The "official" Yamaha RX-V671 thread. 7.1-Channel Network AVR - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 2150 Old 09-11-2011, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKLYN76 View Post

I haven't done much in the set-up of the speakers in terms of using the mic or any of that. Will this do the trick?

It is the first and most important thing you could do. Until that is completed properly, all other questions and settings are irrelevant.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
" - MLK

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2150 Old 09-12-2011, 03:07 AM

Liked: 10
Hi guys,

Do you know if its possible to configure the receiver to output sound from HDMI1 (Listening to a CD in PS3) and, at the same time, video from HDMI2 (AVR, watching TV)?

I see that it is possible to do this for the combination HDMI/AV1 or HDMI/SOUND1, but i can't see HDMI/HDMI.

Thanks
post #453 of 2150 Old 09-12-2011, 01:38 PM

After using the mic to set up the speakers, can I mess with the settings or should I leave it alone just mess with the subwoofer...

TIA.
post #454 of 2150 Old 09-12-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokko21 View Post

After using the mic to set up the speakers, can I mess with the settings or should I leave it alone just mess with the subwoofer...

TIA.

Sure, you can make adjustments. I ran the auto setup a couple of times. After listening for awhile, I decided to tweak the levels, especially for my center. Menu\\Setup\\Speaker\\Manual Setup\\Level.

_zeph
post #455 of 2150 Old 09-12-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyr77 View Post

Sure, you can make adjustments. I ran the auto setup a couple of times. After listening for awhile, I decided to tweak the levels, especially for my center. Menu\\Setup\\Speaker\\Manual Setup\\Level.

_zeph

Say for example, I do the auto setup and I don't like the results after I saved them. How can I reset everything back to default? Is it possible?
post #456 of 2150 Old 09-13-2011, 03:49 AM

Hi guys,

Another question: when watching a film (Mirrors: in blu ray) from my PS3 via bitstream in DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, I noticed that from time to time the receiver would stop for one or two seconds (no sound) and then resume (I could see the display loosing the pictures that present my 5 speakers and then the speakers appearing again). If I changed to Linear PCM everything worked fine.

Is there any problem with my receiver? Has anyone experienced the same problem?

Thanks
post #457 of 2150 Old 09-14-2011, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
I just installed my 671 and did a firmware update update via the internet. The original version was 1.07.

The update completed succesfully. Followed instructions to power off the unit.

Powered on the unit to check the firmware level and it has all dashes, no numbers on the front panel display.

The firmware level on the system information page in the ON SCREEN display is 1.16 which is correct.

Anyone else experience this?

Unit appears to be working normally.

Thanks.
post #458 of 2150 Old 09-14-2011, 02:05 PM

The Yamaha RX-V671BL caught my eye, as I am looking to replace a Yamaha HTR5280 (issue with volume knob). I have a few questions and here is my existing setup:

Yamaha HTR5280
Samsung 46" LED UN46D6000
Sony PS3
Directv HR24-200
Sony PS3
Polk RM2300 Fronts and Rears
Polk CS1 Center
Polk PSW350 Sub
2nd set of speakers out on patio (multiroom)

I've been out of this for a while (as I am sure you can tell!), so any guidance is greatly appreciated.

1) What type of sound quality difference would I expect between the old and new Yamaha?
2) My typical complaint is low center channel volume, so I turned up the volume, then eventually get blown away. Anything with this receiver that will help?
3) In my existing setup, I am running HDMI (for just video) straight from PS3 and Directv to TV (and optical audio). If I use HDMI to take video and audio through new Yamaha, what differences (volume, crispness, pic quality, etc) would I expect to see/hear compared to my old setup?
4) I use sub-out for PSW350 on existing setup. Is that still the case with the new receiver?
5) I notice on certain programming (tv when set to Dolby Digital and on some PS3 games) that the volume drops off and gets very echo-ey. Is this specific to my old setup and the new receiver will handle this better?
5) Any other suggestions or observations? Is there another receiver better suited for my setup? The room is approximately 17' long by 15' deep.

Many thanks,
Rob
post #459 of 2150 Old 09-14-2011, 02:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcraigiii View Post

1) What type of sound quality difference would I expect between the old and new Yamaha?

Pretty much every kind.
Quote:
2) My typical complaint is low center channel volume, so I turned up the volume, then eventually get blown away. Anything with this receiver that will help?

All channels levels are adjustable, although after running the setup routine you should need minimal tweaking.
Quote:
3) In my existing setup, I am running HDMI (for just video) straight from PS3 and Directv to TV (and optical audio). If I use HDMI to take video and audio through new Yamaha, what differences (volume, crispness, pic quality, etc) would I expect to see/hear compared to my old setup?

No differences
Quote:
4) I use sub-out for PSW350 on existing setup. Is that still the case with the new receiver?

Yes.
Quote:
5) I notice on certain programming (tv when set to Dolby Digital and on some PS3 games) that the volume drops off and gets very echo-ey. Is this specific to my old setup and the new receiver will handle this better?

Hard to say, doesn't sound any known issue I can think of.
post #460 of 2150 Old 09-14-2011, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

From the amplifier itself: no difference. From the results of having the YPAO computer available: major improvements. From the ability to handle the new HD audio formats: subtle improvements.
Quote:

As mentioned above, having YPAO available will allow you to precisely balance your entire system, tuned to the environment. If your former problems were caused by channel imbalances or frequency response problems, they should be cured.
Quote:

3) If I use HDMI to take video and audio through new Yamaha, what differences (volume, crispness, pic quality, etc) would I expect to see/hear compared to my old setup?

You will be able to use and benefit from the new HD audio formats that cannot be passed through your existing interfaces.
Quote:

Yes.
Quote:

Likely no change. Sounds like other issues!
Quote:

5) Any other suggestions or observations? Is there another receiver better suited for my setup?

The RX-V867 offers pre-in/out and dual HDMI and sub outputs but lacks the USB input port. Your call. The 867 was $429 at New Egg but the 671 is now $370 at Tiger Direct.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
" - MLK

post #461 of 2150 Old 09-14-2011, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Just got one of these - so far pretty happy - it could use a few more "scene" buttons - and the advertising sticker could leave less residue when removed, but I digress.

I have what I hope is a simple question. I want to hook up a laptop to it. The laptop (mac if that matters) has an DVI ouput for video. I have a DVI to hdmi cable. I connect the hdmi cable to an hdmi input on the 671 (currently hdmi 3). But for now the laptop outputs only two channel analog audio (currently connected to audio 2). How do I tell the receiver to use audio 2 input when displaying hdmi 3 video? There must be a way, but I haven't found it in the manual yet. I'm OK with moving the wires to different number inputs if that will help. So far no help from the manual, but maybe I haven't looked hard enough yet . . .

Thanks

Everything I say here is my opinion. It is not my employers opinion, it is not my wife's opinion, it is not my neighbors opinion, it is My Opinion.
post #462 of 2150 Old 09-14-2011, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by dknightd View Post

I have what I hope is a simple question. I want to hook up a laptop to it. The laptop (mac if that matters) has an DVI ouput for video. I have a DVI to hdmi cable. I connect the hdmi cable to an hdmi input on the 671 (currently hdmi 3). But for now the laptop outputs only two channel analog audio (currently connected to audio 2). How do I tell the receiver to use audio 2 input when displaying hdmi 3 video? There must be a way, but I haven't found it in the manual yet. I'm OK with moving the wires to different number inputs if that will help. So far no help from the manual, but maybe I haven't looked hard enough yet . . .

Thanks

Hi dknightd, some mac laptop can output digital through the headphone jack so check your laptop manual.

Otherwise for your requested setup ... go into menu -> Input -> HDMI-3 and assign Audio-2 under "Audio IN'.
post #463 of 2150 Old 09-15-2011, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Otherwise for your requested setup ... go into menu -> Input -> HDMI-3 and assign Audio-2 under "Audio IN'.

Thanks - got it. Was user error. I selected menu -> Input -> HDMI-3
using the enter key - had to use the up arrow key to change the sound input.

Everything I say here is my opinion. It is not my employers opinion, it is not my wife's opinion, it is not my neighbors opinion, it is My Opinion.
post #464 of 2150 Old 09-15-2011, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjruby View Post

I just installed my 671 and did a firmware update update via the internet. The original version was 1.07.

Powered on the unit to check the firmware level and it has all dashes, no numbers on the front panel display.

The firmware level on the system information page in the ON SCREEN display is 1.16 which is correct.

Thanks.

this also happened to me
im sure its not an issue
post #465 of 2150 Old 09-15-2011, 02:20 PM

Thanks rdgrimes and cavu. It looks like it's not current available at Tiger Direct. That's WAY cheaper than Best Buy!
post #466 of 2150 Old 09-15-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:

Thanks rdgrimes and cavu. It looks like it's not current available at Tiger Direct. That's WAY cheaper than Best Buy!

Try calling them.
That is what I did.
They are currently on back order.

I'm not sure on the current pricing.
Try giving them the code and see what they say.
Those codes are usually only good for a small number of days.

I think you can trust Tiger Direct these days.
They now have regular retail stores.

They are a little slow in the email notifications though.
It took 1 or 2 days for my order confirmation and a couple days later for the backorder notification.
post #467 of 2150 Old 09-16-2011, 10:38 AM

It is probably getting to time to upgrade to HDMI. Stupid question, will the
V671 sound better than my old but not tired V1400,which I love.
Also seems that any place with a good price is out of stock,such as Newegg.
Thanks
Old Mike
post #468 of 2150 Old 09-16-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owned66 View Post

this also happened to me
im sure its not an issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjruby View Post

Thanks.

same thing on mine, I updated via USB from 1.13. Like above, seems to function ok
post #469 of 2150 Old 09-16-2011, 08:00 PM

Purchased a 671 today and so far things are going well ...

I am confused though on confirming I am receiving/passing a dolby digital signal from Direct receiver. Everything is set fine on the Directv box and when I hit the sur.decode button I'm only seeing 2 options both containing the word "straight." I have read this portion of the manual, but still a little confused. On my old Yamaha you would actually see the words Dolby Digital and that would go away if you selected 5 channel stereo, sports, etc. 95% of my usage is going to be from Directv and I want to make sure that I am configured properly. (also, I have tried multiple channels that should be passing a DD signal: Cinemax, ESPN, etc).

I'm assuming that any time I use "7 channel stereo" that I am not going to get DD? What about with the Sports setting?

Thanks,
Rob
post #470 of 2150 Old 09-16-2011, 08:35 PM

I ordered the V671 at Vann's tonight for $439. When I went through the process of adding it to the cart, it showed a "bundle". I thought "I don't want a bundle!", when I all of a sudden realized that it was a free promotion! It included Apple TV and a 3' HDMI cable...free! Can't go wrong with that!

So I'll now be selling my Pioneer 1020-K. Not that I had any trouble with it; but I've always wanted a Yamaha and the 671 will be my first one!

By the way, I also noticed that great deal at Tiger Direct for $350 just browsing around tonight, but I also could not find the field to enter the coupon code. So I called them and he told me that if a coupon code is available for a product, a field would show up in Step 4 of the purchase process. Well, there was no field so the $350 deal is long gone.
post #471 of 2150 Old 09-17-2011, 06:56 PM

Tiger Direct is the king of refurbished stuff.... or not ?
post #472 of 2150 Old 09-17-2011, 07:18 PM

Sorry for the confusion, but despite reading many threads on this, I still don't quite follow. With my PS3, I don't believe I am passing/receiving audio correctly. In the PS3 setup I said that audio was via HDMI and it selected a list of the compatible formats. But when I play a blu-ray disc, the information button on the Yamaha shows PCM.

PS3 on-screen info shows: DTS-HD MA, 6.1Ch, 48khz, 4.0 Mbps, AVC, 36.3mbps
Yamaha info shows: PCM, 7.1 (3/4/0.1), 48Khz

Thanks,
Rob
post #473 of 2150 Old 09-17-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:

Sorry for the confusion, but despite reading many threads on this, I still don't quite follow. With my PS3, I don't believe I am passing/receiving audio correctly. In the PS3 setup I said that audio was via HDMI and it selected a list of the compatible formats. But when I play a blu-ray disc, the information button on the Yamaha shows PCM.

PS3 on-screen info shows: DTS-HD MA, 6.1Ch, 48khz, 4.0 Mbps, AVC, 36.3mbps
Yamaha info shows: PCM, 7.1 (3/4/0.1), 48Khz

Thanks,
Rob

Is your PS3 an old "phat" model or the new slim version? If it's the old phat model, then what you are seeing is correct as they can't stream the lossless sound formats -they are decoded inside the PS3 and sent to the amp as PCM.
post #474 of 2150 Old 09-17-2011, 07:35 PM

No, it's a slim. Thanks.
post #475 of 2150 Old 09-17-2011, 07:39 PM

Choose bitstream on audio output
post #476 of 2150 Old 09-18-2011, 12:06 AM

I recently moved out of an apartment into a home with a 16x14 ft TV room. My Samsung 46" LCD and Sony blu-ray player needed some audio help so I recently purchased a Yamaha RX-V671 AV receiver and it just arrived on my door step this Friday (replaced vintage Sony STR-DB930). Due to a significant increase in rent and relatively small living room, I'm looking for "budget" speakers to go with the Yamaha and replace my 12 year old Infinity Minuette home theater set, including BU2 12" Infinity sub. I've got $200 immediately available (thanks to Amazon gift cards) and am debating between just getting a quality center channel speaker or saving a little more ($400 total) for a home theater speaker package.

Potential center channel speakers:
-Yamaha NS-C310 ($199) OR
-Definitive Technology ProCenter 1000 ($220)
Both have quality reviews and meet my budget and size requirements (6" height maximum)

OR...

Potential Home theater speaker package:
-Energy Take Classic 5.1 ($399)
-Fluance AVHTB 5 ($199 + $80s/h)
The Energy set has a wealth of positive reviews and includes a sub but I'd have to wait until early next year at the earliest. On the other hand, with the Fluance I could get it sooner and use it with my older Infinity sub (although the sub's low level input jacks are very finicky these days. The connection has become very touchy and the sub sometimes will not work with slightest movement of the banana plugs).

The speakers will mainly be used for watching movies and some music & TV.

Do I slowly build a system and first get a solid center channel or replace the whole set all at once? I also posted this question in the speakers forum and since I haven't heard anything, I thought I'd also post here. Any input and advice is appreciated!
post #477 of 2150 Old 09-18-2011, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by staffman02 View Post

Do I slowly build a system and first get a solid center channel or replace the whole set all at once?

IMHO ...
  1. Sell all your existing speakers, sub and Sony AVR.
  2. Take that money plus your $200 and buy TWO only of the best "full range" speakers you can find for L/R.
  3. Set the 671 for phantom centre channel. Start enjoying that.
  4. Buy a cheap pair of "anything" at a garage sale and use them temporarily for surrounds. Enjoy.
  5. Save some money and buy a GOOD sub. Enjoy much more.
  6. Save some more money and buy a good centre channel. Continue to enjoy.
  7. Save a little more money and buy some decent surrounds.

" - MLK

post #478 of 2150 Old 09-18-2011, 12:58 PM

Is it possoble to get a and hdmi spltter that will split from the hdmi ARC off the 671. Sometimes i play games for more than 2 hours on my plasma which is not ok with static images. And i want to send video signal to output on my lcd as well. Currently, ive got an hdmi from my lcd monitor and an hdmi from my plasma tv out to hdmi arc on the 761 ( not plugged in at the same time, obviously). So anybody think an hdmi spltter will work or not?
post #479 of 2150 Old 09-18-2011, 02:57 PM

I recently did the update and now my pandora isnt working. It is saying that the device is not connected to the network.

I have tried all sorts of settings through my AT&T Firewall. I can access the GUI via the IP address. The port is active and passing traffic per my firewall. But for some reason the actual receiver is showing no connecting. I can ping the IP address confirmed wiht MAC address, but still no service.

Has this happened to anyone else?
post #480 of 2150 Old 09-18-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SereyAVS View Post

Is it possoble to get a and hdmi spltter that will split from the hdmi ARC off the 671. Sometimes i play games for more than 2 hours on my plasma which is not ok with static images. And i want to send video signal to output on my lcd as well. Currently, ive got an hdmi from my lcd monitor and an hdmi from my plasma tv out to hdmi arc on the 761 ( not plugged in at the same time, obviously). So anybody think an hdmi spltter will work or not?

I'd think so.
I read a review on this one and it is supposed to support HDMI 1.4.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V671 Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page