Pioneer VSX-1121 Owner's Thread - Page 110 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3271 of 3298 Old 02-14-2014, 11:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 14

Anyone having no audio through HDMI from computers?

I get sound from speakers not HDMI.

I know it's not a) computer because multiple computers have same problem and they can output directly to TVs and b) not cable because it works fine with other non-PC devices and c) not receiver because it outputs sound from HDMIT sound input fine from other devices.

So what gives?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3272 of 3298 Old 02-17-2014, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck View Post

Just called the local repair guy...he said trash it. The HDMI board is the culprit and costs $400 to replace. Less than 3 years from a receiver this expensive is sad.

Oh, that's really discouraging. I just sent an email to my local Pioneer repair shop asking how much it would be to replace that HDMI board. $400 is what I paid for the receiver total in the first place! Mine was no fault of the receiver, which has been nothing short of excellent for me - my house got hit by lightning, and there was some kind of surge through the TV cable that fried the cable box HDMI out, 1121 HDMI in that it was attached to, 1121 HDMI out, and my Panasonic plasma HDMI in. I'm sure not paying $400 to replace the board. Any idea what the part number is for that board? I wonder if it's possible to find one on ebay, and just install it myself. How hard could it be?

BTW - I LOVE this receiver - it sounds fantastic, has tons of power, I can configure it any way I like. Right now I have it still working in my home theater, but it's attached to sources via optical or coax digital for audio, and my TV only has 2 HDMI in ports, so i'm kinda limited by this. It's mostly workable, but it complicates using remotes, and no way could my wife ever figure out how to reset to the right inputs/outputs if anything ever happens to the remote I have programmed. I picked up a VSX-42 used today as a stopgap, or maybe long term replacement if it sounds ok. I was hoping to get the 1121 repaired for a reasonable price, and then put it back into service. I paid $220 for the VSX-42, which seemed like an ok deal - it's virtually brand new.
post #3273 of 3298 Old 02-17-2014, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemketron View Post

We've been using the TV speakers since the HDMI switching failed in my 1121. I really miss the surround sound!

I am hoping for another positive experience thanks to Chase Explorer Card's double warranty protection (as it failed just before the end of the second year). If it really costs that much to repair, then hopefully they'll let me replace it with something like the 1123. Is that a reasonable upgrade?

Was the 1121 a particularly bad model or is the 1123 likely to suffer the same fate?

TBH, I think it's a particularly GOOD model - definitely a higher line than the 1123 - apparently it lives on as the 1223. I've been looking at Yamaha 773/7065 as a possible replacement, but the newer Yamahas have really low power output with 5 or 7 channels driven, (check out soundandvisio.com for reviews with bench tests, they're in the 30wpc range). Everybody seems to love the sound of the yamahas, and they appear to be the most reliable of the AVR brands, but I just have a hard time with that lack of multi-channel power. Maybe I'm missing the point since all reviewers rave about the great sound.
post #3274 of 3298 Old 02-23-2014, 08:25 AM

Liked: 10
Good morning folks and fellow 1121 owners. Questions surrounding the use of the Harmony Ultimate 15. Has any one successfully programmed the Harmony to control Pandora and functions within the Pandora screens. I can get it to change and flip to Pandora but when the screen pulls up that says your stations, new stations, etc, the direction up and down are not working properly. Any ideas or tips others have done?
post #3275 of 3298 Old 02-24-2014, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My VSX-1121 shuts off Zone 2 about every 30 minutes. I can't figure out what is going on - is anyone else having the same issue?

I experienced this same issue when using the iControlAV2 iOS app. I thought this was a quirk of the app, but last night, I was not using the app when the issue occurred again. I was outputting music from my Apple TV, which was hooked up via a DAC to an analog input on the VSX, this analog input was routed to Zone 2.

My setup is as follows: Zone 2 pre-out > Aton DLA6 speaker switcher > Distributed audio speakers

Any help is appreciated.
post #3276 of 3298 Old 02-26-2014, 08:22 PM

Hi all, I just finished moving into my new home where we finally decided to set up the home theater properly. We have a VSX-1121 hooked up 5.1 on moderate level Definitive's (I will get model numbers later with edit) and a subwoofer that I'm not quite sure what brand it is but I will update soon.
Anyway, I plan on performing the automatic calibration very soon, but I was hoping for some tips on getting the sound where I want it. Specifically for this weekend, I'm having a party at home and I'd like the music to fill the big open space nicely. I have some experience with adjusting the EQ but I wouldn't call myself an expert.

In terms of music, on my persona VSX-1021, I have the Definitive ProCinema 60.6 system hooked up with a pair of Polk Monitor 60s as my fronts. I was thinking about replacing the 1121's L/R with my 1021's L/R. I think the bigger speakers would definitely fill the space better. Would do you guys think? Any tips or thoughts is appreciated!

Please note we'll generally be listening to rock, hip-hop, and dance music. We might even throw in things on the classical side.
post #3277 of 3298 Old 03-07-2014, 12:25 PM

So my Pioneer W300 LAN adapter crapped out on me. No surprise after reading current reviews on it.

I have an airport express I'm using to extend my network and it can be relocated to be right next to my VSX-1121. Is it possible to have it simultaneously extend my network as well as provide airplay to the VSX via the ethernet port? Simply connecting an ethernet cable didn't seem to work as the receiver was stuck "starting H.M.G."

I'd prefer to use the ethernet port HMG connection rather than connecting through the 3.5mm jack so that the receiver would automatically switch to HMG instead of having to manually set it.
post #3278 of 3298 Old 03-08-2014, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepags View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemketron View Post

Wait, you're saying Pioneer took your (presumably out of warranty) 1121 as a trade-in on an 1123? What price did they give you on the 1123? How is the 1123 different and what do you think of it?

I'm in the process of trying to get my 1121 repaired, since it stopped switching HDMI.

Just called the local repair guy...he said trash it. The HDMI board is the culprit and costs $400 to replace. Less than 3 years from a receiver this expensive is sad.

I had the same problem (fried hdmi board) with a denon 1910 after only a year. I was told the same thing - the cost to repair was more than it was worth. These price points are basically throw away units. Nice, eh?

I then bought the 1121 and now have the famous "speaker pop" issue. I called pioneer about a year ago and they claim they've never heard of such an issue. My wife is so pissed she wants to just get rid of surround sound and go back to the tv speakers since they will always work! I'm now thinking if I replace the 1121, who's to say I don't get another lemon?!?! I'm just sick and tired of this Chinese crap. At this point I'm having a hard time arguing with my wife though (not that I would ever let her know though).

So I called Pioneer again yesterday. The woman couldn't be bothered with my issue. All she wanted to do was confirm that the unit was outside of the 1 year warranty period. Then it was a race to see how quickly she could get off the phone. Unfortunately their customer service is of the same quality of their receivers. I had high hopes for Pioneer. I gave them a shot. I gave them my money. I gave them multiple phone calls. Goodbye forever.
post #3279 of 3298 Old 03-09-2014, 01:58 PM

While trying to play a .mkv file through my PS3 my reciever keeps switching between stereo and surround or something to that effect and the switch isn't seemless so it pauses and starts the file constantly making the video unwatchable. Is there anything i can do to stop this? Has anyone else come across this problem. I know it's an older reciever but i'm hoping people still look at this thread.

post #3280 of 3298 Old 03-10-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00BNooB View Post

So my Pioneer W300 LAN adapter crapped out on me. No surprise after reading current reviews on it.

I have an airport express I'm using to extend my network and it can be relocated to be right next to my VSX-1121. Is it possible to have it simultaneously extend my network as well as provide airplay to the VSX via the ethernet port? Simply connecting an ethernet cable didn't seem to work as the receiver was stuck "starting H.M.G."

I'd prefer to use the ethernet port HMG connection rather than connecting through the 3.5mm jack so that the receiver would automatically switch to HMG instead of having to manually set it.

You need to set your airport express as a bridge to your wireless router. I have a d-Link wireless bridge/access point hooked to my Pioneer VSX-1121 and my Blue-ray player through their ethernet ports. I am able to use iControlAV2 to control my receiver from my Android phone and the receiver is able to access Pandora, DMLA sources on my network, and Internet Stations using this configuration.
post #3281 of 3298 Old 03-10-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Marcum View Post

You need to set your airport express as a bridge to your wireless router. I have a d-Link wireless bridge/access point hooked to my Pioneer VSX-1121 and my Blue-ray player through their ethernet ports. I am able to use iControlAV2 to control my receiver from my Android phone and the receiver is able to access Pandora, DMLA sources on my network, and Internet Stations using this configuration.

Thanks Tim. Do you know if its possible to have the airport express continue to extend the network while acting as a bridge through the ethernet port? The only guide i've found to setting the airport as a bridge states that in order to set the express up in bridge mode, I need to change the setting from 'extend a network' to 'join a network'
post #3282 of 3298 Old 03-10-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00BNooB View Post

Thanks Tim. Do you know if its possible to have the airport express continue to extend the network while acting as a bridge through the ethernet port? The only guide i've found to setting the airport as a bridge states that in order to set the express up in bridge mode, I need to change the setting from 'extend a network' to 'join a network'

Unfortunately, you can have one or the other, but not both similtaneously. I don't know of any bridge/access point that will function as both at the same time. I would still bite the bullet and buy a new media bridge (actually, I did just that when my older bridge no longer functioned with a new wireless router I had to buy) rather than replace the Pioneer W300 LAN adapter with another one. I bought mine for about $40 on sale and I think with just a little searching on your part, you can find a similar deal. The other advantage is I can connect two more ethernet devices in my media cabinet to the bridge if needed.
post #3283 of 3298 Old 03-10-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Marcum View Post

Unfortunately, you can have one or the other, but not both similtaneously. I don't know of any bridge/access point that will function as both at the same time. I would still bite the bullet and buy a new media bridge (actually, I did just that when my older bridge no longer functioned with a new wireless router I had to buy) rather than replace the Pioneer W300 LAN adapter with another one. I bought mine for about $40 on sale and I think with just a little searching on your part, you can find a similar deal. The other advantage is I can connect two more ethernet devices in my media cabinet to the bridge if needed.

Ok Great! Thanks, I appreciate the knowledge!
post #3284 of 3298 Old 03-21-2014, 08:27 AM

Liked: 11
I am looking at a used 1121, are there specific things I should do to "test" for any of the major issues some of you guys are seeing? I got stuck with a lemon Onkyo 606, and don't want to waste any more money on crap used receivers...

Edit: I've been reading the posts, and there seems to be some substantial issues with this receiver. Is this thing even worth consideration, or should I wait and buy something from Costco (at twice the money?) They have a Sony and a Yamaha, and seemed to stand behind the products they sell better than most places...
post #3285 of 3298 Old 03-21-2014, 09:07 PM

Liked: 11
I've had my 1121 for over 2 years now with no problems. Great receiver IMHO.
post #3286 of 3298 Old 03-23-2014, 04:00 PM
uh2

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmallen View Post

I've had my 1121 for over 2 years now with no problems. Great receiver IMHO.

Same here. Two years and no problems.
post #3287 of 3298 Old 03-24-2014, 03:38 PM

A few months ago my 1121 would start going to the tv/sat input upon boot regardless of where I want it to go. I have always had that input switched off in settings and I can't figure out how to correct this. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Samsung HL-67A750A1F | Pioneer VSX-1121-K | Energy Take Classic 5.0 | BIC America F12 | Xbox 360 Windows Media Center 7 | Belkin PureAV PF30
post #3288 of 3298 Old 03-24-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnxx View Post

Anyone having no audio through HDMI from computers?
I get sound from speakers not HDMI.

I know it's not a) computer because multiple computers have same problem and they can output directly to TVs and b) not cable because it works fine with other non-PC devices and c) not receiver because it outputs sound from HDMIT sound input fine from other devices.

So what gives?
Bottom right corner of your pc right click on the sound icon. You will see an option to use the HDMI connection, and usually the PC is smart enough to know what it is plugged into (ex. VSX-1121) Just not smart enough to turn it on for you.

Samsung HL-67A750A1F | Pioneer VSX-1121-K | Energy Take Classic 5.0 | BIC America F12 | Xbox 360 Windows Media Center 7 | Belkin PureAV PF30
post #3289 of 3298 Old 05-03-2014, 10:37 AM

I have had it now for over 2 years without much issue but at the same time I only used it sparingly meaning a few hours a week over the weekend and not constantly ON with TV.

About 6-9 months ago I have started to see an issue where the icontrolAV2 app cannot find the receiver. Only way I can get it going is unplug it and plug back.

I thought it was my router or bridge I use but rebooting those does not fix it and unplug works no need to do anything else.

Anyone has this experience? maybe the firmware update last year did it because I have started to see less that an year ago.
post #3290 of 3298 Old 05-27-2014, 03:06 PM

Liked: 16
rolleyes.gif i'm sure i'm going to jinx myself, but i bought my pioneer from newegg on 11-25-2011 and have had zero issues... i use it with my sony XBR4, ps3, and popcorn hour a-300, along with multiple iphones and computers..... i have it hooked up to 4 polk audio monitor40s, 1 CS2 series II center, and powered sub (PSW505) and a TP-Link Gigabit switch with Linksys router...

current software: 1-204-087-119-093

XBR-55X850, KDL-40XBR4 8000+ hours
post #3291 of 3298 Old 05-30-2014, 08:23 PM

Liked: 14
I just started having Pandora issues again and was wondering if anyone else was experiencing issues. After I log into Pandora, and click on "my stations" I get a "retrieving stains error" and then nothing else. Internet radio works fine and the iPad app works. I reset the router and modem to no success
post #3292 of 3298 Old 05-31-2014, 10:18 PM
uh2

Quote:
Originally Posted by iafzal View Post

I have had it now for over 2 years without much issue but at the same time I only used it sparingly meaning a few hours a week over the weekend and not constantly ON with TV.

About 6-9 months ago I have started to see an issue where the icontrolAV2 app cannot find the receiver. Only way I can get it going is unplug it and plug back.

I thought it was my router or bridge I use but rebooting those does not fix it and unplug works no need to do anything else.

Anyone has this experience? maybe the firmware update last year did it because I have started to see less that an year ago.

I have this problem now, BUT I recently purchased a Yamaha 475 for the basement. What I believe is happening, is the Yamaha is responding to the broadcast before the Pioneer is. I know this,because I downloaded and Android app that lets me actually select which receiver I want to control. When I fire it uo, the Yamaha always shows up as the discovered receiver and I have to manually select the Pioneer.

Do you have any other devices on you network that may be 'listening' for an AV controller app?
post #3293 of 3298 Old 06-02-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uh2 View Post

I have this problem now, BUT I recently purchased a Yamaha 475 for the basement. What I believe is happening, is the Yamaha is responding to the broadcast before the Pioneer is. I know this,because I downloaded and Android app that lets me actually select which receiver I want to control. When I fire it uo, the Yamaha always shows up as the discovered receiver and I have to manually select the Pioneer.

Do you have any other devices on you network that may be 'listening' for an AV controller app?

Which app do you have that lets you connect to both Yamaha and Pio?

My problem is many months old and usually after a week of not using the 1121 I am not able to connect to it using iControlAV2 app. If I unplug power for a few seconds it starts to respond and is usually good for a week. So my thinking is over a period of time due to some event it loses the connection or something in 1121 stops functioning that dos not allow for the app to connect to it.

I do not have any other AVR or network controller that I can think will interfere with it. Only AVR controlling app I have is the one from Pioneer for 1121.
post #3294 of 3298 Old 06-02-2014, 04:00 PM
uh2

Quote:
Originally Posted by iafzal View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by uh2 View Post

Which app do you have that lets you connect to both Yamaha and Pio?

My problem is many months old and usually after a week of not using the 1121 I am not able to connect to it using iControlAV2 app. If I unplug power for a few seconds it starts to respond and is usually good for a week. So my thinking is over a period of time due to some event it loses the connection or something in 1121 stops functioning that dos not allow for the app to connect to it.

I do not have any other AVR or network controller that I can think will interfere with it. Only AVR controlling app I have is the. ne from Pioneer for 1121.

I'll have to check my tablet when I get home on an hour or so. It was the only app I found that was brand agnostic.
post #3295 of 3298 Old 06-02-2014, 04:06 PM

Liked: 16
If you're having repeated trouble connecting... Try giving your devices static IP addresses...
That helped me connect iPhone 5 to the receiver.

XBR-55X850, KDL-40XBR4 8000+ hours
post #3296 of 3298 Old 07-14-2014, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd54321 View Post
My VSX-1121 shuts off Zone 2 about every 30 minutes. I can't figure out what is going on - is anyone else having the same issue?

I experienced this same issue when using the iControlAV2 iOS app. I thought this was a quirk of the app, but last night, I was not using the app when the issue occurred again. I was outputting music from my Apple TV, which was hooked up via a DAC to an analog input on the VSX, this analog input was routed to Zone 2.

My setup is as follows: Zone 2 pre-out > Aton DLA6 speaker switcher > Distributed audio speakers

Any help is appreciated.
I am having the same problem you describe! Doesn't seem to matter whether using iOS app or not. I originally thought it might be a bad connection with my speaker wire, so I replaced all the wires for Zone 2 but the problem still exists.

Very frustrating and not sure what to do next.
post #3297 of 3298 Old 07-14-2014, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete7steps View Post
I am having the same problem you describe! Doesn't seem to matter whether using iOS app or not. I originally thought it might be a bad connection with my speaker wire, so I replaced all the wires for Zone 2 but the problem still exists.

Very frustrating and not sure what to do next.
My unscientific and somewhat uneducated guess on this is that Zone 2 is being overwhelmed (i.e., overheats) by the speaker output and cuts out. I also think there is a parallel issue using the ControlAV app to control the receiver.

Ughhh.
post #3298 of 3298 Old 07-14-2014, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd54321 View Post
My unscientific and somewhat uneducated guess on this is that Zone 2 is being overwhelmed (i.e., overheats) by the speaker output and cuts out. I also think there is a parallel issue using the ControlAV app to control the receiver.

Ughhh.
I agree about overheating. That would mean overheating of just Zone 2 circuitry, since Zone 1 continues to operate. However, one would think that once it overheats and you restart it, that it would cut out again more quickly, but that is not always the case. Just seems like random intervals to me.

The problem occurs whether or not I use the ControlAV app. But sometimes when the problem occurs, the app can no longer find the receiver and I get a network error until I unplug the receiver and let it "reboot."

I contacted Pioneer via their support webpage, will post if I get a response.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page