Onkyo TX-NR609 or Denon AVR-1912 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 59 Old 04-19-2011, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok so the Denon Avr-1912 has been announced and it has the same features pretty much as the Onkyo TX-NR609 except it has MultEQ and Airplay.

I dont know if I would use airplay right now but it is always nice to have just in case I do in the future. MultEQ on the other hand seems like it is very good to have since I have a Sub that needs calibrated.

The problem Im facing is that I can purchase the Tx-NR609 right now for $400
and the MSRP on the Denon is $529 but I would think it will be available for a decent amount under MSRP in a month or two but Im not sure if thats not the case anymore with Denons policy of having retailers sell closer to MSRP.

So not being an experienced AV person I wasnt sure how important MultEQ is in setting up the subwoofer with the speakers. Would setting up the speakers with the 2EQ and then adjusting the sub settings manually make a big impact on the sound vs MultEQ setup?

Im trying to decide if the price difference is worth it. I also know Onkyo had Hdmi handshake issues recently so it may have been corrected with this new release but that has yet to be determined.

PS I also considered the AVR-1911 but internet connectivity was a huge plus as well as more HDMI inputs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 Old 04-19-2011, 11:17 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by hordeall View Post

Ok so the Denon Avr-1912 has been announced and it has the same features pretty much as the Onkyo TX-NR609 except it has MultEQ and Airplay.

I dont know if I would use airplay right now but it is always nice to have just in case I do in the future. MultEQ on the other hand seems like it is very good to have since I have a Sub that needs calibrated.

The problem Im facing is that I can purchase the Tx-NR609 right now for $400
and the MSRP on the Denon is $529 but I would think it will be available for a decent amount under MSRP in a month or two but Im not sure if thats not the case anymore with Denons policy of having retailers sell closer to MSRP.

So not being an experienced AV person I wasnt sure how important MultEQ is in setting up the subwoofer with the speakers. Would setting up the speakers with the 2EQ and then adjusting the sub settings manually make a big impact on the sound vs MultEQ setup?

Im trying to decide if the price difference is worth it. I also know Onkyo had Hdmi handshake issues recently so it may have been corrected with this new release but that has yet to be determined.

PS I also considered the AVR-1911 but internet connectivity was a huge plus as well as more HDMI inputs.

I'm in the same boat as you. The Onkyo is tempting, but I've owned a number of different Denon receivers over the years; currently a Denon AVR-591 that has worked flawlessly and sounds great. I've auditioned various Onkyo and Denon receivers in the past and, personally, always liked the sound of the Denons better. Now that's just me. Others may feel differently.

I, too, am looking forward to internet connectivity in a receiver. So I've pretty much decided to wait on the Denon AVR-1912. Yes, it costs more and, as you mentioned, I'm pretty sure the price will not be discounted except, perhaps, from non-authorized dealers. My faith in Denon, however, comes from my own experiences with their receivers over the years.

This is just one guy's opinion, of course, but I hope its useful in making your decision.
post #3 of 59 Old 04-20-2011, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Interesting info - I have had an Onkyo 600 for 8 years now and its been a rock - to me it sounds great! However, my room is nothing fancy and my speakers are the satellite harman kardon hkts5 with the powered subwoofer and an extra satellite speaker - nothing fancy.

I am interested in maybe trying a Denon - in fact Denon was on my short list 8 years ago. Its time to upgrade and I have 4 that I am considering - well really 2, the 609, 709, 1912 and the 2312 - the 709 and 2312 are out of my 500 or so limit.

I am looking for something that has a discrete zone 2 so I can power the outside speakers but what intrigues me the most is the ability to control the Denon from outside with the droid or ipad app. I assume the 1912 will accept the denon app same as the 3312 and 2X12. But as I understand, there is an onkyo app that will do the same - although not as robust and not available on droid yet. The new onkyo has more of the inputs I need - especially optical and coax digital and really is a big bang for the buck - the denon has most of everything except there is only 1 component input and 2 digital (coax and optical) - I need at least 3 optical / coax (xbox, htpc, tv for netflix and other tv apps) and I need 2 compnent.. so either I upgrade more stuff to get rid of the legacy inputs to get the denon or I stick with the onkyo.. either way seems like a great year to upgrade - only if the denon had 2 more digital inputs and 1 more component input
post #4 of 59 Old 04-20-2011, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
For only 70$ more you can get the 2112. It has Audyssey MultiEQ XT so it would be a step up from the 1912 (MultiEQ) and the 609 (2EQ). In my opinion, the sound quality from one receiver brand to another is based on room correction. The power differences will be small so I doubt there will be any difference between them in 2 channel direct mode. The differences in sound quality will come from better room correction.
post #5 of 59 Old 04-20-2011, 07:19 PM

Liked: 12
The Onkyo has some very impressive features for the price; Marvel video processing (an unheard of feature @ this price), 7.2, networking and THX cert. are nearly unheard of @ this price. Yeah I'd go with the Onkyo for sure out of the two. Don't get me wrong, I like Denon's I currently have one, and would vouch for it all day everyday. But out of your two choices Onkyo is the winner hands down. I've had an Onkyo before and now have a Denon they both sounded great IMO you're not going to tell the difference in sound in two comparable receivers from two great companies. What you pay for is the features like video processing, 7.2...ect. But yeah get the Onkyo for sure.

Your system is only as good as your weakest component.
post #6 of 59 Old 04-21-2011, 03:16 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 View Post

For only 70$ more you can get the 2112. It has Audyssey MultiEQ XT so it would be a step up from the 1912 (MultiEQ) and the 609 (2EQ). In my opinion, the sound quality from one receiver brand to another is based on room correction. The power differences will be small so I doubt there will be any difference between them in 2 channel direct mode. The differences in sound quality will come from better room correction.

+1

Skip the 609 as it does no sub filtering and because the lower frequencies are the hardest to EQ. Audyssey will do a much better job of it then you would be able to do manually. Also, if your speaker setup > $1000, I'd spring for the 2112 and get the even better version of XT.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #7 of 59 Old 04-21-2011, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter

A dealer that sells denons told me that the 1912 is delayed untill september due to japan factory issues. I dont know if that holds true for the CI models as well.

This is just what he told me. I asked because he had the onkyo 609 for sale and I wanted to know if he was going to have the 1912 as well.
post #8 of 59 Old 04-21-2011, 03:54 AM
585-645-1006

He likely just wants to sell the 609 ... the 1912 is mfr'd in China. The only model mfr'd in Japan is the 4312 which is due out in Sep/Oct.

Also, this post was made yesterday in the Denon 2011 models thread ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruw831 View Post

FYI... i just got off the phone with the denon rep here in texas and he mentioned that the 1912, 1312, and 1612 started shipping to stores today and that we should see them in stores in the next 2 weeks. However, those listed on the website, mainly the CI models, are not actually scheduled to ship until late may.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #9 of 59 Old 04-21-2011, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter

I think your right about him trying to move the Onkyo. I found the Denon Avr-1912 already listed for $450 shipped. I think i will pull the trigger.
post #10 of 59 Old 04-21-2011, 06:00 AM
585-645-1006

Where did you find it? Make sure you purchase from a Denon authorized reseller otherwise the warranty won't be valid and considering the network card issues on the Denon AVRs the past two years, you're going to want to have a valid warranty if it becomes necessary for repair.

post #11 of 59 Old 04-27-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:

I think your right about him trying to move the Onkyo. I found the Denon Avr-1912 already listed for $450 shipped. I think i will pull the trigger.

Just ordered the Denon 1912 from vanns for a bit lower than that. Cannot wait to set it up with the Jamo s 606 set I just got.

I wanted the 2112 over the 1912 but became impatient when I saw the 1912 on the vanns website. Also think I read somewhere that the 2112 will not be available til end of May.
post #12 of 59 Old 05-03-2011, 08:45 PM

hi Johnny,

How are you finding your 1912 so far?

Have you managed to set it up properly etc yet? Any comments, positive/negative about it?

Did u buy it online or in store?

regards,
P
post #13 of 59 Old 05-09-2011, 06:29 AM

Just jumped ship from the Pioneer VSX-1021 to a Denon AVR-1912. I really wanted to like the Pioneer but had one go bad after a week and a half and then had three subsequent bad ones. I don't think they're ready for prime time. Back to the 1912...Nice unit and (so far) works like a charm. Plus it was $20 cheaper. Set up was easy and intuitive and the instructions, while still not perfect, were a heck of a lot easier to understand than the Pioneer's. Yeah, it could have a couple of more inputs in the back, but I have everything working and the sound is nice. I would like to see an update somewhere that would allow me to use Airplay and iTunes Remote directly to Zone 2 as I would like to rock out in my back yard without disrupting what's going on in Zone 1. Anytime I do anything with Airplay it affects both zones and I have to manually re-select the input and volume on Zone 1. Anybody have any tips on this one?
post #14 of 59 Old 05-09-2011, 07:49 PM
585-645-1006

^^
So Airplay does work to Zone 2 on the 1912? What about internet radio to Zone 2? Airplay will be restricted to both Zones at once which is also the case with the firmware upgrade offered on last year's models.

post #15 of 59 Old 05-10-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
What about internet radio to Zone 2? .

I just got my AVR-1912 and have just stared messing around. I was able to log into the web interface and turn on Pandora and internet radio directly to zone 2 without messing with zone 1. I haven't tried with the remote, but I assume that will work.

-Izrun
post #16 of 59 Old 05-11-2011, 12:06 PM

I've just gotten home and had a chance to set up the Jamos606 towers with the 1912. I'm not sure I've set it up correctly tho as the volume is quite low unless I crank it up to -20 or so. I've connected the Jamos to my old Yamaha RX-750 80 watt 2 channel stereo receiver and they sound significantly louder. On the Denon, I set the system as 2 channel stereo, Direct, no sub, large fronts and the sound is still quite weak. I'll continue messing around but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

By the way, Airplay and networking features work a treat. I plugged the ethernet cable in from my bridge and after it acquired an IP my iphone saw it immediately. Internet radio worked great too, showing me my local internet radio stations and streams. Tried to use Pandora but couldn't remember my password so will have to try later.

Don't have zone 2 set up so haven't tried anything there.

What could I be doing wrong for the 2 channel stereo setup?
post #17 of 59 Old 05-11-2011, 12:14 PM
585-645-1006

Have you run AUTO SETUP yet? If not, do so. Nothing is likely wrong as -30db to -20db is about average volume with most speakers. You do want to use the STANDARD mode however, rather than DIRECT, otherwise you won't be using Audyssey MultEQ.

The new Denon XX12 Owner's thread is now set up, so join us there for further questions/information.

post #18 of 59 Old 05-11-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Have you run AUTO SETUP yet? If not, do so. Nothing is likely wrong as -30db to -20db is about average volume with most speakers. You do want to use the STANDARD mode however, rather than DIRECT, otherwise you won't be using Audyssey MultEQ.

The new Denon XX12 Owner's thread is now set up, so join us there for further questions/information.
Have not run AUTO SETUP yet. Isn't it better to use Direct rather than Audyssey for 2 channel stereo? I was hoping to bypass all equalization and listen to the original source as I did with the Yamaha.

Thanks for the link to the official thread. Will post in there.
post #19 of 59 Old 05-14-2011, 12:04 PM

I'm actually debating this very topic, NR609 or AVR-1912?

I want the multi-eq but would I be losing anything much by the denon not having THX certification? I like how they set audio volume 0 as being reference theater volume, among a few other little nice things that you find with THX receivers. Do denon receivers do these things as well? I've never tried a denon receiver.

One thing that kind of annoys me about all of these receivers is that they support a ton of features that I'll never use (but get forced into paying for anyways) for example I'll never own an ipod or iphone (there are far better things for the money) I'll never use satellite radio so those integrations are worthless...I could name off a ton of things. I mainly just want a receiver that processes all of the common bitstreaming formats and has plenty of inputs and only one output. And of course, one that faithfully reproduces audio.
post #20 of 59 Old 05-14-2011, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Unfortunately, the manufacturers that avoid loading up their receivers with extra features are no less expensive. Marantz and NAD are two examples of companies that make you pay for stripped down feature sets.

Many will argue that the sound quality is worth the asking price, while others say that any receiver driven within it's amp's limits will sound the same.

Ultimately, it's up to each person's ears.
post #21 of 59 Old 05-15-2011, 08:02 AM

But what's the overall consensus here? avr-1912 or nr609? I'm pretty torn as I am unable to audition them.

Quote:

Where'd you find it for that price?
post #22 of 59 Old 05-15-2011, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I'm also looking at both of these as a possible replacement for m Denon AVR-687. I would love to hear any reviews people have who actually have had a chance to use these receivers.

AVR: Denon 2112
Speakers: EMP Tek e55ti, Center- EMP Tek e56ci, Side Surrounds- EMP Tek e55wi, Rear Surrounds- KLH 911b, Sub- SVS PC12 Plus
TV: Panasonic 50VT25
Blu-Ray Player:Samsung BD-EM59C;
Playstation 4, Apple TV, Harmony Remote
post #23 of 59 Old 05-15-2011, 10:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenA07 View Post

I'm also looking at both of these as a possible replacement for m Denon AVR-687. I would love to hear any reviews people have who actually have had a chance to use these receivers.

Well, if money is an important factor I suggest you look at the Onkyo RC360 which is essentially the NR609 without the PC input and THX cert. Fry's has it for $299 thru Thursday.

http://www.frys.com/product/6598513?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Afro GT
post #24 of 59 Old 05-17-2011, 12:04 PM

Too bad there isn't a Fry's within several hundred miles of me.

I am looking at the same dilemma as others with AVRs at this price point. Anyone else also consider the Yamaha V867? Or did I miss some hole it has in its spec list.
post #25 of 59 Old 05-17-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyletrois View Post

Just ordered the Denon 1912 from vanns for a bit lower than that. Cannot wait to set it up with the Jamo s 606 set I just got.

I wanted the 2112 over the 1912 but became impatient when I saw the 1912 on the vanns website. Also think I read somewhere that the 2112 will not be available til end of May.

I just pulled the trigger as well. Aside from the Audyssey difference I noted the multi zone pre amps on the 2112. In what cases is that advantageous to no multi zone preamps?

Thanks!
post #26 of 59 Old 05-17-2011, 06:04 PM
585-645-1006

^^
The Zone 2 preouts would allow you to run a 7.1 setup in the main zone. So if you only plan on a 5.1 setup, then no advantage.

post #27 of 59 Old 05-17-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:

^^
The Zone 2 preouts would allow you to run a 7.1 setup in the main zone. So if you only plan on a 5.1 setup, then no advantage.

i'm sorry i was unclear in my last question. I meant that in some receivers i've seen that the multi zone outputs are pre amped and some are not. My question is in what situation would it be advantageous to have the multi zone outputs preamped vs not.

So say I did want to run a 5.1 + another zone. I'm asking because I was considering the Denon 2112 as well which offered it.

Thanks!

edit: just saw the denon xx12 thread. i'll mosey this question on over there.
post #28 of 59 Old 05-17-2011, 07:03 PM
585-645-1006

Using the Zone 2 preouts to an external amp would allow you to use a 7.1 setup in the main zone as well as taking some of the load off of the AVR (as an active sub does as well).

post #29 of 59 Old 05-18-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:

Using the Zone 2 preouts to an external amp would allow you to use a 7.1 setup in the main zone as well as taking some of the load off of the AVR (as an active sub does as well).

Ah! That makes sense thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyletrois View Post

Who does one have to flirt with to get that kinda deal? I know they're having a call in sale. Can I just ask them to go for 400?
post #30 of 59 Old 06-02-2011, 06:22 AM

Hi Folks,

I just returned my Pioneer 1021K (paid $500) and picked up the Denon AVR-2112C1 (paid $500) The denon web site listed June 11th as the release date but my local shop in Austin received them this week. Set up was quick and automatic. It picked up my network without any effort. Tried the airplay with my iphone 3GS, again no problem. Have not run the sound calibration yet but sounds great right out of the box. I am using a 5.1 set up with Bose series 10 Acoustimass speakers.

Why did I return the Pioneer? Had a few issues with white lines across the screen on some channels when hooked to my Direct TV hardware. Problem was not there when I watched the same channel directly from the DVR to the TV.

Heard too many stories about the Pioneer equipment dying after a few months and did not want to deal with that. The Denon has a 3 yr warranty.

I considered the Onkyo 609 but you get what you pay for. So many features for $400 tells me they cut corners on the component quality.

Thanks,
chuckp
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr609 7 2 Channel Network Thx Certified A V Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page