Onkyo TX-NR708 Remote Control Failure - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 51 Old 04-11-2011, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I saw a couple of posts in the official TX-NR708 thread, but they were scattered about with other information, so I thought I'd start a new thread specifically to discuss issues related to remote control failure which appears to now be affecting a number of people.

Anyhow, if anyone else is experiencing this issues, please respond to help others track down the problem. In particular, is the issue intermittent, or does it happen all the time, does it appear to be with the remote or with the receiver, and is there any resolution (i.e. send back for repair, etc).

In my case, I've had my receiver for about 5 months now and suddenly it stopped responding to the remote. The problem is not intermittent, it's 100% all the time. Nothing appears wrong with the remote. I've replaced batteries and repowered the receiver, to no avail.

I'm somewhat disappointed that a receiver I've owned for less than a year and only lightly use now has a crippling problem. My ten year old Sony 777ES never gave me a spot of trouble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 04-25-2011, 06:21 AM

Hi I too have the exact same issue....

Have done the full reset of the amp and remote control but this does not work.
I have a universal logitech remote as well that is setup too use this amp but that does not work as well.....This amp is only 7 months old so I will be contacting the supplier too see what they can do too fix this.....

Looks like a common issue with these Amps ....abit disappointing considering it is a good brand.
post #3 of 51 Old 04-25-2011, 06:39 PM

Have the same issue...went and had it fixed and now it happens again! Very frustrating!

Warning: Surgeon General has determined that time spent listening to music is not deducted from lifespan.
post #4 of 51 Old 05-05-2011, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 180
I have the same problem too. Mine stopped working after about 3 months. It doesn't respond to any remote control commands either from the original remote or from a Logitech Harmony. Intermittently it will work again however very rarely and very briefly.
post #5 of 51 Old 05-05-2011, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post

I saw a couple of posts in the official TX-NR708 thread, but they were scattered about with other information, so I thought I'd start a new thread specifically to discuss issues related to remote control failure which appears to now be affecting a number of people.

Anyhow, if anyone else is experiencing this issues, please respond to help others track down the problem. In particular, is the issue intermittent, or does it happen all the time, does it appear to be with the remote or with the receiver, and is there any resolution (i.e. send back for repair, etc).

In my case, I've had my receiver for about 5 months now and suddenly it stopped responding to the remote. The problem is not intermittent, it's 100% all the time. Nothing appears wrong with the remote. I've replaced batteries and repowered the receiver, to no avail.

I'm somewhat disappointed that a receiver I've owned for less than a year and only lightly use now has a crippling problem. My ten year old Sony 777ES never gave me a spot of trouble.

Does the universal remote control work for the other products?
A. If yes, then the problem is the front panel IR sensor of the AVR. Not the remote control
B. If no, then the remote control is defective..

Just my $0.02...
post #6 of 51 Old 05-08-2011, 06:08 AM

Has anyone found out a permanent solution to this problem? Mine just quit working last night. My Onkyo remote still controls all of my other AV equipment, but I can't contol my TX-NR708 by remote anymore.

I've only had this unit for about 2 months. Do I just need to contact the retailer to have it repaired?
post #7 of 51 Old 05-08-2011, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
I have the 808--and my problem started with the remote problem and went downhill from there.

I have since replaced my Onkyo 808 with a Marantz 6005 and have been happy with it so far. I am going to have to eventually send my Onkyo to Michigan for warranty work since it is well over 30-days old--I got it in January.

The problems described are similar to mine--and similar to this post from the 808 thread by robmir which fits my issue to a tee.

Quote:
Well, as was expected, Onkyo has not released any bulletin or acknowledging this problem to their authorized service centers as I just found out, and unfortunately the faulty integrated circuit is real and sooner or later the same symptoms will show on some of the last batch of receivers (seems to be the ones which doesn't require a firmware update) !!!!!! The problem is related to the TX-NR708-808-1008 series because they use the same board.

You will notice the receiver will turn on by itself at any moment, then will go to CBL/SAT input and then the DSP will start cycling to all possible modes, remote and panel buttons will be unresponsive.

You will unplug the receiver, plug it again and problem will start just the same.

Resetting to factory settings will not fix anything.

Unplugging the receiver for one hour or more will "fix" the problem but eventually it will came back at any moment.

You will have to send the receiver back to Michigan under the warranty.

Bob

post #8 of 51 Old 05-10-2011, 11:48 AM

Well, I called Crutchfield and tech support determined it is 99.99% likely to be the IR receiver on the amp. Mine is less than 2 months old, so they gave me the option to return it for store credit or to have it repaired at no charge since it is now discontinued.

I don't buy a new amp every couple of years, so I was hoping that this one would last for awhile. I haven't had any other problems and have been very satisifed with the unit up until now.

1. Is this a preview of things to come?
2. Should I cut my losses and find a different make / model?
3. Since this model is discontinued, what would you all recommend?

Thanks,
Ben
post #9 of 51 Old 05-11-2011, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Ben, I would normally say "go with the 808" but you have to ask yourself a question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well do ya? punk!
post #10 of 51 Old 05-11-2011, 06:41 AM

Thanks Fred.
post #11 of 51 Old 05-18-2011, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

My 708 on the way back to me after being at ABL for a week.
post #12 of 51 Old 05-19-2011, 08:13 PM

my tx-nr 708 has the same problem av receiver will not function with remote but cable box will operate .I got it in jan 2011 from 6th ave. I ll be calling them soon.
post #13 of 51 Old 05-24-2011, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Got mine back.

Invoice says they replaced the remote receiver and installed latest firmware.
post #14 of 51 Old 05-28-2011, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Supposedly repaired NR708 hooked back up and after one day of use REMOTE IS NO LONGER WORKING again. WTF are we supposed to do about this?
post #15 of 51 Old 05-28-2011, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

^^
I am very sorry to hear your unit was not fixed properly.

This is why I have not sent mine back--I really don't think it is the remote sensor--I think it is something on the main processing board. There have been quite a few mentioning this here and on other forums so I can't see why Onkyo and their repair partners have not figured out how to fix it. Very discouraging--I'm glad I bought my Marantz 6005 to replace the 808. I guess I'll keep looking to see if someone has actually received their unit back and it actually works for the duration--fortunately the warranty is for two years--it may take that long to get this resolved.

Bob

post #16 of 51 Old 05-31-2011, 06:39 PM

Count me in for this problem too. I own a new Onkyo TX-NR708. I am preparing to bring my unit in for the second time. First time the tech. told me he replaced the wiring harness and plugs from the front to the main board. He told me "there was a service bulletin stating that this year's models used different wiring than last years and that these wires were defective or failing..." anyway, I couldn't believe I waited nearly three weeks for the repair only to hear that crap. Apparently Onkyo has chosen to acknowledge the problem and proposed the absolute cheapest fix possible. I left hoping it would somehow work, but as expected, 5 days later, failure again. I unplugged the unit for 5 days (holiday weekend) plugged it back in and it has been working perfectly now for 4 hours. I give it another 5 days max before it fails again. Either way, its going back, as the tech said "it must be fixed or replaced because it is under warranty".

Unit purchased through Amazon/6ave.com December, 2010.
First Failure 4/22/11.
Unit plugged into 'APC back-ups ES 550' as are all peripherals.

Symptoms for Onkyo TX-NR708 remote failure:

*Unit does not respond to remote commands.
*Unit does not respond to front panel input commands.
*Unit cycles randomly and rapidly through input modes OR listening modes.
*Unit does not respond to power button - must unplug to turn off.
*UNIT UNUSABLE - Total failure.

I want to (optimistically) wish us all good luck with this problem and a fast and painless resolution.

I want to reiterate smbaker's request that everyone experiencing this problem respond to this post "to help others track down the problem" and to put a bug up Onkyo's ass that there are a few unhappy customers out there who deserve a fair resolution.
post #17 of 51 Old 06-01-2011, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

^^^
Thanks for your detailed post on what you have done to try and get your Onkyo repaired. Hopefully someone will have good news to report and their Onkyo will come back repaired. I will wait until someone can let us know repairs were successful and what was done to make the repair. If I had someone local, I wouldn't mind so much bringing it in multiple times. But since I have to ship it to Michigan at my expense, I want to make sure it actually comes back fixed.

Bob

post #18 of 51 Old 06-02-2011, 09:40 AM

I bought my TX-NR708 in January 2011. The remote has just quit working. I unplugged the box for a minute, but it didn't help. I hope my preferred service contract with Fry's Electronics will let me trade up to a newer model and maybe a different manufacturer, but my previous ONKYO did run for years without a single problem. Thank you AVS for having such a great web site.
post #19 of 51 Old 06-03-2011, 10:43 AM

I just wanted to add to my previous post that the remote is not the problem. I was able to set it up to control my TV. I contacted the ONKYO support person, but he had no solution and wasn't aware of a known problem with the receiver. He had me reset my remote, but that didn't help. Now that I proved it wasn't a remote problem I will be calling ONKYO support again.
post #20 of 51 Old 06-03-2011, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topseeded View Post

I just wanted to add to my previous post that the remote is not the problem. I was able to set it up to control my TV. I contacted the ONKYO support person, but he had no solution and wasn't aware of a known problem with the receiver. He had me reset my remote, but that didn't help. Now that I proved it wasn't a remote problem I will be calling ONKYO support again.

Let us know what they say. As I posted earlier when I sent mine in for service they replaced the IR sensor and it fixed nothing; don't think I'm the only one either.
post #21 of 51 Old 06-03-2011, 04:21 PM

hey guys it sounds like 708 and rc270s have similar issues. I was posting in Onkyo ht-rc270 cycling audio problem... won't turn off thread and I saw this post. Since the 708 and 270 are basically the same thought that the problems might be the same. My 270 is having the same issues that Braunbear listed, but in an intermittent manner.

Perhaps we should create a new thread for 708/270 onkyos that have this issue, get people together that have the issue then direct Onkyo to take a look that lots of us are having this issue. Desmo on the 270 post had the service center fix his 270, they claimed oxidation was the problem, but its now doing the same thing. So clearly Onkyo really doesn't know what the problem is...

I created a thread to track both 270 and 708 owners with the problem please visit it
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1339186
post #22 of 51 Old 06-04-2011, 06:29 AM

I reset my receiver and so far it's working fine. I'll let everyone know if the problem returns.
post #23 of 51 Old 06-04-2011, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliteconcept View Post

hey guys it sounds like 708 and rc270s have similar issues. I was posting in Onkyo ht-rc270 cycling audio problem... won't turn off thread and I saw this post. Since the 708 and 270 are basically the same thought that the problems might be the same. My 270 is having the same issues that Braunbear listed, but in an intermittent manner.

Perhaps we should create a new thread for 708/270 onkyos that have this issue, get people together that have the issue then direct Onkyo to take a look that lots of us are having this issue. Desmo on the 270 post had the service center fix his 270, they claimed oxidation was the problem, but its now doing the same thing. So clearly Onkyo really doesn't know what the problem is...

I created a thread to track both 270 and 708 owners with the problem please visit it
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1339186

More than that unfortunately--mine is the 808--same story--same lack of solutions.

I just noticed the link to the new thread and I' e posted there.

Bob

post #24 of 51 Old 06-04-2011, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliteconcept View Post

My 708 only has a problem with no response to remote commands. The front panel controls still work and it doesn't randomly switch modes.
post #25 of 51 Old 06-06-2011, 06:24 AM

Receiver Reset Solution Lasted 1 day. The good news. So far that's the only problem I have. I'm hoping my receiver doesn't have the other problems I've been reading about on this thread. I'm going to call ONKYO customer support again just so they have a record of the problem. I do not want to send the receiver in for repair. Before I do that I will buy another receiver from a brand with a better reputation and sell the ONKYO if it's ever fixed.
post #26 of 51 Old 06-07-2011, 08:06 PM

I have the same issue as Osirus23. Everything is okay except the remote control now does not work with the receiver. This just happened suddenly after using the receiver without a problem for four months now. Tonight, I finally got it to sense the remote -- but only if I was right next to the receiver.
The remote worked fine with the other components. So, I think the issue lies with the receiver itself.

The whole thing really irritates me since this seems to be a common problem. I'm interested to know if anyone has found a solution.
post #27 of 51 Old 06-09-2011, 07:21 AM

Liked: 13
Having the same problem with old school tx ds989. I was thinking of buying an ir emitter repeater for the ir main jack in the back. Anybody tried this ?

post #28 of 51 Old 06-10-2011, 05:21 PM

*sigh* I wish I had seen this before I purchased the Onkyo TX-NR708 back in February! I probably would have made a different purchasing decision. I, too, can confirm that the remote control will cease working with this receiver. It is NOT the remote itself. The remote continues to work with other components just fine: my Samsung TV and Blu-ray player, my cable box. It just will not work with the Onkyo Receiver.

The remote will not control the TX-NR708 in any way, shape, or form. It won't turn off the receiver. It won't enter the setup mode for the receiver. It won't control the volume. Thus far, it's JUST the remote. I can still control the TX-NR708 with buttons on the receiver.

This is just terrible! I paid good money for this receiver, and for it fail after only 3 months demonstrates pretty low quality.
post #29 of 51 Old 06-10-2011, 07:35 PM

Southern Charm,
Please post in the http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1339186 post. we are attempting to compile a list of onkyo owners with the problem and pressure Onkyo via Facebook, to do something more than making owners pay to mail their units in for repair, which may or may not fix the problem the first time..
post #30 of 51 Old 06-11-2011, 12:36 PM

So I've always loved Onkyo, but now that I had these remote IR response problems I'm reluctant to get another Onkyo. What do folks recommend as a similar replacement form the Onkyo TX-NR708?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr708
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page