Pioneer VSX-1121 Owner's Thread - Page 113 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #3361 of 3382 Old 12-31-2016, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by sreed View Post
If I hook up a 4k source to directly to my VSX-1121 such as a PlayStation 4 or a Chromecast Ultra, will it pass through the 4k video to my Samsung 4k TV? In the specs the 1121 seems to output 1080p.
It will not, unless somewhere in the specs it says it will do 4k passthrough.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3362 of 3382 Old 01-25-2017, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Well, I hate to say it but as of today, the UE22 error has come back and the receiver no longer works again.
Since getting the board back, I installed two small muffin fans on the inside of the case to pull warm air out. However, I never got around to putting the top back on so for months, it's been sitting on my shelf working with the top off.

Yesterday, I thought something got disconnected but could not figure out what so thought I'd look at it today since there was no sound. Today, the flashing EU22 is back and the receiver is dead again.
post #3363 of 3382 Old 01-25-2017, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Mine lasted about 4 months after a good "baking". It now doubles as a paper weight.

post #3364 of 3382 Old 02-14-2017, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Question Pioner VSX-1121-k - 7.1 S-Back sound issue

Hello
I have used this receiver in a 5.1 config for 5 years without issue. I have now added (2) SB surround back speakers for a 7.1 system.

I can't get a peep out of the SB speakers with any movie. DTS, DD EX, etc., nothing!

1. In the MCACC speaker setup, I chose Normal with the front wide option. There is no option for 7.1 normal only. The SB speakers are connected to the SB terminals as instructed.

2. MCACC recognizes the SB speakers and setup the volume and distance - no problem.

2. In the THX options, I have SB set to auto. (there is also a manual setting)

3. On the front of the receiver, I chose speaker A for SB.
Speaker B says it is for the Front Wide, which I don't use, but have also tried A and B to no avail... No 2nd zone needed. Just a basic 7.1!

What am I missing? Any help would be appreciated.
post #3365 of 3382 Old 02-14-2017, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace5000 View Post
Hello
I have used this receiver in a 5.1 config for 5 years without issue. I have now added (2) SB surround back speakers for a 7.1 system.

I can't get a peep out of the SB speakers with any movie. DTS, DD EX, etc., nothing!

1. In the MCACC speaker setup, I chose Normal with the front wide option. There is no option for 7.1 normal only. The SB speakers are connected to the SB terminals as instructed.

2. MCACC recognizes the SB speakers and setup the volume and distance - no problem.

Speaker B says it is for the Front Wide, which I don't use, but have also tried A and B to no avail... No 2nd zone needed. Just a basic 7.1!

Just as a first question, do the movies that you have been testing it with have a 7.1 soundtrack?
post #3366 of 3382 Old 02-22-2017, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Configuration help. Trying to figure out if it's the receiver or something else. Movies with LFE and this receiver sound great. Proper bass and everything else. I'm running a full RBH/EMP Impression setup (towers, big center, bookshelf surrounds) and a Hsu VTF-3. The problem is when I play anything in a stereo (essentially 2.1) there's no bass. Did a lot of poking around on the internet and found this to be an issue. I've tried a bunch of different configurations. I found that setting subwoofer to plus and fronts to Large, I get good bass, but I really don't want the front speakers handling all the really low end bass. I just feel like the setup is lacking in the 30 or 40 to 80 hz department with the way this receiver is set up. Is there something else I should be trying?
post #3367 of 3382 Old 02-27-2017, 02:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadiburns View Post
Configuration help. Trying to figure out if it's the receiver or something else. Movies with LFE and this receiver sound great. Proper bass and everything else. I'm running a full RBH/EMP Impression setup (towers, big center, bookshelf surrounds) and a Hsu VTF-3. The problem is when I play anything in a stereo (essentially 2.1) there's no bass. Did a lot of poking around on the internet and found this to be an issue. I've tried a bunch of different configurations. I found that setting subwoofer to plus and fronts to Large, I get good bass, but I really don't want the front speakers handling all the really low end bass. I just feel like the setup is lacking in the 30 or 40 to 80 hz department with the way this receiver is set up. Is there something else I should be trying?
Stereo will not output LFE. you will have to wire your front terminals to go to the Sub as well in addition to LFE (assuming your Sub has the capability) so that the Sub can filter and play the Low Bass
post #3368 of 3382 Old 02-27-2017, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace5000 View Post
Hello

I have been using the 7.1 speaker B setting and my SBL SBR work fine on speaker A. When set to A+B the backs go silent which is correct. Suggest you try the speaker B setting (see page 13 - C setting) - just don't connect speaker B. The VSX1121 has 7 amplifiers and I think that your current SB/FW setting will allow only the Fronts-wide-centre-side (total 7) to work. The SB's will remain silent.
For general info the receiver only decodes 5.1 audio. The surround back audio is just processed to give you additional SBL and SBR effects.
post #3369 of 3382 Old 02-27-2017, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkohli View Post
I have been using the 7.1 speaker B setting and my SBL SBR work fine on speaker A. When set to A+B the backs go silent which is correct. Suggest you try the speaker B setting (see page 13 - C setting) - just don't connect speaker B. The VSX1121 has 7 amplifiers and I think that your current SB/FW setting will allow only the Fronts-wide-centre-side (total 7) to work. The SB's will remain silent.
For general info the receiver only decodes 5.1 audio. The surround back audio is just processed to give you additional SBL and SBR effects.
That's good info., I'll try it tonight - thanks!
post #3370 of 3382 Old 03-11-2017, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Has anyone played with the sound settings in Audio Parameter? I've had this receiver a long time, but I never adjusted S. RTRV which may help compressed audio on H.M.G. I also am curious about the Center Width (C. Width) and Virtual Front Height (V. Height).

Any experience?

Visiting since 2002!

Last edited by Nick_WI; 03-16-2017 at 05:53 PM.
post #3371 of 3382 Old 03-16-2017, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_WI View Post
Has anyone played with the sound settings in Audio Parameter? I've had this receiver a long time, but I never adjusted S. RTRV which may help compressed audio on H.M.G. I also am curious about the Center Width (C. Width) and Virtual Front Height (V. Height).

Any experience?
Most owners gone? Given up after UE22? Never used these settings?

BTW, if you do experience UE22 there is a free repair offered by Pioneer. There's a separate thread detailing it.

Visiting since 2002!
post #3372 of 3382 Old 05-07-2017, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadiburns View Post
for 2.1 set up. you can set your fronts to small if that's what you want then the sub set to PLUS so that your sub will still be active all the time even when playing stereo. try setting your x-over to 120/150 so that your sub can also help out a little bit to the mids. this was also my problem for years then I just figure it out about 2 months ago. I almost bought a new AVR but now I'll just keep using this receiver until it will stop working.
post #3373 of 3382 Old 05-07-2017, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
just curious if anybody knows what is the brand/model of DAC does this receiver used? I can see the DAC specs from Pioneer website but does not mentioned the manufacturer/brand. thanks.
post #3374 of 3382 Old 08-05-2017, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Can anyone help with a volume issue? I just picked up an Audio Technica LP60 turntable and hooked it up via the CD input with RCA cables. The volume I get cannot be controlled and is too loud. When I turn it all the way down the volume remains the same no matter what.

Visiting since 2002!
post #3375 of 3382 Old 08-05-2017, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Can anyone help with a volume issue? I just picked up an Audio Technica LP60 turntable and hooked it up via the CD input with RCA cables. The volume I get cannot be controlled and is too loud. When I turn it all the way down the volume remains the same no matter what.
you have a:

"Built-in switchable phono pre-amplifier with RCA output cables to connect to audio systems and powered speakers"

maybe you need to "switch" it... whatever that means...

XBR-55X850A, KDL-40XBR4 8000+ hours
post #3376 of 3382 Old 08-05-2017, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

I was hoping it was that easy, but when I flip the switch I end up with no sound. I'm not sure why I get loud, clear sound but can't turn it up or down.

Visiting since 2002!
post #3377 of 3382 Old 08-05-2017, 10:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Hi Nick_WI, with LP60 connected to CD input with RCA and with turntable preamp switch to LINE. Make sure the receiver input signal for CD input is set to ANALOG (using Signal Sel on the remote).
shivaji likes this.
post #3378 of 3382 Old 08-06-2017, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
Hi Nick_WI, with LP60 connected to CD input with RCA and with turntable preamp switch to LINE. Make sure the receiver input signal for CD input is set to ANALOG (using Signal Sel on the remote).
Thank you for the idea. It was on Line already though. I used the remote to switch to analog but still no volume control. It had been on Auto SigSel. Still coming through loud and clear with no way to turn it down.

Anyone know if there is a different analog input I should try?

Visiting since 2002!

Last edited by Nick_WI; 08-06-2017 at 08:44 AM.
post #3379 of 3382 Old 08-06-2017, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Thank you for the idea. It was on Line already though. I used the remote to switch to analog but still no volume control. It had been on Auto SigSel. Still coming through loud and clear with no way to turn it down.

Anyone know if there is a different analog input I should try?
Any audio RCA analog should work (Video, DVD, etc...). If still the same, then try resetting turntable (if such a setting is available) or unplug turntable power cord for a few.

Or you can test the CD input with another component to see if volume can be control.
post #3380 of 3382 Old 08-06-2017, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
Any audio RCA analog should work (Video, DVD, etc...). If still the same, then try resetting turntable (if such a setting is available) or unplug turntable power cord for a few.

Or you can test the CD input with another component to see if volume can be control.
Tried unplugging it but still the same. The sound at -79.5dB is the same as -20.0dB

I'll have to try another component to see what's going on. Volume works just fine for all my digital inputs.

Visiting since 2002!
post #3381 of 3382 Old 08-09-2017, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Pulled everything apart to try a different input and realized I was not plugged into CD In. Switched over to that, like I should have been, and all is working now.
post #3382 of 3382 Old 08-13-2017, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDD337 View Post
just curious if anybody knows what is the brand/model of DAC does this receiver used? I can see the DAC specs from Pioneer website but does not mentioned the manufacturer/brand. thanks.
Burr-Brown If I remember correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page