The "official" Yamaha RX-V671 thread. 7.1-Channel Network AVR - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 2150 Old 12-18-2011, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbhpi View Post

Answer to question 2: I don't fully understand your question, but I'll answer it this way: The AX won't simultaneously stream music from your i-tunes library and supply internet content through the ethernet port. When you've configured your AX to stream music wirelessly (placed it in "client mode"), the ethernet port is disabled.

That has not been my experience. I can both wirelessly stream music from my iTunes library to the AirPort Express, which is output to the receiver using the 1/8" connector and connect to the Internet using the ethernet port. My AirPort Express connects to an AirPort network established by an AirPort Extreme so they are connected using WDS (Wireless Distribution System) so that may be the difference between my network you yours.

Quote:

Edit: Almost forgot: Connecting two AXs would allow both functions simultaneously.

Not necessary in my case. One AirPort Express works fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2150 Old 12-18-2011, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcerullo View Post

That has not been my experience. I can both wirelessly stream music from my iTunes library to the AirPort Express, which is output to the receiver using the 1/8" connector and connect to the Internet using the ethernet port. My AirPort Express connects to an AirPort network established by an AirPort Extreme so they are connected using WDS (Wireless Distribution System) so that may be the difference between my network you yours.

Not necessary in my case. One AirPort Express works fine.

The Apple Express is very versatile. When I answered the other poster's questions, I was aware that it could be set up and used in the manner you have described. However, I assumed (maybe improperly) that the OP didn't have an Airport Extreme and wouldn't be interested in getting one.

Addendum: Since responding to your post, I've read several articles that indicate that newer Apple Express units can simultaneously stream music and supply internet content through the ethernet port using a third-party router, as opposed to an Apple Extreme. To do so, place the Express in "ProxySta" mode by setting up the Express to join a wireless network and enabling the Allow Ethernet Clients setting. Both settings are located in the Wireless tab of AirPort Utility. The feature should work with any wireless network: a, b, g, or n; and 5GHz or 2.4GHz. The Express must also be updated to firmware 7.3.1 (or above) for this feature to appear. The third-party router must support ProxySta, which goes by several names depending on manufacturer's preference. I have not tested this setup with my Express. The articles indicate that this method is actually better and easier to set up than WDS.
post #723 of 2150 Old 12-18-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olorin2761 View Post

Everything seemed to fine until I started noticing some things no longer worked. Specifically, the Surround Decode selector button on the remote will no longer cycle through the different modes. The only choices are regular Dolby Pro Logic and Straight. The rest of the surround decode modes are no longer available. One other little peculiarity is that I lost the on-screen volume display when watching through my Dish DVR. However, the on-screen volume display works just fine when watching my Roku or my DVD player. Very strange.

The update to v1.18 went without problem both on my receiver and the one my brother bought.

I've found that if the audio signal is a multi-channel digital source the only option I get is 'Straight.' If the source is PCM or a digital stereo signal I get all the various Pro Logic modes when pressing the 'SUR. DECODE' button. Double check that the source signal is something other than a multi-channel digital signal.

As for the on-screen volume display, that is strange. Try turning the feature off and then on again to see if it restores it to all modes. See 'Short Message' on page 93 of the manual.

If that doesn't work try disconnecting the receiver from the AC power source for a short time to see if that helps to reset it back to proper behaviour.
post #724 of 2150 Old 12-18-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by js668 View Post

I just purchased a 671. My question is if I go into several inputs and use the up arrow key it gives me the option to assign video out. I use HMDI 2 with is coming from my Dish Receiver. When I for instance go to net radio... I can now see the tv but no audio from the dishnetwork receiver to the tv speakers, through the HDMI cable... Is this normal or am I missing something?

I think you need to go back to the 'Input' settings where you made the change and you will see that what you changed was the 'Audio In' source not the 'Video Out.'
post #725 of 2150 Old 12-19-2011, 07:42 AM

Liked: 12
Just heard back from the repair facility. Looks like my Frnt Rt Channel failure was due to a bad relay. I just purchased this last month from Newegg. Hopefully it will stay fixed.
post #726 of 2150 Old 12-19-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olorin2761 View Post

I posted a request several days ago about problems I had with the latest firmware update, but had absolutely no responses. My new 671 was working great until I networked it. After a while I got a message that a new firmware update was available. I followed the instructions, installed the update to version 1.18 and rebooted the receiver.

Everything seemed to fine until I started noticing some things no longer worked. Specifically, the Surround Decode selector button on the remote will no longer cycle through the different modes. The only choices are regular Dolby Pro Logic and Straight. The rest of the surround decode modes are no longer available. One other little peculiarity is that I lost the on-screen volume display when watching through my Dish DVR. However, the on-screen volume display works just fine when watching my Roku or my DVD player. Very strange.

My question was if had anyone else had a problem with the firmware update to version 1.18, and was it possible to back level the firmware to version 1.16? My 671 works "okay", but it's not "right" like it was before the update, but I'm reluctant to try anything it without a little more information. So, once again, does anyone know if the update can be undone?

I've had issues, but it wasn't due to the update. I reinstalled 1.16 after installing 1.18, just to see if that helped. You can download 1.16 onto a thumbdrive from Yamaha's site, then use that to roll your rcvr back.

Connect the thumb drive to your receiver. Press Straight repeatedly to Select "USB" or "Network" and press Info to start firmware update.

If you do decide to do this, you will probably get a msg from your receiver that there is a newer firmware version available. That is, if you have it connected to your network.
post #727 of 2150 Old 12-19-2011, 08:53 AM

Hello all-
I'm interested in this receiver and have a question. I don’t have an Ethernet hardwire to run where I’m placing the receiver, does anyone have a recommendation for a Wi-Fi adapter and will it work?
post #728 of 2150 Old 12-19-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blambert007 View Post

Hello all-
I'm interested in this receiver and have a question. I don’t have an Ethernet hardwire to run where I’m placing the receiver, does anyone have a recommendation for a Wi-Fi adapter and will it work?

If there is any way to run a long cable, I would advise that, because good adapters aren't cheap. You can buy a long cable run and just put connectors on the ends.

I recenly purchased Belkin's new wireless adapter bridge for the tv in my bedroom. Macmall listed this item as a preorder for $16.99, which was a mistake, but that's what I got it for. The item's price has since been corrected, and can now be had for $70 at most places online.

You might also want to look into Netgear's universal wireless adapter. It can be had for around $35 on evilbay.
post #729 of 2150 Old 12-19-2011, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blambert007 View Post

Hello all-

Within the last two or three pages of this thread is a discussion concerning the Apple Airport Express and what you can do with it. Pay attention to the addendums for each relevant post. The Airport Express works with Windows as well as Mac.
post #730 of 2150 Old 12-19-2011, 02:27 PM

Hi there,

when i connect my pc through to my 671 by hdmi to play games, the 671 goes into a "scene change detected" frenzy and the screen keeps blacking out and reverting in a continuous cycle.

anyone know why?

could it be refresh rate settings between pc and tv?

when i connect my laptop (different pc) through the front hdmi port i have no problems.
post #731 of 2150 Old 12-19-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamoBronx View Post

Hi there,

when i connect my pc through to my 671 by hdmi to play games, the 671 goes into a "scene change detected" frenzy and the screen keeps blacking out and reverting in a continuous cycle.

anyone know why?

could it be refresh rate settings between pc and tv?

when i connect my laptop (different pc) through the front hdmi port i have no problems.

They are possibly not compatible. My question would be, is this a new phenomenon or did you just link the two together the first time.

This also happened to me when I connected to a dvd player via HDMI. I was told by Yamaha that the products weren't compatible for whatever reason. I've only had issues with that one older dvd player and no other. I've tried 3 others.

I don't have a computer with HDMI so I can't say whether this connection is possible. Check the manual and call Yamaha to find out.

I have my computer connected via analog connections on the front of the receiver, and video routed directly to my tv.

Have you tried connecting the problem PC through the front, like your laptop?
post #732 of 2150 Old 12-19-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWooderson View Post

I returned my defective receiver to NewEgg last week, and they issued me a refund. I wish that I had gotten it repaired instead, because my budget is around three hundred, and I can't find anything halfway as nice as the 671.

My biggest requirement is a receiver with a second zone, with an Android app to control the volume on that second zone. It seems like the street price of receivers with that capability start north of $500.

I feel your pain. As you recall I had the same issue as you, and mine was just at the 30day window for return to Newegg. I knew they wouldn't honor sending me a $500 rcvr for a $330 payment, unless it was already at deep discount. But since they didn't have another to send me, I went ahead and had mine repaired. My issue was intermittent. So after 4 trips, almost 1hr each way, I have a working receiver. What a pain, but Yamaha did finally offer me a new receiver if this didn't fix it.

Does the 667 satisfy your needs? If so, you can get a refurb about your price point. My next choice would be maybe a used Denon rcvr.

Just FYI, Newegg has had some pretty frequent discounts on the Yamahas. Maybe a 671 will pop back up as a open box or something.
post #733 of 2150 Old 12-19-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swolfcg View Post

They are possibly not compatible. My question would be, is this a new phenomenon or did you just link the two together the first time.

This also happened to me when I connected to a dvd player via HDMI. I was told by Yamaha that the products weren't compatible for whatever reason. I've only had issues with that one older dvd player and no other. I've tried 3 others.

I don't have a computer with HDMI so I can't say whether this connection is possible. Check the manual and call Yamaha to find out.

I have my computer connected via analog connections on the front of the receiver, and video routed directly to my tv.

Have you tried connecting the problem PC through the front, like your laptop?

i can try that, ill need a 10 metre hdmi cable however, so i didnt want to buy that, and it make no difference! i guess i can unplug that lot and shift it.

its connected through a wall female socket - then a 10-15meter cable to the back of the receiver. (the theatre is in a different area) -

note that i if i send vision only through the cable - it usually works fine - with the 671 one obviously switching scaling between the 1200p source - and the 1080p sony. once i send the sound through as well (i usually run the test signals - which all work) and click ok - then i get the above problems.

ill test the physical pc shift tonight.

D
post #734 of 2150 Old 12-19-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamoBronx View Post

i can try that, ill need a 10 metre hdmi cable however, so i didnt want to buy that, and it make no difference! i guess i can unplug that lot and shift it.

its connected through a wall female socket - then a 10-15meter cable to the back of the receiver. (the theatre is in a different area) -

note that i if i send vision only through the cable - it usually works fine - with the 671 one obviously switching scaling between the 1200p source - and the 1080p sony. once i send the sound through as well (i usually run the test signals - which all work) and click ok - then i get the above problems.

ill test the physical pc shift tonight.

D

You must be speaking Canadian, British, or Aussie, because I don't think I even got half of what you just said. So it's a resolution-refresh incompatibility issue? Look, I only speak bad American English, so it would help if you kept it simple for me. Thanks :P

If you don't have enough length on your cable, you could always 180 your receiver to just test that cable with the front HDMI plug.
post #735 of 2150 Old 12-20-2011, 12:27 AM

Hooked up my new 671 last week, all is great except for I can not access my win7 pc with my iTunes library, it shows up in list but access is denied, any suggestions?
post #736 of 2150 Old 12-20-2011, 09:18 AM

Hi,
I recently bought a new Yamaha V671 receiver. Receiver is connected to the ps3 via HDMI. When I am playing Audio CD or BluRay on PS3, I see Format - PCM, Channel - 2.0 and Sampling - 44.1KHz (under Information->Audio Signal).

I tried many setting on PS3, played around with almost all the audio/video setting but nothing seems to change the Audio Singal.

I dont know what's missing. Is there anything I have to set on the receiver too?
Thanks.
post #737 of 2150 Old 12-20-2011, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh04 View Post

Hi,
I recently bought a new Yamaha V671 receiver. Receiver is connected to the ps3 via HDMI. When I am playing Audio CD or BluRay on PS3, I see Format - PCM, Channel - 2.0 and Sampling - 44.1KHz (under Information->Audio Signal).

I tried many setting on PS3, played around with almost all the audio/video setting but nothing seems to change the Audio Singal.

I dont know what's missing. Is there anything I have to set on the receiver too?
Thanks.

If that's what the signal info displays, then that's what the PS3 is sending. Make sure you do not have the AVR set to send audio to the TV via HDMI.
post #738 of 2150 Old 12-20-2011, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wthomas69 View Post

Hooked up my new 671 last week, all is great except for I can not access my win7 pc with my iTunes library, it shows up in list but access is denied, any suggestions?

Enable sharing in i-tunes?
post #739 of 2150 Old 12-20-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

If that's what the signal info displays, then that's what the PS3 is sending. Make sure you do not have the AVR set to send audio to the TV via HDMI.

NO its not. I have 5.1 setup and I can only hear sound from front speakers.
post #740 of 2150 Old 12-20-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale0015 View Post

tbullet I have the rx-a710 and I think they are about the same. If you hit sirius button on remote so it shows on the tv, you should just be able to cursor to the middle right and your channels will come up, then I believe you can highlight it and delete this preset or delete all presets. I had to do this with regular FM stations but haven't done it in a while so I am going by memory. It is on page 52 of my manual.

I'm not using a physical Sirius tuner, just the internet access. So the Sirius memory presets don't show up at all.
I gave up on FM ever since my favorite local smooth jazz station KWJZ changed format last year. So I've been listening to either Sirius or Internet radio stations.
From what I've read online, there isn't a way to delete individual memory presets and you have to over write them.
Now, I'm wondering about bookmarks. I wonder how to remove them? I wish there was a way to simply log into the amplifier and remove unwanted bookmarks and presets that way. Much simpler.

If anyone comes up with a solution, please let me know.
Thanks.
post #741 of 2150 Old 12-20-2011, 05:35 PM

I have recently bought the Yamaha RX V-671. Speakers are Klipsch Front: KF-28, Center: KC-25, and Surround: KS-14. I want to Bi- amplify the front towers. Two questions, do I need to remore the bus bar between posts? Is there a mode or setting on receiver to make the side surround duplicate the fronts? Any help will be appreciated.
post #742 of 2150 Old 12-20-2011, 05:49 PM

I've been logging into my amplifier to see what I can do. You can power it on and off. Change settings, change stations for Internet or Sirius radio. Control your zone 1 and 2. Pretty cool.

I also have the app from Yamaha from my Android phone. I was trying to get my Windows 7 machine to stream some music to my amp, but it was getting difficult. I did notice on my phone in the Yamaha app an icon on the upper right corner that looks like a couple of notes with what looks like a wave ripples. I clicked on it and bingo, the program called HTC Vision (my phone) input is now selected. The amp see's my phone! The amp is now able to play the music my phone has on it. Way cool. Controlling my amp from my phone is MUCH easier than using the Windows 7 media player.

Now think of the fun you can have with your spouse. you can change the stations randomly and tell them the amp is haunted!

Anyone else use this app?

I wonder what else I can find out about this amp. I'm pretty impressed so far.
post #743 of 2150 Old 12-20-2011, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1111111 View Post

I have recently bought the Yamaha RX V-671. Speakers are Klipsch Front: KF-28, Center: KC-25, and Surround: KS-14. I want to Bi- amplify the front towers. Two questions, do I need to remore the bus bar between posts? Is there a mode or setting on receiver to make the side surround duplicate the fronts? Any help will be appreciated.

Remove the metal strip between the speakers' posts when bi-amping. Be sure to set your Power Amp Assignment to 5ch Bi-Amp. Placing the unit in 7 Channel stereo will provide sound through all speakers.
post #744 of 2150 Old 12-20-2011, 11:34 PM

iTunes is already shared, still access denied
post #745 of 2150 Old 12-21-2011, 04:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wthomas69 View Post

iTunes is already shared, still access denied

I-tunes is not dlna compliant. If you want to stream your i-tunes music to the AVR, consider purchasing an Apple Airport Express, which would make a great holiday gift to yourself. You deserve it.
post #746 of 2150 Old 12-21-2011, 06:30 AM

sorry for the ignorance but by streaming do you mean wirelessly, because i am wired to router, my win7 pc shows up in the list on the yamaha but when i select it i get access denied, i had shared all and every drive and folder on pc with network magic by cisco, can access win7 pc from other pcs, i also have a music folder with mp3s from WMP and have windows media center installed, can access nothing from 671
post #747 of 2150 Old 12-21-2011, 06:34 AM

This model is also Windows 7 and DLNA 1.5 certified which allows access to music files on any computer or local NAS drive content available on the home network. THIS IS FROM THE 671 PAGE AT YAMAHA
post #748 of 2150 Old 12-21-2011, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbhpi View Post

Looks like you're stuck with me.
Answer to question 1: Music from your i-tunes library is streamed through the 1/8 inch connector, not the ethernet port. Thus, you will be able to listen to music from your i-tunes library in Zone 2 while your children watch a movie in the main zone, but only if the Apple Express (AX) is connected to the analog jacks on the AVR.
Answer to question 2: I don't fully understand your question, but I'll answer it this way: The AX won't simultaneously stream music from your i-tunes library and supply internet content through the ethernet port. When you've configured your AX to stream music wirelessly (placed it in "client mode"), the ethernet port is disabled.
Answer to question 3: If the AX is not in client mode, you can use it to stream internet services and listen to, for example, Sirius Internet, in Zone 2 while watching a movie in the main zone.
My answers are based on my interpretation of the linked article, and my personal experience with an AX and a Yamaha AVR.

Edit: Almost forgot: Connecting two AXs would allow both functions simultaneously.

Addendum: Since responding to these questions, I've read several articles that indicate that newer Apple Express units can simultaneously stream music and supply internet content through the ethernet port. To do so, place the unit in "ProxySta" mode by setting up the Express to join a wireless network and enabling the Allow Ethernet Clients setting. Both settings are located in the Wireless tab of AirPort Utility. The feature should work with any wireless network: a, b, g, or n; and 5GHz or 2.4GHz. The Express must also be updated to firmware 7.3.1 (or above) for this feature to appear. The third-party router must support ProxySta. Therefore, the answer to the second question is a qualified yes. However, I have not tested this setup with my Express.

Looks like the new version of the iPhone app will allow me to stream my music library. A few earlier posts seem to confirm this for the iPhone, not the iPod. We will see.
post #749 of 2150 Old 12-21-2011, 07:09 AM

ok then ????? but what should i be able to see/hear that is on my win7 pc thru the 671, my pc is listed with an open folder icon on the 671 but when selected i get access denied, what files CAN the yamaha play
post #750 of 2150 Old 12-21-2011, 07:15 AM

also with the above info i should be able to hook up my ipad to the 671s front usb port, use itunes home sharing and wirelessly stream music to the ipad and play on the 671
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V671 Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page