Emotiva UMC-1 Speakers Pop Powering Down - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-20-2011, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need some information. I got an Emotiva UMC-1 about a month and a half ago. While powering down, although it doesn't happen all the time, I noticed speakers pop right before the amp shuts down. Now, it's now a loud "POP" where it would cause damage to the speakers, but it's defnitely audible and it's getty very annoying.

When I contacted Emotiva, they told me that the trigger should have a delay, meaning it should power on the amp couple of seconds after the processor powers on and should turn off the amp just before powering down (to avoid any spikes). Well, the trigger delay seems to work during powering up process, but while powering down, there doesn't seem to be any delay. If there is one, it's way too short.

Any other Emotiva UMC-1 owners out there who's experiencing this problem? Yes, I did read other threads stating that they wouldn't recommend UMC-1, but for now I just want to solve this problem. If this is normal, I would deal with it or come up with some remedy. I just want to know if my unit is defective or not.

Since I passed 30 day mark, I can't exchange for a new unit. I would honor their warrenty though. That means I would be without a processor for who knows how long...

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-20-2011, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
First of all Im sorry you are having problems with your processor. This is just another one of the many bugs that this processor presents. In all honesty you may never get it working properly because it has so many flaws. Emotiva can't even keep them straight or even fix the most common issues. Im hoping you can get this fixed before the pops possibly cause damage to your speakers. My advice would of been to never of purchased the UMC-1 because it's just not a very good piece of equipment. I currently own three Emotiva amplifiers so Im not an Emotiva hater by any means. In the end if the UMC-1 doesn't work out for you. There are many reliable AVR's that can be used as a pre pro at affordable prices. Without all the headaches of the UMC-1. Good luck with this.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-21-2011, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for your feedback. I knew UMC-1 had problem detecting streams, but I had not idea, it had this many problems. It seems as though, Emotiva is aware of this, but they themselves don't know what to do about it. For the money I paid, I still think it's a good deal, but I'm starting to loose faith and that is a bad thing. Other processors that I really want costs way over my budget...
post #4 of 5 Old 04-21-2011, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
Look for used AVRs with pre-outs. The HK AVR635 would be a good pre/pro for fairly cheap, as they're a few years old now.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-21-2011, 03:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Did you try asking over at the Emotiva lounge? While there are complaints about UMC-1 issues, pop from speakers during power down is not unique to UMC-1. Could it be possible it's the amp and not the UMC-1?

What happens if you manually power down the amp with the UMC-1 on? If it still pops, I am not sure you can be sure it's a problem with the UMC-1.

I am sure the other posters mean well, but do some basic diagnosis before attacking the processor, IMO.

"But this one goes up to 11"
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page