The "official" Yamaha RX-V671 thread. 7.1-Channel Network AVR - Page 45 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1321 of 2155 Old 05-20-2012, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just picked up a 671, sounds good but I am hoping someone can give me a clue on how this can be acheived.....
When using optical from the tv to avr, are there any RCA outs that can be used? I have a pair of powered speakers which need RCA inputs, but this Yammy does not have pre outs so how can i get that done?
Also, I havnt checked this yet but my TV is new so im assuming it might support ARC, if so....and i connect it via HDMI in from the tv (ARC) to the receiver, are there any of the RCA outs which can be used when HDMI is selected as the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1322 of 2155 Old 05-21-2012, 01:17 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy69 View Post

Just picked up a 671, sounds good but I am hoping someone can give me a clue on how this can be acheived.....
When using optical from the tv to avr, are there any RCA outs that can be used? I have a pair of powered speakers which need RCA inputs, but this Yammy does not have pre outs so how can i get that done?
Also, I havnt checked this yet but my TV is new so im assuming it might support ARC, if so....and i connect it via HDMI in from the tv (ARC) to the receiver, are there any of the RCA outs which can be used when HDMI is selected as the input.

Is there a zone 2?
if so, then use it.

Yamaha RX-V671 receiver

Infinity Beta 5.1

post #1323 of 2155 Old 05-21-2012, 05:41 AM

Quote:

There are "pre-outs" for left and right, as well as a zone 2. However these are for analog sources only, so optical and HDMI in will not be output.

Your best option would be passing RCAs as well from TV out to one of the analog audio inputs on the receiver first.
post #1324 of 2155 Old 05-21-2012, 05:38 PM

Yeah thats the problem, the tv is new and only has hdmi and optical outs. The "pre outs" currently works well with my dvd plater, tuner etc. its only when optical and hdmi from tv are used that I cant find a way to use rca outs from the ARV.
I think the best will be to use the active speakers for stereo in my room and buy a pair of fronts. Any suggestions that will suit the yamaha series with say US$250. (Just fronts, bookshelf or floor standers)
post #1325 of 2155 Old 05-22-2012, 05:59 AM

Quote:

Yeah thats the problem, the tv is new and only has hdmi and optical outs. The "pre outs" currently works well with my dvd plater, tuner etc. its only when optical and hdmi from tv are used that I cant find a way to use rca outs from the ARV.
I think the best will be to use the active speakers for stereo in my room and buy a pair of fronts. Any suggestions that will suit the yamaha series with say US$250. (Just fronts, bookshelf or floor standers)

Just out of curiousity, what's the TV model? I've never seen the RCAs eliminated, wow.
post #1326 of 2155 Old 05-24-2012, 03:36 AM

I am keeping on trying to stream music from a PC to rv-v671, but streaming means that I can fast foward a song in my PC, and it plays through yamaha...I can access shared folders from yamaha to my PC, but it is not what I want....

Has anybody got it??? I can not believe anybody has need it...cause yamaha has no controls for fast fowarding in a song.
post #1327 of 2155 Old 05-24-2012, 08:13 PM

I just got a 671 this week. I'm having a problem with the YPAO speaker calibration. I'm getting a W-1 error at the end of the calibration process. When I check the details of what is wrong, I'm told all 5 of my speakers are out of phase. I know all the speakers are wired properly (plus to plus, negative to negative).

Also the volume level indicator is in negative decibels, with the number getting smaller as I turn the volume up.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

No man leaves before his time - unless the boss leaves early.

Groucho Marx
post #1328 of 2155 Old 05-25-2012, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Bro View Post

I just got a 671 this week. I'm having a problem with the YPAO speaker calibration. I'm getting a W-1 error at the end of the calibration process. When I check the details of what is wrong, I'm told all 5 of my speakers are out of phase. I know all the speakers are wired properly (plus to plus, negative to negative).

Also the volume level indicator is in negative decibels, with the number getting smaller as I turn the volume up.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

According to the manual, you might get the out of phase error even when they're wired correctly with some speakers. I'd ignore it if you're sure of your wiring.

Since they're negative numbers, it's actually going up as you turn it up.
That's perfectly normal. 0 dB is the reference level, and louder that you should ever be.
post #1329 of 2155 Old 05-25-2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olo567 View Post

According to the manual, you might get the out of phase error even when they're wired correctly with some speakers. I'd ignore it if you're sure of your wiring.

Since they're negative numbers, it's actually going up as you turn it up.
That's perfectly normal. 0 dB is the reference level, and louder that you should ever be.

Thanks! So far I love the receiver, but just want to ensure I've maximized all the connections and settings.

Groucho Marx
post #1330 of 2155 Old 05-25-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javibmw View Post

I am keeping on trying to stream music from a PC to rv-v671, but streaming means that I can fast foward a song in my PC, and it plays through yamaha...I can access shared folders from yamaha to my PC, but it is not what I want....

Whether or not you can do things like FF and pause usually depend more on the DLNA server (on the PC) that the client. What server are you running? If you're not running a DLNA server, then you're probably just accessing at the file level, and you won't be able to FF and stuff.
post #1331 of 2155 Old 05-25-2012, 10:25 AM

Liked: 14
Besides using Windows Media Player to stream music from my PC to the 671, is there any other similar type of platform I can use instead? Like winamp or the likes?
Thanks.
post #1332 of 2155 Old 05-25-2012, 01:52 PM

Hello.

I'm using a rx-v671 for about a week and i'm very pleased with the sound it's deliver combined to cabasse speakers.

I'm using it with a wirless headphone RS180 form sennheiser.

But i miss an option (or it's in but i haven't found it), each time i plug the headphone the speakers are disabled, so i need to plug/unplug the headphone jack everytime i need to use the headphone, it's not good for the headphone's jack longevity and not very convenient too.

So is there any way that i can leave the headphone jack plugged in and switch between headphone and speackers with the remote contoler ?

Thanks a lot
post #1333 of 2155 Old 05-25-2012, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixone View Post

Besides using Windows Media Player to stream music from my PC to the 671, is there any other similar type of platform I can use instead? Like winamp or the likes?
Thanks.

I use TVersity I downloaded the free version I seems to work well also works with ps3
post #1334 of 2155 Old 05-25-2012, 05:44 PM

YPAO always sets my fronts to large. Is there a way to force it to recognize them as small. If not, I know I can go in and change it manually. But would I need to change anything else? BTW, it sets the crossover to 120.
post #1335 of 2155 Old 05-25-2012, 06:29 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTide2011 View Post

I use TVersity I downloaded the free version I seems to work well also works with ps3

Thanks RollTide. But I realized you need a license key to use this. Was looking for something free.
post #1336 of 2155 Old 05-26-2012, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0rk View Post

Whether or not you can do things like FF and pause usually depend more on the DLNA server (on the PC) that the client. What server are you running? If you're not running a DLNA server, then you're probably just accessing at the file level, and you won't be able to FF and stuff.

I have tried media player 12, tversity..but I do not agree with you about problems are dlna server...for example, using tversity, I start streaming...but...in yamaha, what option or how do you select streaming url or string???

That is the problem, as I see.

Any solution??
post #1337 of 2155 Old 05-26-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixone View Post

Thanks.

I prefer using Foobar for PC music audio.

Yamaha RX-V671 receiver

Infinity Beta 5.1

post #1338 of 2155 Old 05-26-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satsuki_yatoshi View Post

Hello.

I'm using a rx-v671 for about a week and i'm very pleased with the sound it's deliver combined to cabasse speakers.

I'm using it with a wirless headphone RS180 form sennheiser.

But i miss an option (or it's in but i haven't found it), each time i plug the headphone the speakers are disabled, so i need to plug/unplug the headphone jack everytime i need to use the headphone, it's not good for the headphone's jack longevity and not very convenient too.

So is there any way that i can leave the headphone jack plugged in and switch between headphone and speakers with the remote contoler ?

Thanks a lot

I believe the RX-V671 uses one of the speaker amplifier(s) to power the headphone jack, So the RX-V671 can only do speakers or headphone, but not both at the same time.
You could always hook up the Sen RS180 to the Zone 2 RCA outputs on the RX-V671, but I would assume you lose headphone surround sound, only get stereo sound

Yamaha RX-V671 receiver

Infinity Beta 5.1

post #1339 of 2155 Old 05-26-2012, 01:16 PM

Any suggestions for streaming music from my Mac to the 671 which are on the same network?

Groucho Marx
post #1340 of 2155 Old 05-26-2012, 02:04 PM

I acquired an RX-V671 a few days ago, and have been loving it.

However I've searched around everywhere to try and figure this out, but I can't seem to find a definite answer as to whether the main impedance setting (8 or 6 ohms) also applies to the Zone 2 speakers. The Zone 2 setup faq merely says not to hook them to speakers with an impedance lower than 6 ohms.

So I'm leaning towards thinking this means that it's ok to hook 6-ohm speakers to the Zone 2 terminals even though the only impedance setting available is set to 8 ohms (to match the Main Zone speakers), since separate amps are presumably involved... but I'm leery about jeopardizing the health of this fine system. Especially since on the back there's a box drawn around all the outputs (including the Zone 2 ones), that says if the setting is 8 ohms, then both the front and "other" speakers should be at 8 ohms.

Perhaps this is obvious, but it's my first dedicated receiver, so I have much to learn!

Thanks,
James
post #1341 of 2155 Old 05-26-2012, 05:07 PM

I talked to a Yamaha support rep, and he said the Zone 2 speakers are amped separately and it's perfectly fine to connect them to 6 ohm speakers while the Main Zone is connected to 8 ohm speakers (in case anyone else is wondering the same thing -- which most of you probably aren't. Most people probably just connect a pair of speakers without thinking about it, I imagine)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipperyJim View Post

I acquired an RX-V671 a few days ago, and have been loving it.

However I've searched around everywhere to try and figure this out, but I can't seem to find a definite answer as to whether the main impedance setting (8 or 6 ohms) also applies to the Zone 2 speakers. The Zone 2 setup faq merely says not to hook them to speakers with an impedance lower than 6 ohms.

So I'm leaning towards thinking this means that it's ok to hook 6-ohm speakers to the Zone 2 terminals even though the only impedance setting available is set to 8 ohms (to match the Main Zone speakers), since separate amps are presumably involved... but I'm leery about jeopardizing the health of this fine system. Especially since on the back there's a box drawn around all the outputs (including the Zone 2 ones), that says if the setting is 8 ohms, then both the front and "other" speakers should be at 8 ohms.

Perhaps this is obvious, but it's my first dedicated receiver, so I have much to learn!

Thanks,
James

post #1342 of 2155 Old 05-27-2012, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipperyJim View Post

I talked to a Yamaha support rep, and he said the Zone 2 speakers are amped separately and it's perfectly fine to connect them to 6 ohm speakers while the Main Zone is connected to 8 ohm speakers (in case anyone else is wondering the same thing -- which most of you probably aren't. Most people probably just connect a pair of speakers without thinking about it, I imagine)

Thanks for your answer...With it, I think I am going to use some 6 ohms speakers that I have to use as zone2, cause my whole speakers are 8 ohms.
post #1343 of 2155 Old 05-27-2012, 07:03 PM

Download serviio to stream music to the 671, it is free and works
post #1344 of 2155 Old 05-27-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wthomas69 View Post

Download serviio to stream music to the 671, it is free and works

Thanks! Downloaded and was streaming music to the 671 in less then 10 minutes with Serviio on my Mac.

Groucho Marx
post #1345 of 2155 Old 05-28-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by affliction_emrah View Post

hi all,
just bought 671 one week ago and really loving it!
I have a question but first wanted to reply those 2 post;
You can definitely stream your FLAC files over DLNA SixSmith, which im doing it via Android app from the day one.
aweedman, Android app working flawlessly! at my side. Actually i couldnt believe app and receiver connect each other how easily and very instant when i tried it to first time. And still works amazing.

My question is about speaker set up advice:
i have 7.1 speakers set up.
I read at some forums that the latest researches shows that front surround effect and amount of speakers more important then rear surround, and also 2 rear speakers is enough for the good envelope feeling. As you know, Audyssey (not talking about the way Audyssey measure the room) using this method for surround sound and we have similar approach with "Presence" speakers.
I would like to ask, should i use my 2 extra speakers as usual 7.1 speaker set up or use them as Presence speakers? I have a big room by the way. Will i get the benefit of HD sounds mix as 6.1-7.1 with Presence speakers?
Thanks in advance for your replies.
Cheers

BUMB!
Guys, any suggestion?
post #1346 of 2155 Old 05-28-2012, 04:08 PM

Thank you in advance if you can help me. I have an RX-V671 AVR, Samsung UN60ES7500F HDTV, DirecTV STB, and Harmony 1100 remote. I have the DirecTV input into HDMI2 of the AVR and the AVR input into HDMI2 of the HDTV so I can use ARC. ARC is turned on and functioning properly. The remote turns things on in this order: DirecTV then HDTV then AVR. Everything turns on just fine and the remote puts the AVR on HDMI2. Here is my problem.........after about 5-8 seconds the AVR switches over to AV4 input which is the default ARC input....it won't stay on HDMI2. I worked around this by setting the Harmony 1100 to delay 20 seconds and then send a signal to the AVR to turn to HDMI2 again...but do I really need to do this? I assume the HDTV is switching the AVR to AV4 but I don't know why or how to fix it? Can anyone help? I have tried rearranging the order in which things power on but to no avail. I apologize if this has already been covered in this thread....I looked but didn't really find anything similiar.
post #1347 of 2155 Old 05-28-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powergod View Post

Thank you in advance if you can help me. I have an RX-V671 AVR, Samsung UN60ES7500F HDTV, DirecTV STB, and Harmony 1100 remote. I have the DirecTV input into HDMI2 of the AVR and the AVR input into HDMI2 of the HDTV so I can use ARC. ARC is turned on and functioning properly. The remote turns things on in this order: DirecTV then HDTV then AVR. Everything turns on just fine and the remote puts the AVR on HDMI2. Here is my problem.........after about 5-8 seconds the AVR switches over to AV4 input which is the default ARC input....it won't stay on HDMI2. I worked around this by setting the Harmony 1100 to delay 20 seconds and then send a signal to the AVR to turn to HDMI2 again...but do I really need to do this? I assume the HDTV is switching the AVR to AV4 but I don't know why or how to fix it? Can anyone help? I have tried rearranging the order in which things power on but to no avail. I apologize if this has already been covered in this thread....I looked but didn't really find anything similiar.

I have the exact same issue with the same combination of components (except my 7000 is a 55"). I just posted this problem today in the Harmony One thread. Today I moved the input into the Samsung to HDMI 3 to bypass the ARC and still the same problem, after 7-8 seconds, the Yamaha switches from the HDMI with the Direct TV sound to AV4.

I'm also having a problem with the Yamaha when powering down with the Harmony. After everything shuts down, after a few seconds, the Yamaha powers itself up again, on it's own.

Groucho Marx
post #1348 of 2155 Old 05-29-2012, 09:55 AM

Hi,

I've connected with HDMI-HDMI cable my PC and Yamaha. HDMI ARC output from Yamaha to TV (ARC too). Why do I see part of Yamaha menu on lower part of picture? TV is Philips 42PFL7606H.

I've tried other inputs, but it's the same. PC resolution is 1080P@60Hz.

I cannot post url with picture since I'm new here..

Thanks!
post #1349 of 2155 Old 05-29-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powergod View Post

I turned off CEC on the Samsung 7000 and HDMI Control on the Yamaha, and it resolved all of these issues. No more switching to AV4.

Groucho Marx
post #1350 of 2155 Old 05-31-2012, 12:56 PM

Im after some advice. After spending hours searching the net, reading reviews i came across this audio reciever and decided it was "The one". Now i have a problem, i need to choose suitable speakers with a budget of £400 or £450 at a stretch (excluding sub, i can buy that later) just give me an option lol. Anyone have any decent suggestions? I would love to run 5.1 but being a 7.1 i doubt this is possible, but if i dont ask, i wont find out!
Thanks in advance,
Ben
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V671 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V671 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page