The "official" Yamaha RX-V671 thread. 7.1-Channel Network AVR - Page 30 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #871 of 2155 Old 01-12-2012, 07:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings
Thank you for your patience as I muddle through this receiver. Your input has helped me great with several "issues" but there are a couple more that could be "deal breakers". I SHOULD return this and exchange it for a RX-A810BL to upgarde to a system with pre-amp outs so I can use my ancient M-80 AMP but I THINK I like the 2 Zone system (kids can use palystion in home theatre room and I can rock out on the patio.)

1) Post 824 helped me get my sub to work in 2 channel mode (thank you) Now can I still use the YPAO mic and re-setup the room? (without it changing my settings for 2-channel)
I am currently using this system with (2) B&W mains, B&W center, JBL 2600's for front presence, and Polk t-15's for rear surround and a Velodyne VA1250X(Not using rear effect speakers at this time.)

2) I have successfully used my i-phone and can reach playlists, but have to set the iphone to shuffle BEFORE I connnect it, as I cannot find a shuffle button in the play control menu. The even bigger things, I'd much rather use a memory stick with music on it (not tying up my phone) but cannot for the life of me figure out how to shuffle using a memory stick. I have many memory sticks that I move between my boat and home but do not want to listen to the songs in the same order every time.

3) This is perhaps the biggest "problem" I cannot solve even with your help on another post. This might be "Yamaha centric" and won't be solved by buying the RX-A810BL. I recently purchased a Blu-ray disc that says it is 7.1 DTS-HD Master audio. I am using a current Playstaion 3 40Gb as my bluray source. It seems to me that the front panel should acknowledge that it is getting DTS-HD 7.1, but the speaker icon on the panel (blue speaker icons) will only show two mains, two rear surrounds sub and center. To get the front presence speakers to work I have to use a decoder which introduces delay and muddled sound. Again it seems to me that there should be a way to utilize my 7 speaker setup and take full advantage of what the disc setup says is 7.1 DTS-HS Master audio. Did I waste time buying and installing front presence speakers, or I am I just dense?

I'm sorry if I seem dense but my old RX-2095 would have an indicator that says DTS (not Cinema DSP)

Again thanks for your patience
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 2155 Old 01-12-2012, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxsales View Post

I am using a current Playstaion 3 40Gb as my bluray source. It seems to me that the front panel should acknowledge that it is getting DTS-HD 7.1, but the speaker icon on the panel (blue speaker icons) will only show two mains, two rear surrounds sub and center.

What does the Yamaha SAY it is receiving???? Press the "Info" button several times to scroll through the data.

I assume you are using HDMI?

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
" - MLK

post #873 of 2155 Old 01-12-2012, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

1) Post 824 helped me get my sub to work in 2 channel mode (thank you) Now can I still use the YPAO mic and re-setup the room? (without it changing my settings for 2-channel)
I am currently using this system with (2) B&W mains, B&W center, JBL 2600's for front presence, and Polk t-15's for rear surround and a Velodyne VA1250X(Not using rear effect speakers at this time.)

One thing that is going on is that your speakers are not connected properly for a conventional 7.1 setup. Conventional 7.1 setup: one front left, one front center, one front right, one left surround, one right surround, one left back surround, one right back surround, one subwoofer. Your setup is not conducive to benefiting from a DTS HD-Master soundtrack.
post #874 of 2155 Old 01-12-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu View Post

What does the Yamaha SAY it is receiving???? Press the "Info" button several times to scroll through the data.

I assume you are using HDMI?

Thank you for your patience.. I just went and ran through it again and here's what the display says when scrolling through the INFO button:
Input: HDMI 2
DSP Program: Straight
Audio Decoder: PCM

Thanls for your help
post #875 of 2155 Old 01-12-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:

Greetings All and thanks for a great source of information.
I have been playing with this receiver for about a week, and have made it through almost all of the postings.
I am using a PS3 as my bluray source and cannot get the input screen on the 671 to say anything close to "DTS-HD Master audio"
In reading the threads I have used the "straight" button and cycled through using the info button. I am receiving an "audio-centric" bluray in the mail today and really want to have the system tweaked to watch the movie. The movie label says it is in "Feature Film Remastered in 1080p Hi-Def with 7.1 DTS-HD Sound."

I'm not sure if I am amiss with the audio output settings on the PS/3 or what.
This will be my first 7.1 movie, but have been fiddling using the Back to the Future bluray that has DTS-HD Master.

For what it is worth, here's the setup:
VIP622 DVR (HDMI 1)
PS# (HDMI 2)
B&W mains (DM604 S2)
B&W Center
JBL 2600 rear surround
Polk T15 front presence
Velodyne VA-1250X sub
Sharp 60" 632 LED

I've got a couple more questions for later, like routing video instead of a screen saver when using Ipod, but this is my main concern for now..

Thank you
John

Sorry guys, Figured out the shuffle from memory stick... another RTFM issue... I didn't see a seperate area for memory stick..
John
post #876 of 2155 Old 01-12-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbhpi View Post

One thing that is going on is that your speakers are not connected properly for a conventional 7.1 setup. Conventional 7.1 setup: one front left, one front center, one front right, one left surround, one right surround, one left back surround, one right back surround, one subwoofer. Your setup is not conducive to benefiting from a DTS HD-Master soundtrack.

Thank you... Again, showing my ignorance of the verbiage... Will eventually rearrange the room for surround backs left and right..
Thank you
John
post #877 of 2155 Old 01-12-2012, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Audio Decoder: PCM

What this is telling you is that your PS3 is doing the DTS decoding and sending a PCM signal to the Yamaha. That should be fine or you could change the PS3 to "Bitsream" and let the Yamaha do the DTS decoding.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
" - MLK

post #878 of 2155 Old 01-12-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:

Greetings

3) This is perhaps the biggest "problem" I cannot solve even with your help on another post. This might be "Yamaha centric" and won't be solved by buying the RX-A810BL. I recently purchased a Blu-ray disc that says it is 7.1 DTS-HD Master audio. I am using a current Playstaion 3 40Gb as my bluray source. It seems to me that the front panel should acknowledge that it is getting DTS-HD 7.1, but the speaker icon on the panel (blue speaker icons) will only show two mains, two rear surrounds sub and center. To get the front presence speakers to work I have to use a decoder which introduces delay and muddled sound. Again it seems to me that there should be a way to utilize my 7 speaker setup and take full advantage of what the disc setup says is 7.1 DTS-HS Master audio. Did I waste time buying and installing front presence speakers, or I am I just dense?

I'm sorry if I seem dense but my old RX-2095 would have an indicator that says DTS (not Cinema DSP)

Again thanks for your patience
John

Some 40 GB PS3 models have this statement in its manuals:
"*2 This system does not support output from the DTS-HD 7.1 Ch. DTS-HD 7.1 Ch. audio is output from a 5.1 or lower channel."
This explains it.
post #879 of 2155 Old 01-12-2012, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzamudio View Post

This explains it.

It could.

But the fact that the OP is only running a 5.1 system would be more obvious. If/when he hooks up some rear surrounds and creates a 7.1 system, the Yamaha may actually display and produce a 7.1 output!

" - MLK

post #880 of 2155 Old 01-12-2012, 10:08 PM

I got my Jamo C607 C600 2 front & Jamo C603 C600 4 side & back today & ran YPAO to have it error W-1 out of phase FL & FR reverse. I double checked the wiring & its fine should I be concerned??? The YPAO audio check seemed to sound ok & pan correctly. according to the manual "Depending on the type of speakers or room environment, this message may appear even if the speakers are
connected correctly". so I think I'm OK but I wanted to double check ALSO the back speakers keep reading as large & the side ones small though they are the same Jamo C603 speakers, I set them all manually to small but YPAO set them back I don't understand why it is setting them that way.
post #881 of 2155 Old 01-13-2012, 05:09 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeen View Post

I got my Jamo C607 C600 2 front & Jamo C603 C600 4 side & back today & ran YPAO to have it error W-1 out of phase FL & FR reverse. I double checked the wiring & its fine should I be concerned??? The YPAO audio check seemed to sound ok & pan correctly. according to the manual "Depending on the type of speakers or room environment, this message may appear even if the speakers are
connected correctly". so I think I'm OK but I wanted to double check ALSO the back speakers keep reading as large & the side ones small though they are the same Jamo C603 speakers, I set them all manually to small but YPAO set them back I don't understand why it is setting them that way.

I believe the manual states that it is possible to get an out-of-phase error even if things are wired correctly. I got the center channel out-of-phase error which drove me crazy when I got the receiver. I just gave up and live with it.
post #882 of 2155 Old 01-13-2012, 07:18 AM

Hi,

To owners of this receiver, I have a specific 'potential' issue with this receiver. I have posted a detailed new post about the issue there (so as not to pollute that thread with a very specific problem that may not be one anyway ):

Oooops, cannot post URL yet

Will that work??: thiswebsite/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=21486841#post21486841

In short, the receiver makes clicking noises when switching DSP modes or going to DTS track (similar to the clicking when turning on/off). I would appreciate if other owners could chime in with their experience at the dedicated thread.

Cheers!
post #883 of 2155 Old 01-13-2012, 11:13 AM

Any ideas on my query?
post #884 of 2155 Old 01-13-2012, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaur1 View Post

Any ideas on my query?

Can you rephrase your description of your problem and possibly add more detail concerning CEC/HDMI Control settings and source of HD programming (television tuner, cable, sat)? Also, it would be good to know in advance if you're using a programmable (Harmony type) remote.
post #885 of 2155 Old 01-13-2012, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Does the auto calibration just do these? (which I can do myself with a tape measure and radio shack meter)

Distance
Levels
Crossover

or does it have any kind of PEQ?

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #886 of 2155 Old 01-13-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:

What this is telling you is that your PS3 is doing the DTS decoding and sending a PCM signal to the Yamaha. That should be fine or you could change the PS3 to "Bitsream" and let the Yamaha do the DTS decoding.

Thank you for your help. Even though both decode probably equally, I like seeing the DTS on my receiver display :-)

John
post #887 of 2155 Old 01-13-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:

I just changed my ps3 setting to 'bitstream'. Instead of showing 'pcm', now its showing 'dts' but not 'dts hd master'. Or are they the same?
post #888 of 2155 Old 01-13-2012, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorel9 View Post

I just changed my ps3 setting to 'bitstream'. Instead of showing 'pcm', now its showing 'dts' but not 'dts hd master'. Or are they the same?

Low|mid range Yamaha AVRs typically cannot decode a DTS-HDMA soundtrack and simultaneously apply CinemaDSP processing . . . if you toggle the AVR's "STRAIGHT" setting ON|OFF, the AVR's display should alternate between DTS and DTS-HD.

While it is not clear that you will be able to distinguish between DTS-HDMA+CinemaDSP playback and DTS(core)+CinemaDSP playback, you can achieve the former by decoding the DTS-HDMA soundtrack into MPCM in your player (if the player supports this function) and then applying CinemaDSP to the (already decoded) MPCM soundtrack in the AVR...!?

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #889 of 2155 Old 01-13-2012, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post

Distance
Levels
Crossover
or does it have any kind of PEQ?

it does all of that plus it has a very powerful PEQ! You could never duplicate the accuracy of YPAO with a Radio Shack meter!!

" - MLK

post #890 of 2155 Old 01-14-2012, 02:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:

You could never duplicate the accuracy of YPAO with a Radio Shack meter!!

I haven't seen any information the lower end Yamahas have any kind of EQ, just auto setup.

So you're saying with a tape measure and RS meter you cannot? :-/ You just go to each speaker adjusting level until it reads the same from your listening point. I'd like to know why you think auto setup can do it better than that?

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #891 of 2155 Old 01-14-2012, 04:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post

I haven't seen any information the lower end Yamahas have any kind of EQ, just auto setup.

See page 92 of the OM.
post #892 of 2155 Old 01-14-2012, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbhpi View Post

See page 92 of the OM.

So in reference to my "W-1 out of phase FL & FR" post above if the tuner incorrectly detects this as an actual issue as has been stated will it also auto set the eq for those speakers incorrectly? I'm still baffled as to why it is reading the back speakers as large when they are small like the side ones.
post #893 of 2155 Old 01-14-2012, 09:41 AM

Liked: 28
I just recently purchased my Yamaha RX-V671 and am very happy with it. My question is about speakers. My set up is a Sony 40" XBR, an XBOX 360, and I also have a Panasonic Blu-Ray DMP-BDT-210. I have been looking at new speakers for some time now and am stuck. I have been gravitating towards Energy's Take Classic 5.1, but they seem a little small. Does anyone have any suggestions?

post #894 of 2155 Old 01-14-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeen View Post

So in reference to my "W-1 out of phase FL & FR" post above if the tuner incorrectly detects this as an actual issue as has been stated will it also auto set the eq for those speakers incorrectly? I'm still baffled as to why it is reading the back speakers as large when they are small like the side ones.

Sometimes you can get an out of phase error,if the mic is too close to a wall or chair back,or it is getting some other strange reflection of sound.
Old Mike
post #895 of 2155 Old 01-14-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizimes View Post

I just recently purchased my Yamaha RX-V671 and am very happy with it. My question is about speakers. My set up is a Sony 40" XBR, an XBOX 360, and I also have a Panasonic Blu-Ray DMP-BDT-210. I have been looking at new speakers for some time now and am stuck. I have been gravitating towards Energy's Take Classic 5.1, but they seem a little small. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm pretty happy with my Jamo C series set though I have only listened to two front mains, in the few days I've had them as I have a HSU VTF-1 sub in transit so waiting for a full 7.1 setup before I give it a BD movie test. These will cost more than the Energy set but I personally wanted a non-entry level system that will last.
post #896 of 2155 Old 01-14-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf15 View Post

Sometimes you can get an out of phase error,if the mic is too close to a wall or chair back,or it is getting some other strange reflection of sound.
Old Mike

I tried the mic in 3 locations on top/center of equipment cabinet in front of the HDTV & center speaker, on the seat of the couch in front of it center placed & on the center head of the same couch, I also moved the speakers farther apart as I had/have them just a few inches to the right/left/front of my 46" display & of course the end result was the same in all cases.

Edit: I just now tried another location using a upside-down laundry basket as a makeshift tripod at approximate ear level on the center of the couch seat & still FL & FR read as "Reverse" BUT the back speakers now read as small as they should, I assume sitting on the top back of the couch put them too close to the rear ones thus the large reading for them.
post #897 of 2155 Old 01-14-2012, 11:14 AM

Well it is always possible that one of the speakers is wired incorrectly internally.
Old Mike
post #898 of 2155 Old 01-14-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf15 View Post

Well it is always possible that one of the speakers is wired incorrectly internally.
Old Mike

Yeah, I read this but I've also read even more people say that reads can be finicky with certain speaker configurations & rooms, since my setup is confined to half the space of 16.5' x 14.5' room perhaps its a space issue, I don't know, so far the speakers sound fine to my ears so I hate to mess with them unless something seems audibly incorrect so I'll have to wait & see.
post #899 of 2155 Old 01-14-2012, 11:53 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizimes View Post

Did you have a budget in mind?

Check the website Techbargins for good deals.
also the website Bountii is great for finding the best prices.

Yamaha RX-V671 receiver

Infinity Beta 5.1

post #900 of 2155 Old 01-14-2012, 12:13 PM

Liked: 28
[quote=Tacoboy;21492961]Did you have a budget in mind?

Check the website Techbargins for good deals.
also the website Bountii is great for finding the best prices.[/QUOTE

A budget of less than $1000 is what I am working with. The only thing I think I'm sure of is that I want floor standing speakers for my FL and FR. Outside of that I am open to anything. I have looked at the Jamos that someone suggested and found a 5 piece speaker set for less than $500. That is without a sub, but I probably wanted to purchase a sub separately anyway.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V671 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V671 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page