The "official" Yamaha RX-V671 thread. 7.1-Channel Network AVR - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 2155 Old 08-20-2011, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by willybguy View Post

just curious - where did you find the code?

Code came in a newsletter. I've been waiting for a great deal on a great receiver, I think I've found it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2155 Old 08-21-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willybguy View Post

Sorry if this sounds redundant, but are you sure you have latest PS3 firmware update?

I upgraded the PS3 over the internet just two days ago and the Yamaha firmware via USB yesterday.

I am so stumped on this.
post #363 of 2155 Old 08-22-2011, 07:11 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasAUtiger View Post

I upgraded the PS3 over the internet just two days ago and the Yamaha firmware via USB yesterday.

I am so stumped on this.

have you tried other components on each hdmi input - ?
post #364 of 2155 Old 08-22-2011, 11:38 AM

TigerDirect.com has it for $349.99 free shipping with promo code QMS40768
post #365 of 2155 Old 08-23-2011, 09:11 PM

I've got one of these coming from Tiger Direct tomorrow. Can't wait, it should be quite an upgrade from my ancient Pioneer VSX-709S. The $350 price was to good to pass on.

Anything special I should do when setting this up or is it all in the user manual?

~Brian
post #366 of 2155 Old 08-24-2011, 05:46 AM

Where do you enter the code? I went to purchase on tiger direct, but I don't see anywhere to input the code.
post #367 of 2155 Old 08-24-2011, 05:53 AM

hey guys i just purchased this yamaha RV-A710, awesome amp very impressed. the only thing i cant work out is when im playing a bluray through my samsung player, the amp doesn't show DTS HD MA either on the amp display or when you press the info. when i press the info it only says DTS. ive got it all hooked up through HDMI 1.4 and the player is bit-streaming uncompressed to the amp... is there a setting i need to change to get the DTS HD MA showing on the amp?
post #368 of 2155 Old 08-24-2011, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOPANindustries View Post

hey guys i just purchased this yamaha RV-A710, awesome amp very impressed. the only thing i cant work out is when im playing a bluray through my samsung player, the amp doesn't show DTS HD MA either on the amp display or when you press the info. when i press the info it only says DTS. ive got it all hooked up through HDMI 1.4 and the player is bit-streaming uncompressed to the amp... is there a setting i need to change to get the DTS HD MA showing on the amp?

Press the "Straight" button on the AVR remote, then press "info" several times. You should see something like "DTS - Mstr HD."
post #369 of 2155 Old 08-24-2011, 07:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:

Most likely you have the player set for "Secondary Audio - On".
post #370 of 2155 Old 08-24-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel INS View Post

Where do you enter the code? I went to purchase on tiger direct, but I don't see anywhere to input the code.

There was a box to enter it in during the checkout process. I don't rememeber at exactly what step it was.

~Brian
post #371 of 2155 Old 08-24-2011, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:

when i press the info it only says DTS. ive got it all hooked up through HDMI 1.4 and the player is bit-streaming uncompressed to the amp... is there a setting i need to change to get the DTS HD MA showing on the amp?

Hi LOPANindustries, it appears you may have the BD player audio output set to "Bitstream (Re-encode)" instead of "Bitstream (Audiophile)".
post #372 of 2155 Old 08-24-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post

There was a box to enter it in during the checkout process. I don't rememeber at exactly what step it was.

Thanks- the box is gone now, but the product is still available. Seems a little shady to me.
post #373 of 2155 Old 08-24-2011, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I bought my V571 a few days ago and am having a few issues I hope you can shed some light on. I realize this thread is for the V671, but I hope you folks will take pity on a humble V571 owner, as we do not appear to have our own thread. My understanding is that the receivers are fairly identical in the things that matter to me, so hopefully my questions will be relevant to the higher model too.

1) Is there any way to put the receiver into 2.1 stereo mode for music? Cycling through all music modes from an ipod gives me pure 2-channel, 5.1 "surround", and a million "hall" modes.

2) While watching a 2-channel DVD last night (first episode of Long Way Round) bitstreamed via PS3, the receiver automatically put itself into the faux-surround "PLII Movie" mode. It sounded fine, but kept cycling the messages "Dolby Digital" and "PLII Movie" on the display the entire episode, every 5 seconds or so. This got really distracting - is this proper functioning, and is there a way to turn it off?

Thanks for the help!
post #374 of 2155 Old 08-24-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel INS View Post

Thanks- the box is gone now, but the product is still available. Seems a little shady to me.

I went to order it as well and did not see a box to enter the code.
post #375 of 2155 Old 08-24-2011, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtwofish View Post

1) Is there any way to put the receiver into 2.1 stereo mode for music? Cycling through all music modes from an ipod gives me pure 2-channel, 5.1 "surround", and a million "hall" modes.

Press the remote's "straight" button.
post #376 of 2155 Old 08-24-2011, 05:00 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Opipari View Post

I went to order it as well and did not see a box to enter the code.

there is no Tigerdirect promo code checkout field so beware - that's the only screen you get at checkout, if you click submit, you just bought it.

Search the thread for newegg - there was a ridiculous (real) promo last month, no sales tax, free ship, + a no-strings $150 gift card. Another $10 off for new customers. I got one this way - they're completely sold out now.

But - if i were buying this month newegg has RX-A800 AVENTAGE for $400 right now. I have no financial interest whatsoever in newegg - but fyi - for $50 more than you're lookin' to spend, you get an AVENTAGE. This is the first time I've had a slight twitch since buying my 671. That's a sick price for the A800.
post #377 of 2155 Old 08-25-2011, 04:29 AM

cbhpi,
Thanks very much for your reply. Unfortunately, pressing the "straight" button only puts it into 2.0 mode. Is there a hidden setting somewhere to activate the sub during 2-channel music mode? My decade old Sony receiver did this...seems like a pretty basic function. Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbhpi View Post

Press the remote's "straight" button.

post #378 of 2155 Old 08-25-2011, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

cbhpi,
Thanks very much for your reply. Unfortunately, pressing the "straight" button only puts it into 2.0 mode. Is there a hidden setting somewhere to activate the sub during 2-channel music mode? My decade old Sony receiver did this...seems like a pretty basic function. Thanks again!

The only advice I can offer at this stage is to review in your OM the settings for speaker setup.
post #379 of 2155 Old 08-25-2011, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbhpi View Post

The only advice I can offer at this stage is to review in your OM the settings for speaker setup.

Thanks dude, already did that :-) They seem set properly for everything else...sub definitely works in all .1 modes.
post #380 of 2155 Old 08-25-2011, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:

...sub definitely works in all .1 modes.

Sounds like you have the front speakers set as LARGE, so nothing goes to the sub for 2.0 input. Change them to SMALL with 80Hz (or other appropriate value) for the crossover frequency, then the bass goes to the sub.
post #381 of 2155 Old 08-25-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

Sounds like you have the front speakers set as LARGE, so nothing goes to the sub for 2.0 input. Change them to SMALL with 80Hz (or other appropriate value) for the crossover frequency, then the bass goes to the sub.

Ah - you nailed it! My main speakers are Infiniti Beta 50's with twin 8" woofers each. They're plenty "big" for movies and most music, but they can't reproduce the real lows of metal and rap, even bi-amped (kind of disappointingly, frankly). Thanks for the tip!
post #382 of 2155 Old 08-25-2011, 12:31 PM

There is a stellar review of the RX V671 at http://www.whathifi.com/
post #383 of 2155 Old 08-25-2011, 01:58 PM

Hello,

Received my 671 today after taking advantage of the Newegg promo code. Been getting things set up and everything seems to be working properly. However, I can't figure out how to get the audio from Viera Cast, specifically Netflix, to work. I still get audio from my xFinity DVR.

I have the DVR connected to HDMI 2, my blu-ray is connected to HDMI 1 and the AVR is connected to HDMI/ARC 1 on my Panasonic 50ST30 TV.

I've searched all over the forums here but can't seem to find the answer to get this to work.

Thanks!
-Zeph
post #384 of 2155 Old 08-25-2011, 02:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyr77 View Post

Hello,

Received my 671 today after taking advantage of the Newegg promo code. Been getting things set up and everything seems to be working properly. However, I can't figure out how to get the audio from Viera Cast, specifically Netflix, to work. I still get audio from my xFinity DVR.

I have the DVR connected to HDMI 2, my blu-ray is connected to HDMI 1 and the AVR is connected to HDMI/ARC 1 on my Panasonic 50ST30 TV.

I've searched all over the forums here but can't seem to find the answer to get this to work.

Thanks!
-Zeph

If you're wanting ARC audio, HDMI control/CEC (VieraConnect) needs to be enabled at both ends.

The path of least resistance is just to connect an optical cable from the TV to AVR and use that for audio. Enabling HDMI control opens another can of worms.
post #385 of 2155 Old 08-25-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

If you're wanting ARC audio, HDMI control/CEC (VieraConnect) needs to be enabled at both ends.

The path of least resistance is just to connect an optical cable from the TV to AVR and use that for audio. Enabling HDMI control opens another can of worms.

Thanks for the reply! I always like the path of least resistance The 671 is replacing an old Sony STR-DE835 so there are a lot of things like HDMI Control that I need to learn about.

After I connect the optical cable, how do I change the audio to the OC if all audio is being transmitted through HDMI out? Do I turn off the cable box when I want to watch Netflix?

I have a feeling this is a stupid question so my apologies in advance... Still learning how this new receiver works and this part is a bit confusing.
post #386 of 2155 Old 08-25-2011, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyr77 View Post

Thanks for the reply! I always like the path of least resistance The 671 is replacing an old Sony STR-DE835 so there are a lot of things like HDMI Control that I need to learn about.

After I connect the optical cable, how do I change the audio to the OC if all audio is being transmitted through HDMI out? Do I turn off the cable box when I want to watch Netflix?

I have a feeling this is a stupid question so my apologies in advance... Still learning how this new receiver works and this part is a bit confusing.

If you don't enable ARC, the audio from your TV/Vieracast won't be transmitted through HDMI. You don't have to turn the cable box off when you watch Netflix, but leaving it on might be wasteful.

By the way, once you have everything hooked up and have enjoyed your new system for a while you might want to try HDMI Control/ARC when you have a little time to spare. Be sure to read both the AVR and TV OMs on those sections carefully before giving up. I have a Panasonic TV and the RX-V867 and have had success with basic HDMI Control features, such as being able to turn off the AVR by turning off the TV. Automatic switching between inputs is spotty. My TV is a 2009, though, so you might have a better experience if your TV is newer. Many people who post on the Yamaha AVR threads advocate using a programmable remote such as one made by Harmony instead of fiddling with HDMI Control.
post #387 of 2155 Old 08-26-2011, 10:22 PM

i just bought the rx-v671 today and hooked everything up with hdmi. I am having problems with my ps3. It will play blu rays and netflix perfect but when i play a game, it doesnt fill the whole screen. It works fine if the hdmi is hooked up directly to the tv but if i go through the receiver, the picture is small. once again, this is only on games. any ideas?
post #388 of 2155 Old 08-26-2011, 10:45 PM

Hi, does the RX-V671 have two different memory settings for speaker levels, distances, etc.?

I have two different listening positions - one is 5 feet closer to the TV than the other. I would like to quickly change the speaker levels depending on where I sit - louder rear speakers when I'm further front for example.

However AFAIK the 671 only saves one setting. Is this right?

Thanks
post #389 of 2155 Old 08-27-2011, 04:45 PM

I'm setting up my unit right now and have run into a snag. Hopefully someone will have an idea(s) to try [I have gone through the manual and done some searches, but not come up with anything].

My gear...
LG 42LH40 TV
http://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video/...-tv-42LH40.jsp

Panasonic BDT-210

XBOX 360

Boxee Box

Ok, so I hooked everything up and fired it up and got no picture from the Blu-Ray. The Boxee and 360 both work perfectly. I also hooked up an old BDP-60 and got the same results as with the 210. The LG TV just says no signal, and occasionally invalid format. If either BD is hooked directly to the TV then the picture comes through fine, but something in the signal the 671 is sending appears to be problematic. The weird thing is after sitting for 15-20 min I did get a picture from the 210 telling me about a firmware update. I was able to do the firmware update process fine, but when the 210 restarted I was back to the same No Signal message. This entire time the 671's red HDMI light has been lit to say it's sending a signal (and the TV shows No Signal as opposed to the 671's wallpaper which is shown for the other HDMI inputs with devices that are off and sending no signal). I've also tried different HDMI cables and different HDMI ports on both the TV and receiver.

Anyone got some ideas?

EDIT: Forgot to mention I've also updated to the latest firmware for the 671.

~Brian
post #390 of 2155 Old 08-27-2011, 07:39 PM

Ok, I figured some things out.

Changing the BD player from "Auto" to a set resolution of 1080i or lower gets me a picture, despite the TV being 1080p I get no picture if the BD is set to that resolution. However I have to bump the BD player all the way down to 480p to get a picture without problems.

By problems I mean when set at 1080i or 720p there are tiny little white spots/flecks that flicker on and off all over the screen when viewing the players menus or watching a movie (BD or DVD). This only goes away when the setting is dropped to 480p.

I'm guessing this is some kind of problem with my TV as opposed to a problem with the receiver? Any ideas on any kind of settings that will help with this without buying a new TV?

Kind of frustrating to start upgrading things and run into a problem like this.

~Brian
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V671 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V671 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page