Onkyo TX-NR708 Remote Control Failure - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 51 Old 07-15-2011, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I live in Orange County, CA. How do I get my receiver fixed? Is there a solution to this seemingly well-documented problem? I don't want to go through the hassle of sending the receiver off to the East coast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 Old 07-21-2011, 07:49 AM

Count me in to the receiver is not getting the signal from the remote that is still functioning.
post #33 of 51 Old 07-24-2011, 06:07 AM

Wow, this is not a thread I wanted to find. My TX-NR708 is no longer responding to the remote either. Came home this morning after being out all night and I got this to deal with... $#@$#@. I guess I'll try a hard reset but it sounds like I'm screwed.

I have an Android phone at least, so I have an app called "Onkytroller" to control it over my WiFi. It does a lot (change sources, navigate most menus, volume control). I hear Apple devices have an Onkyo supported app, but I don't know if it goes over WiFi or if it uses IR.

I guess I'm going to have to submit a warranty claim and spend a fortune sending this back. I only got the thing in January. I guess I'd just buy a new one but I just dropped money on an amp and some Polk RTi12's. I guess it's all pissed off that it's internal amp wasn't enough for me.
post #34 of 51 Old 07-24-2011, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseract View Post

Wow, this is not a thread I wanted to find. My TX-NR708 is no longer responding to the remote either. Came home this morning after being out all night and I got this to deal with... $#@$#@. I guess I'll try a hard reset but it sounds like I'm screwed.

I have an Android phone at least, so I have an app called "Onkytroller" to control it over my WiFi. It does a lot (change sources, navigate most menus, volume control). I hear Apple devices have an Onkyo supported app, but I don't know if it goes over WiFi or if it uses IR.

I guess I'm going to have to submit a warranty claim and spend a fortune sending this back. I only got the thing in January. I guess I'd just buy a new one but I just dropped money on an amp and some Polk RTi12's. I guess it's all pissed off that it's internal amp wasn't enough for me.

Have you and others in this thread not been following the many pages of the Onkyo failure thread? It's not a remote failure. Far worse than that. Good luck, now you get to deal with their pathetic CS. Depending on where it was purchased you may be able to exchange it. Sorry.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1339186
post #35 of 51 Old 07-24-2011, 11:49 AM

Thanks Phantom for being the "harbinger of news worse than the reality"...

In that failure thread(that he links...the one thing Phantom did do right) there is a 800# set-up for this very problem.

If any of you know anybody that is "tech savvy", you can attempt to fix it on your own time. From what I've heard...fixing it yourself(if you can correctly) costs less than shipping it off to get fixed.

Here is the official Onkyo press release...
http://onkyousa.com/press_releases.cfm?id=215
post #36 of 51 Old 07-24-2011, 05:13 PM

Yeah, I saw thread after seeing red for a while. I'm seriously considering buying a replacement, sending the defective one in, then selling it on Craigslist afterward... sheesh.
post #37 of 51 Old 07-24-2011, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 View Post
Thanks Phantom for being the "harbinger of news worse than the reality"...

In that failure thread(that he links...the one thing Phantom did do right) there is a 800# set-up for this very problem.

If any of you know anybody that is "tech savvy", you can attempt to fix it on your own time. From what I've heard...fixing it yourself(if you can correctly) costs less than shipping it off to get fixed.

Here is the official Onkyo press release...
http://onkyousa.com/press_releases.cfm?id=215
Yeah, I like the reference "harbinger of news worse than the reality"...

And you chase many others like me who tell the truth about the garbage that Onkyo is making at this time. To you it seems that all that Onkyo needs to do is put a band-aid on their problems and hope they go away. All they have to do is issue a press release and that is good enough for you. What about all the people who have no idea about that release? Just a very few of the numbers of owners come to a forum like this to get information. I doubt that Onkyo went through the trouble to notify all owners of their faulty products. They didn't go through the trouble pulling them off the shelves even after admitting there is a problem with the X08/X008 series. You are the one that has a problem with reality, face it, and move on. Quit sticking up for Onkyo and advising members to buy this garbage. Call it like it is. Why is that so hard?
post #38 of 51 Old 07-27-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topseeded View Post
Receiver Reset Solution Lasted 1 day. The good news. So far that's the only problem I have. I'm hoping my receiver doesn't have the other problems I've been reading about on this thread. I'm going to call ONKYO customer support again just so they have a record of the problem. I do not want to send the receiver in for repair. Before I do that I will buy another receiver from a brand with a better reputation and sell the ONKYO if it's ever fixed.
I'm going to report future information on the "The "OFFICIAL" Onkyo RC270, NR708,NR808, NR1008, NR5008, Integra 80.2 Failure Thread". For now I had given my unit to the Fry's repair department and it was returned saying the problem was the remote was incorrectly set to 'Zone 2'. Being the remote was reset to factory setting a couple of times without resolving the problem, that obviously wasn't the resolution, so I had it returned to the repair department. I since found the thread that showed the press release from Onkyo about the problem. I notified Fry's. They said the repair people should know about that. Being they didn't the first time, I have my doubts they will the second time. They send their repairs out to a 3rd party. The next time I will take a copy of the press release with me!
post #39 of 51 Old 07-31-2011, 12:08 PM

I've got this issue too. Subscribed for updates
post #40 of 51 Old 08-11-2011, 07:54 PM

Count me also. Just happened a few days back. I noticed when choosing pure audio, all remote command works! but it defeats the purpose of not using all the listening mode that this 708 can handle. Noticed also when in pure audio, the 708 responds when you're few feet away as what a remote should be, but when in different listening mode, it doesnt work from a distance but if you're near it, like maybe 2 feet, the 708 responds but intermittently. I'll be dropping this off at ABL this weekend, I used ABL in Michigan before and they are good on what they do. Hopefully they can fix and will update this thread.
post #41 of 51 Old 08-17-2011, 06:51 AM

I'm not adding too much to the discussion, but I have this problem with both my front panel and remote operation, requiring unplugging the power cable to turn it off.

Good news - It worked for Super Bowl
Bad news - I've had it for 9 months and in what little free time I had wasnt able to get it working so I swapped in a HTIB Onkyo for 2005 to use in the meantime...
post #42 of 51 Old 08-17-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbgambler View Post

I'm not adding too much to the discussion, but I have this problem with both my front panel and remote operation, requiring unplugging the power cable to turn it off.

Good news - It worked for Super Bowl
Bad news - I've had it for 9 months and in what little free time I had wasnt able to get it working so I swapped in a HTIB Onkyo for 2005 to use in the meantime...

Time to warranty it... or do this:

http://www.moparhowto.com/ht-howtos/...kyo-nr708.html
post #43 of 51 Old 09-07-2011, 12:56 PM

Ad my name to the list.
My Onkyo TX-NR708 started to fail on 9/2/11, just 9 months after purchase. Identical problem as many of you listed:
It only goes to CBL/SAT with no volume control.
Remote does not work
Only way to turn it off is to pull the plug.
When replugged, it turns on automatically and goes to CBL/SAT
Front panel controls do not work.
Sometimes may work for 20 minutes.
Onkyo TX-NR708
Purchased 12/21/10 from FRYs
I'm still awaiting a return call from Onkyo.
post #44 of 51 Old 09-10-2011, 03:57 PM

My remote stopped working last month after just 4 months of use. It nows only operates intermittently. I have reset the remote, put in new batteries, and it's still no use.

Every once in a while, the receiver also cycles 'crazily' through all the modes. I checked the speakers cables, and they are secure.

Now I'm having video output problems with my Playstation 3. I just installed a new hard drive on it, and when I try to set it up with HD input through my receiver, it keeps saying no output signal. I can get it to work with 480p SD output through the receiver. There is HD video output when the Playstation is hooked directly to the tv with the HDMI cable though.

I'm almost through with this crappy receiver.
post #45 of 51 Old 09-12-2011, 01:34 PM

I thought I would pile on as well.

I bought my NR708 last December but have it hooked to a system I rarely use (maybe once a month). Yesterday I went down to watch a football game and noticed the AVR was not responding to my Onkyo remote even though it would control other components, such as the cable box. After trying ot diagnose the problem for about 30 minutes, I went online and found this thread. Boy am I dissapointed wiht Onkyo!
post #46 of 51 Old 10-03-2011, 12:18 PM

In case it hasn't been posted yet, here is the press release from the Onkyo web page:

Automatic Continuous Change of Listening Modes and/or Remote Controller Commands are not accepted

06/21/11 - Models: TX-NR708, TX-NR709, TX-NR808, TX-NR1008, TX-NR3008, TX-NR5008, PR-SC5508, HT-RC270, HT-RC370

If your receiver of the above mentioned models experiences the following : Listening modes automatically change one after another. When this problem occurs most commands will not be accepted.

Please contact our Product Support Department at (800) 229-1687, option 3, to confirm that this issue exists in your receiver. If the issue exists you will be given further direction on how to have it serviced.

***This issue will be handled for you even if you are out of warranty (this only applies to US and Canada).***

Here is the link: http://onkyousa.com/press_releases.cfm?id=215

My TX-NR708 has been in the shop for over 2 months now. It is waiting on a part.
post #47 of 51 Old 12-30-2011, 10:28 AM

Has anyone been able to get their 708 repaired by Onkyo for the HDMI problems? I just talked to an authorized service center here in Minneapolis and they told me Onkyo is still repairing the 808 free of charge because of the issues with the HDMI board. I'm guessing that the 708 uses the same board. The problems I'm having is that the unit switches between the HDMI inputs on it's own. It also won't turn off; you need to unplug the unit to power down. Of course, the unit is one month out of warranty.

Any info you could supply would be greatly appreciated. This if my first Onkyo product. In fact, I have 2 of the TX-NR708s. If I can't resolve this issue, I'll get rid of both and go back to Denon. I wish I hadn't sold my Denon.
post #48 of 51 Old 12-30-2011, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergeberge View Post

Has anyone been able to get their 708 repaired by Onkyo for the HDMI problems? I just talked to an authorized service center here in Minneapolis and they told me Onkyo is still repairing the 808 free of charge because of the issues with the HDMI board. I'm guessing that the 708 uses the same board. The problems I'm having is that the unit switches between the HDMI inputs on it's own. It also won't turn off; you need to unplug the unit to power down. Of course, the unit is one month out of warranty.

Any info you could supply would be greatly appreciated. This if my first Onkyo product. In fact, I have 2 of the TX-NR708s. If I can't resolve this issue, I'll get rid of both and go back to Denon. I wish I hadn't sold my Denon.

Hi ergeberge, this is a known issue with Onkyo ... see "The "OFFICIAL" Onkyo RC270, NR708,NR808, NR1008, NR5008, Integra 80.2 Failure Thread".

Call Onkyo of your problem, here.
post #49 of 51 Old 07-11-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzwangmi View Post

Count me also. Just happened a few days back. I noticed when choosing pure audio, all remote command works! but it defeats the purpose of not using all the listening mode that this 708 can handle. Noticed also when in pure audio, the 708 responds when you're few feet away as what a remote should be, but when in different listening mode, it doesnt work from a distance but if you're near it, like maybe 2 feet, the 708 responds but intermittently. I'll be dropping this off at ABL this weekend, I used ABL in Michigan before and they are good on what they do. Hopefully they can fix and will update this thread.

Mine has the same problem my 708 is about 1 1/2 years old the the remote quit working with the receiver it still works with the tv sat receiver blue ray etc. No other problems with switching etc. After reading this above post i pushed the pure audio button on the receiver and then the remote works then i switched it off and the remote continues to work dunno how long this will work but for now its all back to normal. Others might want to give this a try. Just to add since my remote quit working about a week ago it has worked twice for a very short time since but works normal since switching the pure audio on and off.
post #50 of 51 Old 07-13-2012, 04:49 AM

Liked: 15
Hey there Chev.... The remote not working is just the beginning of the deterioration of these many Onkyo units, with most (but not all) units going into full failure shortly after the symptoms begin occurring. If anyone "stumbles " upon this thread, please go to the "Official Onkyo blah blah blah Failure Thread" for many stories of similar failures and what has been done by Onkyo (and a few brave DIYers) to rectify this situation. If you have fresh batteries in the remote and it still aint working, that's where to head for the inside scope. Thankfully, they will be fixing this problem even when the unit is out of warrentee. Good Luck!
post #51 of 51 Old 03-29-2013, 09:57 PM

i have the same problem with my tx-ds989 ver2, doesn't respond to the rc at all, but the rc works fine on all other devices.
has there been any resolution to this?
thanks
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr708
Gear in this thread - Nr708 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page