The "official" Yamaha RX-V671 thread. 7.1-Channel Network AVR - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 2150 Old 01-25-2012, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wthomas69 View Post

in your case if you are watching tv and tv is connected to avr with toslink cable then your must be on av1 or av4 (only toslink connections on avr), so your video msignal is NOT going thru avr, right?

That is correct, I am on AV4 as those are the only optical ports on the AVR. What do you mean my video msignal is not going through the avr?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 2150 Old 01-25-2012, 08:00 AM

as mentioned above you can control video sources thru the avr ( i have bluray on hdmi1, dvd on hdmi2, hddvd on hdmi3) at one point the audio portion of my hdmi1 was set to av1 instead of hdmi1 so i heard nothing, because i had nothing connected to the av1 input, but since your antenna in NOT connected to the avr it is a mute point. i thought maybe your video source (antenna) was some how connected to the avr and the audio portion was incorrect.
post #993 of 2150 Old 01-25-2012, 08:03 AM

do u have anything else with a digital out to hook the cable to (ps3, xbox360, dvd player, bluray player) if so unhook the toslink from the tv and into the other equipment (on digital out) does sound get to the ceiling speakers, if so the problem is the tv
post #994 of 2150 Old 01-25-2012, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnynagra View Post

When I turn on the AVR the input selected is AV4 as my optical cable is plugged in there and I have my HDMI cable coming from my TV (HDMI In) to the HDMI OUT on the AVR. When I switch to the HDMI input on my TV, I get the GUI of the AVR, where I can do the setup of the speakers. Is this where you are saying that I need to set the audio output for the optical cable as this will be the only cable that I require to transfer the sound from my TV to the speakers via the AVR?

In the instructions it says that I need to put in both the HDMI cable and optical cable to get the sound out. Is this correct? and if so why is that the case?

Turn your television on. Turn your AVR on. Ensure ARC on the AVR is disabled. Change your television's input to the television's internal tuner. Until you get your AVR remote properly programmed, use the television's remote to do so. You should now be hearing audio, from program shown on your television, through your AVR's speakers. If not, press the AV4 button on your AVR's remote. If still not, ensure that input AV4 is selected on the AVR as the television audio input.
post #995 of 2150 Old 01-25-2012, 04:08 PM

Liked: 12
OK silly question. Are you sure you need to use the toslink? I have my audio from my TV going to the AMP via the HMDI cable from the AVR HMDI out. I forget exactly how to set this up but its explained in the manual. It mentions your TV needs to support something but I just tried it and it worked.. Anyway may be worth a shot and keeps its simpler. I don't have access to my system or manual right now but can look it up later if your interested and can't find it.
post #996 of 2150 Old 01-25-2012, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerednai View Post

OK silly question. Are you sure you need to use the toslink? I have my audio from my TV going to the AMP via the HMDI cable from the AVR HMDI out. I forget exactly how to set this up but its explained in the manual. It mentions your TV needs to support something but I just tried it and it worked.. Anyway may be worth a shot and keeps its simpler. I don't have access to my system or manual right now but can look it up later if your interested and can't find it.

A television that supports ARC is necessary, a feature the other poster stated his/her television was missing (see post 976). In any case, it's refreshing to hear from someone whose ARC function works.
post #997 of 2150 Old 01-26-2012, 06:49 PM

Hi,

I am trying to side load Yamaha's AV app to my Kindle Fire. Does anyone have the actual .apk file?

thanks
post #998 of 2150 Old 01-27-2012, 05:21 AM

Liked: 14
No TV Sound...but picture is perfect

I posted this in the wrong topic (667/767) which for some reason I thought I had. Shows how little I actually look at the front.

I recently had to get a new TV (Panasonic 55GT30) to replace our damaged 2009 Sony. I've got the one HDMI from the rec'r to the TV and everything else...AT&T, XBox and Blu-Ray conneted via HDMI to the rec'r. Everything has been fine and worked including sound from the TV speakers using AT&T and Xbox.

I now have no sound from the TV but video from all three are about perfect as you can get. Do get ound from the HT setup. No matter what I do I cannot get TV sound. The new TV has a "HDMI ARC" input which I have plugged in. I made no-changes in the setup or menu. I've doubled check the HDMI and ARC is "On". I think I ran into this with the first set somehow but cannot find the answer hich I know has to be simple.
post #999 of 2150 Old 01-27-2012, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.DTS View Post

No TV Sound...but picture is perfect

I posted this in the wrong topic (667/767) which for some reason I thought I had. Shows how little I actually look at the front.

I recently had to get a new TV (Panasonic 55GT30) to replace our damaged 2009 Sony. I've got the one HDMI from the rec'r to the TV and everything else...AT&T, XBox and Blu-Ray conneted via HDMI to the rec'r. Everything has been fine and worked including sound from the TV speakers using AT&T and Xbox.

I now have no sound from the TV but video from all three are about perfect as you can get. Do get ound from the HT setup. No matter what I do I cannot get TV sound. The new TV has a "HDMI ARC" input which I have plugged in. I made no-changes in the setup or menu. I've doubled check the HDMI and ARC is "On". I think I ran into this with the first set somehow but cannot find the answer hich I know has to be simple.

Posts 3356 and 3357 in the 667 thread still apply to your situation. At this point, you should double check all applicable settings on the AVR and the television. More than likely, it's an ill set tick. On your Panasonic, ensure HDMI under advanced audio menu is set to digital.
post #1000 of 2150 Old 01-27-2012, 04:20 PM

Looking through the Easy Setup Guide I see the following statement:

"YPAO measurement is not performed correctly when any obstacles are in the room"

What do they mean by "obstacles" .... normal furniture?
post #1001 of 2150 Old 01-27-2012, 06:49 PM

ARC Sound Issue with TV solved....sort of

Well I finally got sound from the TV speakers but it's no-where how it use to be. Not sure with new set but it's something like this...

For TV Speakers...I have to do this....power up in this order..Source>Yamaha>TV
*This is per the Panasonic instructions, to do in this order

For HT speakers...I can power up...TV>Source>Yamaha or TV>Yamaha>Source

Now what I could do before and cannot do now is turn off the Yamaha any time and still get sound from the TV. If I turn it off now there is no sound at all from the TV. Doesn't matter if AT&T or Xbox

Something else I tried and it's getting more confusing....Doing the above....AT&T>Yamaha>TV I got TV sound "only" and not the HT speakers. I then switched inputs to the XBox and still got TV speakers only. However when I turn off the Yamaha no sound period. Turn on the Yamaha and then the HT speakers kick in. So I'm still not getting any sound via "pass-thru" unless the Yamaha is on. And I have the latest HDAVI version (5) for ARC with the Panasonic.
post #1002 of 2150 Old 01-27-2012, 08:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckp View Post

"YPAO measurement is not performed correctly when any obstacles are in the room"

Anything between the speakers and the mike (or normal listening positions).
post #1003 of 2150 Old 01-28-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckp View Post

Your listening room can be set up "normally" when you run YPAO; furniture and accessories do not need to be removed for the system to obtain accurate readings. However, I would recommend that you not have any non-standard things in the room during the calibration (people, objects, etc).

Yamaha RX-V671; Panasonic DMP-BDT210; Cisco 8742 HDC; Vizio GV47L (47" 1080p LCD); Klipsch RVX-42 (L-C-R); Klipsch RSX-4 (SL-SR); Klipsch RW-10d (Sub); Logitech Harmony One.
post #1004 of 2150 Old 01-28-2012, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageHawkeye View Post

I would recommend that you not have any non-standard things in the room during the calibration (people, objects, etc).

I agree BUT you should have the "normal" complement of people in their seats, ie. YOU!

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
" - MLK

post #1005 of 2150 Old 01-28-2012, 09:49 PM

Just installed my new RX V671. Can't get Video, which is from vcr/dvd with component video out with optical audio...all attached to AV1 component/optical audio. Sound is functioning well, but no video. Using HDMI out from 671 to plasma. Thanks for any suggestiions. I have read the manual till my eyes are crossed,
post #1006 of 2150 Old 01-29-2012, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Can someone please tell me what the firmware update 1.18 provides? My firmware is currently 1.16, and I cannot find anywhere what the update may or may not provide. Thanks.

post #1007 of 2150 Old 01-29-2012, 09:05 AM

Still no sound from TV Speakers except....

....doing the exact power-up in the above order...AT&T > RXV671 > Panasonic Plasma

I'm beginning to think his is a ARC issue with the Pansonic TV (2011) as there is a hread over in the Plasma section with ARC issues between a Yamaha Rec'r and TV. Bottom line I cannot get audio pass thru period with the RXV671 off. It has to be on which wasn't the case with the 2009 Sony Z Series.

Someone suggested in the Panasonic GT Thread to enable "HT over TV" speakers, hit the mute on the TV remote, then turn off the Yamaha and then hit the mute button again but that didn't work either. I tried several combinations of "Yes, No & Auto" in the setup menus of the 671 all to no avail.
post #1008 of 2150 Old 01-29-2012, 09:32 PM

Is there a list of compatible USB wireless adaptors that work with the RX series? I have a few spare Wireless N dongles, haven't been able to get them to work though.

Cheers,
post #1009 of 2150 Old 01-29-2012, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadcaster View Post

Just installed my new RX V671. Can't get Video, which is from vcr/dvd with component video out with optical audio...all attached to AV1 component/optical audio. Sound is functioning well, but no video. Using HDMI out from 671 to plasma. Thanks for any suggestiions. I have read the manual till my eyes are crossed,

Have you tried the RV-671 setup?

Yamaha RX-V671 receiver

Infinity Beta 5.1

post #1010 of 2150 Old 01-30-2012, 07:37 AM

Yes, i tried setup. Spoke to Crutchfield cust. Service. They had me do a reset. Did not help. They think the amp may be defective.
post #1011 of 2150 Old 01-30-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.DTS View Post

Still no sound from TV Speakers except....

....doing the exact power-up in the above order...AT&T > RXV671 > Panasonic Plasma

I'm beginning to think his is a ARC issue with the Pansonic TV (2011) as there is a hread over in the Plasma section with ARC issues between a Yamaha Rec'r and TV. Bottom line I cannot get audio pass thru period with the RXV671 off. It has to be on which wasn't the case with the 2009 Sony Z Series.

Someone suggested in the Panasonic GT Thread to enable "HT over TV" speakers, hit the mute on the TV remote, then turn off the Yamaha and then hit the mute button again but that didn't work either. I tried several combinations of "Yes, No & Auto" in the setup menus of the 671 all to no avail.

While you are watching TV.
I have an A1010 but try this, on screen display, setup>HDMI.
Set HDMI control to off.
Set standby through to on.
I have a P50st30 this gives me sound using cable box, Tv speakers and/or AVR. The HDMI out from the avr should go to HDMI 1 on the TV. If I turn the AVR off it goes into stanby mode and will pass audio and video from the cable box, through the avr to the TV.

Old Mike
post #1012 of 2150 Old 01-31-2012, 01:06 PM

Ok, I'm experiencing my first problem,

The on screen volume display only shows a black bar instead of the text of the volume. Anyone else have this happen?
post #1013 of 2150 Old 01-31-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMarat View Post

Ok, I'm experiencing my first problem,

The on screen volume display only shows a black bar instead of the text of the volume. Anyone else have this happen?

Mine too. It displays the volume, way off to the left, mostly off the black bar.
post #1014 of 2150 Old 02-01-2012, 04:30 AM

Have gone through all the posts here and dint find an issue like mine.
I've been using the AVR for over a month now. This is my first HTPC setup and so far am very impressed. Energy RC-Micro 5.1 sounds great to me I have my PC and PS3 connected to the AVR. PS3 is through HDMI and output is set to PCM(have read tat its better to leave the decoding to the PS3 and i dont have any preference to see DTS light up on AVR ).

I am generally happy with the audio quality from music,movies etc. I noticed that Adaptive DRC -> off and Dynamic Range -> Maximum are the best settings for my ears. I used YPAO to setup and modified the levels and distances a bit and PEQ setting to "Through". Dont use the Presence speakers too. Can the sound be impoved with setting PEQ to flat/natural etc and Presence speakers to on ?? What settings do you guys use ?? Please discuss.

Here's the issue.. I have noticed that there is a lot of lag when playing on my PS3 especially FPS games. I've been getting my ass kicked all over the place in BF3 and i absolutely hate the laggy aiming.(I know i cant suck tat bad ) My guess is its about 200-300ms off. My display is the Samsung D6000 32" 3D LED TV. I switch on the game mode which helps only a little bit. Before i had the AVR, the PS3(HDMI) was directly connected to the TV and when game mode is on i had no noticeable delays. Now the middleman AVR has introduced the lag. I read in lot of places.. this is the issue these days with these components coming in between and adding their processing/delays. I have turned off the processing etc in the video setup(which should not touch the 720p/1080p signals anyway, as per OM). Anyone else facing lag. I did not anticipate such problems after spending so much and setting up a game room. The only workaround i can think off is adding a optical cable for audio and HDMI video directly to the TV. Then i get only 2 channel PCM cos of optical cable limitation and will have to bitstream. Is there a noticeable difference if i do this. Any other workarounds to reduce lags ? Hasnt anyone seen this issue. Should i change the HDMI cables ? Is lag introduced in the cable ? I know display cant be affecting this cos before the AVR everything was fine. Please help guys.
post #1015 of 2150 Old 02-01-2012, 11:23 PM

I'm considering purchasing this, but I have a question about using both Zone 2 and bi-amping.

This thread closely illustrates what I was wondering, but more specifically, is there any way to have both bi-amping and Zone 2? The initial response is wrong (there is a 7.1+2 setup with presence speakers that uses 9 speakers), so it seems that there ought to be a way to use both features.

Would running an amp from the Zone 2 preouts be a possibility (see pg 70)? As far as I know, they wouldn't be drawing (much) power from the receiver.

In case you're interested, the reason I'm asking is that I'm considering the Jamo S606 system that allows biamping for the front speakers (I'm assuming that's recommended...?). I would also like to have in-ceiling speakers (from Monoprice?) in the neighboring room, if possible. If my proposed setup doesn't work, we'll probably go without speakers there.

Thanks!
post #1016 of 2150 Old 02-01-2012, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Joebilly, there is *NO* *BENEFIT* whatsoever in "bi-amping" passive-crossover speakers such as the Jamo S606 !!

Use the extra amps to power Zone 2 without spending a cent!

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
" - MLK

post #1017 of 2150 Old 02-01-2012, 11:56 PM

Cool! I did not know that. Why is that even an option, then? Also, can you point me to a link explaining the basics of crossovers? I know that they signify the frequency at which sound is switched between woofers, but not much else...
post #1018 of 2150 Old 02-02-2012, 12:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1C3M4Nz View Post

Have gone through all the posts here and dint find an issue like mine.
I've been using the AVR for over a month now. This is my first HTPC setup and so far am very impressed. Energy RC-Micro 5.1 sounds great to me I have my PC and PS3 connected to the AVR. PS3 is through HDMI and output is set to PCM(have read tat its better to leave the decoding to the PS3 and i dont have any preference to see DTS light up on AVR ).

I am generally happy with the audio quality from music,movies etc. I noticed that Adaptive DRC -> off and Dynamic Range -> Maximum are the best settings for my ears. I used YPAO to setup and modified the levels and distances a bit and PEQ setting to "Through". Dont use the Presence speakers too. Can the sound be impoved with setting PEQ to flat/natural etc and Presence speakers to on ?? What settings do you guys use ?? Please discuss.

Here's the issue.. I have noticed that there is a lot of lag when playing on my PS3 especially FPS games. I've been getting my ass kicked all over the place in BF3 and i absolutely hate the laggy aiming.(I know i cant suck tat bad ) My guess is its about 200-300ms off. My display is the Samsung D6000 32" 3D LED TV. I switch on the game mode which helps only a little bit. Before i had the AVR, the PS3(HDMI) was directly connected to the TV and when game mode is on i had no noticeable delays. Now the middleman AVR has introduced the lag. I read in lot of places.. this is the issue these days with these components coming in between and adding their processing/delays. I have turned off the processing etc in the video setup(which should not touch the 720p/1080p signals anyway, as per OM). Anyone else facing lag. I did not anticipate such problems after spending so much and setting up a game room. The only workaround i can think off is adding a optical cable for audio and HDMI video directly to the TV. Then i get only 2 channel PCM cos of optical cable limitation and will have to bitstream. Is there a noticeable difference if i do this. Any other workarounds to reduce lags ? Hasnt anyone seen this issue. Should i change the HDMI cables ? Is lag introduced in the cable ? I know display cant be affecting this cos before the AVR everything was fine. Please help guys.

Unfortunately the receiver adds a tiny delay to the HDMI that is transmitted to the TV (ie it takes time for the receiver to take the signal in, process the audio and send it along with the video back to the TV.

The solution is to do the following.

Even though the video is not reprocessed by the receiver, the HDMI signal must be retransmitted to the display from the receiver. No way around it if you use HDMI to go from device to receiver and then HDMI from receiver to TV...

Connect HDMI straight to TV and optical to receiver. I am sure you lose 7.1 sound as optical only supports 2 channel streams (you can still get everything below that)

I have the same issue with a 667 model and the solution was to remove it from the video loop for the PS3...and the 360

Strong or weak in the end we are all dead
post #1019 of 2150 Old 02-02-2012, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai View Post

Unfortunately the receiver adds a tiny delay to the HDMI that is transmitted to the TV (ie it takes time for the receiver to take the signal in, process the audio and send it along with the video back to the TV.

The solution is to do the following.

Even though the video is not reprocessed by the receiver, the HDMI signal must be retransmitted to the display from the receiver. No way around it if you use HDMI to go from device to receiver and then HDMI from receiver to TV...

Connect HDMI straight to TV and optical to receiver. I am sure you lose 7.1 sound as optical only supports 2 channel streams (you can still get everything below that)

I have the same issue with a 667 model and the solution was to remove it from the video loop for the PS3...and the 360

Thanks for sharing that.. Afraid no other way around it Damn !! So even if i buy a Plasma it wouldnt help me.. Cos the TV is not the culprit here..
Just outta curiosity are the higher end receivers better in this respect ?? Or for tat matter other brand receivers, like Denon/Onkyo etc. So much technology improvements and they cannot address this issue.. Shame really.. They have to think of gamers too and not just movie/music enthusiasts..
post #1020 of 2150 Old 02-02-2012, 01:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I don't know if more expensive receiver will solve the issue as anything that connects inbetween the source and TV will add a delay. Look at it this way

you are the PS3 I am the receiver and our imagicary friend Bob is the TV

1 you send me the copy of an apple and then I make an exact copy of the apple and pass it to Bob

2. you send Bob a copy of the apple directly.

Now granted it is more complicated than that as the receiver has to take the audo and process it so that you can hear it and then sync it back to the video stream. look at the following diagram
LL

Strong or weak in the end we are all dead
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V671 Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page