The "official" Yamaha RX-V671 thread. 7.1-Channel Network AVR - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 2157 Old 10-08-2011, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I got my new Yamaha RX-V671 a couple of days ago from Newegg. I had my front Polk Audio speakers wired with the Bi-Amp connection. I couldn't figure out why the presence speakers would not work so I finally went to the Yamaha website and found on the FAQs that Bi-wired speakers will not work with presence speakers. I re-wired using the conventional speaker hookups and the presence speakers now work properly.

I am just curious if anybody knows why these two speaker set-ups will not work together. It is not a big deal other than it is not mentioned in the manual. I ended up spinning my wheels on this for several hours before going to the Yamaha website.

Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2157 Old 10-08-2011, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by murffee1 View Post

I am just curious if anybody knows why these two speaker set-ups will not work together. It is not a big deal other than it is not mentioned in the manual. I ended up spinning my wheels on this for several hours before going to the Yamaha website.

Thanks for any input.

Simply because it's a 7-ch amp. You can't have 9 channels running. The bi-amp connection uses 2 additional channels, as does presence speakers.
post #543 of 2157 Old 10-08-2011, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by murffee1 View Post

It is not a big deal other than it is not mentioned in the manual.

Hi murffee1, see the caution note at bottom of page 69.

Quote:

When Zone2 output is enabled (p.71), the surround back speakers in the main zone do not output sound.

post #544 of 2157 Old 10-08-2011, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Go with single plugs!! The standard dual DO NOT FIT!!

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
" - MLK

post #545 of 2157 Old 10-08-2011, 11:45 AM

Liked: 10
Thanks. I've already placed my order for a sh-load of single plugs from monoprice.

Can't wait to set it up.

My ASUS E35M1-I Deluxe + Antec ISK 310-150 HTPC Project:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #546 of 2157 Old 10-08-2011, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanc View Post

I did measure the spacing before posting. Still don't see why the dual plugs if they are 3/4" did not fit.

For some reason, the vertical spacing between channels is the standard 3/4" but the individual channel spacing is wider. (But I am two thousand miles away from home and can't measure it for you.)

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
" - MLK

post #547 of 2157 Old 10-08-2011, 05:12 PM

Just picked one of these up today and I would like to know How I to connect to my wireless network ?

Is there something special I need to buy to do this?

Thank you,

JW
post #548 of 2157 Old 10-08-2011, 05:19 PM

You need a wireless bridge. Sometimes they're called wireless game adapters. It converts wired ethernet to wireless. I've been thinking about picking up an Apple Airport Express to do the job myself.

My ASUS E35M1-I Deluxe + Antec ISK 310-150 HTPC Project:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #549 of 2157 Old 10-08-2011, 05:30 PM

Do you happen to have any links you could provide me of where to buy one of these or the Apple Airport Express? Does the Apple Airport Express only work in apple networking environments or something?
post #550 of 2157 Old 10-08-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnworfin View Post

Just picked one of these up today and I would like to know How I to connect to my wireless network ?

Is there something special I need to buy to do this?

Thank you,

JW

As rwpritchett mentioned, I would recommend one of the following products:

If you're just connecting one thing (this receiver):
TRENDnet wireless gaming adapter TEW-647GA

If you're like me and your Xbox 360, your Yamaha Receiver, your Bluray player and your Comcast DVR all need internet you can pick this one up for $20 more and send internet to 4 different devices:
TRENDnet 4-port Media Bridge TEW-640MB

Connection is rock solid, and fast. I've been very happy with these. I own both, I bought the single one first and used it for years on my Xbox 360, streamed Netflix in HD with no hiccups.
post #551 of 2157 Old 10-08-2011, 06:00 PM

I just bought and set this up yesterday (bought from NewEgg.com). Setup was easy, everything's working but I'm disappointed by two things, both having to do with actual sound production, in comparison to my old (1999) Sony receiver which had optical audio in.

#1)
The sound seems flat, compared to the Sony receiver. I'm using the same speakers but it sounds as though the same scenes on BluRay Star Trek or 5th Element have some audio portions within a scene (hitting warp speed, firing bullets) did not have nearly the same clarity or "punch" in the audio and seemed to blend in with the rest of the audio. Keep in mind I have NOT done the automatic setup yet (with the included mic).

The speakers are small satellite Sony speakers (also from 1999), and I know they can be louder because my old Sony receiver did a nice job punching audio through.

#2)
The SubWoofer performance seems especially poor. I have to have my subwoofer close to full, and send extra Bass volume in the settings, before I can appreciate decent LFE noise from the Enterprise moving past, etc.
post #552 of 2157 Old 10-08-2011, 06:04 PM

Awesome thanx!
post #553 of 2157 Old 10-09-2011, 03:49 AM

@cavu, I have single banana plugs and only posed the question rhetorically.

I noticed that when setting up YPAO, the manual says to set the SW gain at half and the crossover at MAX. After YPAO, I saw that the crossover was set at 160 Hz.

For THX, the crossover is 80 Hz. So I just wonder what's happening.

I have a SVS SW and Klipsch speakers. Anyway, I set up the speakers manually and with a 7.1 setup, somehow I got the Zone2 light on the front panel. There is no way for me to disable this Zone2. The speaker picture on the front panel shows 7.1.
post #554 of 2157 Old 10-09-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanc View Post

@cavu, I have single banana plugs and only posed the question rhetorically.

I noticed that when setting up YPAO, the manual says to set the SW gain at half and the crossover at MAX. After YPAO, I saw that the crossover was set at 160 Hz.

For THX, the crossover is 80 Hz. So I just wonder what's happening.

I have a SVS SW and Klipsch speakers. Anyway, I set up the speakers manually and with a 7.1 setup, somehow I got the Zone2 light on the front panel. There is no way for me to disable this Zone2. The speaker picture on the front panel shows 7.1.

Hi Chanc
I had the same experience when I did the YPAO. The system used 160HZ for crosover and my Zone2 light came on. I was able to shut the light off and I manually changed the crossover to 110HZ. I am only using 5.1 setup though.
DEM0NWOLF likes this.
post #555 of 2157 Old 10-09-2011, 12:00 PM

I got my RX-V671 two days ago. I am having two problems. First, I have component connections between my HD cable box and my Sony SXRD tv. I have the optical cable from the tv to the receiver (AV 4) and the hdmi from the receiver to the hdmi in on the tv. I have been through every setting 50 times and can't get the tv sound to come through the receiver. I tried running the cable box to the receiver (hdmi) and then the receiver to the tv (hdmi) and it all worked. However, I was getting issues with the tv picture that may or may not be related to high winds we are having here, but I switched back to the original setup.

The second issue is the zone 2 setup. I have two speakers on my back porch that I connected to the two clip type speaker connections as it says in the owners manual. However, I can't figure out how to get any sound to come out of them.

I'm certainly no av expert, but I have hooked up my previous two systems that seemed much more user friendly.

Thanks.
post #556 of 2157 Old 10-09-2011, 12:02 PM

Does anyone have any recommended settings for music DVD's? They dont sound too hot right now.

Blu-Ray's, movie DVD's and digital cable all sound great except the music DVD's. I use a PS3.

Thanks,

MG
post #557 of 2157 Old 10-09-2011, 01:31 PM

Same here i need the recommended settings for music dvd's also it sounds not to good from pc or ps3.
post #558 of 2157 Old 10-11-2011, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splinter31 View Post

I got my RX-V671 two days ago. I am having two problems. First, I have component connections between my HD cable box and my Sony SXRD tv. I have the optical cable from the tv to the receiver (AV 4) and the hdmi from the receiver to the hdmi in on the tv. I have been through every setting 50 times and can't get the tv sound to come through the receiver. I tried running the cable box to the receiver (hdmi) and then the receiver to the tv (hdmi) and it all worked. However, I was getting issues with the tv picture that may or may not be related to high winds we are having here, but I switched back to the original setup.

The second issue is the zone 2 setup. I have two speakers on my back porch that I connected to the two clip type speaker connections as it says in the owners manual. However, I can't figure out how to get any sound to come out of them.

I'm certainly no av expert, but I have hooked up my previous two systems that seemed much more user friendly.

Thanks.

Not sure if I understand you correctly. You connected the component video connections to your TV. I assume that would be the blue, green and red cables and connections. That would provide the video from the cable box to the TV. since you did not mention coax or optical from the cable box to the tv, there will be no sound, since you did not connect any sound cable.

The HDMI should work, it is the preferred method of connection for sound and video.

Your picture problem is due to something, not sure what that would be.
post #559 of 2157 Old 10-11-2011, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley1985 View Post

Same here i need the recommended settings for music dvd's also it sounds not to good from pc or ps3.

Try this, go to option on the RM choose decoder ( I forget what is exactly the term since I am not at the Yamaha) choose prologic IIx music. Br sure to setup your speakers.
post #560 of 2157 Old 10-11-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splinter31 View Post

Thanks.

Read the manual under power amplifier assign. It needs to be changed to 7 channel plus 1 zone. From there zone 2 will work. For the other issue run component video from the set top box to the receiver (or HDMI) and optical from the set top box to the receiver. Running audio from the television is not a good idea in my experience as the television may not support the codecs in use (and will often convert audio to PCM). Run HDMI out of the receiver to the television.

Mark
post #561 of 2157 Old 10-11-2011, 02:19 PM

Well my new RX-V671 arrives tomorrow to replace an Onkyo 606 with a trashed HDMI board!

Richer Sounds (Glasgow) certainly said that this is a superior receiver compared to my old dead Onkyo.

Hopefully I've chosen a good replacement with my available budget.
post #562 of 2157 Old 10-11-2011, 02:59 PM

That did the trick chanc, Music DVD's sound awesome now!

LOVE this receiver!

oh, and finhunter, I replaced a pretty nice Onkyo myself-this thing ROCKS it.
post #563 of 2157 Old 10-12-2011, 03:34 AM

Quote:

oh, and finhunter, I replaced a pretty nice Onkyo myself-this thing ROCKS it.

Thanks for the reply, That's just what I want to hear

Got the old Onkyo out now...... what's keeping this darn delivery so long! lol
post #564 of 2157 Old 10-12-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlrvpl View Post

Just got my 671 new, and iphone connection does not work. Firmware 1.07, but I would expect it to at least work as shipped. hmmmmm

***update***

solved. user error. I was a little gun shy because although I have had several rock solid yamaha, the last one (RX-V867) failed after only about 2 weeks. Thought maybe I had another bad unit. Nope. My bad.

Now have almost everything working, and sounds great.

Hoping you can help me... I received my 671 two days ago but my iPod/iPhone aren't detected (still "no device" message on the front display).

I had checked most of the things, but I still cannot used my Apple devices.

When received, the firmware was 1.07. I've updated to 1.16 last night.
I select "USB" before connected the iPod/iPhone. Still "no device" message.
The worst of all : when I select another source, for instance "Tuner", I got no sound. When I switch off then power on again, still no sound (tuner source is selected). I have to unplug the power cable, plug again, switch on the AVR for getting sounds again. This is the same reproductible issue when trying to connect an Apple device.

Please notice that I do not have this problem with "standard" USB MP3 player or USB stick/disk... devices are recognized and I can play music.

So, guys, what's the problem ? any ideas ?

Thanks for your help !
post #565 of 2157 Old 10-12-2011, 04:41 PM

I'm not understanding how to use my Ipod Touch with this receiver.

I plug it into the USB port and the screen on my Ipod says "accessory attached" on the screen and it locks me out from being able to do anything with the Ipod?

Anyone?
post #566 of 2157 Old 10-12-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:

I'm not understanding how to use my Ipod Touch with this receiver.

I plug it into the USB port and the screen on my Ipod says "accessory attached" on the screen and it locks me out from being able to do anything with the Ipod?

Anyone?

The screen on the IPOD will lock an not let you use the buttons. You need to access the IPOD through the TV display from the Yamaha receiver.
post #567 of 2157 Old 10-12-2011, 07:48 PM

oh, is that where I will need that APPLE COMPOSITE AV cable to do so?

What is the advantage of even hooking up this way instead of just using a standard RCA cable into the receiver to use the ipod?
post #568 of 2157 Old 10-12-2011, 08:23 PM

If you're using the USB connection - If you press the "Mode" button on the remote, this will allow you to switch between:
- using the remote to control the ipod, and
- using the controls on the ipod directly.

The USB connection allows you to browse the contents of the ipod using the remote control of the 671. Song titles, album names, artist names etc. will appear on the 671 lcd display.

USB connection also charges the ipod. Ipod is switched on/off automatically together with the 671.

The standard RCA cable is an analog connection versus digital for USB.
post #569 of 2157 Old 10-13-2011, 06:25 AM

I'm looking at picking up a 671 to replace a V-863.

I have a 7.1 setup, and the 863 can't matrix 5.1 DTS-MA tracks to the surround back speakers so sound only comes out of the 5 speakers, despite using the Dolby PLIIx setting (TrueHD tracks can be matrixed to the back speakers).

I'm assuming the 671 can matrix 5.1 DTS-MA tracks to the surround back speakers using the PLIIx setting?
post #570 of 2157 Old 10-13-2011, 04:29 PM

I just bought an Apple Express for my RX-V671 and it streams music from ITunes very well. I was hoping that it could also connect to the Internet but I could not figure out how to do that. I called Apple support and they said that it will only stream from ITunes. Has anybody been successful connecting wirelessly to stream from Pandora, Rhapsody, etc. Do I need a separate adaptor to do this? If so, what are you using?

Thanks.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V671 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V671 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page