post #31 of 46 Old 08-31-2011, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

As usual I suggest getting the 671 for the step up in power. And you get network audio with Pandora as icing on the cake. If you don't care about network audio, scoop up an RX-V667 while they last which has pre outs, which the 671 lacks.
I was thinking either 471, or 571 (probably the latter for analog to hdmi conversion - so I could still use my old vcr on occasion without having to switch inputs on the TV)

But your statement really interests me. I can get leftover 667 for about the same as 571. I don't need internet radio. Is there nothing else I give up? One of the key features for me is power off forwarding of hdmi - My wife watches alot of TV and likes to use just TV speakers - this is much easier if whe does not have to switch TV inputs, or, mess with the receiver. Deos the 667 do that? I'd like to have more power than 571, pre-outs (both just in case).

edit: darn, it appears the 667 does not have front panel usb input (for ipods etc)

Everything I say here is my opinion. It is not my employers opinion, it is not my wife's opinion, it is not my neighbors opinion, it is My Opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 Old 09-14-2011, 08:03 AM

Liked: 10
Just had my client pick up a 471 from BB and the channel changing via HDMI is (IMO) super slow....from the time u hit the button to change the channel, it is 5secs till u see the pic....is this normal? Would a step up to 571 or 671 make a big difference? Processing superior? The have a "Pace" DVR (RNG150n) and Samsung 8000 LED 3D TV

any help thx

Scott
post #33 of 46 Old 09-14-2011, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by theruckman View Post

Just had my client pick up a 471 from BB and the channel changing via HDMI is (IMO) super slow....from the time u hit the button to change the channel, it is 5secs till u see the pic....is this normal? Would a step up to 571 or 671 make a big difference? Processing superior? The have a "Pace" DVR (RNG150n) and Samsung 8000 LED 3D TV

A long delay usually means there was a change in video format and a resulting HDMI handshake. e.g. You would expect to see that when changing from an SD to an HD channel (or from 720p to 1080i) *if* the DVR is set to output each channel at its native resolution.

If the DVR is set to convert everything to the same resolution (e.g. 1080i) there shouldn't be an abnormal delay changing channels, because now the AVR and TV always see the same video format.
post #34 of 46 Old 12-14-2011, 06:21 PM
BWX

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Got a RX-V371 for my mom's home theater. Using 5.1 setup. Anyone know why 'STRAIGHT' mode would be ''stuck'' on when viewing 5.1 DD channels from a DVR connected via optical cable?

It wasn't stuck in that mode at first, I could change between DPL II Movie, Music, DTS modes etc. After going through various setup menus, I noticed that all of the sudden I could no longer change out of straight mode on certain channels. I can use all the DSP modes, and stereo, and enhanced stereo, but not the Dolby, etc. If I switch to a 2 channel stereo TV channel, I'm able to use the Dolby and DTS modes again- very strange!

I think I may have changed something in the setup options having to do with the DSP modes but changed it back to default.

I haven't dug deep into manual yet or resorted to customer support. Just hooked it up yesterday. I've owned a Yamaha RX-V661BL for many years so I'm very familiar w/ Yamaha receiver setup amd options, controls menus, etc. Very odd issue though.

Other than above issue, I'm very happy with the sound and features of this entry level AVR- it's a lot of receiver for the $$.

Samsung SMT-H3272 - Nav. v7.0.9.2
SA 8300HD (no C) *AZiO ENC311SU41* eSATA- WD black- 1TB - it works!-
-8300HD no more because TWC deliberately made it unusable in my area! :-/ :-(
post #35 of 46 Old 12-14-2011, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 154
DPL II transforms two channel sources into 5.1 surround sound. Hence when you play a source that's already 5.1 it can't be used, so the SUR. DECODE button on the remote is not going to do anything for 5.1 input. But you should still be able to select a sound field program with the MOVIE button (although STRAIGHT is probably best for 5.1 sources anyway).
post #36 of 46 Old 02-06-2012, 11:48 AM

I just got a 371 and I'm trying to figure out what the best mode is to use. My input sources are a DirecTV HR24, a Sony blu-ray player, and an XBox, all via HDMI. I would think that straight would make the most sense, but then I don't seem to get surround sound, even with 5.1 input sources. I need to use surround decode to get surround sound. And within the surround decode options, what is the best one to use?
post #37 of 46 Old 02-06-2012, 01:58 PM
BWX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

DPL II transforms two channel sources into 5.1 surround sound. Hence when you play a source that's already 5.1 it can't be used, so the SUR. DECODE button on the remote is not going to do anything for 5.1 input. But you should still be able to select a sound field program with the MOVIE button (although STRAIGHT is probably best for 5.1 sources anyway).

I can use DPL II Movie mode on my other Yamaha RX-V661 receiver when a 5.1 signal is used though. It's to merge the right and left surround into right surround/right surround rear and left surround/ left surround rear. It does this on all 5.1 channel inputs.

The thing is, it's not limited to 'STRAIGHT' on my RX-V661. I can't use ANY Dolby mode or DTS mode on the RX-V371when there's a 5.1 input from DVR. I think it's the input bit-rate limitation I read about in the manual. Higher bit-rate inputs are limited to 'STRAIGHT' mode on this budget AVR. It sounds great though, not worried about it.

And yeah I can use Yamaha sound field programs, just not Dolby or DTS when viewing channels that output in 5.1. It is already decoded in Dolby in the DVR though, but that's besides the point because as I said my other AVR isn't limited in that way.

post #38 of 46 Old 02-06-2012, 02:01 PM
BWX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbronstein View Post

I just got a 371 and I'm trying to figure out what the best mode is to use. My input sources are a DirecTV HR24, a Sony blu-ray player, and an XBox, all via HDMI. I would think that straight would make the most sense, but then I don't seem to get surround sound, even with 5.1 input sources. I need to use surround decode to get surround sound. And within the surround decode options, what is the best one to use?

Check your speaker configuration on the 371 AND all your devices.

post #39 of 46 Old 02-06-2012, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Where have the x71 models gone? The 671 in particular is not showing up at Newegg. Are the 2012 models coming early? They have them at BB and Amazon, but not at a great price.
post #40 of 46 Old 02-07-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWX View Post

Check your speaker configuration on the 371 AND all your devices.

What should the speaker configuration be on the receiver? And my devices don't have speaker configuration options. Do you mean the output settings?
post #41 of 46 Old 02-07-2012, 12:37 PM
BWX

Quote:

What should the speaker configuration be on the receiver? And my devices don't have speaker configuration options. Do you mean the output settings?

Well I meant just make sure you have the left and right surround speakers turned on in the AVR speaker setup options. I'm not sure how much you know about these things. You said they weren't working right? No sound from surround speakers?

Yeay my PS3 has output setting.. like stereo, 5.1, 7.1, etc. Doesn't the X-Box? My DVR does too, doesn't yours? That's what I was talking about.

I just set up same AVR for my mom's home theater, I think be default, surround speakers were not enabled.

Did you do the test tone? Did you hear sound from surround speakers ever? That's what I'm trying to narrow down.

edit.. when in ''straight'' mode from my DVR, on a 5.1 TV station, I get sound out of surround speakers, but only when there's something coming through the speakers. Foe example on Fox News there usually isn't, but during commercials there is.

post #42 of 46 Old 02-08-2012, 09:51 AM

The speakers all are turned on and working - I get sound out of them when I use surround decode mode, and the test tone works fine. I don't get sound from them when I use straight mode. For example, I was watching a PPV movie on my DVR that said it was 5.1 and I was only getting sound out of the left and right speakers in straight mode.
post #43 of 46 Old 02-08-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 85
French website cinenow.fr claims 'Yamaha reveals information about the future RX-Vx73 range, due out late March 2012'. [Per that website:] Initially composed of the RX-V373, RX-V473, RX-V573, RX-V673 and RX-V773, the 2012 models will all support 4K2K pass thru, with the RX-V673 and RX-V773 also delivering 4K upscaling.

[Given the tenuous nature of this 'news', I suspect we should treat the specifics with some skepticism...?! ]

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #44 of 46 Old 02-08-2012, 08:57 PM
BWX

Quote:

The speakers all are turned on and working - I get sound out of them when I use surround decode mode, and the test tone works fine. I don't get sound from them when I use straight mode. For example, I was watching a PPV movie on my DVR that said it was 5.1 and I was only getting sound out of the left and right speakers in straight mode.

Hmm. In same situation I get all speakers working. I'd explore DVR settings and AVR settings.

Are you using HDMI to connect DVR to AVR?

post #45 of 46 Old 02-09-2012, 12:08 PM

I played with it some more. The DVR had dolby digital turned off, so I turned that on and it's working fine now. I tried a different disc in the blu-ray player and that is working fine as well. the xbox seems to be set up correctly, but it's hard to tell what it's putting out since I don't use it for streaming movies or anything.

Thanks for the help!
post #46 of 46 Old 02-09-2012, 12:46 PM
BWX

No problem! I thought it sounded like a settings problem, it's usually buried 8 layers deep too.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V571bl Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page