The "official" Yamaha RX-V671 thread. 7.1-Channel Network AVR - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 2155 Old 02-23-2012, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have the 671 with a Logitech harmony 650 and the remote has very limited options right now ...its missing many of the standard remote options ...should I use a different model number or does anyone have a better solution
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 2155 Old 02-24-2012, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbeezly View Post

Have the 671 with a Logitech harmony 650 and the remote has very limited options right now ...its missing many of the standard remote options ...should I use a different model number or does anyone have a better solution

I think you should take your question to the Harmony remote forums, because the 650 does NOT have very limited remote options. It will do everything you need and more.
post #1083 of 2155 Old 02-25-2012, 11:48 AM

Liked: 12
I just got a 671 and am liking it a lot. It plays FLACs off the NAS perfectly (which a Marantz 1602 I just returned was having trouble with), and no issues with my BR player. One hiccup, when I try and play my Seagate Theater+ through the HDMI, it appears to lose connection every 3 seconds or so; there's a dropout and then it comes back. Anyone have any idea what might be causing that?
post #1084 of 2155 Old 02-25-2012, 03:21 PM

is anybody using the Iphone Yamaha AV 3.0 app to run their 671? I've downloaded the app. My iphone sees the AVR and shows the correct IP but when I try to select the receiver, nothing happens. I've set the Network Standby on the AVR to 'On' Any ideas?
post #1085 of 2155 Old 02-25-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersmsr View Post

is anybody using the Iphone Yamaha AV 3.0 app to run their 671? I've downloaded the app. My iphone sees the AVR and shows the correct IP but when I try to select the receiver, nothing happens. I've set the Network Standby on the AVR to 'On' Any ideas?

Works fine on my iPad and iPod.
post #1086 of 2155 Old 02-26-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacemaker View Post

hi guys
i have an onkyo 609 but am really annoyed with its 24p dropped frame/stutter issue so if no fix it will have to go
question is does this amp in any way interfere with the video?
anybody compared it with a 609 for quality etc?
any inherent ptoblems with this yamaha?

thanks

Would be very interested as well. Considdering a 609, a denon 1912 or this beauty. Any comments would be very much appreciated!

/Edit: to share my concern: as I understand the onkyo handles 24p as 24fps in stead of 23.976 fps. In order compensate for the higher speed it duplicates a frame about every 42 seconds, which is definitely visible (and something I don't want).
post #1087 of 2155 Old 02-29-2012, 12:25 PM

Hello.

I've unashamedly joined up just to ask a question about the Yamaha RX-V671 so thanks in advance for any help.

I'd like to bi-amp. Am I right in thinking I can only enable this feature via the on-screen menu and not on the amp itself manually? I haven't set my PC/DVD player up yet and am using it in stereo for a fortnight or so.

Cheers.
post #1088 of 2155 Old 02-29-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oGaZm View Post

Hello.

I've unashamedly joined up just to ask a question about the Yamaha RX-V671 so thanks in advance for any help.

I'd like to bi-amp. Am I right in thinking I can only enable this feature via the on-screen menu and not on the amp itself manually? I haven't set my PC/DVD player up yet and am using it in stereo for a fortnight or so.

Cheers.

oGaZm,
That is correct as far as I know. You have to use the on-screen menu.
post #1089 of 2155 Old 03-01-2012, 03:49 AM

My RX-V671 is only 2 months old - I bought it over Christmas and it's been working flawlessly, until last night.

After watching TV for about 4 hours, it suddenly powered off (leaving just the red standby light lit up). I powered it back on, but after 10 seconds it powered off again, and has since refused to power back on, leaving just the standby light lit up.

So, I tried unplugging all cables out the rear, so only the power cable is left plugged in. No joy. I unplugged it from the mains power on the wall and left it over night, then plugged the power back in this morning, but exactly the same. All I get is the red standby light but it refuses to power on.

The top of the casing was warm when it went off last night, but I didn't hear any pops/bangs etc. There is about 2-3 inches gap between the top of the amp and the next glass shelf up in my AV rack, so I think there's enough room there for air to circulate.

I tried holding the power button in for about 10 seconds at which point I noticed the red standby light go out until I released the power button (as I thought that might be some kind of system reset), but that made no difference.

I've phoned Richer Sounds this morning but because it's older than 28 days, they have to send it back to Yamaha which could take 3-4 weeks until I get it back! Everything relies on this amp, it's a bit of a nightmare.

Can anyone suggest anything that may have gone wrong, that I might be able to try to bring it back to life?!

At the moment I'm half tempted to buy the Denon I was originally going to get, whilst the Yamaha is sent off to be repaired, then sell the Yamaha when I get it back (I've never had an amp die before - this is the first Yamaha I've owned).

Thanks

** UPDATE: I've read the manual and the only things that I can think it could be based on the troubleshooting section is that 'the protection circuitry has been activated 3 times consecutively', which prevents the system from powering back on (and requires a Yamaha dealer/service centre to sort). It mentions protection circuitry being activated by shorting speaker cables or the speaker impedance setting could be incorrect.

I've not touched any of my speaker wiring for at least a month, so Im not sure why it would suddenly short now if there was an issue?

Re the speaker impedance, I believe my amp is set to the default 8-ohms which I thought was ok with the setup below?

Front L & R: Mordaunt Short Aviano 6 Floor Standers (4 - 8 ohms) Average figure is 8 ohmns. Figure halves when doubling the number of speakers
Centre: Mordaunt Short Aviano 5 (4-8 ohms)
2 x Rear Satellites: KEF KHT1505 (8 ohms)

The manual reads:
6 ohms: Select this when you connect 6ohm speakers to this unit. You can also use 4-ohm speakers as the front speakers.
8 ohms: Select this when you connect 8ohm or higher speakers to this unit.

Does this mean that my front Aviano Floorstanders (as there are 2 of them (L&R)) Speakers are actually at 4 ohms, and therefore I should have had my amp set to 6-ohms rather than 8? My centre speaker says it's 4-8ohms so I'm not sure where I stand with that also?
post #1090 of 2155 Old 03-01-2012, 12:26 PM

hey guys, i'm in the (slow) process of upgrading my listening system and i'm interested in the rx-v671. my ulitimate goal is to have music in 3 zones: TV room, living room, outside/garage. I just have a few questions about it.

1) for Zone 2, i think i understand this correctly. i can either use the Zone 2 RCA outs to another preamp/amp/receiver or use the Zone 2 speaker outs and let the 671 control it...?

2) i see in pictures that there is an "audio out". can this be used for a 3rd zone? can it be connected to another preamp->amp? can the main speakers be muted and sound still be passed through? is the volume controlled by the unit?

3) what is the sound quality of the network media play? i have all .wav files and i am curious if this would negate my quest for an external DAC for my pc. i've read that the receiver chooses to play any files at 128k mp3 quality, is this true? if it does play .wav does it come across cd quality?

4) how is the onboard EQ? how many bands?

thanks in advance,

Jon

(my 15 year old RX-V990 is still going strong aside from the A channel speaker outs starting to give out)
post #1091 of 2155 Old 03-01-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murffee1 View Post

oGaZm,
That is correct as far as I know. You have to use the on-screen menu.

Nice one, cheers. Looks like I'll have to wait until payday.

It's sounding great in stereo though.
post #1092 of 2155 Old 03-01-2012, 06:52 PM

Has anyone here tried using Beyerdynamic DT series 600-Ohm headphones plugged into their RX-V671 receiver?

Or any 600-Ohm headphones plugged into the RX-V671?

Yamaha RX-V671 receiver

Infinity Beta 5.1

post #1093 of 2155 Old 03-02-2012, 12:44 PM

I bought my 671 in late November, and I've had multiple problems. My first issue was a my Front Right Channel goes out if my system is on for a period of time. Four trips to the service center later, I found out it was bad relay.

A new issue popped this week, when I was finally able to utilize the ARC function. My old tv had HDMI, but not ARC. The new tv does. I got the tv tuesday, and hooking up and connection seemed easy. The ARC function worked just fine. As in, I heard over the air audio on my tv and my tv recognized my receiver upon turn-on, when just connected to my Rcv through the ARC connection on both.

The next day, it didn't work. No audio through HDMI and my tv didn't recognize my AVR. After a few hours with Sony and testing, the problem was narrowed down to the AVR. I then called Yamaha and when I performed a master reset, turned ARC/Control back on, and it started working again.

The next day, which is today, it stopped working again and Master Reset didn't bring it back.

I've switched known good HDMI cables and tested this same function with another LED tv with ARC. Still nothing.

So I guess my question is, is this a prevalent issue? I can't imagine I'm doing anything wrong. My tvs and AVR is set right and it did work and I didn't change anything. I dug up some optical cables, and now I'm listening to tv through that, and I do get audio through my Blu-Ray Player.

Update: I found the issue. It was a HDMI-DVI cable connected to either my tv or AVR, that kept disabling my ARC.
post #1094 of 2155 Old 03-05-2012, 08:30 AM

Anyone know the difference between these model numbers the RXV671B and the RXV671BL?

Is one newer than the other?
post #1095 of 2155 Old 03-05-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker666 View Post

Anyone know the difference between these model numbers the RXV671B and the RXV671BL?

Is one newer than the other?

I'm going to guess they are the same model, both the B & BL are short for Black,
The labeling & marketing departments at Yamaha may not be in sink.

Some retailers do small changes in the advertised model number to keep customers from price matching.

Yamaha RX-V671 receiver

Infinity Beta 5.1

post #1096 of 2155 Old 03-05-2012, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 85

The RX-V671TI is the Titanium finish variant . . and there is supposedly also a Gold finish variant available "in some markets".

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #1097 of 2155 Old 03-06-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagletwin View Post

1) for Zone 2, i think i understand this correctly. i can either use the Zone 2 RCA outs to another preamp/amp/receiver or use the Zone 2 speaker outs and let the 671 control it...?

2) i see in pictures that there is an "audio out". can this be used for a 3rd zone? can it be connected to another preamp->amp? can the main speakers be muted and sound still be passed through? is the volume controlled by the unit?

3) what is the sound quality of the network media play? i have all .wav files and i am curious if this would negate my quest for an external DAC for my pc. i've read that the receiver chooses to play any files at 128k mp3 quality, is this true? if it does play .wav does it come across cd quality?

4) how is the onboard EQ? how many bands?

ok...i bought the receiver and for anyone wondering here is what i found.

1) yes, either or. i used the zone2 outs to another amp.

2) the "audio out" is for recording.

3) the SQ is fine. .wav plays as .wav, however, i have not been able to get browser or receiver to see my content. It DOES work great with droid app, i can push songs from pc to receiver just fine with the app. do i need unit/browser to see content now?, doubt it. for the heck of it, i'm going to mess with other server software and see if i can get it to work. serviio and foobar2000 are the two i'm going to try.

4) haven't messed with it much, kinda wonky using controller but at a glance it seems it can be pretty good. plenty of options to play with.

controlling the unit with the android app is sooooo cool. hehe. can control both zones with it. who needs a remote?
post #1098 of 2155 Old 03-06-2012, 10:59 AM

I have an RX V671 with sansui 750 main speakers and energy take classic for the surround speakers. The bass does not go to the sansui's (w16" woofers). I have an old RCA 65watt sub that can't handle the job, especially for music. What is a good subwoofer to match to this receiver? Does it need to be 8ohm?
post #1099 of 2155 Old 03-06-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagletwin View Post

3) the SQ is fine. .wav plays as .wav, however, i have not been able to get browser or receiver to see my content. It DOES work great with droid app, i can push songs from pc to receiver just fine with the app. do i need unit/browser to see content now?, doubt it. for the heck of it, i'm going to mess with other server software and see if i can get it to work. serviio and foobar2000 are the two i'm going to try.

You may try TVersity too. It has worked great for me. I can stream audio to my RX-v671 and audio/video to my PS3.
post #1100 of 2155 Old 03-07-2012, 05:10 AM

Thxs I agree is probably the colour. Will have to compare both prices.
post #1101 of 2155 Old 03-07-2012, 07:31 PM

Liked: 11
Got a Question... Just got my Rx-V671 today and I LOVE IT.... questions tho... i have an XBOX 360 and currently use the Component Cables to use until i can get another HDMI cable for it... I have read the manual and hooked it up correctly... using AV2 and AV5 for Audio purposes... but neither the video nor the audio come thru... HELP !!!!
post #1102 of 2155 Old 03-07-2012, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytrell87 View Post

Got a Question... Just got my Rx-V671 today and I LOVE IT.... questions tho... i have an XBOX 360 and currently use the Component Cables to use until i can get another HDMI cable for it... I have hooked the RED, BLUE and GREEN in but i dont know where to put the RED and YELLOW (AUDIO) in... ANY HELP?? PLEASE

Hi Kytrell87, you're better off using an optical cable. Look at the Xbox 360 A/V Component Cable housing as there is an small square jack. Otherwise connect the audio cables (red & white) to AUDIO-1 or 2 (set audio input).
post #1103 of 2155 Old 03-07-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi Kytrell87, you're better off using an optical cable. Look at the Xbox 360 A/V Component Cable housing as there is an small square jack. Otherwise connect the audio cables (red & white) to AUDIO-1 or 2 (set audio input).

Thank you... the Audio is working.... NOW i cant see the Video.... i have the component RED, GREEN, BLUE plugged into AV2 ... any other ideas??? THanks
post #1104 of 2155 Old 03-07-2012, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you... the Audio is working.... NOW i cant see the Video.... i have the component RED, GREEN, BLUE plugged into AV2 ... any other ideas??? THanks

Example: Connect the Xbox Component video cables (red,blue,green) to Component Video AV-2 and audio cables (red, white) to AUDIO-2. Then go into Input Menu -> AV-2 and assign Audio In menu to "AUDIO-2". Then on the remote select AV-2 as your input source.
post #1105 of 2155 Old 03-07-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:

Example: Connect the Xbox Component video cables (red,blue,green) to Component Video AV-2 and audio cables (red, white) to AUDIO-2. Then go into Input Menu -> AV-2 and assign Audio In menu to "AUDIO-2". Then on the remote select AV-2 as your input source.

YES SIR... That's what I did.. I hear the audio, but no video is coming through... I HEAR everything... and SEE nothing
post #1106 of 2155 Old 03-07-2012, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

YES SIR... That's what I did.. I hear the audio, but no video is coming through... I HEAR everything... and SEE nothing

Check the switch on the Xbox 360 A/V Component cable housing is set to HDTV. If still unable to get video, connect the Xbox 360 directly to tv and go into "Console Settings" set the display resolution to 1080i or 720p. Then reconnect back to receiver and test.
post #1107 of 2155 Old 03-07-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:

Check the switch on the Xbox 360 A/V Component cable housing is set to HDTV. If still unable to get video, connect the Xbox 360 directly to tv and go into "Console Settings" set the display resolution to 1080i or 720p. Then reconnect back to receiver and test.

Thank you.... it was the input... It needed to be set to 1080i.... thank you...its working now
post #1108 of 2155 Old 03-08-2012, 06:47 AM

Proud new owner of a 671!! I have only powered it up once due to the following problem...

Here's my problem the Sammy BluRay player on top of my 671 blocks the vents, and I'm scared it will overheat. I can't move the bluRay to the XBOX shelf since it will force the xbox too high and it will overheat. Last but not least where the Kinect is my center channel will be so I can't raise that shelf. Any opinions or options that I'm missing? I have side shelves that I could put the xbox on vertically but I've heard bad things come from this?
post #1109 of 2155 Old 03-08-2012, 06:55 AM

Since I own my RX-V671 I frequently have problemens with Net Radio.
After I power it up it says "Not Connected". Only after toggle the DHCP off/on I can get it back to work. Other network functionalities are working fine though (PC).
What could I do to make the connection stable?
post #1110 of 2155 Old 03-08-2012, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnofx View Post

I'm scared it will overheat

It won't.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
" - MLK

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V671 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V671 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page