Pioneer VSX-1121 Owner's Thread - Page 112 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #3331 of 3350 Old 07-17-2015, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylwill View Post
Im suddenly having HDMI problems, I have 2 OTA tivos and 1 Direct TV and 1 BluRay DVD, it seems that Im having problems where I loose video or audio or both and I have to wiggle the cables for the source in. They all seem very loose with a lit of slop. All cables and all inputs. Has anyone else had such a problem. I have a new cable and it does the same thing, its sloppy and I have to play with it to get a connection. Im not sure if its the HDMI board or the connectors, any ideas?
Replacing all the HDMI cables fix all the problems. Seems that the pins lost their spring inside the cable shell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 3350 Old 07-17-2015, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Can someone tell me how to turn off and on the speakers with the remote? Im using earphones plugged in the back and the only way I can hear only through them is if I turn off the speakers. I want to program this into my harmony remote.
If I am not mistaken, there is not a button for that on the remote. You have to push the A and or B buttons on the unit itself to turn off the speakers.
post #3333 of 3350 Old 07-17-2015, 06:32 PM

I was afraid of that. Which is what I am doing now.
post #3334 of 3350 Old 07-17-2015, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
I was afraid of that. Which is what I am doing now.
They probably thought that one will usually have to go to the receiver to plug the headphones in anyways, might as well just push the buttons while there.
post #3335 of 3350 Old 07-17-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
They probably thought that one will usually have to go to the receiver to plug the headphones in anyways, might as well just push the buttons while there.

There wireless connected to the back of the receiver jacks.
post #3336 of 3350 Old 07-18-2015, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm selling my VSX-1121k

I posted my Pioneer VSX-1121k for sale on eBay if anyones interested. It's barely used and in near mint condition.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-VSX-...item43df759c9e

Sorry if this doesn't belong here...just trying to let people know if they are looking for a nice used one.

Thanks,
GF
post #3337 of 3350 Old 09-05-2015, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
H.M.G not working

When I try to turn on the HMG it starts up for a second and then just switches back to one of my other inputs. Has anyone else experienced this and how did you fix it. Thanks for your help.
post #3338 of 3350 Old 09-07-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9132 View Post
When I try to turn on the HMG it starts up for a second and then just switches back to one of my other inputs. Has anyone else experienced this and how did you fix it. Thanks for your help.
Mine has always done that. I turn it on and select Tivo1 for instance but it goes back to a default input, sometimes I have to select Tivo1 2 or 3 times before it stays there.
I hope there is a fix. except leaving it on 24/7
post #3339 of 3350 Old 10-08-2015, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Mine has always done this. I've had to keep trying until it sticks...very annoying. It also drops from the network regularly. It's hard wired so no Wifi issues.

My receiver also loses sound from the left speaker, subwoofer, and every so often right speaker. Mainly the left speaker....pretty much constantly. If I do the advanced sound test (loud static, so stupid) it works just fine afterwards. Once tuned off though, I have to do it again upon powering up. I've been fairly happy with this receiver but thinking it's time to go with Yamaha. There's been multiple other issues as well.
post #3340 of 3350 Old 11-29-2015, 03:09 PM

I have 2 questions. I've had my 1121 since it came out and didn't start having the speaker pop issue until after the first year. As of 2 pages back it looks like there was never a fix for it, correct?

Also, a buddy of mine has played DVD's directly from a PS3 and then a newer blu ray player that look much better than DVD's played on my PS3 through the 1121. I have seen this on 2 of his TV's and mine is quite capable of excellent picture. I don't play very many DVD's as much of my library is blu ray or digital, but it is frustrating to see his set up perform better lol. If the issue isn't the display, is there an up-conversion setting that I could have wrong? Should the PS3 or 1121 be doing the work? Does one or the other have to be turned off?

Visiting since 2002!
post #3341 of 3350 Old 12-06-2015, 12:18 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
There wireless connected to the back of the receiver jacks.
Which plugs on the back of the receiver did you use for your wireless headphones so that you are still able to to keep the main speakers on? Was it the optical out jack? We are trying to allow my dad to use headphones to help him listen (he's hearing impaired) without turning off the speakers (such as what happens when you plug the headphones into the headphone jack).
post #3342 of 3350 Old 12-06-2015, 12:31 AM

Just below the svideo connector in the mddle are a right and left center out one above the other. I use some cheap but good RF (not FM) headphones and the surround sound is great, I sware I can actually tell when a sound is behind me..
post #3343 of 3350 Old 12-07-2015, 09:35 PM

Sonos player with optical audio + HDMI

Hi all,

This receiver has served me well with a traditional home theatre speaker setup until today. I decided to mess around with the SONOS components and bought a playbar and a sub. The playbar requires optical audio to work. I have not been using the optical ports, only HDMI. This has worked fine. Now I am trying to run the optical out in conjunction with HDMI and am not sure this is doable. When I run a cable from the optical out to the playbar, I get nothing. Furthermore, the optical ports do not appear to be active as I don't see any lights from them. Perhaps this is because the HDMI circuit is being used? I am hoping that optical can run in conjunction with HDMI, but so far, no luck. What *has* worked is choosing "HDMI through" from the options menu, which disables the auto HDMI feature, and I'm afraid most of the goodness that this receiver offers. Sure, I can get audio, but I am wondering what will happen with my other components (using a Tivo now).

Any and all advice/info on this would be most appreciated. This thread has been a fantastic resource for me over the years!

Rob
post #3344 of 3350 Old 12-10-2015, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have owned the VSX-1121 for about 2.5 years now, I think. Last week I turned it on with my Roku input and only had audio playing from the Roku (no picture to my TV from the HDMI out on the receiver). I turned it off and then back on, and from that point forward I have not had either the audio or video playing from the receiver. I tried several options, looked to make sure I didn't have anything muted, etc., but I got nothing. I tried unplugging it for about an hour and that did not work. As a last resort, I did a reset to factory settings with the hold down the enter button and the standby at the same time option and put it back to factory settings. I still do not have anything coming out from the receiver to my speakers or TV.

My question is whether or not this receiver is dead or not. I can still change inputs, settings, etc. on the receiver, but I just do not get an output of any kind. Any advice that I can try before ordering a new receiver?
post #3345 of 3350 Old 12-10-2015, 06:27 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Just below the svideo connector in the mddle are a right and left center out one above the other. I use some cheap but good RF (not FM) headphones and the surround sound is great, I sware I can actually tell when a sound is behind me..
I tried plugging some earplugs into those outputs using an RCA/headphone jack adapter but I didn't get any sound - do I need some sort of mini-amp in order to connect wired headphones to those outputs or is there something else I need to do?

I was thinking about getting dad a pair of open-back (he needs to be able to hear the phone ring when listening) RF headphones that plug into the optical out, but was worried the slight signal delay might be annoying to him or people sitting near him. If your headphones are open-back, have you not had that problem?
post #3346 of 3350 Old 12-10-2015, 06:31 PM

Im using a cheap pair of Big Lots RF ones about $15 and they work great. The RF ones have an amp inside the transmitter and the impiedence is low but ear bids are high so I doubt you'll hear anything unless you turn the volume way up, besides the earphones have a volume control inside them and an amp.
aliparand likes this.
post #3347 of 3350 Old 12-15-2015, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I am trying to connect my Windows 10 Ultrabook with Intel Radeon 4400 graphics (latest driver installed) to my Pioneer VSX-1121 receiver through the front HDMI port. The TV is a Mitsubishi WD-82840 DLP.

The computer recognizes the display as "VSX-1121" but I get no Audio or Video. I hook up the laptop directly to the TV and it works fine.

Any idea why the receiver isn't passing the signal to the TV? Is it capable of what I'm trying to do? I want to end up getting audio through the receiver so I can play through my speakers and video on my TV.
post #3348 of 3350 Old 12-15-2015, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I am trying to connect my Windows 10 Ultrabook with Intel Radeon 4400 graphics (latest driver installed) to my Pioneer VSX-1121 receiver through the front HDMI port. The TV is a Mitsubishi WD-82840 DLP.

The computer recognizes the display as "VSX-1121" but I get no Audio or Video. I hook up the laptop directly to the TV and it works fine.

Any idea why the receiver isn't passing the signal to the TV? Is it capable of what I'm trying to do? I want to end up getting audio through the receiver so I can play through my speakers and video on my TV.
post #3349 of 3350 Old 12-15-2015, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by graymoment View Post
I have owned the VSX-1121 for about 2.5 years now, I think. Last week I turned it on with my Roku input and only had audio playing from the Roku (no picture to my TV from the HDMI out on the receiver). I turned it off and then back on, and from that point forward I have not had either the audio or video playing from the receiver. I tried several options, looked to make sure I didn't have anything muted, etc., but I got nothing. I tried unplugging it for about an hour and that did not work. As a last resort, I did a reset to factory settings with the hold down the enter button and the standby at the same time option and put it back to factory settings. I still do not have anything coming out from the receiver to my speakers or TV.

My question is whether or not this receiver is dead or not. I can still change inputs, settings, etc. on the receiver, but I just do not get an output of any kind. Any advice that I can try before ordering a new receiver?
It seems as though my message did not get a response, which makes me think that this might not have been the right place to post my question.

Can someone help point me in the right direction in terms of where I can go to determine if my receiver is repairable, or if it's dead and I need to buy a new one? I would expect a receiver to last more than a few years, but maybe not.

Thanks in advance for any help in pointing me in the right direction.
post #3350 of 3350 Old 12-17-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graymoment View Post
It seems as though my message did not get a response, which makes me think that this might not have been the right place to post my question.

Can someone help point me in the right direction in terms of where I can go to determine if my receiver is repairable, or if it's dead and I need to buy a new one? I would expect a receiver to last more than a few years, but maybe not.

Thanks in advance for any help in pointing me in the right direction.
Hey there. I think because this receiver is a few years old that fewer of the "experts" are hanging out here. Mostly it's people who have questions (like me, a few above, also unanswered). Hopefully a more knowledgeable person will swing on by and help us all out.

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page