AVS Forum banner

The "official" Yamaha RX-V671 thread. 7.1-Channel Network AVR

540K views 2K replies 526 participants last post by  paulypaul 
#1 ·

Features

Front Panel USB Digital connection with iPod and iPhone Audio Control

A USB port on the front panel provides convenient connection for your iPod/iPhone, which also charges when connected. Because the digital signal from the iPod/iPhone is transmitted directly to the AV Receiver, noise interference is minimized and sound quality is much better.

Network Capability

This model offers networking capabilities and can serve as the hub of a home entertainment network that’s connected to the Internet. Its powerful networking capabilities provide enjoyment of thousands of free Internet radio stations worldwide and full access to free and paid music streaming services such as Pandora, vTuner, Rhapsody, SiriusXM Internet Radio and Napster. This model is also Windows 7 and DLNA 1.5 certified which allows access to music files on any computer or local NAS drive content available on the home network.

iPhone AV Controller App

Use in a Home Network for More Music, Easy Control: This AV Receiver can be the control center of a home entertainment network connected to the internet. You can use the AV Controller app for control from an iPhone, etc., and enjoy music streaming from Pandora, Napster, Rhapsody and Sirius Internet Radio.

Analog and HDMI Video Upscaling to Full HD 1080p

This model is capable of outstanding upscaling and i/p conversion quality, This AV Receiver will upscale video signals up to 1080p. This means a much better picture with HDTVs capable of 720p, 1080i or 1080p resolution.

This model also features extremely precise motion adaptive and edge adaptive deinterlacing and multi-cadence detection (including 3-2 pull-down).

Advanced On-Screen GUI

On-Screen Advanced GUI (Graphical User Interface) Yamaha’s latest Graphical User Interface has a high resolution display with clear, easy-to-use menus and also includes a selectable Status Bar that shows input source, volume level, DSP mode and audio format.

HDMI with 3D and Audio Return Channel

1080p HDMI with 3D and Audio Return Channel (6 In/ 1 Out), including one on Front Panel deliver crystal-clear, all-digital audio and video via a single cable, HDMI dramatically simplifies cabling and helps provide consumers with the highest-quality home theater experience. HDMI can provide an interface between most audio/video sources, such as a set-top box, Blu-ray player, DVD player, or A/V receiver and a video monitor, such as a High Definition Television (HDTV), over a single cable.

Audio Return Channel (ARC) is a distinctive 3D-ready function allows consumers to use a single HDMI connection to transfer digital audio from the TV back to the AV Receiver eliminating the need for a second cable between the TV and the home theater AV Receiver.

Front Panel HDMI Input

An HDMI terminal on the front panel makes it easy to connect a camcorder or digital camera. All of the HDMI terminals are compatible with 3D and CEC, making them convenient for connecting set-top boxes and Blu-ray disc players.

HD Audio with CINEMA DSP 3D

CINEMA DSP 3D provides a wide, high and dense sound field. HD Audio format decoding lets you enjoy HD Audio sources. Virtual Presence Speaker delivers 3-dimensional sound without actual use of presence speakers. The actually measured sound field data contain the information of the height of the sound images. CINEMA DSP 3D mode achieves the reproduction of the accurate height of the sound images so that it creates the accurate and intensive stereoscopic sound fields in a listening room.

SCENE for One-Touch Start

The Four SCENE buttons make operating the receiver easier than ever. They are initially set to default settings for BD/DVD Viewing, CD Disc Listening, TV Viewing and Radio Listening. Pressing a SCENE button will automatically launch a number of operations that initiate play of the source controlled by that button. Other SCENE settings are also available, such as iPod Listening, SiriusXM Listening [model dependent], TV Sports Viewing and Action Game Playing. Browsing and selecting the settings is quickly accomplished by changing Input via the front panel and watching the on-screen display. The settings can be selected for one-time use, or they can replace the original default settings. The SCENE names can be changed also.

YPAO Automatically Sets the Best Sound for Any Room

Yamaha’s YPAO system uses a small microphone and sophisticated equalization to automatically set the best sound for any room, no matter where the speakers are. First it checks the speaker connections and phase of each speaker. Then it sends out tones which are captured by the microphone to analyze the room acoustics and sets a variety of parameters, such as the speaker size, the distance of the speakers and even the sound pressure level, etc. Until it achieves the best sound conditions for your room and you don't have to do anything!

Compressed Music Enhancer

When music is encoded into a digitally compressed format like MP3, the frequency response suffers. This function restores what was lost, so your music always sounds the way it should.

Eco-Friendly Design

The RX-V671 has a low standby power consumption of 0.1W (2.0W in HDMI Standby Through mode) and an Auto Power Down feature (selectable to 4, 8 or 12 hours) which help make this an environmentally friendly receiver

Optional Accessories for Added Convenience

Yamaha Docks make it easy to enjoy your favorite music from your iPod or iPhone, with or without cables. With the YDS-12, all you have to do is set the unit in the cradle.

Universal Dock for iPod/iPhone YDS-12

yAired Wireless Dock System YID-W10

Bluetooth® Wireless Audio Receiver YBA-10

Advanced Features
  • SCENE buttons (BD/DVD, TV, CD and Radio)

- Quick and simple to use

- HDMI CEC powers up compatible TVs and Blu-ray Disc™ players
  • Network functions

- AV Controller app for operating various functions from an iPhone, etc.

- Access to: Internet Radio (vTuner): MP3, WMA Streaming Services (Rhapsody®, SIRIUS Internet Radio, Pandora®, Napster®) Music files on PC: WAV, MP3, WMA, AAC, FLAC

- DLNA 1.5 certified
  • Front panel USB Digital Connection for iPod and iPhone
  • Advanced multi-language GUI on-screen display with album art
  • SIRIUS Satellite Radio ready
  • HDMI front panel input for devices such as camcorders and digital cameras
  • HDMI CEC with versatile control from AV Receiver remote control
  • YPAO sound optimization for automatic speaker setup
  • Audio input assign capability for HDMI and component video input
  • Ability to change HDMI Input while in Standby Through mode
  • iPod/iPhone compatibility with optional YDS-12 Universal Dock
  • Wireless connection for iPod/iPhone with optional YID-W10
  • Bluetooth (A2DP) compatibility with optional Yamaha Bluetooth® Wireless Audio Receiver YBA-10
  • iPod/iPhone song titles displayed in English and Western European languages on the front panel and on-screen display
  • Dialogue Lift
  • Audio Delay for adjusting Lip-Sync (0-250ms)
  • Preset remote unit
  • Background video feature (for tuner and USB only)

Audio Features
  • 7-channel powerful surround sound, 125W per Channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.09 % THD, 2 ch driven)
  • HD Audio format decoding: Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio; Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD High Resolution Audio
  • Discrete amp configuration
  • Pure Direct for highest resolution sound
  • Low jitter PLL circuitry helps optimize sound imaging
  • Assignable amplifiers for bi-amp connection
  • Intelligent assignable amplifiers for Surround Back to Front Presence or Zone 2

Video Features
  • Analog and HDMI video upscaling to full HD 1080p
  • 1080p-compatible HDMI: 6 inputs (1 on front) and 1 output
  • Supports Deep Color (30/36 bit), x.v.Color, 24Hz Refresh Rate and Auto Lip-Sync compensation
  • High quality video processing with precise deinterlacing

- Motion adaptive and edge adaptive deinterlacing

- Multi-cadence (incl. 3-2 pull-down) detection
  • HDMI with 3D and Audio Return Channel

Surround Realism
  • HD Audio decoding with CINEMA DSP 3D (17 DSP programs)
  • Compressed Music Enhancer with CINEMA DSP
  • Virtual Presence Speaker function for CINEMA DSP 3D surround without Front Presence Speakers
  • Adaptive DRC (Dynamic Range Control) and Adaptive DSP Level
  • SILENT CINEMA and Virtual CINEMA DSP

Versatile Zone Control
  • Zone 2 on/off and control on front panel
  • Zone sleep and system sleep
  • Remote input/output
  • Programmable +12V trigger output

Released May 2011.

Note: The RX-V671 probably shares 90% commonality with a number of other 'mid range' Yamaha 2011 "national" and/or "market segment" variants, including, but not limited to: the RX-V771, RX-V871, RX-V867, RX-A710, RX-A810, HTR-6064, HTR-7064, and HTR-8064.

See less See more
Reactions: ChromeJob
#1,103 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin /forum/post/21749795

Hi Kytrell87, you're better off using an optical cable. Look at the Xbox 360 A/V Component Cable housing as there is an small square jack. Otherwise connect the audio cables (red & white) to AUDIO-1 or 2 (set audio input).

Thank you... the Audio is working.... NOW i cant see the Video.... i have the component RED, GREEN, BLUE plugged into AV2 ... any other ideas??? THanks

#1,104 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytrell87 /forum/post/21749825

Thank you... the Audio is working.... NOW i cant see the Video.... i have the component RED, GREEN, BLUE plugged into AV2 ... any other ideas??? THanks

Example: Connect the Xbox Component video cables (red,blue,green) to Component Video AV-2 and audio cables (red, white) to AUDIO-2. Then go into Input Menu -> AV-2 and assign Audio In menu to "AUDIO-2". Then on the remote select AV-2 as your input source.

#1,105 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin /forum/post/21749866

Example: Connect the Xbox Component video cables (red,blue,green) to Component Video AV-2 and audio cables (red, white) to AUDIO-2. Then go into Input Menu -> AV-2 and assign Audio In menu to "AUDIO-2". Then on the remote select AV-2 as your input source.

YES SIR... That's what I did.. I hear the audio, but no video is coming through... I HEAR everything... and SEE nothing

#1,106 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytrell87 /forum/post/21749874

YES SIR... That's what I did.. I hear the audio, but no video is coming through... I HEAR everything... and SEE nothing

Check the switch on the Xbox 360 A/V Component cable housing is set to HDTV. If still unable to get video, connect the Xbox 360 directly to tv and go into "Console Settings" set the display resolution to 1080i or 720p. Then reconnect back to receiver and test.

#1,107 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin /forum/post/21749908

Check the switch on the Xbox 360 A/V Component cable housing is set to HDTV. If still unable to get video, connect the Xbox 360 directly to tv and go into "Console Settings" set the display resolution to 1080i or 720p. Then reconnect back to receiver and test.

Thank you.... it was the input... It needed to be set to 1080i.... thank you...its working now

#1,108 ·
Proud new owner of a 671!! I have only powered it up once due to the following problem...

Here's my problem the Sammy BluRay player on top of my 671 blocks the vents, and I'm scared it will overheat. I can't move the bluRay to the XBOX shelf since it will force the xbox too high and it will overheat. Last but not least where the Kinect is my center channel will be so I can't raise that shelf. Any opinions or options that I'm missing? I have side shelves that I could put the xbox on vertically but I've heard bad things come from this?

#1,110 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnofx /forum/post/0

I'm scared it will overheat

It won't.

#1,112 ·
Ok guys one more question...and you'll have to forgive me this is my first HDMI AVR. Whenever the receiver is in standby for a while and I power it on it goes to TV and AV4. There's nothing connected to that input my cable should be coming from HDMI2 for everything including audio. Does this have something to do with the scene settings? Is there a way that I can have it where the receiver starts up on HDMI2 for everything?

#1,113 ·
I have to disagree. The vents are there for a reason and heat has to rise. My unit gets pretty hot if used at high volume for a while, I would not risk blocking the only way heat can escape. I would also be concerned about the effects of the heat on the blue ray player. Long term, hot is bad --cool is good.

#1,114 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon119 /forum/post/21763262

I have to disagree.

Normally I would agree with you but after about one year of operation at pant-flapping levels, my RX-V671 runs practically cold to the touch. If it was a Denon, mine would be different advice altogether!!

#1,115 ·
#1,117 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixone /forum/post/21765096

I don't see any difference between the two. I must be missing something.

If I had to guess, I'd say that SoundAdvice just "replicated" the specs for the RX-V671 onto the web pages for the RX-V673 and RX-V773.

#1,120 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon119 /forum/post/21769006

Interesting to hear that. If I run mine at around -5 or higher volume for a while it is quite hot. My previous rcvr. a rx-v1200 was the same way. Never had a problem, just like to keep air flowing around it. usually it will be music that does it. A movie is less demanding.

Yeah after careful thinking I thought better and moved the XBOX to a vertical position on a side shelf and moved the Bluray to the middle shelf. I figure a new xbox should launch in 2013 so if this thing makes it a year and a half then I'm golden cause my Yammy has to last a lot longer!

#1,121 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnofx /forum/post/21761078

Ok guys one more question...and you'll have to forgive me this is my first HDMI AVR. Whenever the receiver is in standby for a while and I power it on it goes to TV and AV4. There's nothing connected to that input my cable should be coming from HDMI2 for everything including audio. Does this have something to do with the scene settings? Is there a way that I can have it where the receiver starts up on HDMI2 for everything?

Does anyone know how to fix this?

#1,123 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDEaston /forum/post/21766149

Not much info on the x73 models yet, but I do know that the entire model line will offer 4k pass through, with the 673 and 773 offering 4k scaling.

The RX-V373 is now visible on the Yamaha US website (but NOT a corresponding "near identical" HTR-3065 model). One 'rumored announcement date' for the RX-373|473|573|673|773 model range is March 26 . . . so I guess we'll just have to wait for more details...?!

#1,124 ·
given the specs of the RX-V373 I would guess that the new feature is 4K pass through and a so called eco mode. The 373 specs look identical to the previous model the 371 100W 1ch 1Khz although the 2 channel figure is bumped up slightly from 80w to 85w (does not compute)

I would expect the rest of their line to follow suit.

#1,125 ·
Just registered to offer some info on a resolution to a problem I had with net radio on the rx-v671, just in case someone at a later date has the same/similar problem and searches the web for information.

Problem:

net radio would drop the network connection at varying intervals - sometimes as short as 18 seconds or as long as 18 minutes and anywhere in between. All other network usage (connect to pc) worked as expected.

Other kit with internet radio facilities (non-Yamaha), also connected to the local network, had no such problems.

An email to tech support, who were very helpful, suggested that even though other kit worked ok, it may still be a problem with either the router or my service provider, as on their test network everything was ok.

Route to the resolution:

Disconnected local router and made a direct network connection to the rx-v671 - connected fine with no dropped connections. Changed out local router for another one and reconnected everything back and still had dropouts. Back to the drawing board!

Final resolution:

Further testing pinpointed the problem to an old router that I was using as a local network switch, even though the rx_v671 wasn't connected via this device. Replaced this with a 'proper' network switch and all has been fine since - solid connections to net radio.

I'd searched the web for possible answers with no joy, so hopefully this info will be of help others should they experience similar problems.

#1,126 ·
Had a bunch of my daughters friends over watching a movie. Someone got into a remote control button pushing frenzy and I wound up with a non-functioning receiver. I had a from panel message "ROM ERROR". Could not do anything with the unit. Unplugged it, no change when plugged back in. Had to take it to a repair facility where they replaced a board. Back home and working fine. Upon further questioning, I learned that it was doing something they didn't want it to do and someone turned off the power. It was non-functioning when it was turned back on. Button pushers beware....

#1,127 ·
Can someone suggest proper decoder settings for my V671? I'll explain my confusion.

Previously, I had my sources' (xbox 360, PS3, and ATT U-Verse) video connected to my TV via HDMI, and their audio connected to my Marantz receiver via optical.

Now that I've upgraded to a V671, I have my sources connected to my V671 via HDMI, with my receiver connected to my TV. I have 7.1 speakers connected.

Previously, I had the Marantz set to PLIIx Movie as my decode setting for all material. It seemed to work as the best 'catch-all' for content.

Unfortunately, I'm not quite sure as to the bit streams the V671 is able to handle, so I don't know what decoder to use on the V671, or what sound settings I should have on my PS3 or Xbox 360 anymore. (I used to know for my Marantz).

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.