The "official" Yamaha RX-V671 thread. 7.1-Channel Network AVR - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2150 Old 06-28-2011, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixone View Post

I ended up restoring my Fios router to it's default manufacture's settings and [...] Now I can see my PC's music folder on my Yamaha.

Good to know!

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
" - MLK

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2150 Old 06-28-2011, 05:54 PM

Liked: 14
Is anyone running component in with HDMI out sy a Xbox 360? I've got a older 360 using component cable to the TV now. I plan on mounting the TV to the wall and running two HDMI cable (one for spare) but hadn't thoguht if I should do component cables or not. My present Rec'r doesn't do all this HDMI and upscaling so everything is direct connections. This is a big step and big upgrade. Should the component in and "One HDMI" out be ok or is there issues or slight bumps with this connection?

By the way we've got a Harmony 700 on order so I hope this all will work out. Our first major Learning remote.
post #93 of 2150 Old 06-28-2011, 07:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.DTS View Post

Is anyone running component in with HDMI out sy a Xbox 360? I've got a older 360 using component cable to the TV now. I plan on mounting the TV to the wall and running two HDMI cable (one for spare) but hadn't thoguht if I should do component cables or not. My present Rec'r doesn't do all this HDMI and upscaling so everything is direct connections. This is a big step and big upgrade. Should the component in and "One HDMI" out be ok or is there issues or slight bumps with this connection?

By the way we've got a Harmony 700 on order so I hope this all will work out. Our first major Learning remote.

Analog to HDMI conversion in these AVRs is mediocre at best. Passing component video direct to the TV or straight through the AVR is recommended for best picture quality. Also, the TV likely has separate picture adjustments for component input vs HDMI, so calibration specific to the XBox is not possible if you convert it to HDMI in an AVR.
post #94 of 2150 Old 06-29-2011, 05:04 AM

Thanks for the input and heads up on the component to HDMI. I'll probably go ahead and plan to run a set thru. It's no big deal since I'm using adouble gang pass thru box on top and botton.

However I have another question...heat coming from the open vents on top or if any at all. I've got a open rack tower where I've had my Denon on the bottom byitself. But I'm going to move things around and my only option is to have the Yamaha and Sony BR player on the same shelf which means the player on top.

I'm going to use a little trick I found to increase the space while making it look neat. Over at the DSL Reports Forum some were getting heat issues with modems and routers. So we took say chrome kitchen door knobs and used double stick tape and put them in the corners. It gave another inch of space and made a world of difference. From what I've read the Yammys don't put much out, almost like Denons which was a factor in my decision vs a Onkyo which started out at the top.
post #95 of 2150 Old 06-29-2011, 08:11 AM

A question about using Large Fronts with power sub in the manual setup...

I'm going to try the 7.1 with presence peakers by using my almost forgotten PSB 500i Century speakers as my main fronts and moving the Boston sts in the corners as my "Presence Speakers".

I'm looking at thenonline manual about the setup and you have "Large & Small" speaker choices. With "Large-all frequencies' will pass. There is also a "Extra Bass" setting (off default).

These PSB's have a LF cutoff of 32Hz with a normal range of 50-20,000 HZ at 6 Ohms and a 10-150 watt rating.

I've got a Boston sub that does pretty good. But I want just a td more ...umph as we say but not to overpower the mids and highs. What setting should I use for the sub crossover and should I engage the 'Extra Bass'?

Kenny J
post #96 of 2150 Old 06-29-2011, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

A question about using Large Fronts with power sub in the manual setup[...]

I've got a Boston sub that does pretty good. But I want just a tad more ...oomph as we say but not to overpower the mids and highs. What setting should I use for the sub crossover and should I engage the 'Extra Bass'?

When first configuring a system that includes 'large' L|R Main speakers, I run a complete setup three different ways: (1) with the L|R Main speakers set to SMALL, (2) with the L|R Main speakers set to LARGE, and (3) with the L|R Main speakers set to LARGE, plus "Extra Bass" ENABLED. Typically, one of the three configurations can be quickly eliminated, because the resulting bass response is either "too boomy" or "too thin" . . . then I pick whichever of the other two I think sounds better.

A good starting point for the AVR crossover setting is what the AVR's auto setup picked . . . based on the capabilities of the C|LS|RS|LR|RR speakers...

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #97 of 2150 Old 06-29-2011, 12:51 PM

Liked: 10
Am assuming that other 671 owners have this working, since am not seeing any particular posts regarding but, is there any "trick" to getting it to work?

I've got my 671 connected to my home network over ethernet, can "see" the receiver on my router's list of connected devices and can also see the receiver as an available device from a Windows 7 laptop. The receiver info page indicates that I have an IP address (which I manually configured to 192.168.1.71) and then configured default gateway and subnet masks to match that displayed within IPconfig on my laptop, but when I try to hit that IP from the browser on my laptop, I don't really get any response. The browser just more or less "hangs" and never resolves a page. Since I haven't gotten connected yet, I don't really know what functionality I'm missing, EXCEPT I'd really love to be able to backup the receiver configuration via the browser interface before going too much further.

Also, have tried IE and Firefox AND disabled the antivirus on the laptop, still no go. Any suggestions appreciated.
post #98 of 2150 Old 06-29-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONALDSONKD View Post

Am assuming that other 671 owners have this working, since am not seeing any particular posts regarding but, is there any "trick" to getting it to work?
browser interface before going too much further.

Also, have tried IE and Firefox AND disabled the antivirus on the laptop, still no go. Any suggestions appreciated.

I assume you are trying to stream your PC's music to your RX-V671.
If so, open windows media player, on the top click stream. A drop down list will appear and choose "automatically allow devices to play my media". If a prompt comes up, click automatically allow all computers and media devices. Then click on "more streaming options" and make sure "media programs on this pc and remote connections" and your yamaha rx-v671 both show allow. Hope that helps.
post #99 of 2150 Old 06-29-2011, 05:24 PM

At times I am getting "snow" on my plasma when watcvhiung tv. had the same issue with the Denon XX12 with Boston Accoustics speakers (the home theater in a box) from Best buy. Sent the Denon out for a firmware update, came back, same problem, snow constantly flashing every 3 seconds. When I direct connect from cable box to TV it goes away. Bewst Buy said it was probably the denon unit. I exchanged and went for the Yamaha RX-671. Now I get a little bit of snow wioth this unit.

Any ideas or suggestion?

The Geek Squad has not impressed me with their ability to troubleshoot. I have returned two units already.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
post #100 of 2150 Old 06-29-2011, 05:49 PM

Phoenixone--thx for the quick response. Unfortunately, no, not attempting to stream media. At this point, all I want to try to do is to access the receiver controls via a web browser. Would appear to be very straight-forward from the manual but I cannot get it to work at all. Have you been able to do this?
post #101 of 2150 Old 06-29-2011, 06:34 PM

Liked: 11
Why don't the Yamaha receivers have the left & right RCA audio connections on the component inputs? I see the coaxial and optical inputs but no left & right RCA?
post #102 of 2150 Old 06-29-2011, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcoupe View Post

Why don't the Yamaha receivers have the left & right RCA audio connections on the component inputs? I see the coaxial and optical inputs but no left & right RCA?

There's a way to combine analog L/R audio with component video. See page 27 of the 671 manual.
post #103 of 2150 Old 06-29-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:

If you're talking about the RX-V671 they do but they're at the end of the RCA outputs on the bottom left side and not directly under the Component In. Look at the picture of the rear. Look for "Component Video-Monitor Out" which is almost middle/left. Under that is RCA L&R for "Audio 1 and Audio 2" which is for inputs AV1 and AV2.
post #104 of 2150 Old 06-29-2011, 07:23 PM

I'm not the only one who was looking at the 667 and considering the 671 as well. I'm hoping the price of the 671 will go down to nearly match that of the 667.
post #105 of 2150 Old 06-29-2011, 07:56 PM

OK. Figured out my browser access problem: the MAC address filter was turned on and not configured, so no computers could directly access the controls. Once I disabled this, I was able to access the controls immediately.
post #106 of 2150 Old 06-29-2011, 07:59 PM

OK. Next question: Have read that it's possible to toggle the volume control that normally appears on the television screen to "off" so that you don't have to look at it. Just combed through the manual on this and I cannot find this setting AT ALL. If anyone knows that, again, would greatly appreciate it.

TIA!
post #107 of 2150 Old 06-29-2011, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Look for the "Short Message" setting to turn off the volume display (page 98 of the 671 manual).
post #108 of 2150 Old 06-29-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONALDSONKD View Post

OK. Next question: Have read that it's possible to toggle the volume control that normally appears on the television screen to "off" so that you don't have to look at it. Just combed through the manual on this and I cannot find this setting AT ALL. If anyone knows that, again, would greatly appreciate it.

TIA!

Glad you were able to solve your previous problem.
kriktsemaj99 has the correct solution for getting rid of the volume control.
post #109 of 2150 Old 06-29-2011, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kusanagi-sama View Post

I'm not the only one who was looking at the 667 and considering the 671 as well. I'm hoping the price of the 671 will go down to nearly match that of the 667.

If you wait until this time next year--after the (likely numbered) RX-V673 has been released--you'll probably get your wish!

"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #110 of 2150 Old 06-29-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex View Post

If you wait until this time next year--after the (likely numbered) RX-V673 has been released--you'll probably get your wish!

LOL, that's probably when I'll be able to buy it too.
post #111 of 2150 Old 06-29-2011, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

I have I hope to be one of the stupidest questions: I just received an 867 tonight but for some reason the display on the receiver will NOT show anything. I can bring up the OSD menu on the TV and all the controls seem to work OK but I have nothing on the screen the receiver. Hopefully I hit an incorrect button. I have scoured the manual but nothing....

(Still can't get networking to work right so far. I see the receivers MAC address on the router and I set a DHCP reservation and set it to static still nothing. The receiver can't see out. Upnp is enabled on the router.)

username should now be "ThumperYZ69"
post #112 of 2150 Old 06-29-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

There's a way to combine analog L/R audio with component video. See page 27 of the 671 manual.

Quote:

If you're talking about the RX-V671 they do but they're at the end of the RCA outputs on the bottom left side and not directly under the Component In. Look at the picture of the rear. Look for "Component Video-Monitor Out" which is almost middle/left. Under that is RCA L&R for "Audio 1 and Audio 2" which is for inputs AV1 and AV2.

Found it.
post #113 of 2150 Old 06-29-2011, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperxr69 View Post

I have I hope to be one of the stupidest questions: I just received an 867 tonight but for some reason the display on the receiver will NOT show anything. I can bring up the OSD menu on the TV and all the controls seem to work OK but I have nothing on the screen the receiver. Hopefully I hit an incorrect button. I have scoured the manual but nothing....

Hi thumperxr69, possible "Pure Direct" is enabled or "Dimmer" is adjusted to zero.
post #114 of 2150 Old 06-30-2011, 07:05 AM

Anyone using a Harmony on the 671 yet? I've ordered a "700" which based on what I was aiming for, was recommended over at the RX-V671/771 thread. And any tips on setting a Harmony up with the AVR (first time using one by the way).

Kenny J
post #115 of 2150 Old 06-30-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

Look for the "Short Message" setting to turn off the volume display (page 98 of the 671 manual).

Thank you SOOOO much for this! I was searching pdf for the word "volume" (which still should have found it for me...) but I guess there's only a couple of thousand instances of the word in the document...

Your help is greatly appreciated. I wish ALL TV equipment allowed this toggle. I really don't need the screen display--my ears are what cares about the volume--my eyes just want to see the pretty pictures....!
post #116 of 2150 Old 07-01-2011, 07:43 AM

Excellent info on the OSD volume. I got my 671 hooked up last night, and my first thought was, "That OSD volume thing has got to go..."

I have to say, I'm truly pleased with the 671 so far. I was really glad to see that the PEQ is pretty much as in-depth as you want it to be, and after arranging some settings along with being able to control the Q, really made a huge difference in the definition of my Monitor 70s.
post #117 of 2150 Old 07-01-2011, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Store ads showing front/back images:
RX-A810
RX-V871
RX-A710 . . . looks like it might be the RX-V671 electronics (plus RS-232 port) in an RX-A810 size case...?

post #118 of 2150 Old 07-03-2011, 10:43 AM

What type of things does Yamaha update with a firmware update? I assume they don't add decoders or anything. The list of decoders seems very complete as far as I can see.
post #119 of 2150 Old 07-03-2011, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What type of things does Yamaha update with a firmware update?

Usually they only fix what they consider to be bugs. For example, lots of people complained that the on-screen volume could not be disabled on the 667. They added this option on the next model (671), but they did not go back and add it to the 667 via a firmware update.

The few times new features have been added in an update, I think they planned those features all along and just didn't have them ready in time for the initial release (e.g. the first 3D models actually needed an update to pass 3D).
post #120 of 2150 Old 07-04-2011, 01:36 PM

I have been attempting to get ARC to work between my HDTV and the 671. It would appear that ARC is enabled on the TV and the 671, but I don't hear TV audio through the 671. Has anyone been able to get ARC to work? What input setting should be selected (or does it matter)? Does the ARC only work for HDMI sources or does TV audio feed back to the receiver as well?

That's not a bug, it's a feature!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V671 Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page