The "official" Yamaha RX-V671 thread. 7.1-Channel Network AVR - Page 22 - AVS Forum
First ... 20  21  22 23  24  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > The "official" Yamaha RX-V671 thread. 7.1-Channel Network AVR
Zuk109's Avatar Zuk109 10:39 PM 11-16-2011
Previous Onkyo owner, this is my first Yamaha. I know it's probably been discussed but when watching cable the avr shows Dolby Digital, but when watching my first movie tonight "Thor" on the PS3 it showed PCM then I toggled it to Straight? What exactly is "Straight", when watching movies before the Onkyo always showed DTS or DD. Is "Straight" the preferred listening mode? I have a lot of reading to do, just wondering if someone can give me a quick heads up on what exactly Straight means, and is it playing DD or DTS?

Prior to my Onkyo I had an HK and it too always showed whatever the surround mode was, Straight is a new one for me. Can anyone break it down in layman terms? Thanks in advance!

jae77's Avatar jae77 09:02 AM 11-17-2011
i have a quick question - i'm looking to replace a kenwood vr-407 receiver (it's been surprisingly good to me these past 10 years, but it's time for something with upgraded inputs, etc).

i'm looking at the rx-667 and the rx-671...

my question is, would it be safe to remove the feet from the bottom of the rx-671 and just let it sit on the glass shelf in my entertainment stand?

the height between the shelves is around 6 1/4 inches, so the 667 would fit in there perfectly but the 671 is a tad too tall, but w/o the feet, it would fit.

would this be something safe to do or would i risk the unit overheating?
rdgrimes's Avatar rdgrimes 09:07 AM 11-17-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jae77 View Post

the height between the shelves is around 6 1/4 inches, so the 667 would fit in there perfectly but the 671 is a tad too tall, but w/o the feet, it would fit.

would this be something safe to do or would i risk the unit overheating?

Not recommended, suggest going with the 667 if you can get one. You've already got limited space above so even with the feet there's a risk for overheating.
Jamy's Avatar Jamy 09:59 AM 11-17-2011
I am looking at either an Onkyo, Pioneer, or Yamaha Av receiver for my new Sharp 3d LED.

The compressed music enhancer feature of the Yamaha's is intriguing to me. What are your oppinions on it? Does it actually work? Do MP3's and Itunes files sound better? Is it worth the price premium over other brands?

Thanks,
swolfcg's Avatar swolfcg 02:11 PM 11-17-2011
I'm sure most of the senior people on this board know this, but I keep hearing complaints and warnings about new Yamaha rcvrs, due to the onscreen volume notification.

I was trying to resolve a incompatibility issue between my DVD and Rcv and I came across the how to disable Onscreen Volume notification in the Manual. On Pg. 98 under Short Message. It's defaulted to On, but can be turned off, if this is a nuisances.

Select On Screen-->Setup-->Function-->Display Set-->Short Message-->Off

There, now there is now no excuse for people to complain about this anymore.
Zuk109's Avatar Zuk109 02:21 PM 11-17-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by swolfcg View Post

I'm sure most of the senior people on this board know this, but I keep hearing complaints and warnings about new Yamaha rcvrs, due to the onscreen volume notification.

I was trying to resolve a incompatibility issue between my DVD and Rcv and I came across the how to disable Onscreen Volume notification in the Manual. On Pg. 98 under Short Message. It's defaulted to On, but can be turned off, if this is a nuisances.

Select On Screen-->Setup-->Function-->Display Set-->Short Message-->Off

There, now there is now no excuse for people to complain about this anymore.

It's been mentioned before, the new line has this ability, however last years do NOT!
swolfcg's Avatar swolfcg 02:25 PM 11-17-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuk109 View Post

It's been mentioned before, the new line has this ability, however last years do NOT!

Really? That sucks. Would a software update help?

I did a search and see that now, but people are still warning others away from this receiver and giving it a bad review due to something that can possibly be changed. I just read someone else stating he will never buy a Yahama b/c the Onscreen Volume Display, so not everyone knows.
Zuk109's Avatar Zuk109 03:27 PM 11-17-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by swolfcg View Post

Really? That sucks. Would a software update help?

I did a search and see that now, but people are still warning others away from this receiver and giving it a bad review due to something that can possibly be changed. I just read someone else stating he will never buy a Yahama b/c the Onscreen Volume Display, so not everyone knows.

There have been several software updates previously for the x67 line, none of which has addressed that issue.

I for one was adamant about not buying the 867 due to that issue, however after now seeing the OSD on the 671 it's not as big a deal as I thought it would be. The OSD is only on for a second(1 second) after the volume adjustment is made, I still prefer it to be off but it now wouldn't stop me from buying last years models.
Zuk109's Avatar Zuk109 08:21 PM 11-17-2011
Can anybody help with why I only get "Straight" when pressing the Sound Decode button? I've pressed it multiple times to try and get it to cycle through different settings like DD or DTS or Dolby Pro Logic II but I get nothing except for Straight.

I will go through the owners manual over the weekend but don't have time right now, can anyone give me a clue as to what I'm doing wrong?
rdgrimes's Avatar rdgrimes 09:50 PM 11-17-2011
Quote:

Can anybody help with why I only get "Straight" when pressing the Sound Decode button? I've pressed it multiple times to try and get it to cycle through different settings like DD or DTS or Dolby Pro Logic II but I get nothing except for Straight.

I will go through the owners manual over the weekend but don't have time right now, can anyone give me a clue as to what I'm doing wrong?

Decoders are not available when the input source is 5.1. To apply extended surround decoders to 5.1 audio you have to use the "Extended Surround" setting. Otherwise the AVR uses whatever decoder is indicated by the flag in the 5.1 stream. That's what "straight" mode means.
Zuk109's Avatar Zuk109 10:36 PM 11-17-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Decoders are not available when the input source is 5.1. To apply extended surround decoders to 5.1 audio you have to use the "Extended Surround" setting. Otherwise the AVR uses whatever decoder is indicated by the flag in the 5.1 stream. That's what "straight" mode means.

So Straight just passes whatever it's being fed? Do I understand that properly? That said then why during playback of Thor on my PS3 did it show PCM instead of DTS or DD?

Sorry for my ignorance but this is my first Yamaha and never seen any other receiver that displayed Straight or PCM. I'm guessing this is just a Yamaha thing.

Thanks for your help!
JChin's Avatar JChin 10:54 PM 11-17-2011
Quote:

That said then why during playback of Thor on my PS3 did it show PCM instead of DTS or DD?

Hi Zuk109, some questions. Is the PS3 a fat or slim? Is Thor disc a blu-ray or dvd? And is the PS3 connected to V671 via HDMI?
Zuk109's Avatar Zuk109 11:08 PM 11-17-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi Zuk109, some questions. Is the PS3 a fat or slim? Is Thor disc a blu-ray or dvd? And is the PS3 connected to V671 via HDMI?

It's the original PS3, the same one that was hooked to my Onkyo, however now that I think about it i ran the audio from the PS3 to the Onkyo with a digital audio cable. With the Yamaha it is all being run through HDMI. Also it was the standard DVD not BluRay but that is what I always watched in the past thru the Onkyo as well.

I did go into my audio settings in my PS3 and set it to automatic as far as decoding was concerned. Was there another menu I needed to go into to set up the HDMI audio properly?
JChin's Avatar JChin 11:22 PM 11-17-2011
Quote:

It's the original PS3, the same one that was hooked to my Onkyo, however now that I think about it i ran the audio from the PS3 to the Onkyo with a digital audio cable. With the Yamaha it is all being run through HDMI. Also it was the standard DVD not BluRay but that is what I always watched in the past thru the Onkyo as well.

I did go into my audio settings in my PS3 and set it to automatic as far as decoding was concerned. Was there another menu I needed to go into to set up the HDMI audio properly?

Since you're playing a standard dvd, set PS3 "BD/DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI)" to Bitstream (but when playing a blu-ray set it to Linear PCM) found under Video Settings. And also check that "Audio Multi-Output" is set to Off found under Sound Settings.
Zuk109's Avatar Zuk109 12:03 AM 11-18-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Since you're playing a standard dvd, set PS3 "BD/DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI)" to Bitstream (but when playing a blu-ray set it to Linear PCM) found under Video Settings. And also check that "Audio Multi-Output" is set to Off found under Sound Settings.

Yes the Multi Output is set to off. However I didn't adjust anything under video settings so I will check that out, thanks!

Guess I should just start renting BluRays now that Netflix offers the new titles as such.

The whole Yamaha "Straight" function is new to me as its my first Yamaha. Do I understand the "Staight" mode properly? Is it just allowing the source ie: cable/PS3 to pass the audio through, whatever format is being output?

As always thanks for your time, it's greatly appreciated.
metaledge's Avatar metaledge 05:40 PM 11-19-2011
If Media Sharing from WMP Library is not working, turn on Enable Multicast Streams in your router's settings (DLink DIR-655 in my case under Advanced -> Advanced Network). I was TEARING my hair out trying to figure out why my library wasn't showing up on my receiver. Turned on that setting and boom... works like a charm!
jorel9's Avatar jorel9 08:30 PM 11-19-2011
Got this receiver last week for $349 from the egg. Because of work, i'm only just going to set it up tomorrow. I'm only reading this thread on my iphone and there are 45 pages. So i'm just going to ask instead of going through all 45 pages.
I'll be connecting ps3, my media player and direct tv on this receiver via hdmi ofcourse. If i turn the receiver off, can i still watch any show from any of those? I don't want to use the receiver if i just want to watch the news. I apologize in advance if this a simple question, but i'm really new to this. Thanks in advance.
cbhpi's Avatar cbhpi 05:27 AM 11-20-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorel9 View Post

Got this receiver last week for $349 from the egg. Because of work, i'm only just going to set it up tomorrow. I'm only reading this thread on my iphone and there are 45 pages. So i'm just going to ask instead of going through all 45 pages.
I'll be connecting ps3, my media player and direct tv on this receiver via hdmi ofcourse. If i turn the receiver off, can i still watch any show from any of those? I don't want to use the receiver if i just want to watch the news. I apologize in advance if this a simple question, but i'm really new to this. Thanks in advance.

Yes. Since you're new to this, be sure to read the owner's manual thoroughly!
JChin's Avatar JChin 09:28 AM 11-20-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ;21234580 View Post

If i turn the receiver off, can i still watch any show from any of those? I don't want to use the receiver if i just want to watch the news. I apologize in advance if this a simple question, but i'm really new to this. Thanks in advance.

Hi jorel9, yes it can ... Setup -> HDMI menu -> Standby Through
jorel9's Avatar jorel9 10:37 AM 11-20-2011
Thanks for the reply. I'm on the process of hooking this up now. Hopefully i won't have any problem.
ralfoide's Avatar ralfoide 03:35 PM 11-25-2011
I'm considering getting an RX-V671 and I have a few noob questions that I don't see answered in the online manual nor this thread:

1- I'm interested in accessing my music collection from a USB stick and/or my Synology NAS via DLNA and I was hoping I could control the playlist either from the Android app or from the web page. Is that possible? E.g. does the Android app allow one to select the album to play? The Android app screenshots don't show much besides changing volume or inputs.

2- Does it support things like m3u playlists or playing a queue of albums? (via the android app or the remote or the receiver's web page)

3- Speaking of the receiver's control web page, the OM specifies IE is recommended. Does it work with Firefox and Chrome too? I don't have IE around so I hope it's not one of these ActiveX ridden pages.

4- When playing from USB or DLNA, do I need to use the TV display or can I control it via the remote and just the on-device display?

Out of curiosity, what's the difference between the RX-V671 and the RX-A710? Features seem the same yet the latter is +$100.
imac20051's Avatar imac20051 08:56 AM 11-28-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralfoide View Post

I'm considering getting an RX-V671 and I have a few noob questions that I don't see answered in the online manual nor this thread:

1- I'm interested in accessing my music collection from a USB stick and/or my Synology NAS via DLNA and I was hoping I could control the playlist either from the Android app or from the web page. Is that possible? E.g. does the Android app allow one to select the album to play? The Android app screenshots don't show much besides changing volume or inputs.

2- Does it support things like m3u playlists or playing a queue of albums? (via the android app or the remote or the receiver's web page)

3- Speaking of the receiver's control web page, the OM specifies IE is recommended. Does it work with Firefox and Chrome too? I don't have IE around so I hope it's not one of these ActiveX ridden pages.

4- When playing from USB or DLNA, do I need to use the TV display or can I control it via the remote and just the on-device display?

Out of curiosity, what's the difference between the RX-V671 and the RX-A710? Features seem the same yet the latter is +$100.

1. Sounds like android app is ready and available now, I am using the iPhone app, works fine for all control, however...yes I found an issue, the PC streaming is giving me problems, when I stream from PC, all MP3 music, I make a selection and it does not play the right song, the names and actual file that plays does not match up.

2. have not tried play lists...

3. Chrome worked, ie9 worked.

4. control has to be done via the tv display.

not sure of other differences.
imac20051's Avatar imac20051 09:00 AM 11-28-2011
Has anyone else run into an issue streaming music from PC? I can get it to play, however the wrong file is playing. I select a file from the iPhone or the TV display, however the wrong file is playing. I've opened the PC streaming and waited up to 30 minutes in case it was loading my library...(600+ MP3) Yet it never showed a progress or anything, so I'm assuming it loads as you go.

I select a song from the TV display and music plays, but it's a completly different song, doesn't miss by a song or two, but a whole different folder!

Any suggestions?
2ndvizio's Avatar 2ndvizio 12:37 PM 11-29-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by imac20051 View Post

Has anyone else run into an issue streaming music from PC? I can get it to play, however the wrong file is playing. I select a file from the iPhone or the TV display, however the wrong file is playing. I've opened the PC streaming and waited up to 30 minutes in case it was loading my library...(600+ MP3) Yet it never showed a progress or anything, so I'm assuming it loads as you go.

I select a song from the TV display and music plays, but it's a completly different song, doesn't miss by a song or two, but a whole different folder!

Any suggestions?

I just got the 671 and had the same problem. Found the issue was that I selected the random option so it randomly picks the song instead of the one you selected. Turning that off fixed the problem.
grnxf's Avatar grnxf 08:56 AM 12-03-2011
Anyone else checked out the new stream-directly-from-your-handheld device to the 671 feature? Looks like its their homebrew version of the iDevice-to-built-in-Airtunes that Pioneer and a few other receiver manufacturers are now offering. Its in version 2.0 of the AV controller app for both platforms released a few days ago. Anyway, if you go to the main screen for each zone, up to the right is a little box with a few musical notes. Pressing that causes the 671 to switch to PC input, displays the name of your device ("Jean's ipod") up on the app screen as the current source, and allows you to browse the contents of your devices media library. Problem is that we havent been able to actually get it to playback any music files from either ipod touches or android device. Instead, a brief little scrollbar pops up top of app saying "unable to play". Tried MP3, aac, wav, etc, etc and nothing wants to play. ALL other PC sources on our network browse/stream just fine. Anyone else having any luck with this? It could be a great feature if it works as easily as Apple's Airtunes thing.
jorel9's Avatar jorel9 03:53 PM 12-03-2011
I'm using the iphone app version and so far it is perfect. It looks and works just like the music part of my iphone except that the sound comes out of the receiver. Awesome!!!
tbullet's Avatar tbullet 04:15 PM 12-03-2011
Looks like another update is available. I just purchased a new router today and connected my devices and the amp listed a new update was available.

I did some research online and found this on the European Yamaha site.

RX-V671 Firmware Update Version 1.18

Yamaha is pleased to offer the following firmware update to ensure the best possible performance and latest features for your AV receiver.

This firmware includes the following improvements.
1. Improves USB connectivity with iPod and iPhone
2. Fixes minor bugs

CHECK THE UNIT'S FIRMWARE VERSION PRIOR TO THIS UPDATE
On the remote control, press the ON SCREEN button.
Select Information > System . Your current firmware version is displayed on TV.
If your firmware version is 1.18 or higher, the AV receiver is already up-to-date.

If not, conduct firmware update by following the instruction.

Registered Date : 29/11/2011
Language : English
File Size : 19.46 MB

Anyone else get this update?

It seems to be working OK.
imac20051's Avatar imac20051 08:57 PM 12-03-2011
I'd like to know if there is a way to set all the settings on the reciever back to factory defaults. I am still having trouble getting the PC (mp3) streaming to work. I've disabled all firewall and even tried a 3rd party media server no serviio? Both the Serviio and WMP12 (windows 7) show up in the reciever but when i select the music option on the reciever, it shows "no content" i checked my router and there is no option for streaming. What is weird is that this worked a week ago, nothing has changed on my computer or network. The problem before as that i would select a song and the wrong one would play. Now i dont even get a list of folders or music or anything just "no content."
Is there a way to force a firmware upgrade or factory defaults, I can't find anything in the menu about that.
Thanks!
GeSchmidtt's Avatar GeSchmidtt 10:40 PM 12-03-2011
Am loving my new RX-V671, but have a couple of issues. It easily finds my PC and can read folders including music, video and pictures. It will play music, but even though it can list pictures and video, they are grayed out. I have tried several media servers, including Messmo and TVMOBiLi, and WMP, which all display the folders and similarly display the picture and video names grayed out. The media servers display the pictures on the PC, so it is not an issue with the server. Ideas? Thanks.
murffee1's Avatar murffee1 07:17 AM 12-04-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbullet View Post

Looks like another update is available. I just purchased a new router today and connected my devices and the amp listed a new update was available.

I did some research online and found this on the European Yamaha site.

RX-V671 Firmware Update Version 1.18

Yamaha is pleased to offer the following firmware update to ensure the best possible performance and latest features for your AV receiver.

This firmware includes the following improvements.
1. Improves USB connectivity with iPod and iPhone
2. Fixes minor bugs

CHECK THE UNIT'S FIRMWARE VERSION PRIOR TO THIS UPDATE
On the remote control, press the ON SCREEN button.
Select Information > System . Your current firmware version is displayed on TV.
If your firmware version is 1.18 or higher, the AV receiver is already up-to-date.

If not, conduct firmware update by following the instruction.

Registered Date : 29/11/2011
Language : English
File Size : 19.46 MB

Anyone else get this update?

It seems to be working OK.

tbullet...Thanks for the heads-up on the update. I just finished running it. It took about 15 minutes and everything seems to be working fine. However, the Yamaha website doesn't list the update yet. They still have the latest as version 1.16.
Tags: Yamaha Rx V671 Receiver
First ... 20  21  22 23  24  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop