Yamaha Receiver RX-467 or 371? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-17-2011, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My old refurbished Teac receiver finally died after 10 years of good use. I am looking for a good replacement for my little home theater. I have a 5.1 satellite/sub sony speaker system in a room that is about 20x15. I have a 50 inch lg plasma, lg blu-ray. All I ever do is watch movies, no cable, too far out for tv signal, no gaming system. Since I have a mediocre speaker system, going for a top notch reciever does not make sense.

I have been drawn to the yamaha over onkyo simply based on reliability (based on reading around this site). I am wondering if it is better to get the newer but lower model (371), or the older but higher model (467). They are priced about the same. The main difference I see is the auto calibration feature on the 467. I am putting this in a rectangular room with the tv in the middle of a wall, surrounds set up just like you see in the pictures - an ideal setup. Is the auto calibration really needed with the good placements I have?

Thanks-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-17-2011, 05:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 383
If they are the same price I'd go with the receiver with auto calibration. I think it is a very good feature to have. Plus the 467 has binding post for all speakers instead of cheap spring clip terminals.

I'd also look at the Pioneer VSX-820 since its in the same price range and has auto calibration.
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-82.../dp/B0039XQL2G

Afro GT
post #3 of 6 Old 04-17-2011, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for expanding my search. The pioneer looks like a good unit, but still has a few flaws. I think that I need to spend a little more to get what I really want (I am sure no one else has ever thought that). The Denon 591 seems to be all that I need, for only a bit more money.
post #4 of 6 Old 04-17-2011, 11:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 383
I own the Denon 591 and am very happy with it. How did you determine it is what you need?

Afro GT
post #5 of 6 Old 04-18-2011, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Great sound, easy reliability, 5.1, easy set up, moderate power. Care most about sound and reliability, features are not all that important.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-20-2011, 02:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The 471, the new version of the 467, will be out by the end of April if you can wait. The 471 adds a USB input and a Graphic User Interface. This line of AVR is only 6" high and for me it fits in a 7" space. Most of these AVRs are so big I can't fit them in my furniture. I wish more makers would package some of thier unit in smaller enclosures.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page