The "official" Yamaha RX-V671 thread. 7.1-Channel Network AVR - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 2155 Old 06-03-2011, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Why don't you simply call Yamaha tech support?

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
" - MLK

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 2155 Old 06-04-2011, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanth99 View Post

Now it has stopped recognizing my ipod is hooked up to it. I"m just using USB. It still charges the device, and it recognizes other USB storage, but it will not connect with the ipod. Both devices have been rebooted. I'm not sure what to do.

Did you remove and re-insert the USB cable at any time? With our HDD, mere rebooting of the drive and 671 sometimes doesnt "wake up" the USB port, so we just disconnect and reconnect and all is well. Seems that there is some sequence that our HDD/receiver combo prefers, still trying to figure it out. A minor annoyance that could probly be fixed via firmware, or perhaps its our particular HDD. Let us know what happens...
post #33 of 2155 Old 06-04-2011, 01:29 PM

Yeah, I did detach the cable, tried a USB stick, tried a different iPod, rebooted both deviced while disconnected from each other. The USB stick works fine, played mp3s from it, no problem.

I had called tech support, and was on hold til my phone battery died. Thought I'd give you lot a shot. I'm on hold again now... have been for over 30 minutes already.
post #34 of 2155 Old 06-05-2011, 02:10 AM

Did you get that USB situation fixed? I am waiting for my 671 to be delivered this week! Can't wait!
post #35 of 2155 Old 06-05-2011, 09:20 AM

Yes, tech support was able to fix it. The bad part was it involved doing a reset to factory settings, so I had to spend a good amount of time reconfiguring all my settings. Definitely preferable to having to exchange it for another one tho! I wouldn't count this as a negative towards the hardware tho, issues pop up, especially in a new model... and USB can be fickle!
post #36 of 2155 Old 06-05-2011, 07:41 PM

I have a simple question.

I'm getting the RX-V671 this week and I am planning my setup.

DVD Player, Comcast DVR, XBox 360 and PS3 will all be hooked up via HDMI. Then, of course, I'll use the HDMI output to the TV. Pretty simple.

My question is....I record a lot of sports (hockey, soccer..ect) onto DVDs using my VHS/DVD recorder combo unit. Normally I just use the basic yellow/red/white to go straight from my cable box to my VHS/DVD recorder unit. I see the 671 has the dedicated AV Out in the back. So could I just hookup my VHS/DVD recorder to the 671 and be able to record from all sources connected to the 671?

Any and all help would be appreciated! Thanks!
post #37 of 2155 Old 06-05-2011, 08:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townielax5JPL View Post

I have a simple question.

I'm getting the RX-V671 this week and I am planning my setup.

DVD Player, Comcast DVR, XBox 360 and PS3 will all be hooked up via HDMI. Then, of course, I'll use the HDMI output to the TV. Pretty simple.

My question is....I record a lot of sports (hockey, soccer..ect) onto DVDs using my VHS/DVD recorder combo unit. Normally I just use the basic yellow/red/white to go straight from my cable box to my VHS/DVD recorder unit. I see the 671 has the dedicated AV Out in the back. So could I just hookup my VHS/DVD recorder to the 671 and be able to record from all sources connected to the 671?

Any and all help would be appreciated! Thanks!

No, you cannot output analog from digital sources. But if you connect the analog inputs from the cable box to the same input as the cable box HDMI, they will get passed through. I find it's best to bypass the AVR for recording, so you are not dependent on the AVR being switched to that input for recording to take place.
post #38 of 2155 Old 06-06-2011, 09:53 PM

I recently purchased the 867 and can not for the life of me get it to play .flac without using ps3 media server-therefor transcoding...
My set up looks like:

HTPC windows 7 Ultimate-music and movie storage
Wired home network via linksys E1000
Directv dvr
PS3 slim
rx v867
50" panasonic plasma

I am currently using WMP12 as software.Network sees all devices and I can access the 867 thru PC setting on receiver.It will play MP3 and WAV files fine.
I`m using Xiph,org open codec to play the .flac files in WMP.And WMP tag plus for metadata tagging. I was under the impression the 867 could natively play .flac?
When I put a flac file in the "Play To" link in WMP it comes up with a red x and states :
" Failed to retrieve media information from media server-
The selected media cannot be played on the device.Either the format is not supported or the computer or storage device that contains the media is offline." I know the network is working correctly>as i am listening to Pantera-.MP3 right now via the same setup.
Any ideas as to what could be the problem??
I have a feeling it may be a metadata-tagging incompatibility issue-?
post #39 of 2155 Old 06-07-2011, 09:12 AM

The diff between TX-NR609 (Onkyo) and RX-V671 is about $150. Is this unit worth extra $150? I really like this Receiver.
post #40 of 2155 Old 06-08-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braccio View Post

I recently purchased the 867 and can not for the life of me get it to play .flac without using ps3 media server-therefor transcoding...
My set up looks like:

HTPC windows 7 Ultimate-music and movie storage
Wired home network via linksys E1000
Directv dvr
PS3 slim
rx v867
50" panasonic plasma

I am currently using WMP12 as software.Network sees all devices and I can access the 867 thru PC setting on receiver.It will play MP3 and WAV files fine.
I`m using Xiph,org open codec to play the .flac files in WMP.And WMP tag plus for metadata tagging. I was under the impression the 867 could natively play .flac?
When I put a flac file in the "Play To" link in WMP it comes up with a red x and states :
" Failed to retrieve media information from media server-
The selected media cannot be played on the device.Either the format is not supported or the computer or storage device that contains the media is offline." I know the network is working correctly>as i am listening to Pantera-.MP3 right now via the same setup.
Any ideas as to what could be the problem??
I have a feeling it may be a metadata-tagging incompatibility issue-?

Did you try asking in the dedicated RX-V667/RX-V867 thread? People over there might have more experience with your specific receiver and may be able to help you better in resolving your issue?

Good luck,
-Topper
post #41 of 2155 Old 06-11-2011, 12:33 PM

So I'm a newbie as I haven't updated a receiver for 12 years. My old Yamaha had on the back a plug-in for a power source so I could use wireless speakers outside. I just noticed that my new RX-V671 doesn't have that or anywhere to plug in for the audio signal. Maybe I'm missing something here, but apparently I can't use these speakers anymore with this receiver??
post #42 of 2155 Old 06-13-2011, 10:33 AM

Is HDMI passthrough working properly?
post #43 of 2155 Old 06-13-2011, 09:11 PM

I have a RX-V671. When I first set up the unit I experienced sound problems where there was no sound for 5.1 cable programs. I discovered that changing to a 2 channel stereo cable program would start the sound working. If I then switched to a 5.1 cable program the sound would work just fine.

I have now had the RX-V671 for 5 days. Tonight, the video started blinking on and off. The blinking was erratic and more off than on. I discovered that if I started on a 5.1 program with no sound the video did not blink. If I switched to a 2 channel program the sound came on and the blinking started.

The blinking is ocurring across all components BD, WDTV, and cable which tends to rule out a bad cable box. My setup is all input devices go into the RX-V671 via HDMI 1.4. Sound is output directly to my speakers. Video is routed to the TV through video out via HDMI 1.4. I accepted an firmware update when I first set up the unit. I am not using HDMI control.

I have found nothing in the manual that addresses either the sound ov video problems. In most cases my settings for the unit are the default values. Anyone have any thougts?
post #44 of 2155 Old 06-14-2011, 12:59 AM

Hey Guys, I just got the 671 and I was updating a 10yr old receiver for my game rm. I just learned about the presence speakers. My set up is in a 12 x 12 rm and my couch is on the back wall. Would it be better to use 7.1 or 5.1 with presence. I just can't find much info on which is better without putting holes in my walls to test it out. Also, which mode uses the presence IIx and do I have to use dialogue lift? This is mainly for games and blu rays. Thanks
post #45 of 2155 Old 06-14-2011, 04:55 AM

Liked: 11
Hi all.

I am thinking about getting a RX-V671 as well and would like to hear any impressions you may have. For example, how well does the YPAO work? I have a very odd shaped room and wonder how well it compensates for speaker placement.

Any opinions are welcome.

TIA.
post #46 of 2155 Old 06-14-2011, 05:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecG View Post
I have now had the RX-V671 for 5 days. Tonight, the video started blinking on and off. The blinking was erratic and more off than on. I discovered that if I started on a 5.1 program with no sound the video did not blink. If I switched to a 2 channel program the sound came on and the blinking started.

The blinking is ocurring across all components BD, WDTV, and cable which tends to rule out a bad cable box. My setup is all input devices go into the RX-V671 via HDMI 1.4. Sound is output directly to my speakers. Video is routed to the TV through video out via HDMI 1.4. I accepted an firmware update when I first set up the unit. I am not using HDMI control.

I have found nothing in the manual that addresses either the sound ov video problems. In most cases my settings for the unit are the default values. Anyone have any thougts?
Sounds a lot like a HDMI cable problem. Start by replacing the cable from AVR to TV.
post #47 of 2155 Old 06-14-2011, 09:22 AM

I just got my receiver yesterday. Currently I am not connected to my network. Does this unit have a new firmware update available on Yamaha site? How can I update new firmware if there is one available.
post #48 of 2155 Old 06-14-2011, 09:28 AM

Does any one have program the SCENE button. I read the manual and tried it but does not seems to be working correctly. Can someone please help me.
post #49 of 2155 Old 06-14-2011, 09:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambavi View Post

I just got my receiver yesterday. Currently I am not connected to my network. Does this unit have a new firmware update available on Yamaha site? How can I update new firmware if there is one available.

There are no updates yet, you can check for yourself.
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio...product_lineup

Are there known problems that you are concerned about? Strange that you're asking about updates already and you've only had the receiver for 24 hrs.

Afro GT
post #50 of 2155 Old 06-14-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

There are no updates yet, you can check for yourself.
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio...product_lineup

Are there known problems that you are concerned about? Strange that you're asking about updates already and you've only had the receiver for 24 hrs.

Thanks for quick response. No, I do not have any issue with this unit. I was just checking to see if there is any update. Usually it takes few weeks to bring product to store from the mfg. plant and I thought the software loaded in this unit may be few months old.
post #51 of 2155 Old 06-14-2011, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambavi View Post

Does any one have program the SCENE button.

Set up the inputs, surround sound preferences, etc., then PRESS AND HOLD the "scene" button you want to save the configuration to. Same as setting buttons on a car radio.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
" - MLK

post #52 of 2155 Old 06-17-2011, 03:49 PM

Hi, long time lurker, but first post.

Can someone please confirm that the Volume OSD can be turned on/off for the V671 unlike that of the previous model X67 series? I do not want to see the volume bar come on/off every time I adjust the volume in a movie.

I tried to download the manual from Yamaha, but does not want to cooperate.

Thanks.
post #53 of 2155 Old 06-17-2011, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyxxx View Post

Can someone please confirm that the Volume OSD can be turned on/off

Yes, it can be toggled.

" - MLK

post #54 of 2155 Old 06-17-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu View Post

Yes, it can be toggled.

Thank you very much.
post #55 of 2155 Old 06-22-2011, 07:13 AM

Hi all,
I'm trying to play mp3 files from my lan media server(s) on my rx-v671 but when I press the Net button and select PC my receiver not find any media server on the lan and display "no content". In detail this is my configuration:

- The receiver has a proper IP configuration: IP: 192.168.0.26/24 - GW: 192.168.0.254 - DNS: 192.168.0.254
- The receiver can access the internet i.e. I can play music from internet radio station
- The media server(s) has(have) a proper IP configuration: IP 192.168.0.14(or 16 or 15)/24 - GW: 192.168.0.254 - DNS: 192.168.0.254 and it can ping the receiver
- I've tried several machine on the lan as media server:
1) Windows XP and Windows Media Player 11
2) Windows 7 and Windows Media Player 12
3) Ubuntu 11.04 and Mediatomb media server
All of them can browse and play music from other two machines (except XP that cannot act as uPnp client). All of them has no firewall active and can ping the receiver

- The receiver is the only one that cannot access the three media server

Is there anybody than can help me please? Am I missing some configuration steps?
Many Thanks.
post #56 of 2155 Old 06-22-2011, 07:48 AM

Is there anything the 671 has (besides the front USB port) that the 867 doesn't have that would make it preferable? Because from all the reading I've done over the last couple days, it looks like the 867 has a whole lot more high end features the 671 doesn't have, but everything else is the same except the front USB port. That and the 867 can be had for $50-100 cheaper. Anyone have any additional facts or opinions?
post #57 of 2155 Old 06-22-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluinside View Post

Hi all,
I'm trying to play mp3 files from my lan media server(s) on my rx-v671 but when I press the Net button and select PC my receiver not find any media server on the lan and display "no content". In detail this is my configuration:

- The receiver has a proper IP configuration: IP: 192.168.0.26/24 - GW: 192.168.0.254 - DNS: 192.168.0.254
- The receiver can access the internet i.e. I can play music from internet radio station
- The media server(s) has(have) a proper IP configuration: IP 192.168.0.14(or 16 or 15)/24 - GW: 192.168.0.254 - DNS: 192.168.0.254 and it can ping the receiver
- I've tried several machine on the lan as media server:
1) Windows XP and Windows Media Player 11
2) Windows 7 and Windows Media Player 12
3) Ubuntu 11.04 and Mediatomb media server
All of them can browse and play music from other two machines (except XP that cannot act as uPnp client). All of them has no firewall active and can ping the receiver

- The receiver is the only one that cannot access the three media server

Is there anybody than can help me please? Am I missing some configuration steps?
Many Thanks.

Last minute update!!!
In my configuration I have three switch between receiver and media server.
If I connect the rx-v671 to the same switch of the media server than the receiver can connect to the media server and play music

How is it possible?!?

SOLVED!!
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/900164
post #58 of 2155 Old 06-22-2011, 08:57 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoram View Post

Is there anything the 671 has (besides the front USB port) that the 867 doesn't have that would make it preferable? Because from all the reading I've done over the last couple days, it looks like the 867 has a whole lot more high end features the 671 doesn't have, but everything else is the same except the front USB port. That and the 867 can be had for $50-100 cheaper. Anyone have any additional facts or opinions?

At first glance, the 671 has the new GUI which can be controlled by a web browser. As I understand it, the new GUI is much nicer than the old one.

I am in the market for a new receiver so I am researching this as well.

The 867 does have pre-outs for 7.2 which is a big deal apparently.

I'm going to have to take a closer look at the 867 now.
post #59 of 2155 Old 06-22-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcoupe View Post

The 867 does have pre-outs for 7.2 which is a big deal apparently.

771 has pre-out too.
post #60 of 2155 Old 06-22-2011, 09:12 AM

Yeah this is kind of a weird situation to be in right now - I really don't need the high end features of the 867, and would kind of like the web control and better GUI of the 671, but I also like the cheaper price of the 867...

The actual information about the GUI and control capabilities of each one available online is pretty abysmal.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V671 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V671 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page