The "official" Yamaha RX-V671 thread. 7.1-Channel Network AVR - Page 44 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1291 of 2150 Old 05-05-2012, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddios View Post

I just purchased a new RX-V671 and am having some issues with 1080i video from my Directv DVR receiver. The screen will flash very few minutes and have video "glitches, pink or white blocks, that last for just milliseconds but appear at odd intervals every few minutes. I rewind the DVR to see if it is in the same spot every time but It is not and is very random. That tells me it is not from the recorded content but created from the Yamaha 671 unit. If I manually change the output from 1080i to 720p on the DVR, the video is perfect and will never have the random artifacts. Also when accessing the setup menu while the input is 1080i, it will also flash on and off rapidly and will not display correctly on the screen with most of the menu not visible and off the screen. This unit was sold as being able to handle 1080i resolution. Any help is very appreciated!

Daddios-see my earlier posting on this page. I don't know if my issues are directly related to 1080i but I'm experiencing some of the same issues you are experiencing. I've done a reset and reboot and it did not solve any of the issues. Guess I'll be calling Yamaha on Monday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1292 of 2150 Old 05-05-2012, 01:28 PM

Trying to decide between this and the TX-NR609. Can anyone who already has this model post a screenshot of the PC control page so I can see what it looks like?
post #1293 of 2150 Old 05-05-2012, 01:47 PM

@Daddios

I too have noticed the brief flashes while watching DirecTV. It doesn't do it with blu-ray. Funny thing is, I never noticed it until I got my new TV. The old TV never did this. I wonder if that has anything to do with these occasional flashes. New TV is a Samsung 6500 BTW.

My ASUS E35M1-I Deluxe + Antec ISK 310-150 HTPC Project: HTPC Nirvana
post #1294 of 2150 Old 05-05-2012, 06:05 PM

Changed inputs to HDMI2 and that fixed the artifact problem. 1080i from DTV DVR is smooth. HDMI 1 must be for 1080p only.
post #1295 of 2150 Old 05-05-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:

Changed inputs to HDMI2 and that fixed the artifact problem. 1080i from DTV DVR is smooth. HDMI 1 must be for 1080p only.

Changed inputs on your TV or the receiver? Either way, that shouldn't happen. Could be a problem with that HDMI port...
post #1296 of 2150 Old 05-06-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrienzo View Post

You can not stream video through any avr. You have to have it connected via hdmi to get video from pc.

Right thanks. I figured that out about a second afdter i posted it

Another question though....i cant seem to 'play to' the receiver any FLAC music files, only the usual forms and music files have the option to send to the receiver.
Can I play FLAC over the network?
post #1297 of 2150 Old 05-06-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olo567 View Post

Changed inputs on your TV or the receiver? Either way, that shouldn't happen. Could be a problem with that HDMI port...

Changed inputs on the 671. XBOX is now on HDMI 1 input and Directv is HDMI 2 and all works perfect. I used the same HDMI cables so it has to be an issue with 1080i on #1
post #1298 of 2150 Old 05-06-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:

Changed inputs on the 671. XBOX is now on HDMI 1 input and Directv is HDMI 2 and all works perfect. I used the same HDMI cables so it has to be an issue with 1080i on #1

I have DirecTV 1080i on HDMI1 and it's just fine ....
post #1299 of 2150 Old 05-07-2012, 09:15 AM

Liked: 11
Does anyone know if the below feature is possible?

Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by schak View Post

I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on the v671. One feature that I can't seem to get a clear answer for is if the v671 can autoplay a mp3 playlist located on a networked PC drive after startup. The wife would like to be able to turn just the receiver on and have automatically play the mp3s/mp3 playlist stored on another PC on the LAN.

Is this feature possible with the v671 and how would you do it?

Thx

post #1300 of 2150 Old 05-08-2012, 10:57 AM

Just hooked up my Yamaha RXV671 (Sony KDL-46V2500, Oppo BDP-93, Martin Logan Motion 4s). YPAO setup successful. DVDs play fine. HDMI to DVD plugged into HDMI 1 bd/dvd, HDMI to TV plugged into solo HDMI out input. Two issues: I get picture but no sound to speakers from TV; when ipod is plugged into front usb input, receiver recognizes device but device just shows a recognition message. Sorry if these are lame but thnaks for any help.
post #1301 of 2150 Old 05-08-2012, 05:10 PM

Sub woofer has these connections:
* high level
* low level
* low level- left/right

This Yammy doesnt have a pre amp out, so should i use the wired Bi-amp option with the high level or use the sub out on the RX-v671 and connect to the sub to a single input (left or right i cant remember right now)

?
post #1302 of 2150 Old 05-08-2012, 07:41 PM

I'm two weeks into owning this receiver. I purchased an open box Onkyo TX-NR609 before this at a too good to be true price. The Onkyo had issues with it's on screen display and controls, but I had it long enough before returning to be able to make a good comparison. If anyone has any ideas on how to fix the DLNA access on the Android app, I'd love the help:

Yamaha Pros:

- Sound is phenomenal. This is the best sounding receiver that I've owned (in recent years another Onkyo and Harman Kardon)
- Fairly easy to set up.
- YPAO settings can be overridden which the Onkyo's couldn't.

Negatives:

- The manual only comes on CD
- The Android app doesn't work very well with DLNA. I'm having to turn on the TV, select my server, and then select my playlist before the app will show the DLNA content. The Onkyo app seemed to work better. Networking was the main reason that I bought a new receiver so I'm pretty disappointed with this app. Should I have bought the new model with Airplay?
- YPAO setup did a pretty good job with distances (expect the subwoofer which is came up to 1'). YPAO was way off in the volume levels though. I have a sound meter which I used to check and reset. One speaker YPAO thinks is out of phase which it's not.
- TV and Android app graphics look better on the Onkyo.
- No Wifi dongle available.

I know that this sounds like a lot of negatives but, I do prefer the Yamaha. The sound of the Yamaha blows the Onkyo out of the water, which is the most important thing.
post #1303 of 2150 Old 05-08-2012, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by aweedman View Post

YPAO was way off in the volume though. I have a sound meter which I used to check and reset.

Virtually impossible with a closed loop analysis system using swept bandpass filters! There is nothing a broadband SPL meter can do better except, perhaps, measure redundant reflected energy off the walls and ceilings.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
" - MLK

post #1304 of 2150 Old 05-09-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSmith View Post

Sub woofer has these connections:
* high level
* low level
* low level- left/right

This Yammy doesnt have a pre amp out, so should i use the wired Bi-amp option with the high level or use the sub out on the RX-v671 and connect to the sub to a single input (left or right i cant remember right now)

?

Sub out on the 671 is technically the LFE pre-amp. So connect that to low level (left) on your subwoofer.
post #1305 of 2150 Old 05-11-2012, 01:59 PM

Liked: 12
Dumb question but does this reciever play media files from USB? AVI, MP4,etc? if not do you know what brand does?
post #1306 of 2150 Old 05-12-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMarat View Post

Dumb question but does this reciever play media files from USB? AVI, MP4,etc? if not do you know what brand does?

No, and I don't know of any receivers that play video files. You're better off looking at a PS3 or a bluray player that has that feature unfortunately.
post #1307 of 2150 Old 05-13-2012, 12:15 PM

Dear All
I am a new member although proud owner of a V-671 for the last 3 months now.
I have also a set-up comprising Panasonic 42" Plasma(TH-P42X30D) with a 5.1 Mordaunt Short Carnival series speakers and a Samsung BD player.

I have loads of movies on my desktop , mainly in winamp media file ,VLC media file (.mkv) etc. Now my question is how do I transfer or rather play these all on my Home theater set-up. I use a Scandisk 8GB pen drive to load the movies from my desktop,and then play them on my TV using the in-built media player of the TV,but the Yamaha 671 cannot play the audio and the 5.1 speakers remain quite,instead I have to rely on the TV's speakers to watch these movies.I have tried using the USB port on the front panel of 67,although meant for iOS,but to no avail.
One friend suggested,to use a HD videocard with an usb to hdmi converter on my pc.another friend suggested buying a separate media player and a 1tb external HDD and then reloading all the movies on external HDD, then playing it through the external media player via HDMI cable

What to do ? How do I play all video files that are on my computer,through my Yamaha 671,so that I can use my Plasma as the monitor and my home theater speakers as the speakers,instead of the TVs speakers?

Please anybody help.I am NOT a technical person and won't be able to comprehend electronic jargon,if there is a lot in your replies !!
post #1308 of 2150 Old 05-13-2012, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by uchamp View Post

Dear All
I am a new member although proud owner of a V-671 for the last 3 months now.
I have also a set-up comprising Panasonic 42" Plasma(TH-P42X30D) with a 5.1 Mordaunt Short Carnival series speakers and a Samsung BD player.

I have loads of movies on my desktop , mainly in winamp media file ,VLC media file (.mkv) etc. Now my question is how do I transfer or rather play these all on my Home theater set-up. I use a Scandisk 8GB pen drive to load the movies from my desktop,and then play them on my TV using the in-built media player of the TV,but the Yamaha 671 cannot play the audio and the 5.1 speakers remain quite,instead I have to rely on the TV's speakers to watch these movies.I have tried using the USB port on the front panel of 67,although meant for iOS,but to no avail.
One friend suggested,to use a HD videocard with an usb to hdmi converter on my pc.another friend suggested buying a separate media player and a 1tb external HDD and then reloading all the movies on external HDD, then playing it through the external media player via HDMI cable

What to do ? How do I play all video files that are on my computer,through my Yamaha 671,so that I can use my Plasma as the monitor and my home theater speakers as the speakers,instead of the TVs speakers?

Please anybody help.I am NOT a technical person and won't be able to comprehend electronic jargon,if there is a lot in your replies !!

Have you tried connecting the optical audio out from your tv to the 671?
post #1309 of 2150 Old 05-14-2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTide2011 View Post

Have you tried connecting the optical audio out from your tv to the 671?

Would that work ? Do you mean connecting an optical cable ? TV what out to AVR what in, would that be ?
post #1310 of 2150 Old 05-15-2012, 07:52 AM

Liked: 12
Anyone here tried using Audio Technica ATH-A900X headphones with the RX-V671 receiver?
If so, how did they sound?

Yamaha RX-V671 receiver

Infinity Beta 5.1

post #1311 of 2150 Old 05-15-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uchamp View Post

Would that work ? Do you mean connecting an optical cable ? TV what out to AVR what in, would that be ?

yes, use an optical audio cable from tv to av4 optical audio in. also if tv has ARC audio should feed over HDMI if you read through the first 15-20 pgs of this thread you will learn alot about both of these methods.
post #1312 of 2150 Old 05-15-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olo567 View Post

Trying to decide between this and the TX-NR609. Can anyone who already has this model post a screenshot of the PC control page so I can see what it looks like?

If you will look at this thread you will find pic of app on my IPad.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1410412
post #1313 of 2150 Old 05-16-2012, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
I have the v573 but I may switch to the 671. Here are my needs and wants. I went with the 573 because I wanted a no nonsense way of playing digital through my B speakers. My current setup is a+b so I can have TV sound in my kitchen as well.

The whole zone 2 and no digital out on the 671 and 571 was BS in my opinion. I really do not like the idea of being forced to use analog to feed my other zone as well as seperate volume. The 573 is old school a+b operation and works perfectly.

But I am thinking it may be worth this bit of inconvenience to get the extra bells and whistles of the 671.

The most superficial thing that is still a big deal to me, is getting rid of the rediculous on-screen volume indicator. I find it extremely lame that they would not give the option to remove that on the 5x series but do on the 6x series. There is no reason to have left this out.

I do like the HDMI front input on the 671 as well as the up conversion which may not even be used by me but nice none the less.

The bit of extra power would also be welcome.

I would be giving up 4k pass through but I will have my 65vt50 for several years so really do not care about that.

And from what I have read, the HDMI control, ARC, and standby pass through are the same between these two models. Pass through of video and audio is a must for me as i like to go to standby at night and use my BT headset off of my vt50.

Any input is appreciated.

Gunga Gulunga..... Gunga Kunga Galunga..... On your deathbed you will receive total consciousness. So I got that goin' for me.
post #1314 of 2150 Old 05-16-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopperMcFly View Post

I have the v573 but I may switch to the 671. Here are my needs and wants. I went with the 573 because I wanted a no nonsense way of playing digital through my B speakers. My current setup is a+b so I can have TV sound in my kitchen as well.

The whole zone 2 and no digital out on the 671 and 571 was BS in my opinion. I really do not like the idea of being forced to use analog to feed my other zone as well as seperate volume. The 573 is old school a+b operation and works perfectly.

But I am thinking it may be worth this bit of inconvenience to get the extra bells and whistles of the 671.

The most superficial thing that is still a big deal to me, is getting rid of the rediculous on-screen volume indicator. I find it extremely lame that they would not give the option to remove that on the 5x series but do on the 6x series. There is no reason to have left this out.

I do like the HDMI front input on the 671 as well as the up conversion which may not even be used by me but nice none the less.

The bit of extra power would also be welcome.

I would be giving up 4k pass through but I will have my 65vt50 for several years so really do not care about that.

And from what I have read, the HDMI control, ARC, and standby pass through are the same between these two models. Pass through of video and audio is a must for me as i like to go to standby at night and use my BT headset off of my vt50.

Any input is appreciated.

There are ways around the no digital in zone2, I'm running my AppleTV in zone 2. Use a Toshlink to RCA converter.
post #1315 of 2150 Old 05-17-2012, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckp View Post

There are ways around the no digital in zone2, I'm running my AppleTV in zone 2. Use a Toshlink to RCA converter.

Good idea, I can run off the optical audio out of my Directv box for zone2. But 2 questions.

1. What will I truly gain by using the toslink. Does it do a better job of converting to analog than the directv box itself?

2. I assume I will have ot change the audio out on my STB to PCM from Dolby Digital. Every toslink I have found will not deal with DD and will only pass static if that is waht is presented to it.

I am wondering if using the Presence function may be the way to go for me. Then I am not juggling with seperate volume controls and cables and I would leave zone 2 available for patio or something.

Hmmmm

Gunga Gulunga..... Gunga Kunga Galunga..... On your deathbed you will receive total consciousness. So I got that goin' for me.
post #1316 of 2150 Old 05-17-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopperMcFly View Post

Good idea, I can run off the optical audio out of my Directv box for zone2. But 2 questions.

1. What will I truly gain by using the toslink. Does it do a better job of converting to analog than the directv box itself?

2. I assume I will have ot change the audio out on my STB to PCM from Dolby Digital. Every toslink I have found will not deal with DD and will only pass static if that is waht is presented to it.

I am wondering if using the Presence function may be the way to go for me. Then I am not juggling with seperate volume controls and cables and I would leave zone 2 available for patio or something.

Hmmmm

Well I was addressing zone 2 which will be stereo only regardless, use zone1 for your main. I use my AppleTV this way, HDMI to 671 zone1 for video and/or music. The tosh (and RCA) cable to zone2 (out of the AppleTV) for music only (deck speakers).
post #1317 of 2150 Old 05-17-2012, 07:45 PM

Hi All!

This is my first post in the AVS Forum, I've always lurked around and learn a lot and I am glad to be finally on board.

I am looking to replace my very dated Yamaha AX2, Currently looking at the new, yet to be release RX-V773 but I do have some questions. Since there's no dedicated forum for the 773, I hope you don't mind if I post it here.

First, here's my equipment:

SONY FAT PS3
5 Tannoy Arena satellite speakers set up. Due to placement limitation, couch is up against the wall, front left, Right and center speakers are 2 feet below ear level. Rear surrounds are 7 feet high.

I intent to do the 7.1 with Yamaha presence since surround back speakers are impossible. I am hoping that with the addition of the Yamaha presence speakers it would be able to do the dialog lift and adds atmospheric sounds to compensate for the lower than usual front speakers.

Here are the questions:

1) I have read that the Fatter PS3 only outputs PCM. How and will the Yamaha presence speakers work with PCM? Do I simply choose 5.1 on the PS3 and Yamaha will do the rest or what? I am extremely confused on this. It seems silly to buy a new receiver but letting the PS3 does all the work. .
2) Will the Dolby Pro Logic IIz work equally well with PCM outputs?
3) In terms of the presence speakers, my options are: a pair of Klipsch RS 42II, or an additional pair of the used Arena satellite. I understand that voice matching for the speakers is important but less so for the presence speakers. With Klipsch wide dispersion sound I am also hoping to compensate for the less than ideal front speaker placement. Or do you think that using my current rear surrounds as presence speakers and use the Klipsch for my rear surrounds will be better(they will still be 7 feet high)?

Please shed some light on this if possible, any input is greatly appreciated!
post #1318 of 2150 Old 05-17-2012, 09:04 PM

Liked: 11
The Presence speakers don't need to be voice-matched with other speakers. When you enable the Presence speakers in the menu (and therefore disable the surround back speakers on the 773), the 773 will automatically utilize the Presence speakers when you select the appropriate surround modes on the 773. Dolby PLIIz is very similar to the Yamaha Presence mode but I preferred the Yamaha Presence mode (it sounds much better to me).

RX-V773WA Page (you can download the manual under the Support tab)
post #1319 of 2150 Old 05-18-2012, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSmith View Post

Right thanks. I figured that out about a second afdter i posted it

Another question though....i cant seem to 'play to' the receiver any FLAC music files, only the usual forms and music files have the option to send to the receiver.
Can I play FLAC over the network?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweedman View Post

I'm two weeks into owning this receiver. I purchased an open box Onkyo TX-NR609 before this at a too good to be true price. The Onkyo had issues with it's on screen display and controls, but I had it long enough before returning to be able to make a good comparison. If anyone has any ideas on how to fix the DLNA access on the Android app, I'd love the help:

Negatives:

- The Android app doesn't work very well with DLNA. I'm having to turn on the TV, select my server, and then select my playlist before the app will show the DLNA content. The Onkyo app seemed to work better. Networking was the main reason that I bought a new receiver so I'm pretty disappointed with this app. Should I have bought the new model with Airplay?

I know that this sounds like a lot of negatives but, I do prefer the Yamaha. The sound of the Yamaha blows the Onkyo out of the water, which is the most important thing.

hi all,
just bought 671 one week ago and really loving it!
I have a question but first wanted to reply those 2 post;
You can definitely stream your FLAC files over DLNA SixSmith, which im doing it via Android app from the day one.
aweedman, Android app working flawlessly! at my side. Actually i couldnt believe app and receiver connect each other how easily and very instant when i tried it to first time. And still works amazing.

My question is about speaker set up advice:
i have 7.1 speakers set up.
I read at some forums that the latest researches shows that front surround effect and amount of speakers more important then rear surround, and also 2 rear speakers is enough for the good envelope feeling. As you know, Audyssey (not talking about the way Audyssey measure the room) using this method for surround sound and we have similar approach with "Presence" speakers.
I would like to ask, should i use my 2 extra speakers as usual 7.1 speaker set up or use them as Presence speakers? I have a big room by the way. Will i get the benefit of HD sounds mix as 6.1-7.1 with Presence speakers?
Thanks in advance for your replies.
Cheers
post #1320 of 2150 Old 05-19-2012, 06:44 AM

I've got an RX-V771, but since the controls are probably the same as the 671, I'm posting my question in this forum.

Currently I have a stereo setup. Is there a way to configure the thing such that it starts in Pure Direct mode when powering it up?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V671 Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page