc. BD player to hdmi1. Computer one to hdmi2. PC2 to RCA. If i push BD/DVD button on AVR SCENE it toggles over to that. If I push CD, i get pc1 and Radio i get pc2. I want to be able to push TV SCENE and switch over to TV with audio and video. anybody?

You can set any SCENE button to any set of inputs. Just set things up how you want, then press and hold a SCENE button till you get a "set" displayed on the front panel.
wanab's Avatar wanab 11:15 AM 08-07-2011
What video chip does it have? Anchorbay ? marvel ?
SereyAVS's Avatar SereyAVS 11:30 AM 08-07-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

You can set any SCENE button to any set of inputs. Just set things up how you want, then press and hold a SCENE button till you get a "set" displayed on the front panel.

I set all my other sources BD player, PC1 and PC2 to SCENE buttons and they work perfectly. My plasma tv on the other hand does not work and ive followed precise instructions in the manual. The tv is connected with hdmi arc to hdmi arc on AVR. There is hdmi 1-6 and AV 1-5 on receiver. i guess what i need to know is, what input is hdmi arc?
cbhpi's Avatar cbhpi 11:33 AM 08-07-2011
Quote:

You don't mention your source for watching television programming. If your source for watching television programming is an antenna or network applications originating from your television, a "scene" button won't accomplish your goal. Furthermore, if the only input you have plugged into your television is the HDMI from your AVR, then ARC won't do you any good.
SereyAVS's Avatar SereyAVS 11:51 AM 08-07-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbhpi View Post

You don't mention your source for watching television programming. If your source for watching television programming is an antenna or network applications originating from your television, a "scene" button won't accomplish your goal. Furthermore, if the only input you have plugged into your television is the HDMI from your AVR, then ARC won't do you any good.

My tv source is ota. video and audio works fine now (again). Reconnecting hdmi arc and then powering up avr first then tv works. Maybe i'm misunderstanding things but I feel like you cant save a scene for tv. What i do is hit channel button and it automatically goes to tv source with av4 input.
cbhpi's Avatar cbhpi 12:15 PM 08-07-2011
Quote:

My tv source is ota. video and audio works fine now (again). Reconnecting hdmi arc and then powering up avr first then tv works. Maybe i'm misunderstanding things but I feel like you cant save a scene for tv. What i do is hit channel button and it automatically goes to tv source with av4 input.

If a cable or sat box were connected to your AVR, a scene button would work.
JChin's Avatar JChin 12:38 PM 08-07-2011
Quote:

Hi SereyAVS, scene buttons only works with whats assigned on the receiver. It will not control the Tv switching "Input Source" (TV, HDMI-1, HDMI-2, etc...). Suggest a universe remote (like Harmony) which will work well.
SereyAVS's Avatar SereyAVS 01:42 PM 08-07-2011
thanks guys for responses. I appreciate the help. Ill look into a universe remote as well.
huskermba's Avatar huskermba 02:57 PM 08-08-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewyn View Post

Have anyone gotten the 671 arc to work with a Samsung 55" smart TV series 7 (UA55D7000) ?

Or even HDMI Control ?

Regards,

I have a Samsung d6500 Plasma and i experienced some weird things.. everything was great out of the box -i.e the receiver shut off and turned on when i turned the tv on and off.. then i had to unplug everything to change the power strip, and how i can only get the rec to turn off then i turn tv off. So now when everything is off - the Rec will not come on when i power up the TV. I checked some forums and supposedly it was never meant to power the receiver on automatically, but it sure did for me until i unplugged the receiver! So for now im going old school and just disabled HDMI control. What were your experiences with HDMI control?
SereyAVS's Avatar SereyAVS 05:09 PM 08-08-2011
husker, I had very similar problems with my receiver at first. hdmi control/hdmi arc is very weird and new feature right now. Im still trying to get audio from tv to recveier to work perfectly because everytime i turn off avr and on again I get no sound from tv but all other sources connected work perfectly. ??
cbhpi's Avatar cbhpi 07:44 PM 08-08-2011
Quote:
husker, I had very similar problems with my receiver at first. hdmi control/hdmi arc is very weird and new feature right now. Im still trying to get audio from tv to recveier to work perfectly because everytime i turn off avr and on again I get no sound from tv but all other sources connected work perfectly. ??
When you say you "get no sound from tv," do you mean you get no sound from the television's speakers or the speakers connected to the AVR?

Your television has audio parameters that must be set, too. Review the OMs for both the AVR and the television.
SereyAVS's Avatar SereyAVS 09:52 PM 08-08-2011
cbhpi, I get no audio from speakers connected to AVR. I followed instructions in the OM. Here is the thing.... I set it up according to OM, but in the OM it says to power both AVR and tv down then power TV then AVR back on. My problem is that i do get audio but right after I follow procedures for powering down and powering back up I get no audio. It's making me go crazy because the other sources (blu ray, pc1, pc2) work flawlessly. i dont get it
cbhpi's Avatar cbhpi 04:20 AM 08-09-2011
Quote:

cbhpi, I get no audio from speakers connected to AVR. I followed instructions in the OM. Here is the thing.... I set it up according to OM, but in the OM it says to power both AVR and tv down then power TV then AVR back on. My problem is that i do get audio but right after I follow procedures for powering down and powering back up I get no audio. It's making me go crazy because the other sources (blu ray, pc1, pc2) work flawlessly. i dont get it

Turn all equipment off.
Power up your tv.
Using tv remote, select input on tv to receive signals from your antenna.
At this point, you should have a picture on your screen and audio from your television's speakers if you have chosen those speakers as default in your tv menu.
Power up AVR.
If all connections and various menu parameters are correct, you should now get audio from the speakers connected to the AVR, and possibly your tv's speakers as well. If so, you might hear an echo effect which can be eliminated by muting your tv's speakers.
If, at this point, you turn AVR off and unmute tv speakers, you should then receive sound only from your television speakers.
SereyAVS's Avatar SereyAVS 04:46 PM 08-09-2011
cbhpi, I tried out your method and it worked. I turned off the AVR several times to make sure and i was surprised to still get audio. Although once I turned off the tv and back on while the AVR is still on I get no sound. Im convinced hdmi arc has a lot to do with this and yamaha needs to fix it or something...????

Update******* I have been messing around further. I completely turned off hdmi control and used an optical. I powered off and on tv and AVR several times to be certain. Although this works fine I prefer less cables and will have to settle for this until someone else comes across the same problems, or a fix
fastek's Avatar fastek 07:16 PM 08-09-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by willybguy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcoupe View Post

Humm.... Very cool solution.

Just picked up an AE today... just connected and Yes this is very cool... using it with v671 and iOS control app sweet... so now i have wireless network receiver, airplay, and easy app control... thanks for the suggestion.
map78's Avatar map78 01:49 AM 08-10-2011
Hi Guys new here not sure if anyone can help me I recently bought the RX-V671 when I go to watch a BD i am unable to adjust the volume using the remote let alone do anything with the remote the only way it will work is to stop the dvd player to get the remote to work has anyone else had this problem or is it just a setting to change
map78's Avatar map78 02:36 AM 08-10-2011
Sorry guys have been playing abit seems to only happen when watching any 3d dvd works fine for all 2d
rdgrimes's Avatar rdgrimes 06:52 AM 08-10-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by map78 View Post

Sorry guys have been playing abit seems to only happen when watching any 3d dvd works fine for all 2d

Your TV is emitting IR signals while in 3D mode, this is for the glasses to synch. The IR signals are interfering with the Yamaha remote. The only fix is to find a way to prevent the TV's IR signal from reaching the front of the AVR.
willybguy's Avatar willybguy 12:49 PM 08-11-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastek View Post

Just picked up an AE today... just connected and Yes this is very cool... using it with v671 and iOS control app sweet... so now i have wireless network receiver, airplay, and easy app control... thanks for the suggestion.

Glad it worked out for you - a lot more versatile than a gaming adapter i think.
meseriashu's Avatar meseriashu 02:36 PM 08-11-2011
Hi,

I decided finnaly to buy a european version of 671, despite the fact that is almost double priced than in US, however, as I'm living in Belgium I didnt want to deal with stepdownconverters.

So I ordered it a couple of days ago and I'm keen to get it and play with it! It seems mine will be delivered out of Holland, so I'm losing options like rhapsody, napster etc.

I'm wondering if it will work to upgrade the firmware with the US version which can be downloaded from the yamaha support web page. Did somebody try? What's the potential risk for performing the flash?

thanks,
mc
sinistersix's Avatar sinistersix 02:37 PM 08-11-2011
I just got this receiver, do I need to hook it up to the internet for any updates? Any reason I should leave it wired to the internet at all times?
kriktsemaj99's Avatar kriktsemaj99 02:46 PM 08-11-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by meseriashu View Post

...I'm wondering if it will work to upgrade the firmware with the US version which can be downloaded from the yamaha support web page.

You can use the US firmware, but it's exactly the same as the firmware for other regions. It won't give you new functionality because the firmware can identify the particular model it's running on, and that's how they make different functions available in different regions.
sinistersix's Avatar sinistersix 04:02 PM 08-11-2011
I noticed this receiver doesnt have Dolby Digital 5.1 or 7.1, I assumed Pro Logic was a thing of the past. What DSP setting are most people using to watch movies and cable shows on this receiver?
rdgrimes's Avatar rdgrimes 04:25 PM 08-11-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistersix View Post

I noticed this receiver doesnt have Dolby Digital 5.1 or 7.1, I assumed Pro Logic was a thing of the past.

That's an incorrect observation. All Dolby decoders are available.
sinistersix's Avatar sinistersix 04:26 PM 08-11-2011
Does the DD 5.1 and 7.1 come on automatically when the source is detected? If not, I cant find where to set it like you can Dolby Pro Logic II
Tags: Yamaha Rx V671 Receiver
First ... 8  9  10 11  12  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop