Onkyo TX-NR708 or Yamaha RX-V867? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-12-2011, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Trying to get my first Receiver. After doign some research I have zeroed in on Onkyo-NR708 or Yamaha RX-867, both are 7.2 channel and are priced around $500 range (Yamah is around $40 cheaper). The major difference is that While Onkyo provides 110w/channel Yaham does 95w, on the other hand Yamaha has TWO-hdmi outputs while Onkyo has one. My question,is 15w/ch worth an additional hdmi output? Please advice.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-13-2011, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Yamaha 867. Better build quality.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-13-2011, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks, what about the 15w/ch difference? Would it be very noticeable?
post #4 of 6 Old 04-13-2011, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

No, not at all. Before you decide read all the threads about current and past problems with Onkyo AVR's. Also I'm using an Onkyo 876 at this time and when I upgrade soon it will not be another Onkyo.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-13-2011, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Since the topic has been brought up, I'd like some feedback on whether or not the Yamaha can push as much power out as an equivalent Onkyo. I.e. is a 100W/ch Yamaha going to sound as good at stupidly loud levels as an Onkyo? Will it sound better? Will one simply not be able to keep up, especially in an all-channels-driven type scenario?

I've read a couple anecdotal reports here at AVS that stated that Yamahas were not quite able to keep up with equivalently rated Onkyos, but that may not be a very scientific comparison, so more data, even if also anecdotal, would be appreciated.

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-13-2011, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

Since the topic has been brought up, I'd like some feedback on whether or not the Yamaha can push as much power out as an equivalent Onkyo. I.e. is a 100W/ch Yamaha going to sound as good at stupidly loud levels as an Onkyo? Will it sound better? Will one simply not be able to keep up, especially in an all-channels-driven type scenario?

I've read a couple anecdotal reports here at AVS that stated that Yamahas were not quite able to keep up with equivalently rated Onkyos, but that may not be a very scientific comparison, so more data, even if also anecdotal, would be appreciated.

shinksma

The only difference should be the EQ programs and which you prefer. I like both and have used both. YPAO from the Yammies give you more adjustments. Audyssey from the Onkyo's(as long as its Multi-EQ and above) give you the ability to EQ the sub/s whereas the Yamaha's don't until you get to their Aventage line of A2000/3000. I preferred the sound of my Yamaha 2600 over the Onkyo 876 I'm using now. No I did not do a blind test and it was problably a setting in the Onkyo that was the difference. The build quality of the Yamaha's is just better IMO. Especially today. I also have an Onkyo 696 that had excellent build quality, much better than todays Onkyo's IMO. Current Onkyo's just seem to have too many failure rates and problems for my liking. JMHO.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V867 Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr708
Gear in this thread - V867 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page