post #1 of 2150 Old 04-06-2011, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13

Features

Front Panel USB Digital connection with iPod and iPhone Audio Control

A USB port on the front panel provides convenient connection for your iPod/iPhone, which also charges when connected. Because the digital signal from the iPod/iPhone is transmitted directly to the AV Receiver, noise interference is minimized and sound quality is much better.

Network Capability

This model offers networking capabilities and can serve as the hub of a home entertainment network that’s connected to the Internet. Its powerful networking capabilities provide enjoyment of thousands of free Internet radio stations worldwide and full access to free and paid music streaming services such as Pandora, vTuner, Rhapsody, SiriusXM Internet Radio and Napster. This model is also Windows 7 and DLNA 1.5 certified which allows access to music files on any computer or local NAS drive content available on the home network.

iPhone AV Controller App

Use in a Home Network for More Music, Easy Control: This AV Receiver can be the control center of a home entertainment network connected to the internet. You can use the AV Controller app for control from an iPhone, etc., and enjoy music streaming from Pandora, Napster, Rhapsody and Sirius Internet Radio.

Analog and HDMI Video Upscaling to Full HD 1080p

This model is capable of outstanding upscaling and i/p conversion quality, This AV Receiver will upscale video signals up to 1080p. This means a much better picture with HDTVs capable of 720p, 1080i or 1080p resolution.
This model also features extremely precise motion adaptive and edge adaptive deinterlacing and multi-cadence detection (including 3-2 pull-down).

Advanced On-Screen GUI

On-Screen Advanced GUI (Graphical User Interface) Yamaha’s latest Graphical User Interface has a high resolution display with clear, easy-to-use menus and also includes a selectable Status Bar that shows input source, volume level, DSP mode and audio format.

HDMI with 3D and Audio Return Channel

1080p HDMI with 3D and Audio Return Channel (6 In/ 1 Out), including one on Front Panel deliver crystal-clear, all-digital audio and video via a single cable, HDMI dramatically simplifies cabling and helps provide consumers with the highest-quality home theater experience. HDMI can provide an interface between most audio/video sources, such as a set-top box, Blu-ray player, DVD player, or A/V receiver and a video monitor, such as a High Definition Television (HDTV), over a single cable.
Audio Return Channel (ARC) is a distinctive 3D-ready function allows consumers to use a single HDMI connection to transfer digital audio from the TV back to the AV Receiver eliminating the need for a second cable between the TV and the home theater AV Receiver.

Front Panel HDMI Input

An HDMI terminal on the front panel makes it easy to connect a camcorder or digital camera. All of the HDMI terminals are compatible with 3D and CEC, making them convenient for connecting set-top boxes and Blu-ray disc players.

HD Audio with CINEMA DSP 3D

CINEMA DSP 3D provides a wide, high and dense sound field. HD Audio format decoding lets you enjoy HD Audio sources. Virtual Presence Speaker delivers 3-dimensional sound without actual use of presence speakers. The actually measured sound field data contain the information of the height of the sound images. CINEMA DSP 3D mode achieves the reproduction of the accurate height of the sound images so that it creates the accurate and intensive stereoscopic sound fields in a listening room.

SCENE for One-Touch Start

The Four SCENE buttons make operating the receiver easier than ever. They are initially set to default settings for BD/DVD Viewing, CD Disc Listening, TV Viewing and Radio Listening. Pressing a SCENE button will automatically launch a number of operations that initiate play of the source controlled by that button. Other SCENE settings are also available, such as iPod Listening, SiriusXM Listening [model dependent], TV Sports Viewing and Action Game Playing. Browsing and selecting the settings is quickly accomplished by changing Input via the front panel and watching the on-screen display. The settings can be selected for one-time use, or they can replace the original default settings. The SCENE names can be changed also.

YPAO Automatically Sets the Best Sound for Any Room

Yamaha’s YPAO system uses a small microphone and sophisticated equalization to automatically set the best sound for any room, no matter where the speakers are. First it checks the speaker connections and phase of each speaker. Then it sends out tones which are captured by the microphone to analyze the room acoustics and sets a variety of parameters, such as the speaker size, the distance of the speakers and even the sound pressure level, etc. Until it achieves the best sound conditions for your room and you don't have to do anything!

Compressed Music Enhancer

When music is encoded into a digitally compressed format like MP3, the frequency response suffers. This function restores what was lost, so your music always sounds the way it should.

Eco-Friendly Design

The RX-V671 has a low standby power consumption of 0.1W (2.0W in HDMI Standby Through mode) and an Auto Power Down feature (selectable to 4, 8 or 12 hours) which help make this an environmentally friendly receiver

Optional Accessories for Added Convenience

Yamaha Docks make it easy to enjoy your favorite music from your iPod or iPhone, with or without cables. With the YDS-12, all you have to do is set the unit in the cradle.
Universal Dock for iPod/iPhone YDS-12
yAired Wireless Dock System YID-W10
Bluetooth® Wireless Audio Receiver YBA-10

Advanced Features

• SCENE buttons (BD/DVD, TV, CD and Radio)
    - Quick and simple to use
    - HDMI CEC powers up compatible TVs and Blu-ray Disc™ players
  • Network functions
    - AV Controller app for operating various functions from an iPhone, etc.
    - Access to: Internet Radio (vTuner): MP3, WMA Streaming Services (Rhapsody®, SIRIUS Internet Radio, Pandora®, Napster®) Music files on PC: WAV, MP3, WMA, AAC, FLAC
    - DLNA 1.5 certified
  • Front panel USB Digital Connection for iPod and iPhone
  • Advanced multi-language GUI on-screen display with album art
  • SIRIUS Satellite Radio ready
  • HDMI front panel input for devices such as camcorders and digital cameras
  • HDMI CEC with versatile control from AV Receiver remote control
  • YPAO sound optimization for automatic speaker setup
  • Audio input assign capability for HDMI and component video input
  • Ability to change HDMI Input while in Standby Through mode
  • iPod/iPhone compatibility with optional YDS-12 Universal Dock
  • Wireless connection for iPod/iPhone with optional YID-W10
  • Bluetooth (A2DP) compatibility with optional Yamaha Bluetooth® Wireless Audio Receiver YBA-10
  • iPod/iPhone song titles displayed in English and Western European languages on the front panel and on-screen display
  • Dialogue Lift
  • Audio Delay for adjusting Lip-Sync (0-250ms)
  • Preset remote unit
  • Background video feature (for tuner and USB only)

Audio Features

• 7-channel powerful surround sound, 125W per Channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.09 % THD, 2 ch driven)
  • HD Audio format decoding: Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio; Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD High Resolution Audio
  • Discrete amp configuration
  • Pure Direct for highest resolution sound
  • Low jitter PLL circuitry helps optimize sound imaging
  • Assignable amplifiers for bi-amp connection
  • Intelligent assignable amplifiers for Surround Back to Front Presence or Zone 2

Video Features

• Analog and HDMI video upscaling to full HD 1080p
  • 1080p-compatible HDMI: 6 inputs (1 on front) and 1 output
  • Supports Deep Color (30/36 bit), x.v.Color, 24Hz Refresh Rate and Auto Lip-Sync compensation
  • High quality video processing with precise deinterlacing
    - Motion adaptive and edge adaptive deinterlacing
    - Multi-cadence (incl. 3-2 pull-down) detection
  • HDMI with 3D and Audio Return Channel

Surround Realism

• HD Audio decoding with CINEMA DSP 3D (17 DSP programs)
  • Compressed Music Enhancer with CINEMA DSP
  • Virtual Presence Speaker function for CINEMA DSP 3D surround without Front Presence Speakers
  • Adaptive DRC (Dynamic Range Control) and Adaptive DSP Level
  • SILENT CINEMA and Virtual CINEMA DSP

Versatile Zone Control

• Zone 2 on/off and control on front panel
  • Zone sleep and system sleep
  • Remote input/output
  • Programmable +12V trigger output

Released May 2011.

Note: The RX-V671 probably shares 90% commonality with a number of other 'mid range' Yamaha 2011 "national" and/or "market segment" variants, including, but not limited to: the RX-V771, RX-V871, RX-V867, RX-A710, RX-A810, HTR-6064, HTR-7064, and HTR-8064.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
" - MLK

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2150 Old 04-06-2011, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Reserved.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
" - MLK

post #3 of 2150 Old 04-06-2011, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have spoken to one of the suppliers that offered pre-order deals to AVS members in the past and they are working on numbers for a possible similar offer on this unit.

" - MLK

post #4 of 2150 Old 04-07-2011, 01:51 PM

Liked: 10
And.. I just bought my rx-v667. Although it is a shame they dropped the pre outs on this series, but the networking and iphone controls are a nice plus.
post #5 of 2150 Old 05-06-2011, 01:45 PM

Where are people pre-ordering the RX-V671 from? Is there an official release date yet? I'm beyond frustrated with my Pioneer 1021 and think this might be the front-runner to replace it. The iPad app and Airplay are neat, but the thing won't do HDMI stand-by pass through and I've been troubleshooting it for a week. Any initial thoughts on the difference between the 671 and the 1021?
post #6 of 2150 Old 05-06-2011, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu View Post

The "official" Yamaha RX-V671 thread. 7.1-Channel Network AVR

cavu:

The RX-V671 probably shares 90% commonality with a number of other 'mid range' Yamaha 2011 "national" and/or "market segment" variants, including, but not limited to: the RX-V771, RX-V871, RX-A710, RX-A810, HTR-6064, HTR-7064, and HTR-8064.

To avoid other posters starting a proliferation of pointless-and-competing "official" threads that reference only a (specific) one of these other models, you might consider at least listing them in the Starter Post...?!

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #7 of 2150 Old 05-13-2011, 05:59 AM

I would think the 671 is more like the 867 due to the networking.
When I get home I will send the list of differences I received from Yamaha tech Support.

As far as preordering:

Crutchfield
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RXV6...jn&subid=29493

Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V671...5291667&sr=8-1

JD
post #8 of 2150 Old 05-17-2011, 12:13 PM

I have a 671 on order as my first AVR. I was attracted by the networking and Zone 2, both of which tie in to my long-standing focus on centralized and integrated control of all of my components.

I plan a 5.1 speaker setup with separate zone 2. But I have just been reading up on the "presence" speaker capability, which I had overlooked. And my new room will have the option for perfect positioning of small presence speakers - if I could use them.

However, I really do want Zone 2 speakers (though not playing concurrently with the 5.1), and my understanding is that I can't have both presence and Zone 2 connected, as they both use the "extra" terminals. Is this right? Or is there an option I have missed to wire the presence speakers onto the Rear LR posts, but to output the presence channels rather than rear channels?

Thanks (first post here)

Brian
post #9 of 2150 Old 05-18-2011, 11:08 AM

I've been seriously considering the 667, but if I go that route I would probably pay the little extra for an 867 for a little over five bills. Or I could pay three and a half bills for a Pioneer Elite vsx-31. Denon AVR-1912 at just over 4 bills, or wait for the 671 at just over 5 bills still.

I am mostly interested in a great 7.1 movie experience with great surround sound and great video processing, or at least no hampering of either by pass throughs.

As far as hooking any of these up I should use HDMI and then optical for sound in addtiona as optimal, correct?
post #10 of 2150 Old 05-18-2011, 01:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by barty88 View Post

I've been seriously considering the 667, but if I go that route I would probably pay the little extra for an 867 for a little over five bills. Or I could pay three and a half bills for a Pioneer Elite vsx-31. Denon AVR-1912 at just over 4 bills, or wait for the 671 at just over 5 bills still.

I am mostly interested in a great 7.1 movie experience with great surround sound and great video processing, or at least no hampering of either by pass throughs.

As far as hooking any of these up I should use HDMI and then optical for sound in addtiona as optimal, correct?

Depends on what you are hooking up. Usual method is HDMI when you have it. If not then component/video optical. For audio only devices with optical, I would use optical unless you have some special CD/DVD player with analog output that you think is better.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #11 of 2150 Old 05-18-2011, 05:37 PM

I am hooking up a 3D blu ray player, my Directv (or TW cable) box, and eventually a projector to a 7.1 system. Are all I need are HDMIs for the best blu ray player sound? Or will HDMI coupled with an optic monster THX be better?

Also, will any very good rca cable work to send signals to the subwoofer, or do I have to have a special one?

Any votes between getting the Yamaha rx-v867 or for a hundred less the Pioneer Elite vsx-31?
post #12 of 2150 Old 05-18-2011, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barty88 View Post

Are all I need are HDMIs for the best blu ray player sound?

Yes.
Quote:

Or will HDMI coupled with an optic monster THX be better?

There are two things wrong with this:
  1. HDMI supports hi-def audio; optical does not!
  2. Nothing "Monster" is better than anything else!
Quote:

will any very good rca cable work to send signals to the subwoofer

Yes.

" - MLK

post #13 of 2150 Old 05-22-2011, 08:50 PM

Wandering around Best Buy today, my husband and I found the 671 boxed on a lower shelf, no price or info posted. Even salesperson had to look up price. Walked out with one.
Straightforward setup so far. Network control options very cool, from PC to iPod to any web browser. Nice, fast responsive controls. Listening to FLAC files on HD thru front USB! We'll post more soon...
post #14 of 2150 Old 05-24-2011, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

I've always had Yamaha's, but no Pre-Outs No Thanks.
post #15 of 2150 Old 05-26-2011, 06:06 AM

It is still not clear which would be the better buy. I host all of my MP3 and other AV media on a server which either the RX-V671 or RX-V867 could play, but other than the USB port on the front, which would be the better buy?

The price for the RX-V867 has dipped below $500 shipped from Amazon. Plus, the RX-V867 is more future-proof than the RX-V671. I made the mistake of buying a Pioneer Elite VSX-79 back in the '90s. It had surround sound and plenty of power with head room... but no discrete inputs. I will never do that again. I agree with SgtVideo - no pre-outs, no thanks. Also, no pre-ins, no thanks.

I guess I answered my own question - which is the better buy for me right now and that is the RX-V867. One year older, but more capable and more suitable at the current, discounted price.

Tom Edwards
Huntsville, AL
post #16 of 2150 Old 05-26-2011, 08:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I like my 867.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #17 of 2150 Old 05-26-2011, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I really like the Yamaha receivers since the 667, but wish Yamaha would implement a better low-level listening mode. Having compared the Adaptive DRC to Dolby Volume and Audyssey, it doesn't come close IMO.
post #18 of 2150 Old 05-26-2011, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The *67 series isn't as good as the *63 series that preceded it. The *71 series returns to the original quality. IMHO.

" - MLK

post #19 of 2150 Old 05-26-2011, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Yeah, I was pretty disappointed by the *65 series. Did they make a nicer volume overlay with the 671? I could never understand why everything looked so pretty on the 667 and they skimped on this overlay.
post #20 of 2150 Old 05-26-2011, 09:00 PM

Looking to buy my first reciever. Heard the 667 only allowed analog inputs for the second channel. Is that fixed now with the 671. Im setting up outdoor speakers to watch tv on the deck. Got the tv on a tripple arm that swings in front of the patio door.
post #21 of 2150 Old 05-28-2011, 08:32 PM

I have been reading a lot about the USB connector being Ipod ready and what not. Would it hook up to my Droid?

Also, can anyone explain to me how the internet hookup works on these? I know you plug the ethernet cable into the AVR but does the display screen let you go to the internet radio sites?
post #22 of 2150 Old 05-29-2011, 08:15 AM

I tried plugging in my Droid, and it couldn't seem to access it. It might be that my music files are buried too many directories deep. That was a problem with my car stereo as well.

The Internet radio has a ... browser of sorts. It lets you select a region, country, state, etc and has a list of stations which can also be sorted by genre. I'm not seeing an option to add your own station.

Now, I actually have a question of my own.... when playing music off my ipod, the vlume seems comfortable at around -35, but I loaded a movie on Netflix on my PS3, and I had to crank it up to -10 to be listenable, even games on my PS3 needed to be at around -15 or -20. By the volume mete that shows on my TV, this seems be about 2/3 or 4/5 of the max, just to make it listenable, I'm used to older receiver units where loud was maybe turned up 1/3 o the way, or my old Pioneer where the "quiet" movies had to be up to like -30, and most things were good at -45 or even -50. Am I configuring something wrong to have to turn stuff up so high to have a decent volume?
post #23 of 2150 Old 05-30-2011, 06:16 PM

RX-V671 is avaiable now, has any one order one yet ?
post #24 of 2150 Old 05-30-2011, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It appears that every Best Buy got ONE unit.

" - MLK

post #25 of 2150 Old 05-30-2011, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtVideo View Post

I've always had Yamaha's, but no Pre-Outs No Thanks.

Then it appears you must wait for a US release of the RX-V771, RX-V871, RX-A710, RX-A810, HTR-7064, or HTR-8064.

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #26 of 2150 Old 05-31-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu View Post

It appears that every Best Buy got ONE unit.

Best Buy closest to us had two 671s, and another BB in the area (Pittsburgh) had several stacked overhead. We've been fiddling with ours for a week now, will post review soon.
post #27 of 2150 Old 05-31-2011, 01:45 PM

My local Best Buy had a few as well. Still trying to work out the volume problems. I've gotten it a little more in check now, but it still seems to me I'm having to turn certain things up way too high just to be listenable.
post #28 of 2150 Old 06-02-2011, 10:02 AM

The local Pacific Sales appliance chain has/had them in stock at a favorable price. Pick one up to replace my non-3D capable Denon 1909.

I chose the Yamaha 671 over the Denon 1912 because of the ability to "tune" Sirius XM Internet. Build quality is excellent, seems to be equivalent to the Denon. I like the on-screen GUI, very refreshing after the Denon. Way cool how the set immediately recognized my multiple NAS units. I especially like the way the scene buttons will turn on the set.

What I do not like is the unusual power button IR code - my cable remote (Cisco box from TW cable) will not turn the set on - off is no problem. I guess I will have to get a JP1 cable. I have noticed the volume issue mentioned above - not sure if it is a problem or not yet.
post #29 of 2150 Old 06-03-2011, 04:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpedwards View Post

Plus, the RX-V867 is more future-proof than the RX-V671.

More future-proof in what way? The 671's firmware can be upgraded.
post #30 of 2150 Old 06-03-2011, 10:26 PM

Now it has stopped recognizing my ipod is hooked up to it. I"m just using USB. It still charges the device, and it recognizes other USB storage, but it will not connect with the ipod. Both devices have been rebooted. I'm not sure what to do.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V671 Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page